The coaching selection panel

DeeSpencer

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-07-11/panel-named-to-select-next-senior-coach

5 man committee for new coach

PJ - Chairman

David Parkin

Josh Mahoney

Todd Viney

Greg Healy

Very happy with Parkin and also Viney and Healy for footy knowledge. I think it's a smart move

No expert psychologist or HR person but that should be ok.

Also happy with people inside the club and for the clubs future ie. Healy and Viney on the committee.

The one that does surprise is Mahoney - considering he is applying for his own job does that impact his ability to select the coach?

• Like 1

Youd only need a shrink and hr person if seeking a newbie. We are not ( what a lovely change )

Senior coaches' record speaks for self .

No Garry Lyon. Hopefully this signals the end of his involvement with this club, he is now free to focus on what matters most to him; himself.

Hairy Garry.

• Like 4

Sites it concern anyone else that Viney is involved? What is his current role in relation to Craig as head coach?

What's his current role full stop?

I'm not sure what Viney does exactly but if he is a full time player development manager then I want him to do that job and stick around and I also like the idea of him having a good relationship with the incoming senior coach.

I get it that Lyon stuffed up the last two coaching selections, but really do we have to dump on the guy cos he tried? Garry was one of the few MFC players I have watched in the past forty odd years who could win a game off his own boot. I would always welcome him back to the club, ( Just not on a coaching selection panel).

P.S he was also the best step ladder the club has ever produced, just ask Jeff Farmer and Shaun Smith.

• Like 7

Sites it concern anyone else that Viney is involved?

Why would anyone be concerned that a guy who knows footy back to front and had successful assistant coaching stints at other clubs besides the MFC would be on the panel?

Todd Viney knows his stuff. He was with Clarkson in 2008.

He was also a mighty tough centreman.

He knows footy

hes whats known as a footballer's footballer

I get it that Lyon stuffed up the last two coaching selections, but really do we have to dump on the guy cos he tried? Garry was one of the few MFC players I have watched in the past forty odd years who could win a game off his own boot. I would always welcome him back to the club, ( Just not on a coaching selection panel).

P.S he was also the best step ladder the club has ever produced, just ask Jeff Farmer and Shaun Smith.

I fully expect Chris Dawes by the end of his career to rival Garry in his step ladder ability!

I think it was the nature of Garry coming back to the club that gets people off side. The first time with Bailey (who by the way I think wasn't too bad a coach at teaching the game he just lacked anyone around him to help him run professional fitness and training standards) saw Lyon come in as the expert hand and think he was right.

The second time he really didn't want to come and do it but he couldn't say no to Jim but the whole time he prattled on about how busy he was and so forth. I mean there are 24 hours in a day Garry and besides the footy show and a paper column could you really not find time to do it with conviction? And if he couldn't then surely he should've told Jim that and gone out there and found the right person to do it. It was a half hearted effort.

I don't see this as a good sign in regards to signing Roos that we have set up a panel to name a coach, surely if the club thought Roos was the man no panel would be required

I don't see this as a good sign in regards to signing Roos that we have set up a panel to name a coach, surely if the club thought Roos was the man no panel would be required

on the surface id agree. But much is a charade....that and a plausible fall back position if things go pear shape.

Off to a good start for Parko as he has just said he missed the first meeting cause of his TV commitment to League Teams.

If u r going to miss a meeting at least let it be for a good TV commitment!

Geez

Edited by DemonOX

Not really 100% sure but if say Paul Roos had signed or at least indicated he wanted the job would they need a commission like this to assess the suitability of potential assistants and so on?

everything i am hearing seems to be pointing to us being above a 50% chance of landing Roos, yet this move would suggest that is not accurate and we are having to look at other options

Not really 100% sure but if say Paul Roos had signed or at least indicated he wanted the job would they need a commission like this to assess the suitability of potential assistants and so on?

everything i am hearing seems to be pointing to us being above a 50% chance of landing Roos, yet this move would suggest that is not accurate and we are having to look at other options

I'm with u D26 in relation to your first point.

Roos will probably want a succession plan in place ala Longmire and they are interviewing to c who is out there.

Edited by DemonOX

I'm with u D26 in relation to your first point.

Roos will probably want a succession plan in place ala Longmire and they are interviewing to c who is out there.

Yeah that sounds like the most likely and most appropriate plan, would love to see some names like Ling, Kirk and so on, coaches from the best cultures

maybe a sumich or scott burns would be good for the succession plan.

Yeah that sounds like the most likely and most appropriate plan, would love to see some names like Ling, Kirk and so on, coaches from the best cultures

maybe a sumich or scott burns would be good for the succession plan.

Please NO sumich

Ling, Kirk or Black I would be more than happy to c at the dees

• Like 1

That was my thinking exactly.

Why would you have Viney and Mahoney on a committee to pick our next coach? He will be their boss as it presently stands. I do support the retention of Todd but ???????? Stupid decision that needs to be revoked. PJ needs to show some balls and change this or it will bite us on the arse soon enough. The club needs to make only smart, impartial decisions now, not convenient, mushy ones that may incidently benefit those already employed, but in a more minor position.

Jayzuz I thought this sort of crap was behind us now. Change it now !

Why would you have Viney and Mahoney on a committee to pick our next coach? He will be their boss as it presently stands. I do support the retention of Todd but ???????? Stupid decision that needs to be revoked. PJ needs to show some balls and change this or it will bite us on the arse soon enough. The club needs to make only smart, impartial decisions now, not convenient, mushy ones that may incidently benefit those already employed, but in a more minor position.

MMMMM let us see, how many coaches will be sort after, ahhhhh Roos no I won't coach, ahhhhhh that narrows it down to Choco and Eade anyone else need to be interviewed nahhhhhh don't think you need to worry about who is on the panel.

I get it that Lyon stuffed up the last two coaching selections, but really do we have to dump on the guy cos he tried?

YES YES YES. Don't we dump it on Jordy or Nicho when they try and kick it straight to the opposition? Plodders can only take you so far in any endeavour

Their skill set must match the task.... this runs through all levels of the club organization...

This is about recognizing weaknesses and not allowing people to do things they arent qualified to do. With Garry the problem was still partly his but blame could also be apportioned to lack of club professionalism

We're u listening to SEN this avo Still Waiting?

If i was being interviewed i would certainly have my own questions about the current list and who better to answer those questions than Mahoney and Viney

Prendergast , Harrington or Neeeld obviously wont be there and Neil Craig could not be part of the process as he could be also be a coaching candidate

I welcome this committee selection and the inclusion of Parkin is important coming from a club with the reputation of having the highest demands of success and being ruthless in achieving it

Oh and FWIW Parkin was a demon supporter as a kid