• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Realistic Future Melbourne Coach

MadAsHell

Future Melbourne Coach  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At no stage did I say the standard of the BFL is equal to the AFL, don't know where that's come from???

I said what it shows it that the fact he's still involved with the game of football, means he still obviously loves the game. Hence he would still keep a very close eye on the game and the current trends.

If you surrounded Swooper with some of the best assistants going round then there's no reason why it wouldn't work. The current trend is the get older coaches to over see rookies. Why not have an experienced senior coach who knows how to motivate and get the best out of his players with assistants who are totally over the modern trends.

Barassi went to Sydney after 7 years of no coaching what so ever. Swoopers at least been coaching in some form.

Swooper's only role at the MFC would be to address the playing group after training one night, and attend the Ballarat Supporters Group functions.

Regardless of what level he is coaching at, how much he loves the game, and how much of a close eye he keeps on current trends, the fact is that he is 70+ years old, has not coached an AFL standard game plan for nearly decades, and to be quite honest, I struggle to see how he would get the respect from the players given the length of time out of the game and no doubt his outdated (in comparison to Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, etc) training methods.

We want a coach that will sell hope, this aint the bloke. The only hope I'd have would be that he actually sees the next 3 years, period, and hopefully a number more after that, just none of them contracted to the MFC.

There are rumours that Mark Williams is being spoken to and arranged at this very moment. Be careful what you wish for......

Swooper's only role at the MFC would be to address the playing group after training one night, and attend the Ballarat Supporters Group functions.

Regardless of what level he is coaching at, how much he loves the game, and how much of a close eye he keeps on current trends, the fact is that he is 70+ years old, has not coached an AFL standard game plan for nearly decades, and to be quite honest, I struggle to see how he would get the respect from the players given the length of time out of the game and no doubt his outdated (in comparison to Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, etc) training methods.

We want a coach that will sell hope, this aint the bloke. The only hope I'd have would be that he actually sees the next 3 years, period, and hopefully a number more after that, just none of them contracted to the MFC.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess Billy. I reckon he would have the respect based on what he's achieved and his knowledge. And as I said with the right assistants at the helm there's no reason that a modern game plan and training methods couldn't still be used. I also think that he would sell hope to the members again, based on what he's achieved and his track record.

You don't and you're entitled to that opinion.

Guest cpfc

There are rumours that Mark Williams is being spoken to and arranged at this very moment. Be careful what you wish for......

Where are the rumours coming from? Basically I'd be happy with Roos or Williams. Has it just been announced over twitter or something?

Any links or tweets to that effect?

They are both extremely experienced. Both were great players. I mentioned this in another thread. How many coaches have coached premierships at 2 different clubs in the modern era? I could only think of Malthouse and Matthews. The rest have been first time coaches. Just because we have failed at choosing a good coach the last 2 times, doesn't mean we have to get an over the hilll experienced coach just for the sake of it.

Are people actually Being serious when bringing up Northeys name? I can't tell if people are joking or not.

I don't think we have "failed to choose a good coach" fitter, that neeld has a terrific history at ocean grove and collingwood shows the opposite. Dean bailey is an interesting one, maybe he was 5 years early with his method. I think it's more that we have chosen a coach who didn't fit the players we had on the list. Bailey tried to mould players with attacking flair who were on average taller and good on the spread, but at the expense of hard working defence and without the body density to be stron over the ball.

Unfortunately when neeld has come on board, he has tried to swing too far towards the "100% effort" type player who competes hard, but unfortunately at the expense of the attacking playmaking style. It's all about balance, unfortunately we have swung too far in either direction. I genuinely believe mark neeld is a good coach, but with where we find ourselves now, I don't think he is the right fit for us. That said, I still think he has changes from the ultra authoritarian style he was, and now I feel he is a lot more of the trusting, protective style of coach.

I'm lucky that through school, I'm friends with several players who are at different clubs around the country. The reason Sydney and Paul roos were such a great fit is because Paul protected his players, whether that was onfield or whether it was just his demeanour of dealing with players who may have been homesick, struggling with off field issues or whatever. Examples of that are something like having a player and family around for a BBQ, frequent calls or texts just saying g'day or offering encouragement or advice on issues from living away from home, lifestyle or development. For the same reason as that, I can guarantee you that collingwood is the exact opposite of that, with a lot less welfare or support and as such, why they are down a bit since Buckley took over.

I still hope that neeld can turn it around, for the reasons I have mentioned. That said, hawthorn and collingwood games will show everyone exactly how bad they want him to stay on, or not.

• Like 4

Apart from Matthews and Roos, that's a depressing list to pick from.

I'd have Roos as my first preference, but i've got just as much chance of winning the lottery (gotta be in it to win it though) - keep pursuing!

Matthews - why on earth would he want to waste his retirement years with us? The best we could hope for is him king hitting all of our players at training when their backs are to him.

Alistair - Honestly i think we have a better chance of securing Roos, but you never know, lol.

Choco Williams - If Roos is gone and Clarko hangs up laughing, he should be the next target.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Very good point.

For me the panel should consist of

1. Peter Jackson (CEO)

2. Greg Healey (board member with football background)

3. Don McLardy or Geoff Freeman (either the current or soon to be president)

4. An AFL Delegate of their the AFL's choosing

5. An outsider, Paul Roos if he refuses to take the job or a Leigh Matthews

No present board members should be involved. They need to be moved on & the next coach and his preferred team of assistants selected by a footy savvy led board (president) and CEO

If we are going for an experienced (not convinced thats a must) then I would want Choco or Laidley. Strong, uncompromising characters who have proven to get the most out of young lists without every resource in the world. Also both very strong tactically. Both clearly still have a burning ambition to have another crack.

I am not sold on the Roos dream. He would cost us the earth, be doing it for money or under AFL pressure or a bit of both and whilst a great leader and premiership coach has a gamestyle that has an appalling record in his time at the MCG.

If we implement an internal caretaker it must be someone that has no designs on the actual gig. I can see with a change of direction, easier run second half of year and potential to finally get Clark and Dawes on the park together we could snaffle 4-5 wins from 11. The last thing we need is a caretaker clouding whether he should be given the full time job.

• Like 1

If we are going for an experienced (not convinced thats a must) then I would want Choco or Laidley. Strong, uncompromising characters who have proven to get the most out of young lists without every resource in the world. Also both very strong tactically. Both clearly still have a burning ambition to have another crack.

I am not sold on the Roos dream. He would cost us the earth, be doing it for money or under AFL pressure or a bit of both and whilst a great leader and premiership coach has a gamestyle that has an appalling record in his time at the MCG.

If we implement an internal caretaker it must be someone that has no designs on the actual gig. I can see with a change of direction, easier run second half of year and potential to finally get Clark and Dawes on the park together we could snaffle 4-5 wins from 11. The last thing we need is a caretaker clouding whether he should be given the full time job.

But that is how Roos got the Sydney gig and Wallace was left in limbo till the Tigers gig came up

My first choice is to keep Mark Neeld to the end of his contract..... I wont miss him if he go's..... its just that this club hasn't got the coin, to just through out contracts.....

If he does go.... Then we should target John worsfold.... Or Paul Roos.... I doubt ether will come, but that's the type we need.... Anyone less than them would be just change for the sake of change..... It will release the media pressure, for a little while.... But we'll be back here in a years time..... Sacking the incumbent....

It doesn't matter who coaches this team anyway..... This mess isn't going to turn around fast.....

• Like 1

But that is how Roos got the Sydney gig and Wallace was left in limbo till the Tigers gig came up

I wish I was left in limbo if it meant getting paid a wage for 2 years without needing to get out of bed (such was the "contract" Wallace was on at the Swans).

Not keen on Laidley I know he had limited resources at North Melbourne but overall his tenure there was nothing flash. Matthews has been out of coaching for too long, the game changes so quickly since 2008 so not an option. We are better off targeting Eade and Williams both are still in the coaching system, both have the runs on the board!

Eade- 5 Played Grand FInals, 4 Premierships, Coached at the time a basket case Sydney to a Grand Final and FInals series, Turned the Bulldogs into 3 Preliminary Finals, just missing out on a granny in all of them

Williams- Played in the Pies 1990 Flag, coached Port to numerous finals series, a couple of pre season cups, coached port to the 2004 premiership 2007 grand final.

Looks a bit more impressive than Laidleys cv

• Like 3

Thanks for that, Harvey's now in.

Yeah i'm aware of Swoopers age. I just reckon he ticks all the boxes, would be willing to do it and for a lot less coin which could then be spent on good assistants. I reckon there's a good chance that the likes of Matthews, Eade, Roos even Chocco might not want the job. Swooper on the other hand if approached I reckon would relish the challenge!

It's be a temp job before handing over to an assistant. It's to tough a job to give to a rookie coach at this point IMO.

Harvey's stonewash jeans would go well with the MFC blazer.

Some of you are genuinely deluded as to what ANY other coach could do with this list.

I can only speak for myself, but for me it's not so much the Win Loss ratio, but the manner in which the losses are occuring. I thought we'd started to turn the corner in the 2nd half of last year, but alas things have gone backwards since then.

But anyway as I've said I'd love to see Swooper come in.

Otherwsie I'd be more then happy with any of Roos, Williams, Eade, Ratten or Laidley. Laidley being a distant last of 6 I've mentioned.

Not keen on Laidley I know he had limited resources at North Melbourne but overall his tenure there was nothing flash. Matthews has been out of coaching for too long, the game changes so quickly since 2008 so not an option. We are better off targeting Eade and Williams both are still in the coaching system, both have the runs on the board!

Eade- 5 Played Grand FInals, 4 Premierships, Coached at the time a basket case Sydney to a Grand Final and FInals series, Turned the Bulldogs into 3 Preliminary Finals, just missing out on a granny in all of them

Williams- Played in the Pies 1990 Flag, coached Port to numerous finals series, a couple of pre season cups, coached port to the 2004 premiership 2007 grand final.

Looks a bit more impressive than Laidleys cv

Deefella, the above is what keeps me leaning toward Rocket Eade. The fact that he had everything bar the ultimate success at both Sydney and the Bulldogs will concern some people, but it does the opposite for me. I look at Malcolm Blight as a great example - had Geelong in the prelim or GF on a number of occasions, but couldn't get a flag. Went to Adelaide, won back-to-back. At the end of the day, the coach can only do so much, and on GF day, if the players aren't 100% for whatever reason, but the coach is, it can be the difference between winning and losing.

FOR NOW, and who knows

1. Craig

2. Rawlings

DREAMIN'

1. Roos

2. Clarkson

3. Worsfold

NEXT BEST

1. Eade

2. Williams

LEFT FIELD

1. Danners (welcome home !!)

2. Ayres

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!

1. SHEEDY

Pretty accurate to what the CEO'S thinking I would have thought.

Thanks for that, Harvey's now in.

Yeah i'm aware of Swoopers age. I just reckon he ticks all the boxes, would be willing to do it and for a lot less coin which could then be spent on good assistants. I reckon there's a good chance that the likes of Matthews, Eade, Roos even Chocco might not want the job. Swooper on the other hand if approached I reckon would relish the challenge!

It's be a temp job before handing over to an assistant. It's to tough a job to give to a rookie coach at this point IMO.

Cant see him taking on such a massive challenge at this late stage TD. While I'd like to see his face back at the club in some role he's been away far too long and would be risking a heart attack trying to turn this wreck around. Doubt he would consider any AFL coaching role let alone this one.

Williams seems like the best fit and most realistic chance for mine. Although my first preference would be Bomber Thompson. Why isn't he listed?

Edited by Rusty Nails

If Al Clarkson ever became coach of the MFC the walls of every coaches box around the country would have to be lined with protective padding.

• Like 3