Jeremy Howe and Tony Shaw

Dee Dee

On 3aw before he took his mark from the kick-in they were all talking up his ability to mark from whatever position he is in. Richo said he's the best mark in the game.

Tony Shaw said something to the effect that he would be incredibly damaging if they left him one out in the forward 50. It sounds a bit ridiculous as we already have clark up there (and in future hogan / dawes) but I wonder whether this might be a bit of a plan B forward structure in future. If players such as Ablett / Modra managed to hold down FF, I'm sure Howe could. I don't think anyone can match his aerial / marking ability and if they can, they wouldn't have the speed / tank to go with him on the lead.

Most games you'd want to back in your key big men and howe can contribute all over the ground... but wouldn't be a bad ploy to try if the forward line is not functioning.

Howie said in answer to that, that he likes to play up the ground a bit.

If we had two, we could put one on the wing and one in the forward line; imagine Howie kicking it to Robbo.

Tony Shaw: "I don't want to call him 'Coneelio'. I prefer 'Coniglio'. Sounds like 'Caliglia'." Typical Shaw gibberish.

But nothing will top Shaw's effort on North's Cunnington: "North have a good list of youngsters. I particularly like Ben Cuntington. Cuntington will be a fine player. See! I told you I would say it right."

To me that doesn't really justify the thread. I think this thread if continued will be focussed more on Howes contract status and likelihood of staying at the dees.

nobody cares about your opinion on whether somebody else's thread is good enough

Opposition fans love him. My Collingwood supporting colleague won't shut up about him.

He is the kind of player you would love even if he played for someone else. We all dream from our days in the schoolyard of doing what he does week in week out. And he seems a nice bloke to boot.

• Like 1

I was listening to the radio while at the WCE match, did anyone else listen to the call ? here are a couple of he lame jokes put forward by Glen Jakovich after Rohan Bail was taken of the ground.

* We just spoke to Rohan Bail and we asked him who the greatest number 1 draft selection of all time is, he said Jack Watts, boy, Rohan must be in a bad way.

* I just asked Rohan how he pulled up after the Essenson game, he said it was great to beat the bombers by 148 points

They all sat around giggling like little school boys, how pathetic and immature. Dont give away your day job Glen, your jokes are as lame as your commentary.

Cant they go five minutes without a school yard dig.

The great thing about Jeremy Howe this year is that he has dramatically improved his goal-kicking. Ive gone from knowing he'd miss to being almost certain he'll kick 'em. But don't tell the Neeld haters. They think no one has improved under his tenure.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

Howe is a far better contributor than Robbo already: Robbo was one dimensional and didn't/wouldn't/couldn't chase or offer anything defensively, nor up the field. Sure, exciting and a "good club man" but really a one trick pony.

Absolute tosh. I know it's fashionable to have a go at Robbo these days, but the fact is he was a great player for our club and carried our forward line for years. You might as well claim that Ablett Senior was a crap player because he didn't tackle (no, Robbo was not in his league as a forward). I honestly don't care that he was light on the defensive pressure. It's only relatively recently that this has become a priority for forwards. What he did do is hold down CHF for years when we couldn't find anyone else to do the job and despite being well undersized managed to give a good accounting in the role. He also scored more goals than one of our highly regarded "champions" in Garry Lyon (who was also a little light on the forward pressure if I recall) at about the same average, topped our goalkicking four times and is third on our all-time goal kicking list.

Jeremy Howe is a very good player, but he has a long way to go before he has contributed that much to the team.

• Like 5

Absolute tosh. I know it's fashionable to have a go at Robbo these days, but the fact is he was a great player for our club and carried our forward line for years. You might as well claim that Ablett Senior was a crap player because he didn't tackle (no, Robbo was not in his league as a forward). I honestly don't care that he was light on the defensive pressure. It's only relatively recently that this has become a priority for forwards. What he did do is hold down CHF for years when we couldn't find anyone else to do the job and despite being well undersized managed to give a good accounting in the role. He also scored more goals than one of our highly regarded "champions" in Garry Lyon (who was also a little light on the forward pressure if I recall) at about the same average, topped our goalkicking four times and is third on our all-time goal kicking list.

Jeremy Howe is a very good player, but he has a long way to go before he has contributed that much to the team.

Absolute tosh.

Robbo was good value but he was a one trick pony. Had to be constantly reminded to chase and apply forward pressure, and had no extra strings to his bow besides his leap and love for a goal.

Howe can do what Robbo did, and a whole lot more on top of it. He is a much better footballer and he can play anywhere.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

This mass debate over Robbo and Howe is lovely read.... But when he was playing and taking his marks and kicking goals for the club, you would have been touting him loud and proud like I was! Its like compairing a 2000 Mercedes to a new one... both are very good for their time, but the newer one looks more pretty compaired to the old bucket when looked at today.... opps should have said Opals but I don't even know what they look like or if they have steering wheels in them? Yes, Howe is a good player I like having him in our team.... BUT I also like having Robbo in our team back then!! Take you hands off it and compair Howe to a player, playing today then you will have a better understanding as to where he is at in todays environment. Both Apple islanders and both good in my books!

Totally agree with those who say Robbo is unfairly criticised these days.

He was a very very good player for the club over a long period of time.

I hope Howe has a similar length career

• Like 1

BT said on 3AW last night that he thinks Howe is the greatest mark he's ever seen, bar none.

Copped a lot of stick from Lloyd and Healy, who suggested Stewart Loewe, Michael Roach and John Coleman were all better.

I think Howe is probably the most consistent spectacular mark I've seen in 30 + years, but I'd have to say Loewe had the safest most reliable pair of hands I've seen.

Edited by Grapeviney

BT said on 3AW last night that he thinks Howe is the greatest mark he's ever seen, bar none.

Copped a lot of stick from Lloyd and Healy, who suggested Stewart Loewe, Michael Roach and John Coleman were all better.

I've think Howe is probably the most consistent spectacular mark I've seen in 30 + years, but I've have to say Loewe had the safest most reliable pair of hands I've seen.

Spot on.

My favourite thing is that Howe is only just begining his career aswell.

The thing that pisses me off is when the commentators on Triple M call him Howe-aulenko

Edited by PJ_12345

what part of 'third most goals for the club ever' do you disagree with?

I don't dispute the indisputable, that Robbo kicked a hell of a lot of goals.

I just see Howe even now contributing more overall to the team performances in terms of not only goals kicked, but the other little things that Robbo didn't do.

Robbo was a fantastic contributor but IMO, and it is an opinion, Howe should end up being a better regarded player overall.

We may still differ, but isn't that what fora like this are all about?

I've think Howe is probably the most consistent spectacular mark I've seen in 30 + years, but I've have to say Loewe had the safest most reliable pair of hands I've seen.

I cannot answer that question, but I am certain that Lloyd and Healy never saw Coleman play. How about Bob Pratt or Cazaly?