• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The players aren't fit enough, they didn't have the desire, and West Coast are a pretty bloody good team.

Rubbish.

Our players can be competitive and play simple man on man footy. The first half showed that.

Then comes Neeld, [censored] with the structure in the second half and loses complete control.

How can a coach be so devoid of any motivational skills?

That second half is up there with the first two rounds. Unacceptable.

How can we keep going this way?

• Like 3

Enjoy GWS Jack Viney and Jesse Hogan...

Mark Jamar, Colin Garland, james Frawley, Jimmy Toumpas need a rest in the seconds. Simple as that. Nothing personal but did not do enou

Ah yes but then we will all be up in arms because we make too many changes??!

Today, we did give a crack, we weren't devoid of effort, we ran, we chased, we pressured, and we even scored goals.

In the first half.

But before everyone jumps off the cliff, let's be clear about something.

Today was a completely different performance to the last two weeks.

West Coast is a very good side; they were off the boil in the first half, and we exposed them. When they stepped it up in the second half, when Cox, Kerr, Priddis, Shuey, Kennedy and Darling all lifted, no Melbourne player could go with them.

The third quarter was terrible, but if you saw it, you'll see untalented players making crucial mistakes and causing goals from direct turnovers. Dean Terlich himself led to about four. It wasn't a situation like last week or Round 1 where the players stopped trying, it wasn't a situation where we just gave up. And take a look at West Coast in the third. Their forwards couldn't miss when they kicked for goal, and their mids gave them unbelievable use of the ball with unbelievably good disposal.

Comments like 'Neeld can't get them up for even a half' are ridiculous, misplaced, and unfair. What happened today was that a very good side played one outstanding quarter, far too good for us, and we are a very poor side who can't compete with that kind of football.

• Like 11

Rubbish.

Our players can be competitive and play simple man on man footy. The first half showed that.

Then comes Neeld, [censored] with the structure in the second half and loses complete control.

How can a coach be so devoid of any motivational skills?

That second half is up there with the first two rounds. Unacceptable.

How can we keep going this way?

West Coast players were walking through our tackles because we're not strong enough for long enough to stick them. That's why our tackle stats are so low, and that's why we lose the uncontested possession count week after week.

Just have to keep turning them over until we get the right combination.

Thought Jetta was disappointing today.

Other ins Bail ,Tapscott and Evans were good.

Terlich and M. Jones are keepers.

Best game ive seen Trenners play in a while.

Sellar and Jamar have had enough chances.

Gotta bring in Gawn, Kent and Strauss next week.

We are just not good enough at the moment, but it will turn around, unfortunately i think we need another pre season.

We will win next week.

Even in local leagues,teams get beaten by 100 points plus every week, why? Its because they simply ain't got the cattle.

Josh Mahoney said to me on friday, we are still 2 or three top midfielders short, of most other sides in the comp.

This will be our main priority in the off season, and hope to God we land a big fish like Thomas.

• Like 2

Maybe its because I don't live here and back it up week after week, but I had a reasonably enjoyable day at the footy! 1st half was good on many levels, but we couldn't go with them when they lifted after half time. Eagles were sloppy in the first half but our pressure was good. the snap goals from davey and howe, plus the hanger were nice hightlights for me. More enjoyable than the last few years of ganes I've sat through at subiaco anyway!!

Heads up, we're just not any good!

Neeld's hard line talk is all very well but it seems to me that his ego gets in the way. If he is challenged by a journo he puts them down with a sarcastic comment. he does the same to Robbo in his little interviews. I have suspected that he does this to players as well. if i was a player it would not make me want to play for him. If he is to change the culture he needs to emphasise more positives. Players like Viney and Nathan Jones will give their all for any coach, and for their teammates. Its the only way they know. But there are other talented players on the list who don't seem to be playing for him. Neeld just seems to get rid of any players he can't get through to rather than finding a way of best utilising the personnel he has got.

how many completely baseless claims aka guesses were in that post?

• Like 1

I put this angle on it. First & Second quarters = respectful / competitive. Final quarter = overpowered by bigger, more experienced opposition / hung in there. This brings me to Third quarter... Everything expressed in this thread is valid. I suggest we (and the coaches / players) focus all their energy on the Third quarter. Everything we need to learn should be evident. I would appreciate fellow posters watching the third closely and providing a detailed analysis.

• Like 2

For those of you asking why people are frustrated and want to sack then coach I ask you this:

1.How many players have gotten better under him? (I say one, N. Jones)

2. If, as some of you say, he was handed the worst list in the league, what has he done to make it better?

Football is a game judged solely on wins and loses. If we had a footballer that was beaten 85% of the time and only got up against a younger player (GWS and GC) we'd want them gone.

The difficult thing to do is admit that it's not working and change it. If we stay the course we aren't going to get better. We've seen nothing to show that we can. I hope the AFL throws some weight around and puts in an experienced coach on serious coin. Enough with the untested. We need to earn some respect and Neeld isn't capable. He's proven it. I don't like that this is where we are. But we are, and we need to act.

• Like 2

Where I also said he has clearly made the list worse.

That's an opinion, not an argument. You content that he's made it worse. I contend that he's made it better. Clark, Viney, Hogan (who unfortunately can't play this year), Matt Jones, and a few others have come on board since Dean Bailey's reign of error - not to mention Chris Dawes who may or may not significantly improve our structure and onfield performance.

We need to give the coach the time to implement his vision. Calling it quits after 18 months is a surefire way to lock us into a cycle of mistrust and revolving door administration that will well and truly sink this club.

• Like 2

West Coast players were walking through our tackles because we're not strong enough for long enough to stick them. That's why our tackle stats are so low, and that's why we lose the uncontested possession count week after week.

There are no excuses for losing by 100 points in half a game of footy. None. Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

I am also critical of the 5 or 6 free kicks WC received inside their forward 50. I can't remember any for us (although my son remembers 1) even when there was a passage of play in the third where there were two blatant free kicks denied. I'll watch it again... but I also noted that WC got an 'ify' free out of the centre to start both the First and Third quarter.

• Like 2

That's an opinion, not an argument. You content that he's made it worse. I contend that he's made it better. Clark, Viney, Hogan (who unfortunately can't play this year), Matt Jones, and a few others have come on board since Dean Bailey's reign of error - not to mention Chris Dawes who may or may not significantly improve our structure and onfield performance.

We need to give the coach the time to implement his vision. Calling it quits after 18 months is a surefire way to lock us into a cycle of mistrust and revolving door administration that will well and truly sink this club.

Gillies, Pederson, Sellar, Byrnes, Rodan.

• Like 1

What did we expect, the worst team in the afl at present playing a top 4 team. A team with one high qualitymidfeilder against a team that has 7. A forward line that has one good tall option against a team with 1. A team with an all australian ruckman that still is elite against one that is facing time at casey.

They gave us hope and we got suckered in, we just dont have the talent and mental strength to play 4 quarters of afl footy.

• Like 1

We were ahead in the contested possession count until 3/4 time.

West Coast were able to keep their forward line structure and feed it for the whole game. We had to shuffle every quarter with Mitch floating back toward the end of each quarter in the first half to stop the WC run on. You remove your big target and mids look up and think ???, hesitate and get caught...

Third quarter they stepped it up, and we played like we'd done enough in the first half. WC has quality midfield depth (Kerr, Pridis, Selwood, etc...) we are still building it with a way to go. Don't think Viney, Toumpas, etc... will be able to produce a 4 quarter quality performance for a while given the rigours of AFL level midfield work.

There were ALOT more positives in this weeks performance than last week.

Edited by PaulRB

We NEED MAGNER - just put anyone on the LTI list. I know he is not the classiest player but he will put in 100% no matter what the score.

Right through the Nab cup and Casey games he has been a standout. He knows how to find the footy (shown by his 30+ touches in the last 2 casey games) and he will put his body on the line.

It all starts with the center bounce!

It does. Jamar.....Gawn. For Lucifers sake, get him in. & somehow get Magner & Couch off the rookie list & into the squad. While Rodan isnt gonna be a game breaker either...he must be given 3 to 4 chances in the seniors. Has to be better value than Seller, Garland, Frawley, Toumpas et al. & not having a go at Toumpas. Shouldn't have been selected over Rodan in the first place

Today, we did give a crack, etc ...

Good post Titan.

Issues out there today for me: Frawley, Jamar and to a lesser extent, Garland. Been around too long perhaps, but difficult to see how we could have contained their talls and forwards with the troops (currently) at our disposal.

Byrnes - not sure. We're getting it I50 so rarely, that it gets hard to judge on just a handful of possibilities. Hams was doing everything Byrnes should be doing - I actually preferred Davey myself.

Nice to see both Tapscott and Sylvia stand up. Bail, Evans and the other ins weren't disgraceful either. Depending on what happened at Ballarat, surely Gawn must be knocking on the door, or even Spencer.