Just when you thought we may have been implementing cultural change

Gorgoroth

No, we need change from the top down.

I've made a number of references as to why and how in posts #49, #69, #71 and #73 in this thread.

angrydee said ...

This club needs both.

Gday ad, I'm certainly not excluding the players from any blame. But it starts from the top down.

This is almost certainly going to be our 7th poor season in a row. It cannot just be a player problem. It's the easily identifiable reason but a team can't be this bad for this long without management issues.

The Board make the appointments either directly or indirectly and also oversee everything. The Administration also have a hand in appointments and also oversee things. The Football Department and the coaches have their responsibilities and they list or delist players and so on and so forth. There is obviously a lot more to it but that's a quick overview. Then we have the players and their output.

There's a chain of command and if things go badly wrong for a long period of time it has to be a management issue.

As an example ... We know that the defensive aspects of our game and our accountability skills were poor under Dean Bailey. Is that the players fault or the fault of those coaching and instructing them? And who was keeping a watchful eye over the FD and the coaches?

It all starts at the top. Our CEO was moved on last Tuesday so perhaps that's the first move in addressing things at the top. Though we were told that CS 'polarising the supporter base' was a reason for letting him go.

Edited by Macca

Although Dermie put it as "having a few laughs" I think he probably played it down.

I'm all for having a laught, but when your meant to be going from spa into ice baths etc and this is a massive part of recovery, the I'd expect some professionalism fromthem whilst doing it.

No, we need change from the top down.

I've made a number of references as to why and how in posts #49, #69, #71 and #73 in this thread.

Well Macca, that's ok, we can cross reference them with ease now and still totally disagree with what you are saying

I love logging on before I start work and look for the most ridiculous thread on Demonland for the day, took me two seconds this morning

Some of the posters really do need to get a life, sifting through media looking for the slightest bit of nonsense to hang a thread on

Do you really think at this stage that Misson would even allow the players "to mess around", they had probably done their recovery and were "relaxing;", a bit of down time.....never, have them doing lap after lap

And apart from it is all hearsay

And Dermot Brereton commenting on players behaviour....really....yes he was a champion......but 20 yrs ago....the game has changed, wouldn't last two minutes now

Winning is not about improving personal KPI's every week some mumbo jumbo Look at how they are playing for god sake

It is about desire to win

Our guys just dont have it They appear completely disinterested on the field

Until they want it badly enough nothing will change

• Like 1

Winning is not about improving personal KPI's every week some mumbo jumbo Look at how they are playing for god sake

It is about desire to win

Our guys just dont have it They appear completely disinterested on the field

Until they want it badly enough nothing will change

So you didn't watch the game at the weekend then, especially the first half......from your comments obviously not.....or speak to any of the players afterwards obviously not.......have you any idea how monotonous and boring posts like yours are becoming obviously not....are you going to suggest what action should be taken...obviously not

Edited by Satyriconhome

I've got no problem with a differing view rjay. But the facts are the facts.

My views could look depressing on first glance but it's not like I don't offer a solution. Or at least an opinion of how we can get better. After the 1st game I laid the blame at everyone in our club. Everyone at the club needed to examine what they brought to the table. Instead of pointing the finger. So what did we do? We pointed the finger at Cameron Schwab.

We need change from the top down. We sacked the CEO but how is that going to fix our immediate on field problems? Maybe long term there will be some tangible effects from a change of the CEO but in the Chairman's words, it was a move to appease the supporters who were 'Polarised' by CS. Hate to bang on about it, but it just looked totally amateurish and it sums up our club.

I'm agreeing with you 'Macca' on the winning thing that's why I'm saying the only KPI that counts is the scoreboard. They can talk anything else they want but they must talk wins, that's what the game is all about. Winning breeds winning, look at Geelong they may be down and out but still find ways to win.

• Like 1

Some Storm players walked past a large group of MFC players in the spas, relaxing and laughing at AAMI park - instead of in the ice baths like the Storm players were

Dermie put it down to a lack of leadership caused by electing captains that are too young which caused a separation between them and players whom had played more games than them.

We have 100 fitness staff and coaches. Why aren't they there directing things?? Reminds me of a story about our weights training a couple of years ago. Said that the Dee players had no system or supervision but simply wandered in, lifted a few light weights, had a chat and left. No professionalism.

Doesn't sound like much has changed.

• Like 3

Sounds like some pressure on Eddie to stand down. nothing much yet but if it happens could we get him over to the club? eddie as president would be the shake up we need. not a demon but his professionalism would be an outstanding addition. if we have to rely on just choosing a mfc supporter then we have slim pickings im afraid

So you didn't watch the game at the weekend then, especially the first half......from your comments obviously not.....or speak to any of the players afterwards obviously not.......have you any idea how monotonous and boring posts like yours are becoming obviously not....are you going to suggest what action should be taken...obviously not

Any action would be better than your constant head-in-the-sand method Satyriconhome.

I admire your constant protecting of players and coaches, but I think it's well past time that you grew a set and demanded more, like the rest of us.

You were happy with a half of footy last Saturday? Good for you. The last I looked a game was made up of 4 quarters, not 2. And further to that, even at half time we were behind, yet we applaud? FFS.

I cringed at Jones' comments about the first half being "Melbourne football". Chunk, I love your guts, but mate, we lost every quarter, including the first 2 in which we played "our" football. That entire press conference, especially Neeld's "contribution" made me spew. I watched all 14 minutes or how ever long it was, then had to run out and buy a paper to make sure that we had won, such was the attitude of the 2 blokes talking. Given the amount of positive talk, I was amazed that we had lost at all, let alone by 94 points.

The only time I want to hear anyone from within the Club saying that we played "Melbourne football" is when we have won every quarter, and our opponents have walked off sore, wounded and their prides bruised. Until then, STFU, work your arse off, and do whatever it takes to get the best out of yourself.

• Like 4

Satyriconhome, on 16 Apr 2013 - 07:52, said:snapback.png

Well Macca, that's ok, we can cross reference them with ease now and still totally disagree with what you are saying

I love logging on before I start work and look for the most ridiculous thread on Demonland for the day, took me two seconds this morning

Some of the posters really do need to get a life, sifting through media looking for the slightest bit of nonsense to hang a thread on

Do you really think at this stage that Misson would even allow the players "to mess around", they had probably done their recovery and were "relaxing;", a bit of down time.....never, have them doing lap after lap

And apart from it is all hearsay

And Dermot Brereton commenting on players behaviour....really....yes he was a champion......but 20 yrs ago....the game has changed, wouldn't last two minutes now

I have my own opinions - I'm not and never have been 'media driven'. Been saying largely the same thing for years. It's about everyone at the club - not about any individual.

You only have to look at how the team is or has been playing for proof positive. It's right before our eyes.

I don't believe the spin and the bs. If you and others choose to, then that's your decision.

Any action would be better than your constant head-in-the-sand method Satyriconhome.

I admire your constant protecting of players and coaches, but I think it's well past time that you grew a set and demanded more, like the rest of us.

You were happy with a half of footy last Saturday? Good for you. The last I looked a game was made up of 4 quarters, not 2. And further to that, even at half time we were behind, yet we applaud? FFS.

I cringed at Jones' comments about the first half being "Melbourne football". Chunk, I love your guts, but mate, we lost every quarter, including the first 2 in which we played "our" football. That entire press conference, especially Neeld's "contribution" made me spew. I watched all 14 minutes or how ever long it was, then had to run out and buy a paper to make sure that we had won, such was the attitude of the 2 blokes talking. Given the amount of positive talk, I was amazed that we had lost at all, let alone by 94 points.

The only time I want to hear anyone from within the Club saying that we played "Melbourne football" is when we have won every quarter, and our opponents have walked off sore, wounded and their prides bruised. Until then, STFU, work your arse off, and do whatever it takes to get the best out of yourself.

I have said it before and I will say it again......if you don't like what you are seeing.....don't watch it.....

.I don't have my head in the sand, I don't have it up my arse either.........Melbourne is the club I support.......yes I am [censored] off with how we are playing at the moment, yes half a game is not good enough, but personally ie my opinion, and after watching 35 years of footy, I think, again I think, we are on the right track

Also it is my Club so I don't rip it to bits constantly, what does it achieve, do you need to do it, like some other posters, to feel like you have achieved something

I take it by your comments you have played AFL football and know exactly what you need to do to achieve what you and some of the more colourful posters want, I don't, that's why I don't start interminable threads whingeing and whining about everything

Grow a set, I'll tell you what, you bring yours tonight and ring around members trying to get them to resign, or do you need your keyboard for protection

I

• Like 2

Gday ad, I'm certainly not excluding the players from any blame. But it starts from the top down.

This is almost certainly going to be our 7th poor season in a row. It cannot just be a player problem. It's the easily identifiable reason but a team can't be this bad for this long without management issues.

The Board make the appointments either directly or indirectly and also oversee everything. The Administration also have a hand in appointments and also oversee things. The Football Department and the coaches have their responsibilities and they list or delist players and so on and so forth. There is obviously a lot more to it but that's a quick overview. Then we have the players and their output.

There's a chain of command and if things go badly wrong for a long period of time it has to be a management issue.

As an example ... We know that the defensive aspects of our game and our accountability skills were poor under Dean Bailey. Is that the players fault or the fault of those coaching and instructing them? And who was keeping a watchful eye over the FD and the coaches?

It all starts at the top. Our CEO was moved on last Tuesday so perhaps that's the first move in addressing things at the top. Though we were told that CS 'polarising the supporter base' was a reason for letting him go.

Macca yo udo realise that over these 7 seasons:

• There have been 2 boards
  • 4 Presidents
  • 3 Coaches
  • 5 captains
  • New coaching staff (including recruiting ect)
  • I'd be surprised if anyone has been with the MFC for more than 7 seasons

So maca, when does this end? We have consistently had new management, yet consistently played poorly.

Maybe its time to buy into a long-term strategy and give it enough time to develop instead of going axe crazy 2 seasons in... like last time...

• Like 4

Because there were no other reasons.

Are you sure about that re Cameron Schwab?

Satyriconhome, on 16 Apr 2013 - 07:52, said:snapback.png

I have my own opinions - I'm not and never have been 'media driven'. Been saying largely the same thing for years. It's about everyone at the club - not about any individual.

You only have to look at how the team is or has been playing for proof positive. It's right before our eyes.

I don't believe the spin and the bs. If you and others choose to, then that's your decision.

For years....what you mean 6 since the Club last made finals, or was everything [censored] before then as well?

• 4 Presidents
  • 3 Coaches
  • 5 captains

So maca, when does this end? We have consistently had new management, yet consistently played poorly.

Maybe its time to buy into a long-term strategy and give it enough time to develop instead of going axe crazy 2 seasons in... like last time...

Don't suggest that, you will be accused of supporing the club, or accepting mediocrity, protecting the players........cool post.......if they buy into the long term plan....they will have nothing to whinge about

• Like 2

• 4 Presidents
  • 3 Coaches
  • 5 captains

Right now, the people in place are performing poorly. From the top down.

And we have a history of performing poorly. Especially in the last 6+ years.

• Like 1

Although Dermie put it as "having a few laughs" I think he probably played it down.

I'm all for having a laught, but when your meant to be going from spa into ice baths etc and this is a massive part of recovery, the I'd expect some professionalism fromthem whilst doing it.

...and do we actually know what they were doing before or after their spa?

A lot of hearsay going around - who knows, they may have been having a laugh because they had just been through the pain of the ice bath and were happy to be out of it? Really, people need to get all the facts.

That is not to say that the guys are not taking the whole thing as seriously as they should, but this "incident" may well be totally out of context.

• Like 2

Right now, the people in place are performing poorly. From the top down.

And we have a history of performing poorly. Especially in the last 6+ years.

Great to know you would sacrifice long-term strategy over short-term results... feeling alot like deja vu

For years....what you mean 6 since the Club last made finals, or was everything [censored] before then as well?

At various times in the clubs history.

I don't want to argue with you for 2 days. It's pointless. You have your opinion and it's doubtful you'll change your mind. I've said what I've said and I don't want to repeat myself.

I have said it before and I will say it again......if you don't like what you are seeing.....don't watch it.....

.I don't have my head in the sand, I don't have it up my arse either.........Melbourne is the club I support.......yes I am [censored] off with how we are playing at the moment, yes half a game is not good enough, but personally ie my opinion, and after watching 35 years of footy, I think, again I think, we are on the right track

Also it is my Club so I don't rip it to bits constantly, what does it achieve, do you need to do it, like some other posters, to feel like you have achieved something

I take it by your comments you have played AFL football and know exactly what you need to do to achieve what you and some of the more colourful posters want, I don't, that's why I don't start interminable threads whingeing and whining about everything

Grow a set, I'll tell you what, you bring yours tonight and ring around members trying to get them to resign, or do you need your keyboard for protection

I

Absolute nothing post, yet you complain about others contributing nothiing.

I'd like to know what gives you the confidence to beleive that we are on the right track. At this stage, I think you are putting blind faith in a number of people at the club. But again, that's your decision. I have long said that Neeld has the potential of being the next Melbourne premiership coach, or the last coach of the Melbourne FC, I just didn't know which way it would go, but hoped like hell that it was the former.

In terms of me playing AFL, no, I haven't played in the top league. I have played at an elite level in other sports, and I can assure you, if you can get your sh!t sprted personally and know you are doing everything possible to get the best out of yourself, then your voice will be respected by many. If you sit back and whinge about how crap it is but aren't doing your bit, your opinion will not be respected, and so it shouldn't. This could mean that if a poster on here has been a member for more years than they can remember, and attend every game that they can, then they have every right to speak up.

As for the membership calls, I live in Queensland. I'm satisfied with the set that I've grown, and by not turning up tonight won't make them shrink in any way.

• Like 4

Great to know you would sacrifice long-term strategy over short-term results... feeling alot like deja vu

The long term strategy could easily be totally wrong. Have you entertained that thought?

Or do you just 'buy in' because they asked you to?

Don't suggest that, you will be accused of supporing the club, or accepting mediocrity, protecting the players........cool post.......if they buy into the long term plan....they will have nothing to whinge about

Haha heaven forbid lol.

I think we all need to be a little bit more accountable - we bought into MN's long-term strategy when we all said we should appoint him.

Time to uphold our promise and give him time to let it mature.

• Like 1

Haha heaven forbid lol.

I think we all need to be a little bit more accountable - we bought into MN's long-term strategy when we all said we should appoint him.

Time to uphold our promise and give him time to let it mature.

Not all of us.