WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

I think another reason he hasn't said he is interested could be that he doesn't want to be inundated with 3-4 offers to coach.

If he said he wanted to coach, Brisbane would not honestly chose Voss over him, WCE with their resources alone could match/beat anything that we would put out there as well.

I think Roos is looking at the offer on the table by the Dees, just like he would have last year with Carlton. The Dees role offers a very unique opportunity to him to build a list from what was a pretty low place, to build a culture within a club that has known very little success for a very long time, to shape the club and put the resources in place to see this work. Sure you might turn things around at WCE faster than here, but I don't think just getting a premiership cup with another club is enough to entice him out of what he is doing now.

The chance to bring the Dees back from the brink to a big club in Melbourne again... to win a premiership at a club that hasn't won one for 50 odd years (just as was the case at Sydney) and to hopefully set a club up for a sustained period of time with a clearly understood succession plan. These are the things he would be considering

... sure the money helps too though!

Incorrect. It's pretty clear no one will be able to match our offer, because our offer is the AFL's offer.

Which is fine by me. I think Neil Craig has shown he is up for the challenge. By any reasonable measure, the turnaround on his watch has been fantastic

It's very difficult to gauge Craig's actual impact. There are two major factors that make things tough. 1) Neeld has proved to be one of the worst coaches of VFL/AFL history, so we're coming from an extremely low base. 2) We played St Kilda, Bulldogs and a coasting Sydney.

I'm not saying he hasn't improved the team. They are playing far more committed football than they were a month ago. He certainly has instilled confidence within the group, but we're looking for someone that would take us all the way. Very tough to judge whether he is the right man at this point. I'd say he's just as good as Eade though. Personally, Williams is just in front of him, although Craig's knowledge and relationships with the current playing list bodes well for his appointment.

In essence, I think we have to be careful that as a supporter base and club, we don't get sucked in to settling for second-best. We must not settle for vaguely competitive. That's how I'd describe us over the last three weeks. It must also be noted that without a full pre season with the team, we won't really know what Craig is fully capable of either.

I think it's all a moot point though, as Roos is pretty much a sure thing.

Whether the allegedly great man is going to coach us or not, the announcement could not be made before the last round as it would otherwise risk undermining the excellent job Craig is doing now.

While he is in contention, Craig can't be seen as a lame duck.

If Roos is coming, the gnome could announce after round 22 that coaching is not for him - that it no longer drives him.

Meanwhile, the rooster could be hatching plans for next year in peace and quiet (and in conjunction with the club).

After round 23 he is announced as coach.

• Like 4

It's very difficult to gauge Craig's actual impact. There are two major factors that make things tough. 1) Neeld has proved to be one of the worst coaches of VFL/AFL history, so we're coming from an extremely low base. 2) We played St Kilda, Bulldogs and a coasting Sydney.

I'm not saying he hasn't improved the team. They are playing far more committed football than they were a month ago. He certainly has instilled confidence within the group, but we're looking for someone that would take us all the way. Very tough to judge whether he is the right man at this point. I'd say he's just as good as Eade though. Personally, Williams is just in front of him, although Craig's knowledge and relationships with the current playing list bodes well for his appointment.

In essence, I think we have to be careful that as a supporter base and club, we don't get sucked in to settling for second-best. We must not settle for vaguely competitive. That's how I'd describe us over the last three weeks. It must also be noted that without a full pre season with the team, we won't really know what Craig is fully capable of either.

I think it's all a moot point though, as Roos is pretty much a sure thing.

He has also improved the "vibe" of the club too.

Would take Roos 1st then prob Craig.

We NEED Roos for sponsorship, membership increases and player retention and attraction.

Roos also has a massive reputation which we need to drag this club out of the never never.

• Like 1

Whether the allegedly great man is going to coach us or not, the announcement could not be made before the last round as it would otherwise risk undermining the excellent job Craig is doing now.

If Roos is coming, the gnome could announce after round 22 that coaching is not for him - that it no longer drives him.

Meanwhile, the rooster could be hatching plans for next year in peace and quiet (and in conjunction with the club).

that's my position also

and as others have mentioned, Roos is probably cunning enough to know that 'holding out' not only increases his salary.. but also puts runs on the boards for the MFC in that it may assist in our attempts at 'draft assistance' and generally building up some publicity around the club

The gnome?

they can announce it whenever, the biggest thing is that we hold on to players

And attract young players, as well as opposition players.

Edited by AdamFarr

that's my position also

and as others have mentioned, Roos is probably cunning enough to know that 'holding out' not only increases his salary.. but also puts runs on the boards for the MFC in that it may assist in our attempts at 'draft assistance' and generally building up some publicity around the club

I may have misunderstood you here, but I actually think we're more likely to get draft assistance from the AFL if Roos is on board. I wouldn't think his holding out would benefit the club.

Edited by AdamFarr

they can announce it whenever, the biggest thing is that we hold on to players

As much as it might delight the many it would be more prudent to stay mute. See out the season as is then announce at or just before the last game what is happening.

If Roos is coming the boys might like to give one last valiant effort as thanks to Craig. Man would have pride and dignity intact ,Would be a new direction for Melbourne :unsure:

Even if Roos is or about to be consigned he can do much in the background.

Theres a need for some sense and decorum in all this.

edit

and dont think for one moment that the AFL isnt appraised of all things as much as possible.

Edited by belzebub59

I may have misunderstood you here, but I actually think we're more likely to get draft assistance from the AFL if Roos is on board. I wouldn't think his holding out would benefit the club.

that's what I meant - if the AFL want us to get Roos, and Roos deliberately holds out, that might prompt the AFL to use draftassistance as a carrot to get Roos to commit. Even if Roos has decided he is going to coach us regardless, he would know that it is in the interests of his future team to let the AFL think they need to sweeten the deal

What the odds are in reality becomes irrelevant ( given relatively small dollars involved )

If betting WAS suspended, then thats a very material development

Seems bets still on

i remember Ross Lyon dropped to $1.90 and hot favourite to take the Melbourne job after Bailey.

Doesn't really mean anything.

It kind of does, because the Ross Lyon situation has NEVER happened before. What you're saying is like saying Dinosaurs were unsuccessful animals because a meteor wiped them out unexpectedly.

All the signs were that he'd come to us, then something cropped up out of the blue and screwed up everything.

It is accurate. They were talking to Centrebet/Sportingbet and they said they suspended the market due to many calls wanting a big crack at the $1.80.

All prices for Roos on other agencies have all dropped to $2 or less

It is accurate. They were talking to Centrebet/Sportingbet and they said they suspended the market due to many calls wanting a big crack at the $1.80.

All prices for Roos on other agencies have all dropped to $2 or less

There's a good vibe ATM hopefully it turns into reality.