Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

How and why did you become a Melbourne supporter?

Webber

Bloody technology!!!!

Before the meltdown, I'd just asked people to give their stories as to how they came to be MFC supporters, and it was great reading to those of you who had already posted. Parents, friends, grandparents, location, rebellion all having been reasons.

Keep putting your stories up, and any other anecdotes of supporting passion. It's both fascinating AND good therapy, and a distraction from the frustration of Sunday's stinking debacle.

So keep them coming!

• Like 1

My Dad was a Melbourne supporter during the very dark days of the 70's and 80's (but actually fell in love with us in the early 60's because we would always win. Imagine that!). I was 9 in 1987. My favorite player was RIcky Jackson because he was fast and kicked goals but dad convinced me that I should really keep an eye on a young bloke called Brett Lovett. So Brett became my idol for the next decade (and still is actually).

We went to all the finals in 87. I still remember all the old time Melbourne supporters going ballistic when we smacked the Roos and Swans. There was finally something to be happy about. The Prelim was one of the darkest days of my young life. Eishold should never have missed. We were on the half back line only about 15 rows from the ground when Jim ran across the mark. Buckenara was a notoriously good shot for goal and we knew it was over.

It seemed like a horrible day for the club but in reality it's what really gave the club it's greatest hero of the last 25 years. Jim turned that shame and disappointment into a fire that burnt in everything he did. It was an honor to watch him play the rest of his career the way he did. It shows that from the darkest hour something great can come if people are really willing to do the hard work.

My grandfather played some reserves footy for the bombers back in the day so my whole family are bombers. I was as a kid but I hated the bombers arrogance from the coach and the supporters. I was about 7 when I saw a bloke from sunbury (my neck of the woods) they called the ox at the G against essendon. He busted his butt all day and was so talented I was in awe of him. When I left the G I took off my bombers gear and became a demon. As a kid even though we haven't seen a flag I'm happy to have seen the ox,farmer,neitz,yze,robbo,stynes and others play. They made me proud to be a demon.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell
  • Like 2

I'm a demon mainly because my whole family is. i consider myself the most committed to the dees out of my family. My dad was also a pretty good influence, but now he has grown fed up with them and barracks for the cats now! i would've prefered him go for the bombers, i hate the cats soooo much! (don't know why)

Dad and his father before him ... I never had a choice but don't regret it at all.

I do feel pretty sorry for the old man though - he was 2 in 1964 so hasn't really seen any success.

I have two Irish parents and growing up Jimmy Stynes was a hero to me and the old man- a Gaelic footballer from home who'd come over as a minor, had a crack at the footy and became a legend of the game and the irish community in Aus.

My uncle bought me a Demons jumper the day I was born and he would take me to games as a little kid. Dad was unimpressed as he supports the Saints but he was never into footy that much and my mum, who is a Demons supporter was more than supportive of my uncles efforts.

I've learned to accept this difficult hand life has dealt me nowadays.

My Dad took me in 1959 to my first game.

From memory ( fading fast ) it was QB

It was not hard to be a dees supporter in 1959.

A bit like taking up with Collingwood, Hawthorn or Geelong today.

I thought the dynasty would go on forever but alas it came to an end 6 years later.

But still I have the memories of going with my father until he died in early 90's

He used to say to me towards the end I think we have had our glory son.

I have had lots of fun being a Dees supporter but the last 6 years have not produced many laughs.

Perhaps I will live long enough to see good times again.

My Grandmother and my Mum were demons....We would go to every game during the season (Geelong included)..We would stand behind the goals at the Punt Rd end and my sisters and I would wave our floggers which we had made the night before.....Memberships got you in to every game in those days.....Great days.....We would rush home to watch the TV replays.....Good wins....Bad loses.....It didn't matter....Footy was God....

I was born into being a Melbourne supporter and my earliest memory is the game we beat the Swans in 01 at the G when Farmer did his hammy. After the game everyone got to run onto the ground, and I was the last one off, trying to emulate Neitz earlier in the day and put a few through from the huge distance that was the edge of the goal square at the City End. I was 5 and a half at the time. My first ever game, which I have no recollection of, Dad took me to sit with the cheersquad. I was scared at first, I cried in fact, but eventually I got into it. I'm into my 12th consecutive year as a member now and I have loved every moment of following this great club, despite the rubbish I have had to put up with since 06 at school. I'm sure of it that our time will come and hopefully in the future it can be my son that emulates Jesse Hogan from the goalsquare at the G after a Dees win.

• Like 1

I started following after the 1956 GF (I was 4 at the time) like most kids I wanted to support a winner, but unlike most kids (a fickle bunch) I have been a loyal supporter ever since... neither parent was an AFL follower - my dad was from Sydney and a St George supporter (ended up sort of following Essendon) and my mum ended up following St Kilda purely because I had won some player's autograph during a clinic at my school and gave it to her as I didn't want it tainting my collection of Dees items.

Edited by hardtack

I became a Demon Supporter because my Dad was a Demon and he put a demon jumper on me when I was two years old. I probably knew no other team as I grew up in Tassie. I sometimes "curse" him for having done that, but now 64 years later I can say I remember the great sides of the fifties and early sixties. I am still proud to have stuck by them this long but admit my loyalties have sometimes been stretched but never have I withdrawn my support, as I DO believe in loyalty under all adversities, and boy have we been through plenty of those. I do beleve our players' attitudes need to drastically alter NOW!!! or we may lose too many mebers and as a consequence our great identity in the AFL. WE may one day be forced to megre God forbid that day

I have told my story before

From a time when football was simple

Dad a St Kilda supporter (he grew up next to E "the Tank" Guy) took me to the junction oval to watch a game Melb V Saints and I would become a saint like him.

Howling gale Morrow taps to Baldock who pushes it to Stewart who pushes it to Cooper who pushes it through for a point.

Tassie Bob drop kick sails over the pack assembled at CHF Dixon ponces and dlivers to Big Bob who slots a goal.

Wow say I.Lucky says the old man, have some peanuts ( from the guy who carried the sack of bags around the ground at 3 pence a bag)

This went on for about 4 points and goals I became addicted to peanuts in the shell Lucky he visited every game in the league as I grew up (was he the first cloning experiment) and much to dads disgust I became a demon supporter>

I dont think he cares that much as neither of us has had great success

But it is still the team I love and will be whatever happens. I just hope the players and coaches are readingsome of this site and are hurting as much as we are.

Go Dees

• Like 3

Same as most the old man who was brain washed by his old man before him. The funny thing with out family though was my Grandad followed Barassi to Car$#&n. The old bastard had the best of both worlds i guess, the Dees in the hey day and the Blues success later and not having to go through our slump but stuff him he was a turn coat! My dad never let him forget it either!

PS there are pics of me in a blues jumper but I stand by the factit was forced on my and I was too young to know any better!

Edited by Cards13
  • Like 1

(Range Rover inspired me to, I had nothing to complain about in my life)........In reality when we moved down here, my lovely lady who previously had shown no interest in watching footy, got the bug when we popped into the end of a game at the G when we were walking past (Hawthorn v Sydney I seem to recall), we decided if we were going to do it properly we had to follow a team.....she picked Melbourne for a myriad of reasons, some of which I still don't understand..........we volunteer because a few years ago was in conversation with a rather nice tall Irishman, asked him if there was anything we could do besides monetary to help the Club....we owe him

Edit old age is making me transpsoe even more...

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

(Range Rover inspired me to, I had nothing to complain about in my life)........In reality when we moved down here, my lovely lady who preivously had shown no interest in watching footy, got the bug when we popped into the end of a game at the G when we were walking past (Hawthorn v Sydney I seem to recall), we decided if we were going to do it properly we had to follow a team.....she picked Melbourne for a myriad of reasons, some of which I still don't understand..........we volunteer because a few years ago was in conversation with a rather nice tall Irishman, asked him if there was anything we could do besides monetary to help the Club....we owe him

And you are still with her!

Only joking Satyriconhome

I think we all do, without JS we could quite easily be the GWdemons right now.

I went just about every week with my dad, uncle and cousin all over Melbourne when they still had most of the suburban grounds in the late 80's. Never really had a choice but wouldn't have mattered if I did I was red and blue through and through an even converted some primary school mates to the dark side which I bet they regret now! My dad said I could support anyone I wanted but if it was anyone other than Melbourne I'd have to sleep outside.

Garry Lyon cemented it for me though from 1988-1990 I wouldn't hear a bad word about him. Darren Bennett was also a favourite but then injuries struck them and a bloke called Allen Jakovich came onto the scene burning brightly but all too quick.

Having them make regular finals and GF during my formative years can't have hurt retaining me as a supporter, my earliest memory of a game was round 1, 1988 when we smashed Richmond. All I remember is leaving walking around the back of the old Southern Stand and Tony Campbell kicking a bag. I recently got a copy of the Channel 7 replay of this game (and many others from that era) and I can't remember a thing from the game other than we smashed the Tiges.

I think I went to games in 1987 as a 5 year old but I can't remember them though I do remember being at the Show on PF day 1987 with my then-Hawks cousin (now Richmond like his old man) and getting regar updates from staff during the day. That was devastating when I heard we lost after everyone told us we'd been winning all day though not as devastating as the following year when I was up at the crack of dawn watching the GF Marathon and U19's GF ready to go and watch the Mighty Demons in my first GF after seeing them the week before at Waverley and going to training during the week only to be told by my old man as he left that he couldn't get a ticket for me! I was shattered but then the game happened and after half time I switched off and went and kicked the footy in the backyard reenacting how I thought the game should have gone with Melbourne winning of course.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

My late father was born in Sydney and his father took him to Melbourne, after my grandmother died when Dad was only 16. My grandfather owned pubs; one in Melbourne and 2 in Ballarat. The one he owned on Melbourne, was the Prince Patrick hotel in Victoria Parade, Collingwood, which is where my dad lived. Living in that area, the friends he made told him he would have to follow an Aussie rules team - my father being a staunch Rabbitohs man from his days in Sydney. More than that, his mates said living in the area he did, he would have to choose between Collingwood, Carlton or Fitzroy. My dad was never one to run with the crowd, so he followed the team named after his adopted city - Melbourne.

After Mum and Dad married, they moved to what was then considered the outer suburb of Ivanhoe. Ivanhoe, Heidelberg, Preston and surrounds were Collingwood strongholds and my 4 older brothers followed the Pies and still do. I am sure you can imagine the crap I cop from them these days. I stuck with dad and followed the Dees. He would take me to all the old suburban grounds and in those days, for a kid, it was often like going to another country. Of course, in the early days, the MFC were peerless and somehow I sensed, even though not fully aware as a child, that I was following a pretty special football club.

In 1964, my dad managed to cadge a couple of final tickets to the GF from his local pub. They were only standing room, but as an 8 year old, the old blokes made sure that the kid was pushed to the front. Not that it mattered really, as I was more interested in collecting the old steel beer cans so I could stand on them. My father was a very conservative man and I never heard him swear before that day or after, but he did let out the magic word in front of me. It was at the time big Ray Gabelich fumbled and stumbled his way along the members side wing to eventually kick a very clumsy goal that put Collingwood in front, deep into the last quarter. The next thing I remember is being flat on my back. In his excitement, dad had jumped in the air and upon landing, knocked me over. Neil "Froggy" Crompton had put the Dees back in front and we won the 1964 flag - our last. Even though I was a young kid, the feeling of euphoria was amazing and to see my dad so ecstatic made me beam. From that point on, I knew I would be a Demon for life.

The other thing I remember about going to the footy with dad, was his quirky sayings. Unlike today's communal shout of "BALLLLLLLL" it was the full cry of "HOLDING THE BLOODY BALL". If that went up in a crowd in relation to a Dees player, dad would retort, "HOLDING YOUR BLOODY GIRL". Names like Hassa Mann, Donny Williams, Brian (Doc) Roet, Wrecker Leahy, Johnny Townsend, Geoff Tunbridge, Barry Vagg and Ray Groom were in my scrapbook.

The worst part about this story????? When my grandfather passed away, my dad was made executor of the Will. The first thing dad did? He sold the bloody pubs..........sheesh!!!!

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 7

My Dad was a Melbourne supporter during the very dark days of the 70's and 80's (but actually fell in love with us in the early 60's because we would always win. Imagine that!). I was 9 in 1987. My favorite player was RIcky Jackson because he was fast and kicked goals but dad convinced me that I should really keep an eye on a young bloke called Brett Lovett. So Brett became my idol for the next decade (and still is actually).

We went to all the finals in 87. I still remember all the old time Melbourne supporters going ballistic when we smacked the Roos and Swans. There was finally something to be happy about. The Prelim was one of the darkest days of my young life. Eishold should never have missed. We were on the half back line only about 15 rows from the ground when Jim ran across the mark. Buckenara was a notoriously good shot for goal and we knew it was over.

It seemed like a horrible day for the club but in reality it's what really gave the club it's greatest hero of the last 25 years. Jim turned that shame and disappointment into a fire that burnt in everything he did. It was an honor to watch him play the rest of his career the way he did. It shows that from the darkest hour something great can come if people are really willing to do the hard work.

Great story hbt. I was 22 when sitting at Waverley watching the same. Who would've known Jimmy would become what he did from that day? Brett Lovett was just great to watch. So balanced, brilliant reader of the play and decision maker. Best midfielder to have lived on the half back flank ever! Those of us born in the sixties were very very excited during the 87 finals, needless to say.
  • Like 1

My grandfather played some reserves footy for the bombers back in the day so my whole family are bombers. I was as a kid but I hated the bombers arrogance from the coach and the supporters. I was about 7 when I saw a bloke from sunbury (my neck of the woods) they called the ox at the G against essendon. He busted his butt all day and was so talented I was in awe of him. When I left the G I took off my bombers gear and became a demon. As a kid even though we haven't seen a flag I'm happy to have seen the ox,farmer,neitz,yze,robbo,stynes and others play. They made me proud to be a demon.

Cowboy, you based your support on a charismatic player and against the arrogant vibe from Essendon. A very personal response, and against family trend. Too good!

• Like 1

I was born in 1969. Didn't start following the AFL until the 77 Grand Final was on TV. My mum went for the Pies, my dad was a shinboner. I didn't like either of them. My junior footy team organised a trip to the G in 1979 to see Melbourne and Carlton play. Everyone at my Primary School followed Carlton, Richmond or Collingwood. Keen to be different, I decided at that game that I'd go for the Demons. Didn't mind the colours and thought there were a couple of pretty decent players - Wells and Flower from memory. 12 months later Wells was at Carlton! Should have realised then what I was getting myself into. Went right through primary and high school with us at or near the bottom, until I hit Year 12 and we had that great run in 1987. My best footy memory to this day is Round 22 1987 ( and thanks to Dee Old Fart have had the chance to relive it a few times since). Loved the Northey era - felt we were a chance every game we played in that time. The Balme period was exciting for a while - mainly due to the great Schwarta, and I still believe if we had a better run with injury in 1995 we would have been a real chance. The Daniher period was probably frustrating more than anything. I think he was a decent coach, and our team was reasonable, but I don't believe we were a good club and I think this is our major issue now. My son was born in 2001, and my daughter in 2002. Both are members, although my daughter has next to no interest. For the first time ever my son told me just before Sundays game that he didn't want to go. I asked him why and he said, " If we lose, I'll get angry and it will spoil Easter. I'm going to do the Easter egg hunt at Nan's instead." Smart boy that one. At the moment he is tracking very similar to me. He's in Year 6 and they've been at the bottom the whole time he's been at school. Let's hope he doesn't have to wait to Year 12 to see them in the finals!!

• Like 1