Melbourne "great" Gerard Healy says coach Mark Neeld has two weeks to save his job

You nake some good points Dr. But Neeld is to inexperienced for this monumental task.

I do not blame him as he did not hire himself, but he is out of his league at the MFC.

We need the best of the best to give us a fighting chance.

50 years of neglect and sellfish quick decision making have us where we are.

Maybe not, maybe he has been 100% transparent with all party's even the supporters and we aren't listening. Maybe he is doing exactly what is required to change the culture of a losing club, maybe he is doing exactly what is required but due to our club being extremely poor for 6 years we are refusing to give him the opportunity to see through the process he started. Would love to see the minutes of board meetings, Neeld claims that the Board knows exactly where the club is at and what we are trying to acheive.

Would he of had the same player turnover with a Malthouse or Roos, yes we would we had and still have to many drafting failures that just aren't AFL standard. The only 2 players that have gone that are is Moloney and Rivers, the rest are no good.

I heard Neeld talk late last year, he mentioned that the club drafted for Baileys game style, run and gun approach more atheletes than footballers that where quick outside players, the problem Neeld had was todays game is about contested footy, we drafted skinny kids that couldn't play that style of footy, so he started to get players that can for the interim whilst they build a new midfield. I'm fearful that we move to quickly on Neeld we start back again at 2007 with that same quiters attitude. I believe we aren't as far off as most think.

• Like 3

these posts are always based on the assumption that Moloney was sooking but what if he was just voicing the concerns of many players? The fact that brad green had to ask other players to buy in when he left and what rivers has said now leads me to the conclusion that few have bought in and he may have - as grant Thomas suggested - lost the players from the get go.

Moloney says he didn't believe in neeld as a coach. Hells gates and others have raised fundamental concerns about neeld's game day coaching ability.

this is a coach who moved Moloney out indirectly, ensuring Nathan Jones will always be tagged, added three newbies to the midfield and continues with McKenzie and then expresses surprise that we got smashed in the centre in round 1 to port.

I just think there is more to the Moloney rivers story than people sometimes suggest. Moloney was a diehard see after all and while he was woefully inconsistent, him being in the side would have sheltered and helped our young mids and drawn a tag away from Nathan Jones.

Moloney was on AFL 360 the other night. To be honest, WTF was he doing on there in the first place? It seemed like a McLean/OTC style fix up, but Moloney was too stupid to realise what he was saying.

Basically, he felt Neeld didn't have faith in him, and in return, Moloney didn't have faith in Neeld. Then, I think he even admitted that for a part of the year he didn't act how he should've (can't remember his exact wording, but basically he cracked them). Now, for a start, Neeld was an ex-midfield coach at a strong club. He would've put endless amounts of time analysing opposition midfields, so for Neeld to come in and not "have faith" in Moloney tells me how much other clubs rated him. This is probably further supported by the fact that 1 solitary team wanted him when he decided to leave, and from all reports, it wasn't until late in the FA period that he received an offer.

I have to admit though, I'm staggered to think that any player hasn't bought in to Neeld's ideas. WTF not? Reality check players - this bloke was hired as your coach, your boss. In the real world, you do what your boss tells you to do. Instead of p!ssing and moaning about what is wrong, why not look at what's right. I don't know of one AFL coach that would've been hired with no intention of winning a flag, so why not just do what he says?

Also NSC, you made reference to the 3 newbies that have been brought in to the midfield. I think a couple of these players indicate what sort of p!ss weal attitude some of our other players have got. I refer to Matt Jones and Dean Terlich - arguably in our Top 5 for the year. These blokes are first year players, who have had no option other than buy in to Neeld's plans. They are rewarded for their commitment by playing decent footy. Why is it that we have 2 x first year players who were taken at cricket score picks, that are in all honesty playing well above where they should, yet there are players who were there before Neeld arrived that have gone backwards? Tells me more about those players than the newbies.

Give me a team full of Matt Jones and Dean Terlich every day. Not the best footballers going around but they give 100% and importantly, you know they have no hidden agenda.

• Like 6

Maybe not, maybe he has been 100% transparent with all party's even the supporters and we aren't listening. Maybe he is doing exactly what is required to change the culture of a losing club, maybe he is doing exactly what is required but due to our club being extremely poor for 6 years we are refusing to give him the opportunity to see through the process he started. Would love to see the minutes of board meetings, Neeld claims that the Board knows exactly where the club is at and what we are trying to acheive.

Would he of had the same player turnover with a Malthouse or Roos, yes we would we had and still have to many drafting failures that just aren't AFL standard. The only 2 players that have gone that are is Moloney and Rivers, the rest are no good.

I heard Neeld talk late last year, he mentioned that the club drafted for Baileys game style, run and gun approach more atheletes than footballers that where quick outside players, the problem Neeld had was todays game is about contested footy, we drafted skinny kids that couldn't play that style of footy, so he started to get players that can for the interim whilst they build a new midfield. I'm fearful that we move to quickly on Neeld we start back again at 2007 with that same quiters attitude. I believe we aren't as far off as most think.

Fair call. Neeld may be the man, but if he is he MUST CUT THE SPIN to those outside the circle. Tell the membership what is exactly happening.

I think we all feel disconnected right now, i sure do. It is why i cannot attend games.

If Neeld wants the job he must open up to all.

That goes for whoever gets the job. The members need to know.

I don't want anymore of my $$$ paying for fines that the CEO was ultimately responsible for.

I wonder if any of the senior MFC Players of the day spoke to Brock Mclean before he did OTC spot last year.

Would be the best way to have a second go at Schwab.

Have considered that for awhile

You nake some good points Dr. But Neeld is to inexperienced for this monumental task.

I do not blame him as he did not hire himself, but he is out of his league at the MFC.

We need the best of the best to give us a fighting chance.

50 years of neglect and sellfish quick decision making have us where we are.

Like a knee-jerk reaction to sack the coach halfway through his tenure because we are getting beaten by the good sides?

• Like 3

Every time the media says "Gerard Healy is the brother of Melbourne's Greg Healy" (as they have done repeatedly) they are sneakily dudding Greg Healy, by insinuating Greg has dished to Gerard.

If the media really thinks Greg has given Gerard the good oil, they should come out and say so, rather than seeking to bolster their story by sleazily implicating Greg.

What I reckon needs to be done is to hire a Roos or a Matthews to come in as a consultant for the rest of the year to complete a thorough and clinical assessment of the list from the inside.

They would need to watch them train and play - both afl and vfl, talk to them and give their report to the incoming coach next year.

Meanwhile, the caretaker (whoever that is) could concentrate on freeing up the way they play now - so they can stop looking like trauma victims every game.

• Like 4

What I reckon needs to be done is to hire a Roos or a Matthews to come in as a consultant for the rest of the year to complete a thorough and clinical assessment of the list from the inside.

They would need to watch them train and play - both afl and vfl, talk to them and give their report to the incoming coach next year.

Meanwhile, the caretaker (whoever that is) could concentrate on freeing up the way they play now - so they can stop looking like trauma victims every game.

So the answer to all the critics saying there is no gameplan is to "free them up" and go with no gameplan at all. What's it to be, one-on-one all over the park and run the ball at all cost?

Like a knee-jerk reaction to sack the coach halfway through his tenure because we are getting beaten by the good sides?

But how many more 100 point thrashings can the old girl handle. You have to weigh it up Ralph.

We are a long way from another win.

And most of the players Neeld drafted last summer are in the 2's.

it is just not working.

• Like 1

But how many more 100 point thrashings can the old girl handle. You have to weigh it up Ralph.

We are a long way from another win.

And most of the players Neeld drafted last summer are in the 2's.

it is just not working.

Interesting observation WYL. Since Neeld has been there, which players has he brought in to the Club actually played last Sunday? I think I can count 4, out of how many?

I have no doubt that he is used to a system where 1st year players aren't expected to slot straight in to the 1's, and have ample time to develop in the VFL (see Taggart and Tynan). BUt, as I said, it's an interesting observation.

i wouldnt exactly call Gerard a melbourne great. Please.

What does he think we will achieve against hawthorn and collingwood. Does he realise we wont win. Personally I think we should wait until after the bye and if we get thrashed by the saints and dogs then something will have to be done.

But all credit to Neeld he keep fronting up to the cameras and all the media will be down at training on thursday hounding him.

Equally as sad is that if they do put in a winning performances after he is sacked what does that say about the players.

I guess it will depend on do they win playing with the same gameplan and strategy or because they play a different style of football, we know we have talent there, we know we are better than what we are showing, a coach has to bring that out. For us to compete and win we need the best out of our players which is certainly not happening at the moment.

Neeld may well get the chop but the media effectively drive this and, to that end, I hate what is happening. Ie Wayne Carey thinks Dennis Pagan should coach us. Effectively they're writing stories as if its already happened and rather than observing they are creating ( if you get my drift)

• Like 2

He was a Demon great. We should have kept him. Did he fall out with the coach? I can't recall. He would have helped us in the 1988 Grand Final! By the way Northey was good but he built on foundations of culture, hardness, development and recruiting laid down by Barassi. Neeld is building on quicksand laid down by Schwab, Prendergast, Connolly, Bailey, McLardy. Neeld however is not the man for the job. We should have recruited Malthouse. Now we need to recruit an established coach with a proven track record. Who will the panel be though? There is nobody at the club who can make the right decision. Jackson left Essendon in tatters. They were supposed to be the power club for a decade after 2000 premiership.

Guys like Malthouse would never come to Melbourne and risk losing their coaching 'profile'. They seek out clubs with good lists and stacks of money and then bask in the reflection of their elite coaching skills. Think Ross Lyon.

Guys like Malthouse would never come to Melbourne and risk losing their coaching 'profile'. They seek out clubs with good lists and stacks of money and then bask in the reflection of their elite coaching skills. Think Ross Lyon.

So true. Very few of these zen masters actually put themselves on the line. It's a lot easier to be all knowing when you have Carlton's list.

I get the feeling that Gerard is getting news fed to him from somewhere. No chance in hell would he come out with such a specific time frame if he didn't have some inside mail. The leaker has probably done it with a view to pacifying supporter discontent. No way could the club come out and say this officially but it also at least gives Neeld some time to at least get the boys to put in a 'competitive' effort.That being said I'm sick to death of 'competitive'. I know that in reality we can't beat Hawthorn or Collingwood but the club needs to go into these games thinking it can win. Supporters might have realistic expectations but the expectations that are promoted in house must be 'win at all costs'.

Why is it that former players who express a critical opinion are slagged off. Healy was a terrific player who played in some shitty sides. He was often one out as a "classy player". I remember A fantastic goal at Windy Hill. He went to Sydney to make a quid. Don't slag him for what he did at melbourne. I wouldn't mind a bloke who could kick 70 odd goals in a season right now!!!

Why is it that former players who express a critical opinion are slagged off. Healy was a terrific player who played in some shitty sides. He was often one out as a "classy player". I remember A fantastic goal at Windy Hill. He went to Sydney to make a quid. Don't slag him for what he did at melbourne. I wouldn't mind a bloke who could kick 70 odd goals in a season right now!!!

Fair call Bitter. I think Demon fans in general are feeling a little under siege at the moment and therefore overreacting. Having said that, they can all get stuffed.

• Like 1

But he said something bad about us so that undoes all those times he was good for us .

He was carried by the The Fidge brothers ,Rugolo ,Battiston ,Icke etc anyway .

Never forget the great team around him that made him look so silky .

• Like 2

But he said something bad about us so that undoes all those times he was good for us .

He was carried by the The Fidge brothers ,Rugolo ,Battiston ,Icke etc anyway .

Never forget the great team around him that made him look so silky .

Don't forget the support he got from Jacko!!

• Like 1

He was a Demon great. We should have kept him. Did he fall out with the coach? I can't recall. He would have helped us in the 1988 Grand Final! By the way Northey was good but he built on foundations of culture, hardness, development and recruiting laid down by Barassi. Neeld is building on quicksand laid down by Schwab, Prendergast, Connolly, Bailey, McLardy. Neeld however is not the man for the job. We should have recruited Malthouse. Now we need to recruit an established coach with a proven track record. Who will the panel be though? There is nobody at the club who can make the right decision. Jackson left Essendon in tatters. They were supposed to be the power club for a decade after 2000 premiership.

He was offered big money just like Scully and went for it. The late Merv Neagle left an Essendon team that was a powerhouse for Sydney as well. Greg Willams also went up to Sydney from Geelong , they were a decent team but they were never going to win a Premiership.

Jackson didn't leave Essendon in tatters , don't forget he made the hard decision to sack Sheeds which nobody had the guts to do. Sheeds time was up and don't think he is a man who doesn't make hard decisions. As an Essendon supporter the salary cap destroyed our team , surely you remember having Moorcroft & Heffernan at Melbourne.

I have to say, having watched the comments I don't think he was being at all unfair. He went on to say that the bare bones of a very good side ar ethere, but we are missing too many pieces. He said he understands why Neeld wants to stick around because once we get those holes filled in it's going to be a good side for whoever is coaching it. Obviously, the bare bones would be somewhat stripped if we were to loose certain players at season's end, so that is a bit of a priority.