Training - Wednesday 19th June, 2013 (3pm)

Could he finally be about to "get it" and take that physical step we've all been waiting for. If this has all happened since he started chatting with Jobe Watson, lets' see if we can get Watson on the payroll as a "player development consultant".

I would also be happy if we could get is as well. By get it I mean his signature on a contract.

• Like 6

Got there at 3:40 so missed the first 40 minutes but stayed until the end at 4:40. Can neither confirm nor deny that the time was changed to allow the players to watch the NBA finals.

Neil Craig running the show very vocal and engaged, looking good in his short shorts and long socks.

I missed any/all of what Frawley, Dawes, McKenzie, Macdonald, Viney and Jamar did.

When I got there they were doing a match simlution drill. Regulars in blue, back ups in white. Spencer and Gawn in blue, Fitzy in white. Tapscott in White. Byrnes in blue. Clisby in blue - I expect to see him soon in the AFL team.

Some nice passages and others (Spencer kicking OOTF from 10 out infront of the behind post) that were more suited to a team 17th on the ladder. A reasonable vibe and most blokes working hard. Hogan stood out with his work rate and also he won't tolerate niggle from Dunn or McDonald.

On McDonald I really see a bad future for him if he doesn't learn to kick. He needs to back himself, his slow and deliberate style is just as bad as his aggressive spraying it style. He needs major remedial kicking or he won't make it as a player.

Maia Westrupp was surprisingly effective at finding the ball and getting to the right spots. Needs to work on his handball but I've seen enough to say hey he's worth another year and some more development.

Similarly Dom Barry shows some nice patches but he really has to work on how timid he is at a lot of things in his training. He needs to train with more oomph if he wants to play with the big boys.

After the main drill it was into group drills and also a lot of little specialty drills that dragged on as some players left. Mainly the mids practiced clearance work with Spencer Fitzy rucking and some of the mids wearing the hip protector gear. Jones, Magner, Sylvia, Couch's hardness stood out and the way Toumpas can run to receive in the right spots.

Terlich left after the main drill finished after getting some work on his lower back. Still able to run freely just might be a bit tight.

Little drills everywhere such as Jack Watts and Matt Jones practicing tackling each other and not getting evaded. Watts looking a bit more physical but wouldn't want to bring what he did to this drill to AFL level. He needs to not only wrap up an opponent but then drop them. Same for Matty Jones. He's a bit too much arms with is tackling at this stage as well.

Towards the end Strauss and Andrew Nichol who's a big bloke and still in good shape had a good wrestling contests over a few rounds. Obviously they are trying to work on Strauss' physicality. He's not soft but if he wants to be a starting defender he needs to relish the contact. He's no different to Dunn or Watts in that regard.

Take home points:

- If today is an indication expect training under Craig to be less regimented but more hands on from what I saw under Neeld

- Spirit within the group seemed pretty good

- Big Maxy Gawn is a larrikin loves showing off to whatever crowd

- With a few injuries to better players the class of training might suffer

- Terlich and Jamar candidates for mystery injury of the week

- Clisby getting close to an AFL debut

- Cam Pedersen needs the phone number for lite and easy. With his 3 year deal he can afford it. He should shout Leigh Brown a few meals as well, he's trained off since preseason

• Like 11

never seen Mitch Clisby play but people seem to rave about him

Which current AFL player would you compare him to?

Ubiquitous half back flanker with some speed and clean skills - Dean Terlich, Geary, Lee Spurr, Greg Broughton. Not sure if he has the potential to be a Heath Scotland or Heath Shaw that's the dream but it seems his Casey form has been really good so far.

At last they realise your training regime is addictive.

Gone is the 9am starts and a nap at 2 in the afternoon.

Now we will be awake when we play matches. Yay!

• Like 1

Cale Morton!!!!

Can't help yourself really can you, although funny

Clisby, I'll give the doubters a direct quote from Fed Sq.......".gee Mitch you have taken a couple of good hits lately"...he got absolutely cleaned up at Port......"love the aggression and hard stuff, that's what you play footy for"....so no not Cale Morton.....agree with what the Master says, has really good clean skills, even in the wet at Sandy....

and as I have pointed out before, Maia Westrupp could be a real left field find

Can't help yourself really can you, although funny

Clisby, I'll give the doubters a direct quote from Fed Sq.......".gee Mitch you have taken a couple of good hits lately"...he got absolutely cleaned up at Port......"love the aggression and hard stuff, that's what you play footy for"....so no not Cale Morton.....agree with what the Master says, has really good clean skills, even in the wet at Sandy....

and as I have pointed out before, Maia Westrupp could be a real left field find

With a season we have had to date u have to have a laugh at something S

A feel good training thread at last.

Takes me back to the pre season when everything was just fine and dandy.

• Like 10

Thanks for the reports guys.

I heard the players will be now allowed to play with a bit more freedom, instead of being robots.

I always thought that their natural game was being stifled, and were more worried about structures etc.

If only we had Mitch up forward, and we also have a few important 'outs' or I;d be confident of a win.

What we have dished up thus far I'll be happy with a dogged fighting lose.

I'm hoping for a 3 goal win. Beware saints.

• Like 1

Interesting to note that Howe is in the White in the group pic, and that Dunn is in Blue. If we take the view that the Blue are the senior players or best 22 for the coming week, I can't believe that Howe would be out of the team while Dunn would still be in.

I'm assuming this is not the case and that players were placed on other teams to balance out the line-ups as well.

Interesting to note that Howe is in the White in the group pic, and that Dunn is in Blue. If we take the view that the Blue are the senior players or best 22 for the coming week, I can't believe that Howe would be out of the team while Dunn would still be in.

I'm assuming this is not the case and that players were placed on other teams to balance out the line-ups as well.

Howe, Matt Jones and Trengove all spent time in white to help their midfield numbers whilst most of the first team forwards and defenders were in blue. I think it was balancing numbers.

My side for this week depending on fitness:

B: Garland Frawley Terlich

HB: Toumpas McDonald Pederson

C: Trengove N.Jones M.Jones

HF: Howe Dawes Watts

F: Byrnes Gawn Davey

R: Jamar Sylvia McKenzie

Int: Blease Magner Kent

Sub: Clisby

Surely if Frawley is fit (and I don't think he will be) then we can do without Pedersen. I think Frawley will be given the extra week to be on the cautious side and Pedersen will play, Clisby comes in to the starting 22 and someone else is the sub.

My side for this week depending on fitness:

B: Garland Frawley Terlich

HB: Toumpas McDonald Pederson

C: Trengove N.Jones M.Jones

HF: Howe Dawes Watts

F: Byrnes Gawn Davey

R: Jamar Sylvia McKenzie

Int: Blease Magner Kent

Sub: Clisby

Seems a bit harsh on Fitzpatrick. I genuinely thought the guy showed a bit last week, particularly with his work in the middle of the ground and his couple of entries into the forward 50. He has the speed to get into space when playing as the relieving ruck and I think a bit of continuity at the top level would be good for him.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that we got an absolute steel with Kent. I watched a replay of the first quarter of the Collingwood game last night, the guy is tough at it, penetrating kick, and just doesn't give up. What a great find by the recruiting department.

Also, that side that's been listed looks pretty decent on paper. Just imagine throwing Clarke into the forward line and an A grade mid next season as well.....

• Like 1