MFC: Get a Beard on!

Friday

no it doesn't blame beards for their performance - at least i don't

but i would argue that silly beard competitions is evidence of where their mindset is,

and shaving them might make a more positive statement than continuing the competition and the ridicule it brings with it.

The mindset is where it is because we have had four or five horrendous years both on and off the field, with all the percieved pressure that brings........and you get supporters rabbiting on about a harmless little game with beards......every single Club has these games..we have seen the result of the wheel spin quite a few times ..but unfortunately because of where we are....the beard becomes a matter of great importance....as I said above.......this is where footy is these days......it is no wonder a lot of my vintage hark back to the 'old days'

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

The mindset is where it is because we have had four or five horrendous years both on and off the field, with all the percieved pressure that brings........and you get supporters rabbiting on about a harmless little game with beards......every single Club has these games..we have seen the result of the wheel spin quite a few times ..but unfortunately because of where we are....the beard becomes a matter of great importance....as I said above.......this is where footy is these days......it is no wonder a lot of my vintage hark back to the 'old days'

OK saty, put yourself in the player's position

You are being criticised in the press and by all and sundry, as a rabble with no heart, no culture, no desire etc etc

Additionally you are being ridiculed as looking like a bunch of distracted hill-billies running a beard competition (fairly or unfairly)

I know what i'd do. That beard would be off in milli seconds

perceptions do count, especially in a highly publicised professional sport like AFL

if you want to "talk the talk" you'd better be prepared to "walk the walk" (or cop it)

• Like 1

Wise words from Bill Bowmen An American track & field legend - "Then, let's all agree. Nobody on the team will have hair longer than his di@k... Shave those beards off!! In my opinion it's all about the look for a select few of the boys!

Best thread ever. Not just for the great Brian wilsonesque fan participation but for the stupid replies.

Comparing the rigours of afl footy to our serving in Iraq. Ha!

Why doesn't usain bolt have a beard? He runs. Air resistance buddy. In a sport where everyone shaves down and cathy wore a bodysuit. Ha!

If you're dad doesn't have a beard you've got two mums

It's game started well before the season started, it s a bit of fun.

If you think his is the reason that we are losing, then what about all the players who don't have a beard? Are they just sheep? Or are they so engrossed with this competition that they can't even concentrate on eating their coco pops.

Anyone seen "The Dirty DOzen"

A rag-tag bunch of criminals and maniacs on death row are offered a chance at redemption on a certain death mission behind enemy lines.

Anyway they all refuse to shave during basic training and it helps build morale.

If it was my beard I would keep it and play better and tell Luke Darcy ,Neil Mitchell and DC to go shave their asses.

I want the whole team bearded.

it never hurt Bruce Doull ,Mick Tuck or Caro Wilson with their careers.

• Like 1

Cam you imagine if Ussain Bolt had a long beard? Or Roger Federer?

I reckon it would make you feel hot, and hinder athletic performance,

Not to mention make the Gillette Ad a little crap.

What a joke...... Shaving their beards isn't going to fix the problems....

i like the idea of the president, the board and the coach growing one.... Talk about united...... In beards we unite..... C'mon people show your support and grow a beard!

Edited by tatu
  • Like 1

How about a Demonland beard comp?

We'll meet in September with the measuring tape.

If Watts shaves we'll microwave our membership cards.

• Like 1

How about a Demonland beard comp?

We'll meet in September with the measuring tape.

If Watts shaves we'll microwave our membership cards.

only if you first shave yours off

you'd have too much of a head start (or should that be beard start)

btw what's wrong with just a good old pizzing competition

OK,

we all start clean.

But due to my religion I must keep some stubble.

Hehehehe.... That's it I'm not shaving until we win a game of footy.....lol.....c'mon.... Show your support and grow a beard.... If you can't grow one, then make someone grow one for you......

I'm fine with the beards and would happily grow one if my boss wasn't going to shoot my ass. However, where i draw the line is the contest to grow the longest.

As the Ox said (i think) on SEN today ....if they're going to play games make it footy related....eg., they should start up a competition to see who can get the most bloody tackles, kicks and marks!

I'm fine with the beards and would happily grow one if my boss wasn't going to shoot my ass. However, where i draw the line is the contest to grow the longest.

As the Ox said (i think) on SEN today ....if they're going to play games make it footy related....eg., they should start up a competition to see who can get the most bloody tackles, kicks and marks!

I'd add sheppards and blocks to that comp.... I can't remember the last time I thought...... WOW that was a good Shepard.... Or WOW that was a good block.... Team work is non existence in our club.... We have the skill.... We really need our players to release some pressure from the ball carrier, by blocking and shepparding...
  • Like 2

Shaving beards is rubbish. Supporters should turn up when we play the Eagles with Fake beards to show the players we do support them (even if some of them with beards may not be playing). It may actually also inject a little humor into the event.

• Like 2

Gillies is losing the beard comp. Badly. Unless the comp is to grow the worst beard. Then he's killing it.

I couldn't give a stuff about the beards to be honest. I especially don't buy into all this tosh about them suddenly being symbolic of something, just because we're losing.