• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Scorpions v Williamstown

KC from Casey

Sorry to interrupt the bickering, but what's the consensus on Strauss' game?

He must be very close. Not sure who he comes in for though, especially with Dunn in the mix.

Was he playing across half back with accountability, or loose?

I've always thought he could be a good player delivering out of the back line but he's not looked the same since his leg injury. His kicking was elite as a junior.

• Like 1

I also was at the game and agree with pretty much what Maldon has said. On the injury front, I went up to Jessie Hogan's uncle after he chatted with his nephew and he told me that Jessie received a corky after been slammed in a marking duel in the first quarter. He might miss a week but he's OK. I also noticed that Chris Dawes had an ice pack on his knee after the game. It could be just a cautioning.

A few observations. Chris Dawes is not AFL ready and I expect he won't be called up for a few weeks if tonight was any indication. On the other hand Fitzy is in fine form and should get his chance in the next couple of weeks. Jimmy T was disappointing in the first 3 quarters and looked a little lost. He seemed to find his compass in the last quarter and got more involved. His kicking skills are very good. I thought Strauss attacked the ball very hard and even broke through packs. You get a sense that he is gaining confidence with every outing.

phew. Hope its just a corkie.

Was driving home with sen and their announcer said jeese Hogan has hurt his knee in the vfl when discussing knee injuries in afl.

Cannot believe Dunn was best player. Yeah he runs past get some easy kicks but then bombs it into the forward line. Saw him go short at one stage for a good pass. But all he seems to want to do is kick a goal from 70 metres out. Does not seem to be a team player.

From what I've read and heard I think Toumpas puts too much pressure on himself, he needs to understand, that other than the small few on here that believe he should be leading the brownlow already, the rest of us just want to see him play some good footy this year and develop and find his feet to become a A grade mid for us.

• Like 6

Everyone on this board has done hard yards, they screwed up again, thats only a matter of time before thats proven, D Barry weighs 32 kgs,you live in Sydney, how many games a season do you go to? you dont know what hard yards are, im telling you they screwed up with pick 4.

All I'll say to a comment like this is you're making a call like that far to early to say they've screwed up picks (Toumpas 3 games into a career and Barry yet to play). Incidentally Kade Simpson from Carlton (similar type player we expect Barry to become) was only 67kg when drafted (less then Barry) and didn't get a possession in his first 3 games! So acording to you Carlton would have screwed that pick up and you would have cast Simpson aside never to play again. Well Simpson's now a very good player and if Barry matches Simpson I think we'll all be happy.

And as far as hard yards go, think of the supporters who followed this club between 1965-1986 where we didn't make finals once and still stuck it out. Now that's hard yards, so if we get to the end of the 2029 season and are still yet to make the finals, then feel free to say you've done the hard yards.

But back on topic. Anyone see how Tynan and Barry went with the seconds?

Edit: ?

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 1

Watts would want to have a good game tomorrow, cos as it stands now both Dunn and Strauss deserve to be in the team ahead of him

Watts should be at CHF with Clark and Dawes out and Dunn at CHB.

• Like 2

From what I've read and heard I think Toumpas puts too much pressure on himself, he needs to understand, that other than the small few on here that believe he should be leading the brownlow already, the rest of us just want to see him play some good footy this year and develop and find his feet to become a A grade mid for us.

.... not sure if trolling

.... not sure if trolling

How is that trolling?

Some do expect the world of him already.

After game 1 he thought he le the whole Greek community down FFS. Then you read he comes off down on himself cos he hasn't impacted as much as he would like too.

Putting too much pressure on yourself can be very counter productive.

• Like 5

Please, for the love of god would people put mjt on their ignore list as i have done or at least refrain from continually quoting him. Just getting peripheral (almost subliminal) exposure to his inane statements causes me head pain.

Perhaps there needs to be some new orthodoxy for quoting posters like MJT and (insert disliked posters here) where all texted is deleted and the post number is referred to instead.

• Like 1

How is that trolling?

Some do expect the world of him already.

After game 1 he thought he le the whole Greek community down FFS. Then you read he comes off down on himself cos he hasn't impacted as much as he would like too.

Putting too much pressure on yourself can be very counter productive.

It's just you said that he puts too much pressure on himself, and some people want him to win the brownlow right now... those people are impatient but you want him to be an A grade player. You yourself are one of the former.

but i agree patience is needed

Toumpas impressed, not so much his game - though he has silky skills - but the way he got pummelled three times in the last quarter, he was hurt, but got up, got into it and continued to put himself in the firing line. The kid will be a gem mark my words.

this is why the Selectors made a major blunder overestimating the team they took into Rnd 1...

body size/strength + age/maturity + composure/experience.

We were lambs to the slaughter in Rnd 1. It took us 3 weeks to start to get something of a team back on the field, & the composure is still just trickling back in.

Our best 22, started to almost look like an AFL team from Rnd 3.

its getting better, but backs are to the wall.

We did not pick Wines. We picked Jimmy. Now, we can spend the next 12 months focusing on every Wines possession,like a mantra for morons, or we can get behind the kid that we picked.

Personally, I think Jimmy will develop into a star of the competition. One thing for sure is that I'm not writing him off week 5.

• Like 7

Toumpas was recruited with the future in mind like hogan whi I think would struggle also if he played for the dees right now.

I have not seen anything yet to suggest toumpas is soft by the way. He puts his head over it.

Toumpas will learn & become a top footballer I'm sure, as long as we don't spoil him with easy games. & easy pickings Off field.

• Like 2

It's just you said that he puts too much pressure on himself, and some people want him to win the brownlow right now... those people are impatient but you want him to be an A grade player. You yourself are one of the former.

but i agree patience is needed

Sorry, I meant, get off his back and let him develop, let him know he does not have to set the world on fire from day dot.

I think if he does not beat himself up over every mistake he makes, he has the ability to become a very very good player.

The only thing thats soft is those putrid NSW men, i go to the MCG 8 times a year, dont harp to me about getting instant gratification, i [censored] cant stand you, you dont even attend games, who are you to tell me to be patient, go watch it live and see how you feel.

Did you cry after you wrote this? reads like you did.

Btw, if he lives in sydney, that is one hell of a commute mjt.

• Like 2

Look it was a simple decision at the time - we all knew we needed an outside runner and a good kick so we picked Toumpas.

It was not a pick which was supposed to yeld short term results - it was a long term investment for our future.

We had already picked up Viney which seems to be a similar player to Wines so we did not realy need yet another contest/grunt player.

Most of our midfielders seem to be inside mids and we have very few outside mids (maybe Blease who lacks fitness).

AFL changes quickly - look at the last 5-10 years. In 5 years time the game may move away from contested footy and be more focused on run and carry.

We need to have a balanced list ready for a changing game and even if it doesn't we need a quality outside mid.

Anyway shouldn't this be moved to a Toumpas and Wines thread.

• Like 3

Comparing like with like might give your point some validity, Stringer is a KPF and 191 cm.

Pick a kid with muscle on his frame? Hogan: 97 Kg

...no Stringer played his junior and senior VFL footy as a mid and forward. He kicks a lot of goals and with the Doggies at the mo is sitting forward because they struggle there.

If he overcomes the concerns of his broken leg which pushed him down the draft order he could well be the best or the crop. I liked us picking up Jimmy T but I always had this feeling in a few years time people will be looking back at the missed chance of picking up Stringer. Good get for the Dogs.