What Does Craig Do?

He has half a season to begin to try and turn things around and give supporters and the football world a reason to believe in Melbourne again.

So what does he do?

Change the game plan, play the kids or just let the players just "go out and play"? Can he do anything? Will it be enough to keep the likes of Sylvia, Watts and Frawley or is he part of the problem?

I still think there is enough time to at least give us something to enjoy for the rest of the year, no matter how small.

He has half a season to begin to try and turn things around and give supporters and the football world a reason to believe in Melbourne again.

So what does he do?

Change the game plan, play the kids or just let the players just "go out and play"? Can he do anything? Will it be enough to keep the likes of Sylvia, Watts and Frawley or is he part of the problem?

I still think there is enough time to at least give us something to enjoy for the rest of the year, no matter how small.

I expect Craig has been the the good cop of the footy Dept for the most part of the Neeld era. What Neeld wanted the guys to do was not neccesarily wrong or difficult so i doubt the underlying message will change, after all Footy isnt rocket science.

Hopefully any angst about the way players were treated in the past is gone with the sacking of Neeld, and Craig can get the team enjoying their footy. I'd imagine he wont try to reinvent the wheel, but might be able to communicate message without players being clouded by bias and bruised egos! Perhaps some small positional changes, eg Watts a full time forward, or Blease half back flank (ala the role Todd Viney played him in), but the biggest change will be in players mindset, not the game plan.

Pray 12 players suddenly improve their ability by 50%

Really guys I cannot see him getting this side much better.

They are still the same bunch that could not get a kick in a football factory for the last 33 games.

At best he can hope for a little more effort over four quarters

Beyond that don't hold your breath.

He can release the hand brake on instinct and flair. Neeld turned our players into dour robots who didn't dare try and take the game on. Encouraging our players to be bold, challenge their opponent and run would be a start.

• Like 1

The players were already taking the game on, were play on more than any team in the competition. The lack of skills and they lack of quality players who get to the "right areas" is the reason that when we played on we turned it over.

When we start missing targets players get worried and start hesitating, making things worse.

I'm not saying Neeld could coach, or that he should still be there but if we play well this weekend, if we somehow jag a win, it isn't because there players are given freedom and allowed to play with flair, it will because the players work harder, because mentally they will be reengaged, and possibly because as a unit they will galvanize together in the wake of Neelds departure.

I hope these things happen. The only thing Craig can do is say "go on guys, you know the plan, wet train for this every week, give out another crack, try your guts out and back yourselves in."

• Like 2

If it's true that he has no desire to be a senior coach and is unlikely to continue in his former supervisory role, I just wonder what the stakes are for him? Why would he want to go the extra mile to get the best out of what is a really bad situation?

After watching Neeld in action in the pressers etc i believe he will communicate at a level, a simple one, that the players will more easily understand and carry out. The KISS principle is key when instructing footballers to do "STUFF" on game day.

More layers can SLOOOWLY be introduced once initial instructions are being met successfully and on field performance starts improving.

Instructions such as - "Now get in a circle and sing the song and throw socks n poweraid & stuff at new blokes" - to be added after the first win!

Craig is basically a bag of ice on which we are throwing the team on until we get a new coach.

What can he do? - good question

maybe considering his position (no expectations) - he can concentrate on developing youth (thats apparently what we were doing though)

At the Crows, Craig often played one or 2 players behind the ball. His players ran hard to position, used a lot of handball and the switching of play was another of his trademarks. His teams weren't averse to using the corridor. The Crows were not a low possession team.

Bit hard to see our team being able to do all that very quickly (if he still coaches the same way) Give him a month and we might see a win in round 17 (vs Lions) We might even sneak a win in the next 2 games.

The main thing he's got to instil in the players is a will to win and a never give up attitude. Another tall order but not impossible. Things can change quite quickly in footy so we might expect a much improved effort on Saturday. Team selection will be very interesting.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

A better question for me would be "What has Craig done" Surely he has had little impact on the Game outcomes and style of play

I suppose if he gets a win or two over the next few weeks we will know exactly where the problem was

Bit hard to see our team being able to do all that very quickly (if he still coaches the same way) Give him a month and we might see a win in round 17 (vs Lions) We might even sneak a win in the next 2 games.

The main thing he's got to instil in the players is a will to win and a never give up attitude. Another tall order but not impossible. Things can change quite quickly in footy so we might expect a much improved effort on Saturday. Team selection will be very interesting.

I really don't know what craig does or can do. But I really do hope we can get that win against the lions up in Darwin.

I'll be taking the good lady with me to see her first game of footy. I do not want another thrashing.

A win would be amazing.

But getting back to the what can he do now. He needs to correct the mindset of the players, that clearly did not want to play under Neeld.

You only have to see the way the players play for Casey. I know it is only VFL, but it's their whole mindset and application that is different.

This weekend we will see if the players were foxing or really are C**p

• Like 1

A better question for me would be "What has Craig done" Surely he has had little impact on the Game outcomes and style of play

I suppose if he gets a win or two over the next few weeks we will know exactly where the problem was

Or we will be playing teams at our vague level, and the structures and training regimes put in are starting to show fruit.

Honestly I think Craig will just try to relieve the pressure, I think a lot of the players were afraid to make mistakes and therefor didn't back themselves. As many have go back to basics and keep it simple.

And play the players that deserve to play, ones that have shown form at Casey and consistent effort.