Realistic Future Melbourne Coach

MadAsHell

Future Melbourne Coach  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I open the thread called 'Realistic Future Melbourne Coach' and the first post advocates John Northey.

Then we call Bailey a tough guy and Malthouse lovable.

Come on, people. Peter Jackson and the AFL are going to pay out Mark Neeld, install a serious coach and move on.

Money just moves in circles in these instances, which is why the tanking fine meant nothing. The AFL will pay for it in the end.

And make no mistake, the AFL requires Melbourne to exist for TV rights. There is no way on earth they aren't in charge, making sure this ship doesn't inadvertently sink.

• Like 4

Not keen on Laidley I know he had limited resources at North Melbourne but overall his tenure there was nothing flash. Matthews has been out of coaching for too long, the game changes so quickly since 2008 so not an option. We are better off targeting Eade and Williams both are still in the coaching system, both have the runs on the board!

Eade- 5 Played Grand FInals, 4 Premierships, Coached at the time a basket case Sydney to a Grand Final and FInals series, Turned the Bulldogs into 3 Preliminary Finals, just missing out on a granny in all of them

Williams- Played in the Pies 1990 Flag, coached Port to numerous finals series, a couple of pre season cups, coached port to the 2004 premiership 2007 grand final.

Looks a bit more impressive than Laidleys cv

I may be wrong but I do not recall Mark Williams playing in the 1990 flag, pretty sure he was either at the Bears as a player or back in the SANFL at Port by then

I'm deadly serious about Swooper, despite his age.

He's been there and done that, took Melbourne to the finals after 22 years of missing them. Took Richmond to the finals after 12 years of missing them and took the Brisbane Bears to a Prelim. All basket case teams that Northey transformed.

He's still coaching, would cost a lot less coin which means you can spend that money on the best assistants out there with a view to a hand over in about 3 years time. Northey to plant the seeds for someone else as he's been there and done it all before. Would universaly loved by the players at all the clubs he's coached also.

The man still loves the club and I have no doubt would be up for the challenge.

Seriously, mate, you have to stop.

You're embarrassing yourself.

So I open the thread called 'Realistic Future Melbourne Coach' and the first post advocates John Northey.

Come on, people. Peter Jackson and the AFL are going to pay out Mark Neeld, install a serious coach and move on.

Money just moves in circles in these instances, which is why the tanking fine meant nothing. The AFL will pay for it in the end.

And make no mistake, the AFL requires Melbourne to exist for TV rights. There is no way on earth they aren't in charge, making sure this ship doesn't inadvertently sink.

Only thing I will challenge is the last paragraph. Under the current TV rights deal, it is expected that 9 games a week be played. However, all it would take is a show of the significant decrease in viewers for poor performing Melbourne-based sides for the AFL to start looking at solutions.

I'll put it another way; the broadcast rights would be worth far more if there were 8 decent games each week (and allowing for a team to have a bye), as opposed to 7 decent games and 2 nothing games that attracts minimal viewers. 1 less game but more viewers of those that are televised due to better quality football.

I don't think we would like to see the weekly ratings for Melbourne, North and Bulldogs games.

Edit - apologies for getting off topic. Although the OP started it with his suggestion of Northey as head coach! :P

Edited by billy2803

The OX!

Has shown some interest.

Was a true champion.

Wants to give back to the club.

Can handle the media.

Will not take crap.

Left Field maybe but I've seen worse candidates.

Biff, I'm not sure whether you spent too much time at The Gatwick or not enough!

I'm one of most the respected degenerates in here.

• Like 1

Realistically I think Aryes would cost next to nothing, has experience coaching at AFL level. Has been been coaching Port Melbourne for the past 5 years so knows the modern game well enough..

But I'd love to see Mark Williams poached from Richmond, from what I've heard he is good at developing and relating to young players.. Which is something that this club lacks, just look at the players that leave and go on.. ie Jolly and Thompson..

I even saw on fox sports the much maligned Cale Morton said the difference between training at West Coast compared to Melbourne was enormous..

... the club has a chronic way of keeping our boys as boys & Not turning them out as MEN... when was the last player in a melbourne jumper that you looked upon as a Man?

Neita, Whelan, Jnr,,,, before that Schwarta,,,,, after that I can't think of any much. unless going right back to the mid 90's..... and then there weren't enough...

so no, not Williams... I could accept Ayers to teach & toughen them up & turn them out as Men... he has that old Hawthorn 'Yabby Jeans' thing in his DNA.

... we have to go outside our own DNA, if we want to change our culture.

Well said.

They may have fined us 500k but when they land us a big name coach we should be kissing their feet since in the end we will profit way beyond the 500k we 'lost'.

Don't people remember that Laidley quit Nth Melbourne because of the money being spent in the football department wasn't enough. He said it's taken a toll on him and he felt worn out , so unless Melbourne or should l say the AFL pony up with the money he is no chance.

Maybe being out of the job for a while may have changed him but can Melbourne take this chance.

Going to throw a random name out there, and it goes against what 99% of posters want (me included)...

Rohan Welsh.

Obviously he is not an experienced AFL coach, but I'd be interested to know what others think, especially the likes of KC and any other posters who frequest the Casey grounds, and have listened to him during a match.

Discuss.

Edited by billy2803

Going to throw a random name out there, and it goes against what 99% of posters want (me included)...

Rohan Welsh.

Obviously he is not an experienced AFL coach, but I'd be interested to know what others think, especially the likes of KC and any other posters who frequest the Casey grounds, and have listened to him during a match.

Discuss.

He's got Hogan playing some bloody good football. That's enough to do it for me, lol!

Rohan Welsh.

Discuss.

No we need an experience coach billy it is as simple as that. Someone that will give the players bit of hope and energy.

No we need an experience coach billy it is as simple as that. Someone that will give the players bit of hope and energy.

I have made my views quite clear that I agree about the experience factor, with my vote going to Rodney Eade.

However, I don't think we pick the best of a bad bunch (outside of the top 5 - see below) just because they have experience coaching at an AFL level, and I think the list in this poll/thread is a good indication of that.

Let's be realistic about it, of all the coaches that have been named, there are only 5 men that you would seriously consider as true "targets". Roos, Williams, Eade, Worsfold and Clarkson. Of all the names that are thrown around, those 5, of the experienced AFL coaches list, are the only ones that would sell any true hope, not this spin that we're so used to. Those 5 are head and shoulders above the other "experienced" guys in Ayres, Laidley, Ratten, (Mark) Harvey and Knights.

Personally, if we can't land one of the 5 targets I have mentioned (which any of them would be my preference), then I think it's a case of best available rather than AFL experience. I think the likes of Welsh, Goodwin and Burns should absolutely be considered if we are throwing the names of Knights, Laidley, Harvey and Ayres around.

We need to hope that one of those 5 are willing to take it on. I brought up Welsh in case none of them accept.

Edited by billy2803

Yeah the Bailey comment was my bad.

Ironically Neil Craig would be high on everyone's list of potential experienced coaches if he wasn't already at the club and possibly part of the problem. He has said he doesn't want to coach again It's hard to tell how much of the coaching problem (yes there are other problems) is down to Mark Neeld and how much is down to the Neeld-Craig combination. Craig has been extremely loyal to Neeld but that's what I'd expect as part of his nature and ethics. Those on the inside, i.e. Peter Jackson should be able to work out Craig's ongoing value. I think we're not necessarily restricted to going for an experienced coach - if we think Craig has ongoing value independent of Neeld then a set-up like Essendon with a GOOD young coach and senior assistant (Craig in our case) could work. This would put Richardson / Bassett / Tudor / Burns in the frame in partnership with Craig. We'd still be looking for a new Head of Football from outside the club.

Alternatively if we do land an experienced coach like Roos, Eade or Choco then where do Craig and Viney fit in? Hopefully one of them is a candidate for Head of Football. The financial implications caanot be ignored.

• Like 4

Rohan Welsh.

Discuss.

I've thrown his name there as caretaker a few weeks back, at arms length from the current coach may be a breath of fresh air.

No time in the system goes against him as full-time in the job.

Ironically Neil Craig would be high on everyone's list of potential experienced coaches if he wasn't already at the club and possibly part of the problem. He has said he doesn't want to coach again It's hard to tell how much of the coaching problem (yes there are other problems) is down to Mark Neeld and how much is down to the Neeld-Craig combination. Craig has been extremely loyal to Neeld but that's what I'd expect as part of his nature and ethics. Those on the inside, i.e. Peter Jackson should be able to work out Craig's ongoing value. I think we're not necessarily restricted to going for an experienced coach - if we think Craig has ongoing value independent of Neeld then a set-up like Essendon with a GOOD young coach and senior assistant (Craig in our case) could work. This would put Richardson / Bassett / Tudor / Burns in the frame in partnership with Craig. We'd still be looking for a new Head of Football from outside the club.

Alternatively if we do land an experienced coach like Roos, Eade or Choco then where do Craig and Viney fit in? Hopefully one of them is a candidate for Head of Football. The financial implications caanot be ignored.

This is why I want Jackson to know what he wants to do with the FD before he axes Neeld. There are so many aspects to the coming caretaker scenario that he should alter the FD at the same time rather than insall a caretaker and then have that persons previous position no longer exist.

• Like 1

This is why I want Jackson to know what he wants to do with the FD before he axes Neeld. There are so many aspects to the coming caretaker scenario that he should alter the FD at the same time rather than insall a caretaker and then have that persons previous position no longer exist.

Yes agree, the coaching plans are indivisible from the bigger FD re-structure. But I do agree with other posters that there's an urgency. What's Neeld's KPI going to be this week? "Most of the selected 22 players turn up with their gear"?

• Like 4

Yes agree, the coaching plans are indivisible from the bigger FD re-structure. But I do agree with other posters that there's an urgency. What's Neeld's KPI going to be this week? "Most of the selected 22 players turn up with their gear"?

I think it is irrelevant what happens this week. When Jackson knows what the FD should look like - make it look like it.

If he gets that done next week, great. If he does it in August, so be it.

So what if his previous position no longer exists? That is going to happen independently of whether he fills in as the caretaker coach or not.

• Like 1

I think it is irrelevant what happens this week. When Jackson knows what the FD should look like - make it look like it.

If he gets that done next week, great. If he does it in August, so be it.

No, I disagree, change is both important AND urgent.

• Like 1