Alan Stockdale wants to be President

Chopper Lovell

Good treasurers are usually suited to being just that - good treasurers. However we need a great leader = a greater fighter - for the club.

Get him/her & quality treasurers & other support crew will line up at the door.

No disrespect, but Alan is dour &, like Don M, is not that ultimate leader.

Eddie is the classic example. The B&W masses are like magnets to his steely leadership.

Others do the fancy work.

Give us a leader. [Kennett is a leader, but I would rather fold!!] We need a dynamo.

• Like 1

Why can't there ever be stability at this club, these high rollers show nothing but contempt for us supporters, they make me sick.

• Like 6

I know Sweet Fanny Adams about any of the candidates mentioned in this thread, but if only half of what Redleg has stated in post 21 is on the money, then I am very, very nervous about Stockdale.

• Like 1

I didn't realise Stockdale was still alive. Good on him!

If he is going to be Prez and front the cameras he is going to need to take the whipper snipper to those eyebrows or they may interfere with the television signalling.

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on heading back into the past. We have decided to go to the AFL for assistance. We have done a sh%t job on our own. They/we have appointed Jackson as CEO and I hope the new Prez would be in sync with Jackson and the AFL.Let's see what sort of recovery they can bring about for the MFC.

At the end of the day the AFL hold all the strings as to whether we make a fist of the football caper going forward or not.

It's a no vote from me!

• Like 4

Stockdale is a highly competent lawyer and as a politician is known for his role as State Treasurer in implementing Jeff Kennett's revolution of privatisation and cutbacks when in government in the 1990s. Some would say he and Jeff saved the state, others that they left it without a heart and a soul. As an MFC board member he was up to his neck in the intrigue that led to the overthrow of Joe Gutnick and the subsequent destabilisation of the club.

Personally, I would prefer others as Stockdale represents a step back in time to an era when the club languished. The knifing of Joe brought us the Szondy regime and we know where that got us.

Nevertheless, he's apparently put his hand up although it appears that he won't make an official move until after the federal election (given that he's National President of the Liberal Party). He has yet to speak about his vision for the club and, dare I say it, we have no idea as to who will form his team which I guess makes them all "faceless" men at this point in time.

In that respect, it's all a bit hazy. The jury's well and truly out and I'm sure we'd all like to know how he plans to unify the club and restore its fortunes.

I agree, it's a step back in time, also he doesn't like what Jackson is doing so there would be unrest at the club, if they can't work together then Stockdale needs to back off.

Melbourne presidential wannabe Alan Stockdale doubts he can work with chief executive Peter Jackson

MELBOURNE is poised for internal war, with presidential wannabe Alan Stockdale challenging the authority of chief executive Peter Jackson.

[censored] off Stockdale you muppet.

yes he can [censored] off

Agree with everyone so far, what we dont need is more of the unnecessary disruption to our club. Please leave egos at the door, let PJ do what he was employed to do. The look and stance of Alan Stockdale just wants to puff his chest out. Not sure he's really in for the hard work. Its a "NO" from me.

I am over these old establishment guys trying to run the MFC.

I have had a gut full of them over the last 50 years.

He has been a board member in the past, what did that produce?

Yesterdays man from a past time period.

If this guy takes over i will be seriously considering my membership in 2014

I'm not sold on Stockdale at all, however after reading the article I get a different perspective on the situation. I don't think what he's saying is bad at all, he has a really good point. PJ is answerable to a board and it is interesting that he's trying to choose who that board will be, effectively he's hiring his boss. Corporate Governance? The circumstances are complicated because of the AFL basically running the club so the reality is that we don't have a choice but Stockdale is right.

But again, I'm not sold on Stockdale, I agree with others that I'd prefer someone with a younger and more vibrant 'brand' (god I hate that term)

• Like 5

I'm not sold on Stockdale at all, however after reading the article I get a different perspective on the situation. I don't think what he's saying is bad at all, he has a really good point. PJ is answerable to a board and it is interesting that he's trying to choose who that board will be, effectively he's hiring his boss. Corporate Governance? The circumstances are complicated because of the AFL basically running the club so the reality is that we don't have a choice but Stockdale is right.

But again, I'm not sold on Stockdale, I agree with others that I'd prefer someone with a younger and more vibrant 'brand' (god I hate that term)

This ^

Like Jarka says, not particularly sold on Stockdale but the point he makes is correct.

Interesting that Neitz is behind the stockdale move....

• Like 1

This ^

Like Jarka says, not particularly sold on Stockdale but the point he makes is correct.

Interesting that Neitz is behind the stockdale move....

Not going you DeeMfc as youre the messenger but Im not sure what difference Neeta makes , though its an interest point none the less.

Jackson understands corporate governance and he understands his duties within that relationship. Clearly he's not as certain that a Stockdale led Board is one that is necessarily going to steer the club down a prudent path.

• Like 6

I do have a question for Mr Stockdale

Where the f*** have you been the last 3-4 years ??? Especially after Jims passing. We had a reluctant leader whom Im sure would have been only too glad to hand over and work with someone who had the vested interests of the club at heart.

But you start beating your chest now ???

What givers sir ??

• Like 2

Jackson understands corporate governance and he understands his duties within that relationship. Clearly he's not as certain that a Stockdale led Board is one that is necessarily going to steer the club down a prudent path.

So he's hiring his boss. I understand the circumstances, just pointing out that Stockdale has a point.

I don't want Stockdale at all, but not for this reason. It would be nice for something to happen smoothly with our club though

• Like 1

The prospect of In-fighting at this time leaves me numb with disbelief.

• Like 6

Is there any evidence that jackson is in fact selecting the board and esp the president?

I'm sure the afl is trying to influence/approve it but the afl doesn't equal jackson in all cases

stockdale may be drawing a long bow re the ceo selecting the board

• Like 2

I think the last 8 weeks or thereabouts since Jackson has been in his current position has shown the benefits of good governance, stability and sound decision making.

I consider the previous period of destabilsation at the club when Stockdale was involved. I don't like the idea of I'm president or I'm nothing this is about the club I don't want a person leading us where it's all about me!

I have been happy with Jackson thus far and want him to stay, already todays story shows heading back to the past will see us leaking like a sieve to the media again and failing to learn from our problems of the past.

This is about the club Alan not about you

• Like 6

Not going you DeeMfc as youre the messenger but Im not sure what difference Neeta makes , though its an interest point none the less.

Agree bb59 just thought it interesting is all.

'Possibly', it might say something about how united they are or are not about the Jackson (AFL) way?

I thought (and still think) Jackson is quite neutral but who really knows the AFL's agenda?

Is there any evidence that jackson is in fact selecting the board and esp the president?

I'm sure the afl is trying to influence/approve it but the afl doesn't equal jackson in all cases

stockdale may be drawing a long bow re the ceo selecting the board

Im starting to see this as good ol fashioned political mischiefness .

A bit of a Straw argument going on here from AS.

Like you DC I think the selection of the board (at this juncture anyway ) is predominantly AFL ( Vlad ) driven.

PJ might be helping in the shopping but hes not doing the buying ( sts ) Vlads paying the bills here.

Looks like a bit of argy bargy and we can well live without that atm.

• Like 1