Genuine chance next week..

P-man

Let's all be honest here.

We're almost no chance.

Yes, we just won, and yes, Brisbane just lost, and yes, Brisbane look bad, and yes, we looked OK.

But remember, we played poorly enough during the first three quarters to be trailing by 19 against GWS. And that was at the G. We have to go to the Gabba next week. Brisbane was beaten by North, a very good side who's 1-3 record doesn't do its form justice.

If we play like we did in the fourth, we'll be in with a shake, but we're far more likely to play like we did in the first, second and third, opening ourselves up to being beaten quite easily.

Agreed. Against ANY other team we were down by 100+ at 3 quarter time today. A 12 goal quarter would have been no use. I can honestly say the first 3 quarters were the worst I have ever seen from and MFC side. Despite it appearing our intensity and defensive side were solid in the 1st quarter we still managed to give up 3 goals to an U19 side. And then the intensity disappeared, the willingness to spread for each other or to cover the GWS spread was utterly disgusting and our willingness to compete was putrid. That was not a professional standard of sporting event today. We will get smashed next week.

I'm at the point where I can't even try to wear the rose colored glasses anymore. I believe the supporters need to start to enact a subtle change in culture by demanding improvement instead of being satisfied with patches of decent football (which is all we've seen for the last 15 years).

I can kind of forgive some of the missed targets because that MAY improve over time...but the dropped chest marks I just can't come to grips with. These guys must have been good at taking chest marks in their junior days to have even been considered for drafting?? The continual handballing backwards to stationary targets without anybody moving at pace to receive and carry is just killing us. I blame the coaching entirely for this situation. I also blame the coaches for not having our players at 100% intensity 100% of the time. Nobody can tell me those blokes were fair dinkum all day today. We're a team that has been trying to work on our defensive side yet we can leak 5 goals in 10 minutes even against an ordinary side. How about we start by setting one goal for the match. Let's have 100 tackles each game (I conceed our tackling numbers were better today, but they have been deplorable this year). If everyone is so sure our list is so terrible then you can assume we won't have the ball as much as our opposition, so why don't we put them under some pressure? How many teams have lost games where they've had 100 tackles? Seriously would have thought this was the easiest part of the game to control and something that sits in the hands of the coaching staff to drive.

And lastly, there are 2 ways you can carry yourself as a talented/good player in a struggling team. The Nathan Jones way or the James Frawley way. I can safely say I am proud to have one of those 2 blokes wearing our jumper and representing our club every week, not so much the other one lately.

Rubbish,

Footy is a confidence game, and we would have gained a lot of it from kicking a record score in the last quarter

We have momentum going into next weeks game

Exactly, sometimes after the first win the mountain is off the shoulders and another good performance is there to be had.

Must get off to a good start and build on the last quarter.

I'm not sure how you could honestly say that.

Playing against a bunch of kids...with the intensity we showed in Q2 and Q3 we would have conceded 10 goals in each of those against a decent team...that would have put us -120 points in half a game...it was shocking...

• Like 1

Headed down to the Gabba next weekend with the old man and brother for the 1 and only game I'll be able to make this year. I don't hold out too much hope of a win after each of our performances but I'll take being competitive for 4 quarters just so the flights down and back were worth the money...

I dunno about a genuine chance, but it was hard enough talking a family of usually blasé supporters into tripping down after the start we've had, if we get kicked out of the park I might be returning on my own next year...

Its all in the mind, if we can take our last quarter confidence into next week, we are a chance.

although i feel as if Melbourne will be convincingly beaten against Brisbane, i do agree with what people say when they say foot's a confidence game.

Melbourne kickedd 12 goals and will surely take some serious confidence into the Brisbane game and do be surprised if we give them a run for their money, but it will catch up with us.

In my Opinion, we will lose by about 5-10 goals

Well, Voss is spitting chips, and to the extent that it's possible, they're going to come out fighting. They're also at home.

On the other hand, we should take some confidence out of today - and even out of a half last week. But I think more to the point, it's one more game into the likes of Terlich, Matt Jones, Pedersen, Gawn, Evans etc. and one more game that this team plays together.

Agreed. Against ANY other team we were down by 100+ at 3 quarter time today. A 12 goal quarter would have been no use. I can honestly say the first 3 quarters were the worst I have ever seen from and MFC side. Despite it appearing our intensity and defensive side were solid in the 1st quarter we still managed to give up 3 goals to an U19 side. And then the intensity disappeared, the willingness to spread for each other or to cover the GWS spread was utterly disgusting and our willingness to compete was putrid. That was not a professional standard of sporting event today. We will get smashed next week.

Admitedly the first three quarters were nothing to boast about but we did win the first quarter and it was for the first time this year!

• Like 1

I'm not sure how you could honestly say that.

I agree it was the worst MFC football I've seen..... 40 years plus worth. The last quarter was surreal in the context of that. Truly odd!!!

If we were playing here we would potentially be up to win. Up there we won't get within 12 goals of them.....

Brisbane have been all but destroyed by North. Often their own worst enemy by continually missing targets and breaking down almost every time they get it forward of centre.

We bring the commitment from the first and last quarters and properly sort out the set up at stoppages, we are in with a huge chance of two in a row and maybe a turn of the tide.

Unfortunately, our set ups at the stoppages have been rubbish for four games now. I don't think it'll change next week. I don't enjoy being a pessimist, but we'll get thrashed next week.

Our worst is far worse that the Lions. This remains a worry in every game we play.

Our steady, tight football (when we show it) is equal to theirs.

Our best - shown today in the 4th quarter - is better than their best.

We are a chance and I reckon it will be within 3 goals for them or us but I am not confident.

Bring in Strauss and McKenzie for Viney (needs a break) and Jetta. Don't mess with a winning team, even though it means leaving Pedersen in.

Having watched the whole of the Casey match at Windy Hill, and today at the "G", I would like to make the following observations:

1. Although McKenzie got 30 touches, they were largely ineffective. His kicking is neither accurate nor long, and is too slow to be a class player;

2. Strauss in my view is grossly over rated by the writers on this site. Although he is a long kick, he is not an accurate kick, and he is much too soft at the ball

If there are to be changes for next week (for instance Viney is injured as rumored, and Jetta gets suspended), I would bring in Kent and Roden. If neither is the case, I would leave the side unchanged.i certainly would not drop Jetta as suggested. He is a hard nut, and consistently wins the hard ball and provides good run out of the back half.

If Clark is injured, I would be tempted to bring in Spencer, who was best afield at Essendon and dominated a ruck division you would normally expect in the Don's firsts. I would play big Max as a permanent full forward, and have jamar and spencer share the ruck duties. An interesting experiment, and an extremely difficult one to match up on......

• Like 2

i love the optimism here, no doubt caught during the highly contagious last quarter but did you guys watch the other 3 quarters? And all other quarters this year baring some glimpses in the game against the Eagles. I also point you to exhibit A from round 1 last year.

I dearly hope I am proven wrong but I find the optimism here after one quarter of decent football to be premature. Just my two cents. As i said I love the optimism but I have supported this club for too long and have had all the optimism sucked out of me.

why do people go out of their way to be negative, to the point they just blatently make things up 'every quarter but one' , how about 2 today and 2 last week, for a total of 4, 3 more than you purport

• Like 3

Guest rednblue4life

we really need to change something in the midfield to be any chance against anyone other then gws. More acountability and change the setup when its not working.

• Like 1

we really need to change something in the midfield to be any chance against anyone other then gws. More acountability and change the setup when its not working.

told you last week, brizzy have beaten nobody, gws mids run better than lions mids .we will be out of town away from the

knockers and matress face seem to worry the backmen yesterday and gave smaller blokes confidence to lead and take over front of square space. what ever you do never panic 2/3 no worries

• Like 1

We are a chance in the same way we were a chance against Port.

I am surprised by Brisbane's capitulation tbh.

A win against them IN Brisbane would be absolutely superb for this team.

A loss, even a tight one, would demonstrate that not much has changed since last season.

Must win imo. If this team wants to demonstrate how hard it has worked, it's round 5 and it must win to show that.

Our worst is far worse that the Lions. This remains a worry in every game we play.

Our steady, tight football (when we show it) is equal to theirs.

Our best - shown today in the 4th quarter - is better than their best.

We are a chance and I reckon it will be within 3 goals for them or us but I am not confident.

Bring in Strauss and McKenzie for Viney (needs a break) and Jetta. Don't mess with a winning team, even though it means leaving Pedersen in.

Sorry, Pedersen MUST play with Casey this week.. We will never get where we need to be if we keep playing players like this. We need to one by one replace weaknesses along the way with tryers or players with more ability. Please let us go forward in our thinking and not hesitate to make moves when they are so obviously needed.. It has taken us 155 years to score 12 goals plus in a last quarter so let us have a damn good look at what we did right , try to eliminate the things we did wrong and work on filling gaps like Pedersen ...NOW !!!. Sorry if it sounds a little too harsh but we HAVE to make these decisions. We should never get carried away with Saturday but we must learn from the second and third quarters, because good sides will tear us apart if we play two quarters like that each week... We would not be within 19 points at three quarter time as we were on Saturday... more like 40 plus .... Hopefully we can start here..

Given Gawn's and Pedo's performance on the weekend. If Dawes is a starter, do you think that Jamar will be dropped? If not, it would mean we would be fielding a very tall and possibly slow side - a Jamar, Gawn, Dawes, Clark and Pedo.

Given Gawn's and Pedo's performance on the weekend. If Dawes is a starter, do you think that Jamar will be dropped? If not, it would mean we would be fielding a very tall and possibly slow side - a Jamar, Gawn, Dawes, Clark and Pedo.

Was in the presidents club function yesterday and Dawes was speaking about when he will be back. He said he was hoping to play VFL this week but could be the week after so it sounds like we shouldn't expect to see him in the for the next few weeks.