Dominic Sheed

9w7TQAQ.png

Let's just all concentrate on our second pick then.

If Jesse wants Sheed to be a Dee, then would anyone complain?

Not only did Sheed look like the best player during the champs - and by a bit - but he also fits 2 needs: 1, friend for Jesse.... 2, clearance machine/goal kicking midfielder.

In both televised rounds of the U18s, the players on display were totally underwhelming. Except Sheed's game against Vic Country, it appears a very ordinary pool of youngsters. That's just me and with admittedly little exposure to the players.

• 3 weeks later...

In my eyes, he is the kid with the most x-factor out of Aish, Kelly and Billings. Scharenberg is the other player I rate highly and would pick ahead of Kelly and Billings also.

Think about the importance of goal kicking mids. Sheed is a goal kicking mid. He is a contested ball king and still wins plenty on the outside and uses the ball well enough.

These are the mids we need.

In my eyes, he is the kid with the most x-factor out of Aish, Kelly and Billings. Scharenberg is the other player I rate highly and would pick ahead of Kelly and Billings also.

Think about the importance of goal kicking mids. Sheed is a goal kicking mid. He is a contested ball king and still wins plenty on the outside and uses the ball well enough.

These are the mids we need.

I haven't seen a kid stand out as much in the nationals since Dustin Martin.

Dusty done it so easy, but Dom done it on his ear, Sheed just put on a clinic and slotted goals to top it off!

By all reports, AIsh has the points on the board and I respect those who have more knowledge than myself, but still, I've watched the nationals for many years.

Those who perform on the big stage, like Dusty, Steele and Ollie have for their state - those players have gone on.

Midfielders that perform in the national championships should be judged highly, because they nearly always go on to perform.

On performance on the biggest stage, Sheed is a deadset stand out.

• Like 3

So we need Sheed, and this seems to be the type of player we need, and we here on Demonland recognize this.

Watch us take the guy that has more scope and needs more development. You can lock that one in!

So we need Sheed, and this seems to be the type of player we need, and we here on Demonland recognize this.

Watch us take the guy that has more scope and needs more development. You can lock that one in!

I'm not as convinced by Sheed as others, I just had a look at a bit of the game v Vic metro where he was BOG. There was something that was in the back of my mind on this game and watching again it was in the centre bounces he tended to run past the ball a lot and was not reading the ruck at all. Now as I say that's just a quick look and it's one game, I also can't say I can back it up with years of experience watching this level and where the player should be at in this stage in his career. He may be what we need but it would take more than watching a game or two or reading the mock drafts to know that.

I would think our recruiters (the ones we have now) would have a reasonable handle on him after seeing a lot of footy but I really like the idea of having some really experienced watchers who understand footy. I noticed during the championships the Geelong crew included Bill McMaster, now in his 80's still involved. That type of experience and involvement is invaluable. Imagine if we had someone like a Swooper Northey watching junior footy, giving an opinion and being listened too. A good footballer is a good footballer no matter when the play or played the game.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/mcmaster-of-his-trade/2009/11/24/1258824712384.html

Fantastic stats here (plenty of draftees also):

http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-dominic-sheed/

I originally rated others ahead of Sheed, although now I would take him in a heart beat above all other midfielders in this years draft.

Fingers crossed we get a concession draft pick to use on Aish, Scharenberg, or Dunstan... heck maybe even Freeman or Bontempelli... I'm struggling to rank and can't decide with the limited stats.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by ignition.
  • Like 1

X-factor is probably the wrong word to describe Sheed. I think I should have said that he has a number of strong attributes rather than one or two. From what I've seen, no other mid ticks as many boxes in this draft. So I guess that's Sheed's X-factor. He has a number of strengths.

I would compare him to players like Lewis and Hodge. He has that perfect balance of being able to win his own ball on the inside and outside, he is physical, shows a bit of attitude and most importantly is a goal kicker. The article above suggests he is an elite ball user and whilst I don't know about elite, he certainly uses it well.

He is no doubt the pick of the bunch.

BH, if you're reading, I'm intrigued to know why you rate someone like Kelly above Sheed? Kelly is an outside player with maybe two strong attributes to his name and he is one of those players that would definitely not have an impact at AFL level for a number of years. Don't be fooled by that high possession count. Reminds me of a certain someone who we traded to West Coast last year...

We need impact players and well balanced Mids with a number of strong attributes. Sheed has got to be a lock.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

What's his pace like? The youtube clip I saw didn't really give an example of him at full flight.

For those who have a bit of info on this years kids, if Jack Martin and Hogan were in this draft, would they have gone top 3 with Boyd?

What's his pace like? The youtube clip I saw didn't really give an example of him at full flight.

For those who have a bit of info on this years kids, if Jack Martin and Hogan were in this draft, would they have gone top 3 with Boyd?

He moves smoothly but he's not an explosive player or pacey. He's agile and has great awareness so is rarely caught. I hate comparing draftees to AFL players but his running motion and the way he kicks reminds me a bit of Pendles. It's smooth. Sheed is similar.

Hard to say with Hogan and Martin, but yes I'd definitely have them top 5 with Boyd, Sheed and one of Scharenberg or Aish in there as well.

BTW.

The clip of Sheed on youtube is not something to base your judgement on. Most of those highlights are uncontested possessions and kicks and those kinds of highlight reels are so misleading. Reserve your judgement.

is there a distinct lack of youtube clips for draftees. Remember a few years ago, we had multiple clips for draftees.

He reminds me of a Luke Hodge but without the hard ball appetite.

Aisle for me but I worry about the SA go home factor.

Is it me or does everyone feel the same...whoever we draft will underdevelop into a nothing player and players picked later will become star

Martin no.1 on talent, with Boyd and Hogan not far behind. This time last year I had Martin well out in front.

Despite his very good championships, I still see Sheed in that 7-12 bracket in the draft. I have no doubt that he'll be a very good player at the next level, but not certain he has the ceiling of Boyd, Scharenberg Aish & Billings.

Sheed is competent across a range of areas (without having an obvious 'elite' attribute) and a good decision maker, but looks one paced. Very left side dominant, and I'd like to see him work harder defensively. Whilst he showed the capacity to go forward and kick goals against Vic Country, he's yet to do so consistently at club level, so not sure whether he will be a regular goal kicker at AFL level.

• Like 1

Sheed shouldn't be mentioned in same breath as Martin and Hogan. In fact, you'd have to be breathing for a while before you got to Sheed.

Well don't stress, Sheed is too much of a pure footballer to end up in the red and blue.

If you don't like him, you might like AIsh, he fits the MFC type.

Well don't stress, Sheed is too much of a pure footballer to end up in the red and blue.

If you don't like him, you might like AIsh, he fits the MFC type.

How many games have you seen him play? have you seen him play out side of the carnival games?

If so can you give us a run down on why you see him as a pure footballer and what he would bring to the club.

• Like 2

Sheed shouldn't be mentioned in same breath as Martin and Hogan. In fact, you'd have to be breathing for a while before you got to Sheed.

That's quite true and in terms of quality right now, he's definitely not in my top five ... but he's one of the reasons why I think we should fight tooth and nail for draft assistance. If somehow we end up with a second pick in the top ten (either by way of priority pick or mini draft pick) I would like to use such a pick on a player like Sheed because we need his type as well as the classy, skilful midfield type like Aish. That sort of combination plus a mature established mid or two picked up by way of trades or free agency and some good further selections later in the draft could help our midfield improve dramatically even in the space of one season, particularly if we get the right coaches in place to develop them properly.

• Like 1

I do think he would be a good acquisition. However, Lucas Cook had one of the greatest youtube clips of all time. And I was sold.

How many games have you seen him play? have you seen him play out side of the carnival games?

If so can you give us a run down on why you see him as a pure footballer and what he would bring to the club.

No, I have only seen him play the carnival games.

I make my assessments on all the good players based off carnival games or senior football - VFL, SANFL or WAFL games.

As far as TAC Cup games go, I only count finals and I try and get to them if I can - otherwise just watch the GF on TV.

Players I thought absolutely stood in my time watching carnivals as locks for our club: Martin and Wines.

I thought Sidebottom had a good carnival and a hell of a grand final and should've been looked at more closely than he was.

Daniel Rich I liked, because he was playing VERY good senior football in the WAFL.

Hamish Hartlett oozzed class for SA in the championships and I had Rich or Harlett going 1 or 2, thought it was amateur we chose Watts.

But I will admit, I've came to really rate Watts this year and unlike most, I still see a big future for us.

I favor kids who win their own ball and go well in senior football - if they have tasted it.

I'm still really disappointed we overlooked both Sloane and Rockcliff in their years.

Hovrat I liked last year.

VFL and WAFL over SANFL... I watched a lot of Lewis Jetta when I lived in WA before he got drafted and he's the best I've seen come through the WAFL in a long time.

Clubs were just sleeping on Lewis Jetta and he tore up the WAFL that year and put on a clinic, yet we overlooked him when he was ideal for us - but other sides did to.

I think classy players in the SANFL can be made to look better than they are - because it's more of an outside style of football, just my opinion.

Players I like this year: Sheed is a standout from what I have seen. Dumont is going to be a VERY good player, I think there is a bit of Hartlett about him.

Also like Battesby this year if he slides.

I am now completely off James Aish, I think he is too outside and plays soft.

Never liked Toumpas and not a lot has changed.

No, I have only seen him play the carnival games.

I make my assessments on all the good players based off carnival games or senior football - VFL, SANFL or WAFL games.

As far as TAC Cup games go, I only count finals and I try and get to them if I can - otherwise just watch the GF on TV.

Players I thought absolutely stood in my time watching carnivals as locks for our club: Martin and Wines.

I thought Sidebottom had a good carnival and a hell of a grand final and should've been looked at more closely than he was.

Daniel Rich I liked, because he was playing VERY good senior football in the WAFL.

Hamish Hartlett oozzed class for SA in the championships and I had Rich or Harlett going 1 or 2, thought it was amateur we chose Watts.

But I will admit, I've came to really rate Watts this year and unlike most, I still see a big future for us.

I favor kids who win their own ball and go well in senior football - if they have tasted it.

I'm still really disappointed we overlooked both Sloane and Rockcliff in their years.

Hovrat I liked last year.

VFL and WAFL over SANFL... I watched a lot of Lewis Jetta when I lived in WA before he got drafted and he's the best I've seen come through the WAFL in a long time.

Clubs were just sleeping on Lewis Jetta and he tore up the WAFL that year and put on a clinic, yet we overlooked him when he was ideal for us - but other sides did to.

I think classy players in the SANFL can be made to look better than they are - because it's more of an outside style of football, just my opinion.

Players I like this year: Sheed is a standout from what I have seen. Dumont is going to be a VERY good player, I think there is a bit of Hartlett about him.

Also like Battesby this year if he slides.

I am now completely off James Aish, I think he is too outside and plays soft.

Never liked Toumpas and not a lot has changed.

Thanks for the summation; I had a look at a replay of Sheed the other day in the game against Vic country and he certainly accumulated a lot of the ball, has this sort of loping style of moving but very effective. I thought Crouch was good in the clearances when he was in there, he had a really good feel for it and a strong attack on the footy.

The little I've seen of Aish, he definitely uses it well. Interesting comment on the SANFL, maybe it's because of the old SA chip and run style. Toumpas definitely does this, I can't remember him kicking long in a game yet and Craig's coaching style encourages it. It's one of the reasons I don't rate Williams as highly as others do, I always thought there was something to Alan Scotts comments.

Edited by rjay

Really surprising that i have read 5 phantom drafts tonight, not one has sheed in their top 10?

perhaps if Watts wants to go to Carlton we could trade him for their first round pick and use that on Sheed,

Pick 1 ( trade for established mid) James Aish, Dom sheed and then Luke Dunstan at 20, jones with the next pick after that would be a very handy outcome!