Harry O

My Collingwood informant is adamant that Buckley is waiting for an apology from Harry for going off at him and swearing at him in front of the group. Harry is apparently quite sensitive and not really someone who typically gels with your average footballers. This is not necessarily a bad thing, except for it has now got to a point where he is a big distraction inside the club.

Good player or not, we have enough headaches to deal with.

• Like 2

One Jimmy Saville comes to mind.

touche.......you can add alan bond and many others

but that is not advancing the argument of either side

fact is none of us were there to witness the clash of one [censored] vs another

i just love it when collingwood start eating their own

despite all that i'd still have harry o at the right price

• Like 1

Your always going to lose when you run someone down in front of a group, I'm sure Buckley's consultants went face palm when he rubbished Harry.

Harry may well be a [censored], but pushed into a corner or feeling like it does tend to make people fire up.

You never fix someone's attitude by drilling them in front of others.

As for work places and conduct, the person who solves this dilemma will make more money than Bill Gates, HR is nightmare for any organization with more than 5 young men working together, sad to say blokes mature at vastly different rates.

• Like 1

Please tell me why having some sort of ethical side, even though you're a hard footballer, or an oil rig worker, is 'namby pamby'.

ethics Maurie... you may wish to fully investigate Harry's circumstances before offering such sage advice.

he is a hypocrytical self serving voice of his own accord by many a report.. You either buy into his personal advocacies or your apparently labeled this and that.

The point about certain workplace environments is they can often require to be more focussed on the job at hand than taking offence to the mearest barbs. .Its called life. These and sports are not decorated with cotton wool.

These and sports clubs are more often than not filled with more than a handful of larger than life types who's banter is often a bit ripe and occasionally niggly.. Its what it is.

No amount of OH & S , anti discrimination or anti vilification will ever stop one bloke from taking the [censored] out of others.

Sportsmen by nature are ultra competitive, things are always pushed to the brink. Even within the same club not all will be on the exact same page, there will be competition for spots as well as how they or anyone appears on the pecking order.

Then we come back to a simple notion often spotted . Some give it but dont take it as well .

Harry O is starting to sound like one who" Does protest too much !!"

Hes a pretty handy footballer but seriously strikes me as a [censored]

• Like 1

you may wish to fully investigate Harry's circumstances before offering such sage advice.

I don't think you've grasped my point, which was more rhetorical about the culture of football clubs (and oil rigs) than actually linked to Harry O.

I still can't see why society's changing norms and football club's attitudes are mutually exclusive, why having a conscience is 'namby pamby', and why football clubs can't move with the times, even though there might be a considerable delay.

Mark? Is that you?

shhhh !!! lol

I don't think you've grasped my point, which was more rhetorical about the culture of football clubs (and oil rigs) than actually linked to Harry O.

I still can't see why society's changing norms and football club's attitudes are mutually exclusive, why having a conscience is 'namby pamby', and why football clubs can't move with the times, even though there might be a considerable delay.

There comes the notion of the "nature of the beast"

Maurie i didnt misconstrue your intent ( too much ) i just dont abide by the idea its an overall reality.

I would understand that in mnay regards footy clubs have indeed moved with the times but I think youd find that many the front side of the business will do this in the main. By its very nature the engine room is a boys-world domain. Here in lays a a world of rucking antlers and pumping testosterone. Highly primed to go out and physically demand contact and endurance of pain. These are not the typical assetts of the workplace that most deal with.

The typical team comprises a list of 44 blokes ranging invariably from 17/18 to 30-ish. There will only be a handful near the top age end these days and only as many in the 25-27 cat as well id suspect. So in the main most are in the sub 25 age group.

Im all for educating them as to the requirements of a decent person in general society, to observe respect for the fairer sex, to treat all as equals ( though often many dont deserve it ) to observe laws and generally carry out their lives as useful to their fellow man as possible. But a reality is these are 'charged' personality types. They live in a bubble. their lives are NOT normal. The parameters they strive to meet are not common to the general populace. They invariably communicate to each other via the 'acquired name syndrome" , many of which in themselves would contravene PC ettiquettes Im sure.

These lads are geared to go out and work in a harmful place of contest. No, I dont want anyone with namby pamby tendencies or orientations there at all.

FMD..I reckon if Williams was to coach us and Harry O be on the list hed probably object to his boss being referred to as Choco !!

As Robbo ( HS) suggests Harry might just need to pull his head in.. I concur

Mark? Is that you?

we know its not MN

hes driving a bus for the cycling team in france atm

Well, perhaps Harry O has his reasons for his actions? Although I'm sure some on here with a low opinion of him, will claim it is all just attention seeking by Harry.

Undoubtedly depression has clouded his thoughts but I think the history of sexual abuse may well explain why Harry comes across as attention seeking.

I don't want to turn demonland to a discussion on Freud and psychoanalysis but it's well know sexual abuse increases the risk of personality disorders.

I also worry about his decision to proclaim all his troubles in a door stop media interview. It's not that a don't think he's very brave to come forward with his issues but he's missing a great opportunity to quietly come back to the team fold, do his training and start playing again and then detail some of his issues so that he can educate the public. He's still making it about him rather than trying to move on.

Again this guy needs some serious media/PR advice and mentoring about how he can be successful and not look like a [censored]. Otherwise he'll end up like Jeff Kennett in looking like a fool or end up getting fired from celebrity apprentice.

• Like 1

Perhaps best Harry steps aside for the moment and addresses his own situation before he seeks to rectify others on their behalf.

Mind not on the job id think, . Probably a priority he re-grounds himself and get away from the limelight.

Perhaps best Harry steps aside for the moment and addresses his own situation before he seeks to rectify others on their behalf.

Mind not on the job id think, . Probably a priority he re-grounds himself and get away from the limelight.

Yep this video confirms it:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-09/obriens-anguish

No one thinking straight would ever ask journo's the speculate on their history of sexual abuse. That isn't a comment that makes sense.

Honestly give me a break. I will NOT acknowledge this is a normal type office workplace. You are dealing with egos pampered at every turn.

Ambassadors for this.;. wankkers for that. We are talking a highly charged environment for those who are often self appointed this or that.

FMD theres a thing called a sense of humour...some have no skin let alone thin and wish this zero tolerance of the human condition enforced upon others.

This does not make it right though, BB. And a sense of humour doesn't apply here. It's an ignorantly stupid thing to say. If someone does find it funny, questions should be asked about their intelligence. It's this sort of attitude that gives footballers get a bad rep.

Edited by AdamFarr

He's still making it about him rather than trying to move on.

I'm not sure how you disassociate yourself from being sexually abused. Of course it's about him! True Harry might not be making wisest decisions confiding in the media but given the intensity of the media spotlight his judgement may well be flawed but understandable.

This does not make it right though, BB. And a sense of humour doesn't apply here. It's an ignorantly stupid thing to say. If someone does find it funny, questions should be asked about their intelligence. It's this sort of attitude that gives footballers get a bad rep.

A sense of humour applies to EVERYTHING in life.

Ask any psch...the way most deal with BAD things is to create humour about it or deal with it with humour. (a slight dif )

If you know anything about the Jews...you'll understand the need for humour. They are only one example.

Point being, its a tool for dealing with things., especially life.

A sense of humour applies to EVERYTHING in life.

Ask any psch...the way most deal with BAD things is to create humour about it or deal with it with humour. (a slight dif )

If you know anything about the Jews...you'll understand the need for humour. They are only one example.

Point being, its a tool for dealing with things., especially life.

or....you could take up gospel singing

• Like 1

Good luck to Harry.

Witnessing a murder is not the sort of thing you just forget. Amazingly, he obviously has worse to deal with.

I've witnessed human suffering on a scale that you don't forget and wish I was a big enough person to put my hand up 15 years ago and seek some help as some things you see, you can't just block out, they stick with you for a long time. It messes with your head for a long time whether you want to admit it or not.

It's not all about Harry, it's about a young man dealing with things that we can hardly imagine.

• Like 1

People making outlandish attention seeking comments while accusing someone of attention seeking.

What a horrible thread this has turned into. Leave the guy alone.

Think this thread should be closed now before it degenerates further.

Good luck to Harry.

Witnessing a murder is not the sort of thing you just forget. Amazingly, he obviously has worse to deal with.

I've witnessed human suffering on a scale that you don't forget and wish I was a big enough person to put my hand up 15 years ago and seek some help as some things you see, you can't just block out, they stick with you for a long time. It messes with your head for a long time whether you want to admit it or not.

It's not all about Harry, it's about a young man dealing with things that we can hardly imagine.

Rofl

I'm guessing most people saw him on the news, what an absolute [censored]. We need players who are tough, in both body and mind. Harry O is neither.

One of the worst posts I've EVER seen here. Grow up.

Mods PLEASE close this thread.

• Like 5