Our Glorious Past

I know it happened a long time ago but it is surely something to hang your hat on as a loyal Demons supporter.

The current Geelong team is being cited as being truly a great football team over a long period. Fair enough too as winning 125 games out of 151 is a wonderful effort BUT has any team got close to beating Melbourne's record over a ten year period from 1955 to 1964?

MELBOURNE FC

1955 1st

1956 1st

1957 1st

1958 2nd ( Minor premiers) Grr! I still haven't got over losing that GF to the enemy.

1959 1st

1960 1st

1961 3rd

1962 4th

1963 3rd

1964 1st

Yeah, 6 premierships and one runners up in a period of 10 years aint too bad I reckon.

I know I am living in the past but it sure helps right now.

• Like 5

Suppose the 2nd in '54 adds to the record as well. Not far off winning 7 flags in a row, BMc

Interesting that the Cats only won a total of 20 games (+2 draws) from 1957 to 1960 and were firmly entrenched at or near the bottom of the ladder for those 4 years. Those Geelong fans must have envied us then like we envy them now.

Not a big one for the past but gave me the shits when SEN pregame was talking this Geeling side of 07-13 up as the greatest side of all time. The panelists all spoke about the Threepeat Brisbane side, the Hawks of 83-91 & the Pies team which won 4 in a row. At know stage was our side of the 50's & early 60's ever brought up.

Not a big one for the past but gave me the shits when SEN pregame was talking this Geeling side of 07-13 up as the greatest side of all time. The panelists all spoke about the Threepeat Brisbane side, the Hawks of 83-91 & the Pies team which won 4 in a row. At know stage was our side of the 50's & early 60's ever brought up.

Probably because nobody can remember that far back. People always tend to weigh more heavily towards things more fresh in their memory; we see this phenomenon on the forum all the time when people claim that "that loss was even worse than 186!" when no loss will ever, ever be worse than 186.

• Like 1

Guys I was there and as you suggest it is about all we have left now.

But it was 55+ years ago i.e over half a century .

Most of the curent media people where not born then.

This just reminds me of CS and his fixation on the long gone past and the bloody Blazers.

We are in the second decade of the 21st Century.

We are crap and likely to stay that way for some time.

We are not great just irrelevant lets get on with fixing that.

If we are lucky we will survive and not just be a fading memory of history

Guys I was there and as you suggest it is about all we have left now.

But it was 55+ years ago i.e over half a century .

Most of the curent media people where not born then.

This just reminds me of CS and his fixation on the long gone past and the bloody Blazers.

We are in the second decade of the 21st Century.

We are crap and likely to stay that way for some time.

We are not great just irrelevant lets get on with fixing that.

If we are lucky we will survive and not just be a fading memory of history

Old, don't you think you putting the above gives the gutter journalists something to hang there hat on, glad to see you think the team you support is crap and being so optimistic about how long the 'fix' is going to take, I personally think it will sooner rather than later

If you feel irrelevant then that's your problem

We are going to survive, to think otherwise is ridiculous

Other teams have been in exactly the same position, the Bulldogs are stood alongside us now, and it is even longer since they saw their one prize, this is footy.

I have already moved on from last week and looking forward to seeing whether we can repeat and even better the performance against Fremantle

And just a point again, I have asked nearly 40 odd players for an opinion on the blazer, they all really like it

And just a point again, I have asked nearly 40 odd players for an opinion on the blazer, they all really like it

How many of them are going to tell you that they hate it, really? Surely when talking to a player, you would expect some degree of towing the line. Most players aren't going to be 100% candid when asked on their opinion of things.

• Like 1

Old, don't you think you putting the above gives the gutter journalists something to hang there hat on, glad to see you think the team you support is crap and being so optimistic about how long the 'fix' is going to take, I personally think it will sooner rather than later

If you feel irrelevant then that's your problem

We are going to survive, to think otherwise is ridiculous

Other teams have been in exactly the same position, the Bulldogs are stood alongside us now, and it is even longer since they saw their one prize, this is footy.

I have already moved on from last week and looking forward to seeing whether we can repeat and even better the performance against Fremantle

That is like asking a player if they support the Coach of course they will say yes.

Any way that is a minor issue, the issue is we are way less than average our results prove this.

You are irrelevant when you struggle to get effort from the players, when trying in a game is seen as a good result, and when the general football see you as such.

You are irrelevant when you live on glories from over half a century ago.

To move forward you have to acknowledge the very poor position the club is in.

If you don't you will stay where you are as you blame all sorts of things for your predictment .

When the reality is you just have a poor administraion and poor Playing group.

I have stopped blindly following the status quo it has produced our current situation.

How many of them are going to tell you that they hate it, really? Surely when talking to a player, you would expect some degree of towing the line. Most players aren't going to be 100% candid when asked on their opinion of things.

Er no they're not, depends on the relationship with the players....an example -being allowed to kiss Nathan Jones on his bald head a la Adam Cooney, when he won the B&F - so if I ask I usually get the truth......Nathan Stark who is a trendy 18 yr old, loves the blazer, he enthused about it

That is like asking a player if they support the Coach of course they will say yes.

Any way that is a minor issue, the issue is we are way less than average our results prove this.

You are irrelevant when you struggle to get effort from the players, when trying in a game is seen as a good result, and when the general football see you as such.

You are irrelevant when you live on glories from over half a century ago.

To move forward you have to acknowledge the very poor position the club is in.

If you don't you will stay where you are as you blame all sorts of things for your predictment .

When the reality is you just have a poor administraion and poor Playing group.

I have stopped blindly following the status quo it has produced our current situation.

I am not living on glories from 50 years ago, bit sad if you are Old, can't have much of a life

Unfortunately think a few of the players are a bit scarred from what has occurred in the last 4 or 5 years, natural when you are dealing with young blokes, but I think they can get out of their funk, just needs time

The Club is in a poor position on the field at the moment, but as I said above, we will get out of it, bit of a waste of time continually wallowing in misery, went last week looking forward to the game, same this week, it's just footy, get disgusted and disappointed but then it is forgotten and on again

The playing group is not poor, 75% of it is inexperienced, it will get better

Peter Jackson will sort out whatever is necessary off the field, unfortunately looks like we will have a loss this year, but it is not the end of the world or the club

Er no they're not, depends on the relationship with the players....an example -being allowed to kiss Nathan Jones on his bald head a la Adam Cooney, when he won the B&F - so if I ask I usually get the truth......Nathan Stark who is a trendy 18 yr old, loves the blazer, he enthused about it

Satryiconhome, you come across as a desperate groupie. Carry on big noting yourself at every opportunity .....

• Like 2

saty

love your passion. buuuuuuuut blazers went out with flairs and winfields tucked up tshirt sleeves at the BnF

Satryiconhome, you come across as a desperate groupie. Carry on big noting yourself at every opportunity .....

Not a desperate groupie old chap, just a supporter who supports and the players recognise and appreciate that.

I was making a point, not big noting myself, I know I am good, no need to advertise the fact

To reciprocate would prefer to be me rather than the sad and bitter personality you seem to be

saty

love your passion. buuuuuuuut blazers went out with flairs and winfields tucked up tshirt sleeves at the BnF

Jazza, you do really need to get out more, Smith St Collingwood, Friday night......you will see all 3....I did last Friday.......in fact the winnies tucked up the shirt sleeve had aviator shades on!!!!!, I was beside myself

Jazza, you do really need to get out more, Smith St Collingwood, Friday night......you will see all 3....I did last Friday.......in fact the winnies tucked up the shirt sleeve had aviator shades on!!!!!, I was beside myself

matter of fact that what i was wearing in 1974 and you call us country people slow

btw they still waer winklepickers and have rats tails at the beach forrest pub on a saturday night

Probably because nobody can remember that far back. People always tend to weigh more heavily towards things more fresh in their memory; we see this phenomenon on the forum all the time when people claim that "that loss was even worse than 186!" when no loss will ever, ever be worse than 186.

Good point BUT Collingwood's four flags in a row occurred way back in the '20's and 30's. No, they just can't bring themselves to speak well of the Dees.

Good point BUT Collingwood's four flags in a row occurred way back in the '20's and 30's. No, they just can't bring themselves to speak well of the Dees.

Fair enough, but honestly those flags - and the MFC ones - were such a long time ago that it's hardly worth comparing modern teams against them anyway. Who can honestly actually remember Collingwood's golden era of the 20s?

It's great to see they performed well 50-60 years ago.

Really, it is.

But in another 10-20 years, few people will be alive to have remembered it.

Time to move on and look forward.

We need to replace all of those "19s", "50s" and "60s" with some "201x".

• Like 1

It's great to see they performed well 50-60 years ago.

Really, it is.

But in another 10-20 years, few people will be alive to have remembered it.

Time to move on and look forward.

We need to replace all of those "19s", "50s" and "60s" with some "201x".

Well put Cudi

I hope I make it to the end of this decade and we are a powerful team by then.

Perhaps for others like your self another flag next decade.

History and tradition is one thing but as I have said before on here, if you spend too much time reflecting on the past or planning for your future, you will neglect your here and nows.
The blazers are a gimmick, a quite unpopular one with many of the rank and file. As I have said before, I almost fell off my chair when I went to see Richmond and St. Kilda at the start of the year....

No buglers! No blazers! The Tiges didn't play in lace up jumpers to celebrate their history nor the Saints in red, black and yellow! We were meant to be entertained by.... GASP!... the action on the field! A novel concept to be sure.
The bugler has ridden off into the sunset. Next step, those bloody blazers.

Fair enough, but honestly those flags - and the MFC ones - were such a long time ago that it's hardly worth comparing modern teams against them anyway. Who can honestly actually remember Collingwood's golden era of the 20s?

Old Dee was playing for the Fuschias and he was too loose on Syd Coventry .

I've seen the daguerreotypes.

Old Dee was playing for the Fuschias and he was too loose on Syd Coventry .

I've seen the daguerreotypes.

gurday biff how rhey hanging

we havent seen your ugly mug for yonks