Casey Scorpions v Box Hill Hawks

KC from Casey

Hawks 126 - 66 and its all over.

The margin would have been bigger if we didn't have Pederson down back.

Very few positives out of todays game, right from the start you could see Box Hill were more switched on than us. The second quarter with the stiffened breeze was predictably barren for Casey, we just got smashed out of the middle.

Pederson after barely being sighted in the first half had a solid second half.

Fitzpatrick took a few great contested grabs, but let himself down with his finishing. Had a much better game than Hogan who just didnt seem to present to the right spots anywhere near as well as Fitzy. Was easily Hogans quietest game of the year.

Rodan non-existent, Blease showed why he's still at Casey, a few flashy runs but wasteful disposal and barely any defensive pressure (we know Welsh is obsessed with DI's)

Gillies anonymous.

Spencer showed exactly why he is so frustrating at times. He did a fantastic chase on a smaller more nimble BH opponent, forced him to run too far and won a tremendously well earned free, only to shank the resultant free kick directly to an opponent. Just a game today.

Taggert barely sighted the ball but when he did looked good, not enough posessions today to excite.

Barry absolutely butchered the ball the few times he got it, his disposal eff would have been below 50%.

Couch, one of our most important players in the engine room was very well held until the 3rd quarter when his drive got us back into it for a bit.

Joel McDonald was Joel McDonald, tough and hard at the contest but clumsy and dumb with many of his posessions.

• Like 2

Pretty good summary there 'Dave', I would add that Spencer was beaten convincingly at the centre bounces giving Box Hill first use of the ball.

Taggert takes a good strong mark and kicks well but as you say he needs to get more of the ball. I would rather see him in the middle than Rodan to see what he can do. He needs some responsibility otherwise he seems to just drift through the game.

Tackling as a whole very average and kicking to position also very average, the MFC skill set seems to be rubbing off.

Taggert was drafted as a mid but has beenused all year as a forward

It'd be nice to play our draftees in their favoured positions...

• Like 1

So it sounded from the posts as though Peders was no good, but yet he was named best for Casey (that said it sounded like it wasn't too hard to do that!).

A bit harsh on Barry. He made a few bad mistakes, but he also nailed some really nice passes and got himself a goal. He wasn't a star, but it was a fair game for a player who's stepping up a level from the reserves.

Yeah he was ok, but how many good players in the AFL even had to play reserves. When I think of guys who started out in the VFL reserves I think of Spencer, Juice Newton, Kyle Cheney - guys who end up being good VFL players but never make the step into AFL.

I feel like if Barry is going to make it he'd want to at least cement himself a spot in the VFL by the end of the year.

Yeah he was ok, but how many good players in the AFL even had to play reserves. When I think of guys who started out in the VFL reserves I think of Spencer, Juice Newton, Kyle Cheney - guys who end up being good VFL players but never make the step into AFL.

I feel like if Barry is going to make it he'd want to at least cement himself a spot in the VFL by the end of the year.

That's hard to do when your an 18 year old who weighs less than 70kg's. Although he looks as if he has already added a bit of weighit so lets hope he doesn't have morton syndrome! - one positive today was that I saw him get a contested possession so I guess he is already ahead of morton.

Edited by Young Dee

That's hard to do when your an 18 year old who weighs less than 70kg's. Although he looks as if he has already added a bit of weighit so lets hope he doesn't have morton syndrome! - one positive today was that I saw him get a contested possession so I guess he is already ahead of morton.

Look the weight thing, well a couple of the all time greats in our own Robbie Flower and Gary Wilson from the roys weighed in at around 69kg when they were playing good footy in a pretty tough VFL comp and there's a kid playing at Port that doesn't look to big.

Having said that I think you are right that Barry looks like he has already put on some weight and he did get involved in the contested ball which he needs to do.

So it sounded from the posts as though Peders was no good, but yet he was named best for Casey (that said it sounded like it wasn't too hard to do that!).

He got a bit of ball in the 2nd half, played down back and is probably a better bet there than forward....but. I think probably a good VFL level player. Out of that side today as someone posted earlier you would think Hogan and Taggert could step up and I would add Blease but he made a lot of mistakes today.

Didn't the Hawks do a swap with GWS for Anderson, similar to what we did with Barry? Barry looks like he'll take a couple of years but Anderson is ready made.

Yep got him for Gilham. Lets just hope we asked for Anderson and they said no thanks. We were already getting Hogan and 20 for 3 and 13. You wouldn't think they'd add Anderson who was highly regarded as top 20 worthy compared to Barry who was more 30-50.

I'm not having a go at Dom. I'm just saying if he's going to end up a star or capable AFL wingman/running defender etc he'd want to show that he can mix it with the VFL boys. I don't expect him to get 25 each week but if he can hold his spot that's a good start.

Yep got him for Gilham. Lets just hope we asked for Anderson and they said no thanks. We were already getting Hogan and 20 for 3 and 13. You wouldn't think they'd add Anderson who was highly regarded as top 20 worthy compared to Barry who was more 30-50.

I'm not having a go at Dom. I'm just saying if he's going to end up a star or capable AFL wingman/running defender etc he'd want to show that he can mix it with the VFL boys. I don't expect him to get 25 each week but if he can hold his spot that's a good start.

I have little doubt that Barry will make it. He gets to fall of the ball and is not scared. His decision making's not bad and apart from a couple of howlers his disposal was better than most of his team mates. His goal was good. And he takes the game on.

• Like 1

I have little doubt that Barry will make it. He gets to fall of the ball and is not scared. His decision making's not bad and apart from a couple of howlers his disposal was better than most of his team mates. His goal was good. And he takes the game on.

I wish I was as sure, but he is getting into the contests now. Watching him at training pre season he was very timid when confronted with a contest, this didn't seem to be the case today so I would say he is developing pretty well which is a good sign.

I'll kick it off, Dermot Brereton, Steven Silvagni, both played reserves footy.

I'll kick it off, Dermot Brereton, Steven Silvagni, both played reserves footy.

....and didn't Michael Tuck play about 1000 Reserves games before his 1000 senior ones?

....and didn't Michael Tuck play about 1000 Reserves games before his 1000 senior ones?

... geez, I think your right, I think Tucky did play a Lot of reserves games before the seniors, If I remember rightly.

& I remember Wayne Harmes being in the 2's as well.

Does anyone know why Taggert's playing in the forward line?

Did he have any time in the midfield yesterday?

Initially, I thought they were just trying to get him fit, now I don't get it.

Maybe it's a back management issue?

I really don't think we need another hack defensive forward when our midfield is so tragic

Can anyone enlighten