Jack Fitzpatrick

There was quite a bit of information given out to fans at the time of that draft. They said they didn't expect Gawn to fall to the 30's so were thrilled to snap him up and then they didn't expect Fitz to still be there at 50. Both were regarded as bargain picks. I seem to recall that they had planned on grabbing Fitz at 34 if available but couldn't pass up Gawn. The fact that they got both was considered a massive bonus.

Makes up a bit for Gysberts I guess. :o

Neeld would hardly have seen Fitz at the Western Jets. He was their senior TAC coach for '05, '06 and '07 before moving to Collingwood. Fitz would have been barely 16 the last time he coached them. Sounds like crap to me.

He coached Jack in 2007. Was appointed to Collingwood in 08. It's not rubbish.

Whats not well documented about Fitzy is that prior to his TAC year he was considered a possible top 10 pick. It was in his final year at High school that he was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and subsequently his draft ranking dropped accordingly. Given that we accept that big men take longer to develop, imagine having to cope with CFS at the same time. Since Jack has been at MFC he has had to endure a raft of injuries and of course the discovery of Diabetes earlier this year an illness that requires intense management and life style changes. It seemed like every time the kid had some clean air something would pop up out of nowhere and put him back to square one, and yet he kept going. Well done Jack. Over the past 4 years you have shown outstanding intestinal fortitude. Well done to the club as well for sticking by you. This is one instance where we can rightfully say we developed a player properly.

Well said.

• Like 3

He coached Jack in 2007. Was appointed to Collingwood in 08. It's not rubbish.

Please let's get our facts right.

Neeld was the coach of the Western Jets Under 18 team in 2007. Jack Fitzpatrick turned 16 that year and was in the middle of an ongoing battle with chronic fatigue syndrome (an illness he now has under control). How many games do you think he played under Neeld and how on earth do you think he would have made any assessment of the young Jack in those circumstances?

• Like 3

People are forgetting friztel was rated a top 5 pick until CFS hit. He was also vice captain for Vic Metro in 2009 and his leadership was very highly rated. We are now starting to see the rewards of hard work he has put in. The boys all love him too. Mark my words he will be a 150 plus game player us.

• Like 1

People are forgetting friztel was rated a top 5 pick until CFS hit. He was also vice captain for Vic Metro in 2009 and his leadership was very highly rated. We are now starting to see the rewards of hard work he has put in. The boys all love him too. Mark my words he will be a 150 plus game player us.

dd36, still dont think calling him "Fritzel" will catch on! Nothing about a incest old man who held his daughter in a rape dungeon makes for an endearing nick name?!!

• Like 4

Neeld was the coach of the Western Jets Under 18 team in 2007. Jack Fitzpatrick turned 16 that year and was in the middle of an ongoing battle with chronic fatigue syndrome (an illness he now has under control). How many games do you think he played under Neeld and how on earth do you think he would have made any assessment of the young Jack in those circumstances?

I tend to agree with you & Ralph, but without any inside knowledge, there is a chance that Neeld still made a firm judgment on Fitzy's ability to "make it" based on the limited exposure he had to him at that level.

Unwise to do so, but it wouldn't be the only mistake he made.

Oh so you mean they bring players into junior squads without checking them out, or trialling them, right, thought that was the case.....

...facts?.......let's just keep twisting everything till the rumour fits, so many budding modern journalists on this site

Oh so you mean they bring players into junior squads without checking them out, or trialling them, right, thought that was the case.....

...facts?.......let's just keep twisting everything till the rumour fits, so many budding modern journalists on this site

If you know how the system works hundreds of kids come under the attention of the Under 18 clubs and those introduced at under 16 level, whilst they do come under the scrutiny of the under 18 coach, are usually looked after by assistants. In Fitzpatrick's case, I suggest that Neeld could not have made up his mind about the kid's future AFL potential as a 15/16 year old while he was suffering from CFS.

I'm actually supporting your argument and not that of the rumour mongers who want to place every ill of the club perceived or otherwise at the feet of Mark Neeld.

If you know how the system works hundreds of kids come under the attention of the Under 18 clubs and those introduced at under 16 level, whilst they do come under the scrutiny of the under 18 coach, are usually looked after by assistants. In Fitzpatrick's case, I suggest that Neeld could not have made up his mind about the kid's future AFL potential as a 15/16 year old while he was suffering from CFS.

I'm actually supporting your argument and not that of the rumour mongers who want to place every ill of the club perceived or otherwise at the feet of Mark Neeld.

Thanks, Jack Fitzpatrick along with Garlo's improvement and the emergence of Terlich, are the good news stories of an otherwise poor season, it baffles me why some posters on here can't actually just move on.

I have hoped Fitzy could make it after meeting him just after he was drafted, for all he has been through health wise and to still battle his way into an AFL team, shows he has more ticker in one finger than some of the 'heroes' on here (who hide behind keyboards and nicknames) have in their whole being.

• Like 1

Makes up a bit for Gysberts I guess. :o

He forgot to mention the part when BP called Gysberts the third best midfielder in the draft and Tapscott a Chapman clone.

That night was just one big wankfest, from what I've heard.

Whats not well documented about Fitzy is that prior to his TAC year he was considered a possible top 10 pick. It was in his final year at High school that he was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and subsequently his draft ranking dropped accordingly. Given that we accept that big men take longer to develop, imagine having to cope with CFS at the same time. Since Jack has been at MFC he has had to endure a raft of injuries and of course the discovery of Diabetes earlier this year an illness that requires intense management and life style changes. It seemed like every time the kid had some clean air something would pop up out of nowhere and put him back to square one, and yet he kept going. Well done Jack. Over the past 4 years you have shown outstanding intestinal fortitude. Well done to the club as well for sticking by you. This is one instance where we can rightfully say we developed a player properly.

Not entirely correct. Jack was diagnosed with CFS when he was about 6 years old but it flared up (or whatever the terminology is) badly in his U18's year.

Below is an extract from a rundown from a early future fund post draft night. Interesting reading now.

Pick 34 – M.Gawn, very surprised he slipped, but it was no guarantee dees would take him. BP wanted a stay at home Key Forward (Fitzgerald), BP stated he doesn’t like recruiting rucks, and that they are relatively easy to trade for. He wanted Fitzgerald, the others wanted Gawn. So Gawn it was, he has put on 15kgs and 8cms this year. They are not sure if he has finished growing yet and are being very careful with him. He is returning from an ACL, and is part of the reason a player like Gawn slipped. Very agile for a big man and plays a bit like a ridiculously tall midfielder. Not a lot will be seen of him in 2010, but they have really big wraps on him, but will take a very cautious approach with Gawn. They also thought Fitzgerald was more likely to slip to pick 50, but they didn’t expect him to.

Pick 50 – J.Fitzgerald, they see him as a stay at home full forward (as Dees believe they have enough lead up forwards), BP asked Alan McConnell which key position players he rated that he had been in charge of at the AIS, three names, Butcher, Griffiths and Fitzgerald were mentioned. He was asked again, who were most likely to succeed at AFL level, he said Butcher and Fitzgerald. The reason he slipped to 50 was due to him contracting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1997, doctors generally say it takes 10 years to get over it, and Fitzgerald has not showed any signs of it since 2007 – 2 years clean. He has a very awkward kicking technique, in fact BP joked that the kicking coaches will have a heap of work to do with Fitzgerald, and his marking is not yet at AFL level. He has a good attack on the ball, and is very good below his knees and is agile. Aside from his height, he has elite speed, tested very well at the draft camp, in fact he was the quickest in repeat 20m sprints, and his 20m sprint was under 3 secs. Very, very quick, ie. good on a lead.

• Like 2

and this is from a person email from a recruiter from another club

Fitzpatrick???????? Not a fan. He has very good speed and agility for his size but his foot skills are shocking and he is lazy. His marking is hit and miss.
He is getting over Chronic Fatigue as a 15yr old but he has been playing on that for the past 3 years. I haven't spoke to him but my bosses went to Sth Africa with him as part of the AIS U18 tour a few years back and they said he was the biggest whinger and complainer they had every heard. They also said he is one of the most arrogant kids they have ever met. They wouldn't have drafted him with 100 picks.

Interesting case. He makes me miss Stef Martin. I've seen a fair bit of him at training over the years and he has the worst hands I've ever seen on a football field. Actually hilarious. I reckon I've seen him falcon himself half a dozen times. I literally just heard Luke Darcy say in the commentary on the replay that he is 'very very good overhead'. I think he's very very confused.

I hope for his sake he shows big improvement over the next few weeks with a bit of consistent game time - but for me I can't see it either.

How many years have you been watching him at training ? Luke Darcy's observations are more accurate and expert than I am betting yours would be. This guy is 21 !! and played a mere handful of games at senior level.. I will back him to succeed before Stefan Martin ever will.. Watch this space all you Fitzpatrick knockers... :cool:

• Like 1

If there is so much love strike while the iron is hot and use him as trade bait. We'll have Hogan, Dawes, Clark and Watts (hopefully) as all key forwards next year. He won't make the best 22 and struggle to crack the side if the forwards are uninjured. He could fetch a pretty penny during trade week.

and this is from a person email from a recruiter from another club

Fitzpatrick???????? Not a fan. He has very good speed and agility for his size but his foot skills are shocking and he is lazy. His marking is hit and miss.
He is getting over Chronic Fatigue as a 15yr old but he has been playing on that for the past 3 years. I haven't spoke to him but my bosses went to Sth Africa with him as part of the AIS U18 tour a few years back and they said he was the biggest whinger and complainer they had every heard. They also said he is one of the most arrogant kids they have ever met. They wouldn't have drafted him with 100 picks.

They were BAD judges !! Time will prove that... How old was he and who are your sources ?? Name them..I think Wayne Carey was arrogant and N Buckley AND many others whose names would take up a full page.. By the "biggest whinger" do you mean size and weight... Just "arksking" Fark .. Give the guy a go .. We are not actually travelling well enough to judge how many of our players will perform when they have a winning team around them to give them more support..Let's start an individual post on each player DL posters think are not up to it..!. Shyte.. I thought after Neeld was out the door we may start being more positive.. Get on board and be there when we are a force again.. We are heading in the right direction.. The rest of the season will sort out the men from the boys ...Most negative comments on players on DL will not influence the FD and those responsible for future Playing lists..All are being worked on now.. When you see or final list for 2014 have a whinge then... Go Dees

Below is an extract from a rundown from a early future fund post draft night. Interesting reading now.

Pick 34 – M.Gawn, very surprised he slipped, but it was no guarantee dees would take him. BP wanted a stay at home Key Forward (Fitzgerald), BP stated he doesn’t like recruiting rucks, and that they are relatively easy to trade for. He wanted Fitzgerald, the others wanted Gawn. So Gawn it was, he has put on 15kgs and 8cms this year. They are not sure if he has finished growing yet and are being very careful with him. He is returning from an ACL, and is part of the reason a player like Gawn slipped. Very agile for a big man and plays a bit like a ridiculously tall midfielder. Not a lot will be seen of him in 2010, but they have really big wraps on him, but will take a very cautious approach with Gawn. They also thought Fitzgerald was more likely to slip to pick 50, but they didn’t expect him to.

Pick 50 – J.Fitzgerald, they see him as a stay at home full forward (as Dees believe they have enough lead up forwards), BP asked Alan McConnell which key position players he rated that he had been in charge of at the AIS, three names, Butcher, Griffiths and Fitzgerald were mentioned. He was asked again, who were most likely to succeed at AFL level, he said Butcher and Fitzgerald. The reason he slipped to 50 was due to him contracting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1997, doctors generally say it takes 10 years to get over it, and Fitzgerald has not showed any signs of it since 2007 – 2 years clean. He has a very awkward kicking technique, in fact BP joked that the kicking coaches will have a heap of work to do with Fitzgerald, and his marking is not yet at AFL level. He has a good attack on the ball, and is very good below his knees and is agile. Aside from his height, he has elite speed, tested very well at the draft camp, in fact he was the quickest in repeat 20m sprints, and his 20m sprint was under 3 secs. Very, very quick, ie. good on a lead.

I believe Alistair Lynch was plagued with CFS... Didn't do too badly from what I can remember ?? Just Saying

They were BAD judges !! Time will prove that... How old was he and who are your sources ?? Name them..I think Wayne Carey was arrogant and N Buckley AND many others whose names would take up a full page.. By the "biggest whinger" do you mean size and weight... Just "arksking" Fark .. Give the guy a go .. We are not actually travelling well enough to judge how many of our players will perform when they have a winning team around them to give them more support..Let's start an individual post on each player DL posters think are not up to it..!. Shyte.. I thought after Neeld was out the door we may start being more positive.. Get on board and be there when we are a force again.. We are heading in the right direction.. The rest of the season will sort out the men from the boys ...Most negative comments on players on DL will not influence the FD and those responsible for future Playing lists..All are being worked on now.. When you see or final list for 2014 have a whinge then... Go Dees

WTF are you on about.

It is a short opinion from a recruiter from 4 years ago!!!! FMD

WTF are you on about.

It is a short opinion from a recruiter from 4 years ago!!!! FMD

WTF are YOU on about..you printed the extract from the email on DL ?? 4 years ago was it ? nothing to do with 2013 as the kid was only 17. FFS. I said what I thought about it.. !! Take a deep breath and have a lie down... WTF if you don't agree with me , I couldn't give a rat's

WTF are YOU on about..you printed the extract from the email on DL ?? 4 years ago was it ? nothing to do with 2013 as the kid was only 17. FFS. I said what I thought about it.. !! Take a deep breath and have a lie down... WTF if you don't agree with me , I couldn't give a rat's

Well, perhaps the issue here is that you wrote your response as if you were addressing the poster (Grimes Times) and not the email extract:

"They were BAD judges !! Time will prove that... How old was he and who are your sources ?? Name them..I think Wayne Carey was arrogant and N Buckley AND many others whose names would take up a full page.. By the "biggest whinger" do you mean size and weight... Just "arksking" Fark .. Give the guy a go .."

First time I've seen a players name spelt incorrectly 6 times in one paragraph.

• Like 4

It's a shame that a thread about one our few positives to emerge this year has been trashed by ego-driven point scoring. It's really quite pathetic.

Fitzpatrick can really play. He's gone from speculative pick to health concern to uncoordinated longshot to improver with a chance to someone who now believes they belong. His deficiencies are less obvious and his strengths are on display to the point where his speed and athleticism are highlighted as elite within the competition for someone his size. He works hard without the ball and his leads are well timed and his decision making outside of 50 seems sound. He's gone from a probably delist to being a genuine possibility as a starting player in a forwardline that most thought would be dominated by Clark, Dawes and Hogan. The emergence of Fitzpatrick and the improved form of Watts is giving us some incredible flexibility but no doubt a few headaches for those whose responsibility it is to manage our list. Who is that by the way?

• Like 13