• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

Have nearly finished reading Roos' book of a few years ago, Sport is Life, Life is Sport, co written with his wife Tami.

Roos is an unusual person, very moralistic and caring of other people. He does not appear motivated by money and I am pretty sure any stumbling block, would be the attitude of his family. He will not coach us if his family are against it. As well as his media work and part time coaching, he is a very successful motivational speaker and would not be short of a dollar.

I have no doubt he will change our culture if he coaches us. The players will grow under him. The club will grow with him at the helm.

I can see why we are desperate to get him and the AFL are desperate for us to snare him. Make no mistake, he is responsible for the Swans culture.

If our membership didn't exceed 40000 for the first time, with him as Coach, I would be amazed. He will help us keep players and recruit others. He will give everyone in the place renewed hope.

• Like 16

Have nearly finished reading Roos' book of a few years ago, Sport is Life, Life is Sport, co written with his wife Tami.

Roos is an unusual person, very moralistic and caring of other people. He does not appear motivated by money and I am pretty sure any stumbling block, would be the attitude of his family. He will not coach us if his family are against it. As well as his media work and part time coaching, he is a very successful motivational speaker and would not be short of a dollar.

I have no doubt he will change our culture if he coaches us. The players will grow under him. The club will grow with him at the helm.

I can see why we are desperate to get him and the AFL are desperate for us to snare him. Make no mistake, he is responsible for the Swans culture.

If our membership didn't exceed 40000 for the first time, with him as Coach, I would be amazed. He will help us keep players and recruit others. He will give everyone in the place renewed hope.

This is why I'd be happy to take him on for 2 or 3 with a mentee/understudy.

Coaching in terms of tactics, plans, day to day motivation can be done by many people. He'll from all reports Neeld was great at plans and tactics. Anyone expecting a coach to win us a flag in the next couple of years is taking the [censored]. We might, but that won't be the measure of success. A sustained period of success, not crashing in a heap on field in a couple of years is what we should hoe for.

Not many coaches have the ability to build a culture. I will settle for a coach who rebuilds our culture. Clubs with good culture are successful over a period of time and play finals continuously. The difference between success and ultimate success (a premiership) is an injury, a free kick a good day or a fixture, and winning a flag shouldn't be the message of success in the next phase of our development/revival, even though it is the ultimate aim.

If we could get Roos for two years as senior coach then another 2 years as a fly in fly out club mentor/ culture overseer id be pumped.

• Like 1

It's for this reason I take him on face value when he says he's not interested in coaching at the moment. Unlike Hird, that is.

There's not a sane person around who wouldn't believe he'd be anything but absolutely monumental for this club. But I don't reckon it's over the line. Not yet at least - I just don't think he plays the media game like certain others. He strikes me as being quite authentic.

Geez I hope we land him.

If not him, it's Choco or Craig for me.

It's for this reason I take him on face value when he says he's not interested in coaching at the moment. Unlike Hird, that is.

There's not a sane person around who wouldn't believe he'd be anything but absolutely monumental for this club. But I don't reckon it's over the line. Not yet at least - I just don't think he plays the media game like certain others. He strikes me as being quite authentic.

Geez I hope we land him.

If not him, it's Choco or Craig for me.

Craig for me RB

I have quite a few friends who are Tigers fanatics.

They think he is a nutter who had the luck of having a very good player list at Port.

Also why was he not given the job at GWS.

He was obviously told he would not be the one after Sheedy.

Why???????

• Like 1

Craig for me RB

I have quite a few friends who are Tigers fanatics.

They think he is a nutter who had the luck of having a very good player list at Port.

Also why was he not given the job at GWS.

He was obviously told he would not be the one after Sheedy.

Why???????

Yep 'old dee', always had a suspicion that Alan Scott was right.

For me if it's not Roos then Craig or Eade.

• Like 1

Imagine if Roos says" "Yeah I'm keen to coach". He's not going to say that until the day the appointment is announced.

Exactly. KB was saying yesterday he's not the man for the job because he's not 100% committed and needs to be convinced. What bollocks. If he was not keen he'd say a flat out no as he did with Carlton.

He's not going to commit publicly now, why would he and why would the dees want that now either. One assumes he want s to see what the makeup of the board will be and try and extract draft concessions from the AFL. I doubt even if keen he'll want to take over before the end of season and an early announcement would make it very hard for Craig and the team to focus on the job.

I'll stick with my prediction that he will be announced as coach at seasons end (or close to it). I said Craig would remain as FM but I'll change that to a player mentor/development role. J Mac will be back and he'll bring someone in as his right hand man (eg Ling, Micky O) in the box.

• Like 4

do you have inside knowledge on that, i haven't heard him say that publicly

I think he has, but he knows Roos is first choice and has said the club must first decide what sort of coach it wants. He wants it though, but will understand if Roos gets it. I hope he stays if Roos gets the job.

Imagine if Roos says" "Yeah I'm keen to coach". He's not going to say that until the day the appointment is announced.

Precisely. It's as if some here were expecting him to say that if he were to take it on before howling down others here with dismissive attitude, who had heard what he'd actually stated initially.

And of course he's not going to state that ^ publicly if he is keen until everything is in place for him and importantly, when it is appropriate.

He would have a new stable to construct including new assistants around him. If it is his intention to coach, he would be doing that privately whilst analysing the list and the performance of individuals.

• Like 1

two points that convince me he is our coach in 2014

1: he refuses to say no, strikes me as an honest guy so he is trying to find a way arouns lying.

2: he is constantly defending our list and players now when not 12 months ago he was worse than barett

to me that says not only is he seriously considering it or has said yes, it also suggests he is passionate and excited about the opportunity

• Like 3

1: he refuses to say no, strikes me as an honest guy so he is trying to find a way arouns lying.

2: he is constantly defending our list and players now when not 12 months ago he was worse than barett

to me that says not only is he seriously considering it or has said yes, it also suggests he is passionate and excited about the opportunity

lol

I think you are reading far too much into everything.

He is passionate and excited about taking a job because he refuses to say a definitive no to enquiries and is nicer about our awful list than used to be?

more so he has done a complete backflip on the list and he talks in circles rather than answering questions

i may well be reading into things to much, but i'd say those don't hurt our chances

I think another reason he hasn't said he is interested could be that he doesn't want to be inundated with 3-4 offers to coach.

If he said he wanted to coach, Brisbane would not honestly chose Voss over him, WCE with their resources alone could match/beat anything that we would put out there as well.

I think Roos is looking at the offer on the table by the Dees, just like he would have last year with Carlton. The Dees role offers a very unique opportunity to him to build a list from what was a pretty low place, to build a culture within a club that has known very little success for a very long time, to shape the club and put the resources in place to see this work. Sure you might turn things around at WCE faster than here, but I don't think just getting a premiership cup with another club is enough to entice him out of what he is doing now.

The chance to bring the Dees back from the brink to a big club in Melbourne again... to win a premiership at a club that hasn't won one for 50 odd years (just as was the case at Sydney) and to hopefully set a club up for a sustained period of time with a clearly understood succession plan. These are the things he would be considering

... sure the money helps too though!

• Like 4

those 2 points are exactly my thoughts

Exactly. KB was saying yesterday he's not the man for the job because he's not 100% committed and needs to be convinced. What bollocks. If he was not keen he'd say a flat out no as he did with Carlton.

He's not going to commit publicly now, why would he and why would the dees want that now either. One assumes he want s to see what the makeup of the board will be and try and extract draft concessions from the AFL. I doubt even if keen he'll want to take over before the end of season and an early announcement would make it very hard for Craig and the team to focus on the job.

I'll stick with my prediction that he will be announced as coach at seasons end (or close to it). I said Craig would remain as FM but I'll change that to a player mentor/development role. J Mac will be back and he'll bring someone in as his right hand man (eg Ling, Micky O) in the box.

KB ISNT the sharpest tool !!!

• Like 1

do you have inside knowledge on that, i haven't heard him say that publicly

yes he was quoted somewhere as saying he was interested. Cant remember exactly where, but he said he has had a change of heart since leaving the Crows and deciding at that time that he was all done as far as senior coaching was concerned

Craig wants the job, and if Parkin and the rest of them pick him, its a done deal. The way I read it, Roos is first choice, Craig is second, and if Roos says no, Craig will say yes.

Which is fine by me. I think Neil Craig has shown he is up for the challenge. By any reasonable measure, the turnaround on his watch has been fantastic

The search for and securing of the Coach needs to be weighed against players contract talks. Watts, Syvia and to a smaller degree Frawley (extension), are considering this as a very big variable in their decisions to stay on with the MFC.

A juggling act I know but the sooner Roos can be roped in and an announcement made the better.

Waiting until seasons end to commence talks with the likes of Williams and Eade will only put more pressure on contract negotiations.

The search for and securing of the Coach needs to be weighed against players contract talks. Watts, Syvia and to a smaller degree Frawley (extension), are considering this as a very big variable in their decisions to stay on with the MFC.

A juggling act I know but the sooner Roos can be roped in and an announcement made the better.

Waiting until seasons end to commence talks with the likes of Williams and Eade will only put more pressure on contract negotiations.

I suspect that one of a number of scenarios is well and truly happening

1) Roos is on the line but not hooked. A little old man and the sea here but an agreement may be in place to do it, but the finer minutae yet to be sorted. Until DONE nothing is absolutely certain nor announced

2) Is a done deal , just keeping mum whilst the assistants and "assistance" is worked through

3 ) Roos simply weighing up things. If there comes a No there will be time to prep the other candidates

in all 3 instances there is NO reason the public would be any the wiser.

Currently the most intriguing aspect for me is that he simply hasnt quashed the notion.(publicly ) This you would do if you had no interest. I mean what is to gain in the charade otherwise. Would make no sense to persist in some sort of game if indeed youre not in the game.

Others have pointed to a distinctly valid reason for not announcing he HAS interest as that would simply open the flood gates.

Would others have canvassed his interest given theres a probably likelyhood he may well be interested in the Dees, you betcha .

I suspect hes politely informed others hes not interested in the jobs. .

He hasnt said no. He hasnt lampooned the club for some time. Hes sort of critiqued the list as being OK if not brilliant.

Many keep coming back to ( as I do in my mind ) that he hasnt said NO. Would be so easy to; matter closed, all move on.

He doesnt strike me as the type to play meaningless games. Its curious for sure

then there may actually be scenario 4 ) Mrs Roos isnt over the line yet.

Though he'll get bucketloads, I cant see this being about money.

Maybe in conjuction with 4) hes given the club an understanding to give an answer by a particular date, one that hasnt arrived yet.

For no other reason than a gut feeling. I think the clubs about 3/4 of the way there, but no ink.

Does Roos have a manager ?(other than Mrs Roos lol ) If so what murmurings from that direction ? Anyone au fait ?

• Like 1