• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brent Moloney

Theo

Who hasn't Watson taken a mark against in the forward line this year? He's beaten most opponents in one on one's in a marking contest. He's bloody good. That's why he won a brownlow :huh:

Haha....does very little? You must watch the game differently to some Master. Did you see the tackle he put on Watson at one point in the 3rd and then wrestled/won the ball off him on the ground? The run out the back. Read Luenburger (and visa versa) beautifully and kicked a non too shabby goal around the corner. Justy a few examples. Some people are hard to please. Or is it that we've had so little success for so long you just don't recognise a decent game form a solid player when you see one like a few other Demon fans on here i reckon. Seriously ....laughing here :lol:

Yeah that was a nice goal and the ruck work was great. But under Bailey Moloney did all those things and almost every time we played a half decent midfield he went completely to water. 15 disposals just isn't enough, most teams, Essendon included have 5 or so midfielders who offer more than Moloney. Essendon alone have Goddard, Watson, Stanton, Hocking, Heppell and Zaharakis.

The fact is that Neeld challenged Moloney to add hard defensive running and other things to his game. The things that take your game to the level needed to be in a consistently good side.

As i said before Neeld should've motivated him in ways that got him to stay at Melbourne and still play some effective footy. For that reason it will be one of Neeld's failures. But what should we expect from a coach coming in? That he says to Moloney oh ok you've done a nice job of being spoonfed by Jamar and shoving the ball forward generally to no one and not being a great defensive worker. That's good, we will keep that up and expect the rest of the team to improve around you. I'm glad Neeld didn't do that. Instead he said lets try Jones in that position and guess what he's even better than you at it. Unfortunately playing him forward and dropping him to Casey was a step too far from Neeld. Also unfortunately now Jones gets a bloke jumping on him and there is no one to replace Jones in the rest of the midfield positions.

• Like 2

Gysberts is 21 and coming off injury and a club noted for poor development, has shown glimpses of what he could do. Sent from a team desperate for mids.

Pedo is 26 and a consistent VFL player who has never cracked AFL, brought into a team with Clark, Dawes, Gawn, Sellar, and soon Hogan all ahead of him.

Gysberts has shown some promising signs for Werribee this year, particularly on a wing. We will regret this trade, if we don't already.

Was a poor trade but I don't think Gysberts will ever make it as more than a depth player. He lacks the speed and skills for mine to play outside. He can accumulate through clever positioning and is a smart clearance player but will he ever get the quick first step and strong body required to be a pure inside player?

For mine the best he'll be isn't much better than a Matt Jones.

I think in Neeld's mind he was thinking well we can get a Matt Jones in the midfield mix and a Pedersen as a back up ruck forward and we've got 2 starters right now.

Or we can stuff around waiting for Gysberts to get the body required to get near AFL midfield strength or fitness (regardless if that was his attitude or not) and have Stef Martin never taking an overhead mark in his life. That's where I see that trade being at.

Yeah that was a nice goal and the ruck work was great. But under Bailey Moloney did all those things and almost every time we played a half decent midfield he went completely to water. 15 disposals just isn't enough, most teams, Essendon included have 5 or so midfielders who offer more than Moloney. Essendon alone have Goddard, Watson, Stanton, Hocking, Heppell and Zaharakis.

The fact is that Neeld challenged Moloney to add hard defensive running and other things to his game. The things that take your game to the level needed to be in a consistently good side.

As i said before Neeld should've motivated him in ways that got him to stay at Melbourne and still play some effective footy. For that reason it will be one of Neeld's failures. But what should we expect from a coach coming in? That he says to Moloney oh ok you've done a nice job of being spoonfed by Jamar and shoving the ball forward generally to no one and not being a great defensive worker. That's good, we will keep that up and expect the rest of the team to improve around you. I'm glad Neeld didn't do that. Instead he said lets try Jones in that position and guess what he's even better than you at it. Unfortunately playing him forward and dropping him to Casey was a step too far from Neeld. Also unfortunately now Jones gets a bloke jumping on him and there is no one to replace Jones in the rest of the midfield positions.

Sorry Masterl You're still not close. But a good attempt to cover your tracks. A coach doesn't look for "pure" disposals alone from a player. It's "effective disposals" he wants. In other words give me disposals but make sure they're to our side's advantage more often than not. You could have a player running through the middle who gets a little more of it than say Beamer did tonight, but he might negatively impact his own team many times by average or terrible ball use regardless of numbers. McKenzie is a great example of that for us in terms of ball use or horrible ball use as the case may be. A coach would take 15 to 20 quality (effective) disposals anytime over a mid that might get 20 to 30 but destroys 10 or 12 of those and has no damaging attack side to his game. And i know who i'd rather have minding say Watson if it came down to a choice of say Beamer, Jones, Trengove or McKenzie.

In addition you might want to watch the match over again mate. Beamer does alot of the grunt work in and under, as well as pressure acts and causes occasional turnovers from opposition players that go unoticed by some. Beamer's hard work and work ethic in and around the ball also allows other "outside" players a run at the ball. Also some of these acts and heavy work don't count on the stats sheet but the Coach and/or his crew are watching/observing these during the match and reviewing them post. They see the extra effort and pressure acts and it matters and counts in their eyes.

BTW, how do you know Neeld challenged him? According to Dermie, who said he spoke personally with Beamer last week, Beamer never spoke one on one at any stage with Neeld last year. He was left out in the cold. Both stubborn mules it would seem but surely it's beholden upon the Coach to break the ice?? And even if this is what Neeld wanted, maybe via a message he sent through carrier pigeon, Beamer was built for grunt by Bailey and built to get the ball out of and away from a clearance. He was somewhat heavier than he is now at Brisbane when with us prior to Neeld (approx 88/89kg 2011/12 vs 86/87kg now). Brisbane (Voss) asked Beamer to work at lightening up pre season in order to assist him in getting to a few more contests and to be able to run back a little the other way defensively. But at least they gave him an extra pre season to do so :)

Edited by Rusty Nails

No, not really.

Just watched in frustration as he refused to meet minimum targets.

Oh ok, so the coaching staff keep you up to date about that, you must be very important, maybe even as important as you think you are...

We got beaten by 10 goals by Gold Coast at our home ground last week, gosh I love Neeld.

That's not the point, Stuie. While Moloney's body size would provide a bit of a chop out for Jones and the rest of our young midfield, I don't miss him. You only had to watch him play after round 12 last year to see his heart was not in it. Not to mention he is not a leader and was a lousy downhill skier. Not missed at all. The Moloney decision was the right call.

• Like 2

That's not the point, Stuie. While Moloney's body size would provide a bit of a chop out for Jones and the rest of our young midfield, I don't miss him. You only had to watch him play after round 12 last year to see his heart was not in it. Not to mention he is not a leader and was a lousy downhill skier. Not missed at all. The Moloney decision was the right call.

Agree

I haven't followed the whole thread but I finally caught up with the AFL360 interview last night. I accept what he said about his relationship with Neeld but I understand he had lost his interest in the club at the end of 2011 when he tried to cross to Essendon. During his season under Neeld he came across as uninterested and it was inevitable that he would go given that he had no belief in the coach and wasn't prepared to do what was necessary to comply with the coach's requirements.

What I found interesting was that when the interview turned to Brisbane and the situation of Michael Voss whose coaching position was under question he said that it was up to the players to perform. A rather different attitude to the one he took with him in 2012 at Melbourne.

• Like 4

You'll never convince the mediocrity loving neeld fans, Stuie. Everything he does is gold - our results show that, don't they?

Don't you know it's all Moloney's fault. Neeld is just perfect. Makes no mistakes. Beamer's form has nothing to do with Voss believing in him.

Yeah, I've noticed Neeld has quite a few fans on this board, I have no idea how or why though?

You can be as sarcastic and condescending as you like, but next to Lucas Cook, could go down as the WORST pick 11 ever.

That statement could have the slightest bit of truth behind it if Lucas Cook was even pick 11, not pick 12. Seriously the arguments you have been presenting have just been woeful.

That statement could have the slightest bit of truth behind it if Lucas Cook was even pick 11, not pick 12. Seriously the arguments you have been presenting have just been woeful.

Seriously? Semantics.

Whatever pick Gysberts went, it was a waste.

Oh, and so was Lucas Cook....

Please enlighten me otherwise with your thoughts?

Yeah, I've noticed Neeld has quite a few fans on this board, I have no idea how or why though?

The fact that Moloney had done what he could at the club and that it was time to move on is hardly loving Neeld. It was a correct decision that was made under him and there are plenty of mistakes he has made, but this was not one.

• Like 1

You can be as sarcastic and condescending as you like, but next to Lucas Cook, could go down as the WORST pick 11 ever.

Hard to beat Cook though... no senior games and struggler in VFL ressies. Doesn't get much worse than that!

I agree Adam that it was the right call, but it gets frustrating to hear Neeld bang on about our inexperienced list needing more time, then watch experienced players such as Rivers and Beamer walk out. I think Riv is a big loss, and I believe Moloney should have smartened up and done what was asked of him. Neeld said he was required but that we couldn't match Brissy's offer - well I think the compo we got for him says our offer must have been next to nothing. When a player and the senior coach lock horns, who do you think is going to go? Was always going to be Beamer.

• Like 1

I agree Adam that it was the right call, but it gets frustrating to hear Neeld bang on about our inexperienced list needing more time, then watch experienced players such as Rivers and Beamer walk out. I think Riv is a big loss, and I believe Moloney should have smartened up and done what was asked of him. Neeld said he was required but that we couldn't match Brissy's offer - well I think the compo we got for him says our offer must have been next to nothing. When a player and the senior coach lock horns, who do you think is going to go? Was always going to be Beamer.

Rivers was a huge loss but there was nothing that could be done. It was clear that even if Bomber Thompson had taken over there'd be little chance for Riv to taste some success at the Dees and I don't blame him for going. Really hurts the experience and leadership though, I always thought he'd make a good captain.

• Like 3

I haven't followed the whole thread but I finally caught up with the AFL360 interview last night. I accept what he said about his relationship with Neeld but I understand he had lost his interest in the club at the end of 2011 when he tried to cross to Essendon. During his season under Neeld he came across as uninterested and it was inevitable that he would go given that he had no belief in the coach and wasn't prepared to do what was necessary to comply with the coach's requirements.

What I found interesting was that when the interview turned to Brisbane and the situation of Michael Voss whose coaching position was under question he said that it was up to the players to perform. A rather different attitude to the one he took with him in 2012 at Melbourne.

Obviously he didn't rate Neeld, looks like he was right. Do you think any players look interested this year? Guess they're ALL going to be packed off to other clubs...

• Like 1

Since when is agreeing with Neeld's position on Moloney, endorsing him as coach?

Some of you are making that equivocation - either because you are lazy or a reprobate.

As if Neeld would be dismissed on one decision. And if he can't then no-one can be called his supporter for agreeing with one decision.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump....

Apologies this is a thread from a while ago.. My point remains.

To all who thought Moloney leaving, and was playing so well for Brisbane.. Last Friday night was the perfect reminder for me of why we let Brent go. Actually cheered up my weekend. For all the Neeld bashing going on, and I am currently very much in the pro-leaving side.. It proved to me he made the right hard decision on this one. Nothing more than a front runner and subbed out at half time after copping half a tag was just hilarious.

Well done Mark, you've done something right.

• Like 3

Bump....

Apologies this is a thread from a while ago.. My point remains.

To all who thought Moloney leaving, and was playing so well for Brisbane.. Last Friday night was the perfect reminder for me of why we let Brent go. Actually cheered up my weekend. For all the Neeld bashing going on, and I am currently very much in the pro-leaving side.. It proved to me he made the right hard decision on this one. Nothing more than a front runner and subbed out at half time after copping half a tag was just hilarious.

Well done Mark, you've done something right.

Totally agree with you. Last friday night he had a total of 9 possessions. He couldn't get the ball out of the centre and didn't bother chasing. Neeld wanted a defensive side to his game and he wouldn't do it. Its easy to get the big numbers against the lower ranked teams and he did well against us because he was motivated to do well against his old team and probably want to stick it up Neeldy.

But against the big clubs he goes missing.

• Like 2

And Pedo is sure to be a superstar....

Pedo will be better than gysyberts was and Cook will ever be!

• Like 1