Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Moloney (note spelling) - most public humiliation was demotion from Vice Captaincy after being drunk in a public place - NOT under Neeld's watch

Brad Green's greatest public humiliation was being played as a sub - NOT under Neeld's watch

Jack Watts was sent back to Casey under Bailey and Neeld for underperforming. His greatest public humiliation was being played in the Queen's Birthday game - NOT under Neeld's watch.

Martin and Rivers - can't recall either being publicly humiliated by any coach... but of course, if you care to elaborate, as I said previously, I'm all eyes.

His recruitment efforts are yet to be proven poor... Hogan will be a plus, Toumpas will be a plus, M Jones is already a plus, Barry we don't know enough about yet, Kent has shown a bit already, Viney is going to be very good, Dawes will be a worthwhile get, Clark has been our best get for a long time, Byrnes and Roden were brought in for leadership (not necessarily purely onfield) and cost us next to nothing - who else do you suggest we could have got in their place?

Jack Hannath would have been handy to replace Spencer who was brushed aside by the Suns.

Hardtack you have selective memory

Moloney was put back in leadership group then dumped back out by Neeld

Brad Green was dumped as captain and not deemed worthy enopugh to be in leadership group yet was chosen as Australian captain in the Ireland versus Australia series

Jack Watts was dragged against Essendon

Rivers was dumped from leadership group

Your post was super ordinary

They were not "dumped" from the leadership group... or are you of the opinion that the leadership group should carry over from year to year? Neeld when he came in I believe said something to the effect that he would start with a clean slate and he was true to his word - please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I didn't agree with Rivers being removed from the leadership group, but I had no objection to Green stepping down from the captaincy (it was patently obvious he was at the end of his career and it would be best to blood a new captain) and Moloney being removed from the leadership group; Moloney was not what I would have considered a particularly good leader. And as or the Green captaining the Australian team.... well most were saying that the series is a waste of time and should be abandoned, so I would hardly be putting that up as being significant.

And as for Watts being dragged... do you believe poor play should be rewarded... or are you against any player being dragged and for the sub system being done away with?

You may consider it an ordinary post (I have no problem with that at all)... I just consider it to be my opinion.

I am also not a big fan of the two captains system we have and believe that Jones should be sole captain with either Garland, Clark or Grimes as deputy.

Edited by hardtack

why aren't 22 players putting in and giving max effort, it must and has to go back to the coach and an inability to motivate at least, the ceo needs to interview each player one by one and get to the bottom of this malaise

• Like 5

Total hogwash.

As I said: suggesting Neeld is not responsible is defending the indefensible. Are you watching the games?

I have said from the beginning that Neeld should be given the opportunity to complete his brief... he is at the halfway mark now and at the end of this season will no doubt be addressing the missing pieces in the midfield and defence. If we kick off 2014 with more diabolical losses, then yes, by all means consider him gone.

I do watch the games (obviously) and at the moment I see a team that simply isn't trying, is failing to offer each other support and that is playing for nobody (not just the coach as posters like yourself like to imagine). If these players had any pride in their own ability as footballers, they would be doing a lot more. If they cared about their supporters, they would be doing a hell of a lot more. If they are under-performimg just to spite the coach, then they should be ashamed of themselves. They are NOT bigger than the game.

I do not know if Neeld is responsible, as the playing group insist there is no rift... you obviously think differently, but I doubt you know any more than the rest of us; despite you claiming to have the inside word from an unnamed player manager. This is an internet forum and such claims will always be taken with a grain of salt. Listen to Garland, if you cannot detect the sincerity in his words, well...

• Like 1

Just think about it most coaches under the pump say everything starts and ends with them. Neeld says its up to the players to drive the turn around. No [censored] Sherlock but you don't tell the media this , you back in your players no matter the situation. He is heading down the same path as Matthew Knights at my club Essendon. The supporters had enough of the rubbish and Membership was going to drop as well as sponsors leaving. Which means they had no choice and sacked him as nobody was going towards the end. Once you lose the players that's the end for any coach.

Supporters need hope and l am sorry Neeld just doesn't provide it. Get a proven coach and let him choose the people he needs and take the first steps in making the Dees competitive. Then he can build on that because atm it's like watching a horror movie. No matter who you support everybody looks forward to the weekend and your team playing. I am not going to say l know how you feel because l honestly don't.

Peter Jackson isn't going to be the saviour of the club. Yet you should feel confident that he is the right man for the job and won't accept the current rubbish. Best thing Melbourne has done this season is give Schwab the arse.

• Like 5

You know what, a big part of this IS appeasing supporters, because they're leaving in droves. Without supporters, we fold.

Whether it be 5 years or 50, many simply can't justify supporting this team any longer. People need hope and right now there is zero.

At first glance I agree, but ultimately the supporters come back when (if) the team starts winning. My big worry is losing players - if players are going to jump ship because of the coach then that is a massive issue and his position is simply untenable.

• Like 3

You've got no idea on multiple levels.

I get the feeling your sense of humour has gone west... it's patently obvious (even to blind freddy and his dog) that jazza was having a laugh.

• Like 1

seems even humour has abandoned all of us

missus wont milk cows

dog barks at me

and NOW gonza doesnt even like me

aaaarrrrgggghhh

maybe i should take up supporting a football team

that should make me feel better

• Like 2

seems even humour has abandoned all of us

missus wont milk cows

dog barks at me

and NOW gonza doesnt even like me

aaaarrrrgggghhh

maybe i should take up supporting a football team

that should make me feel better

Anyone but the Demons. I hear they're not very good.

This is out and out rubbish. Since Neeld became coach in September 2011, half our list has been turned over. Only half our list even played under Bailey. These are Neelds hand picked troops. We are not even half the team we were in 2011.

Either: The recruiting has been terrible - this is Neelds responsibility.

Or: The players are alright but the coach can't get them to believe in him, other players, the club or themselves - this is also Neelds responsibility.

Which ever way you look at it responsibility lies with the head coach Neeld.

Reality is Neeld has recruited poorly, and coached poorly. He has divided the playing group and his people management skills are beyond appalling. He has shattered self belief, he has destroyed self confidence, he has publically humiliated players (Watts, Green, Maloney, Martin, Rivers) on numerous occasions. He has traded players we should have kept for worse, older players. He has put up the two most inexperienced captains in the history of the sport in the most difficult of times. Do I need to go on? This bloke is a disaster, suggesting Neeld is not responsible is defending the indefensible.

You make a very interesting point. MN has been in charge for 2 drafts. He turned over 15 or so ?? this year, on top of last year's recruits who included Tynan & Taggart who can be added to the list of those who have contributed nothing.

MN has had significant impact on the list as it stands currently. He can't truly blame it all of what has come before. We have regressed on his wathch, and I didn't think that was possible.

• Like 1

You make a very interesting point. MN has been in charge for 2 drafts. He turned over 15 or so ?? this year, on top of last year's recruits who included Tynan & Taggart who can be added to the list of those who have contributed nothing.

MN has had significant impact on the list as it stands currently. He can't truly blame it all of what has come before. We have regressed on his wathch, and I didn't think that was possible.

I agree, but suspect it's not all of his own doing. There is a lot of weeding to be done in the FD and the Board, in terms of how it has interacted with the FD. At such times, I would have thought the Director of Football would have had something to say.

Right about Sheahan, apart from that MN's work doesn't look that bad (see below)

National Draft:

National 2 36 Rory Taggert Melbourne 0 National 3 52 Josh Tynan Melbourne 2 National 3 54 James Sellar Melbourne 20 Rookie 1 6 Jai Sheahan 0 Rookie 2 24 Thomas Couch Melbourne 3 Rookie 3 42 James Magner Melbourne 17 Rookie 4 59 Leigh Williams 0

Delisted:

Maric, Campbell, Johnston, McNamara, Wonaemirri, Newton

Traded Out:

Warnock

Traded In:

Clark

National Draft:

Mini 1 2 Jesse Hogan Melbourne 0 National 1 4 Jimmy Toumpas Melbourne 3 National 2 26 Father/Son Jack Viney Melbourne 6 National 3 48 Dean Kent Melbourne 2 National 3 52 Matt Jones Melbourne 7 National 4 68 Dean Terlich Melbourne 6 National 4 71 Rookie Promotion Daniel Nicholson Melbourne 4 National 4 72 Rookie Promotion Michael Evans Melbourne 5 Rookie 1 3 Nathan Stark Melbourne 0 Rookie 2 19 Mitchell Clisby Melbourne 0

Delisted:

Petterd, Bate, Nennell, Cook, Sheahan, Williams, Lawrence

Free Agency:

Moloney, Rivers

Traded Out:

Morton, Gysberts, Martin

Traded In:

Barry (mini-draft), Dawes, Rodan, Pedersen

Are you serious?

On paper it looks poor, in performance it looks diabolical.

Performance has been terrible - but what did you expect?

To fix our list some have to go and thanks the the beautiful nature of drafts/trades - if you have to drop alot, you'll get stuck with the current list we have - crap.

But rebuilding is a long process, no one said this would be quick!

Gains for 2011 was Sellar, Magner and Clark

Gains for 2012 was Viney, Jones, Terlich, Evans, Dawes and Byrnes

Gains for 2013 was Hogan, Barry and Toumpas

We have got rid of the dead weight and for once got some good players coming in next year!

I had wrote off this season at the start. I also dont expect us to win another game for the rest of the season.

I dont want quick fixes and a few wins, I want this culture rebuilt and the list overhauled. Then I want the wins I think we should get!

Edited by PJ_12345
  • Like 2

I have to admit I find it amusing that you can determine the gravity of the weekend's loss by whether Robbo or Burgan conduct the interview on "The Coach's Office". If Burgs is there, we've just been embarrassed. If Robbo is there, it was just your standard belting.

Warning that Neeld supporters (the ones left) won't like what I'm about to say, but I can't dance around the fact that I do not like Neeld's attitude one bit, and t is not difficult to see how he could be a divisive figure.

In the interview he makes particular effort to mention the players that have joined the club this year as being ones that are standing up - Matt Jones, Terlich, Viney, Dawes (I'm not sure what he did on the weekend that warranted special mention)..and that they "need a bit of help". To me, he still is carrying this mindset of the disparity between the before and after his arrival at the club, and is now trying to paint a picture that it is only the players he has introduced that are contributing. Rarely do the improved efforts of Frawley, Sylvia, Garland etc get a mention, or certainly not to the same degree as Dean Terlich.

Not only does it reek of a desperate man trying to save his own hide, but it is this mindset that has been his ultimate undoing and has sent the club into a dramatic tailspin. From the moment he arrived there appears to have been an almost stubborn refusal to acknowledge anything to build upon in the club environment, and this trend continues.

As an aside, his body language is that of a shattered man. Him staying here is doing neither him nor the club any favours. I hope Jackson sees this sooner rather than later.

• Like 7

I have to admit I find it amusing that you can determine the gravity of the weekend's loss by whether Robbo or Burgan conduct the interview on "The Coach's Office". If Burgs is there, we've just been embarrassed. If Robbo is there, it was just your standard belting.

Warning that Neeld supporters (the ones left) won't like what I'm about to say, but I can't dance around the fact that I do not like Neeld's attitude one bit, and t is not difficult to see how he could be a divisive figure.

In the interview he makes particular effort to mention the players that have joined the club this year as being ones that are standing up - Matt Jones, Terlich, Viney, Dawes (I'm not sure what he did on the weekend that warranted special mention)..and that they "need a bit of help". To me, he still is carrying this mindset of the disparity between the before and after his arrival at the club, and is now trying to paint a picture that it is only the players he has introduced that are contributing. Rarely do the improved efforts of Frawley, Sylvia, Garland etc get a mention, or certainly not to the same degree as Dean Terlich.

Not only does it reek of a desperate man trying to save his own hide, but it is this mindset that has been his ultimate undoing and has sent the club into a dramatic tailspin. From the moment he arrived there appears to have been an almost stubborn refusal to acknowledge anything to build upon in the club environment, and this trend continues.

As an aside, his body language is that of a shattered man. Him staying here is doing neither him nor the club any favours. I hope Jackson sees this sooner rather than later.

This weeks the coaches office came across to me like he was thinking this would possibly be his last one, he seems to be resigned to the fact it's more of a case of when rather than if, and if that's indeed the case he needs to be either backed or sacked ASAP

Warning that Neeld supporters (the ones left) won't like what I'm about to say

You do neither yourself nor your arguments credit by taking this reductionist, either/or stance. There is a huge range of shades and colours between black and white.

Having a significant impact on the list, and that list having a significant impact on the field are not the same.

Unless you're suggesting that the half a dozen kids, plus a few state-leaguers that have joined of late should already be out there clocking up Brownlow votes.

What did McCartney say ... it takes 5 years.

You do neither yourself nor your arguments credit by taking this reductionist, either/or stance. There is a huge range of shades and colours between black and white.

I have acknowledged that very thing several times on this forum. Does not take away from the fact that there are those who still support Neeld, such as yourself, who tend to get on the front foot whenever he is criticised, hence the disclaimer.

Having a significant impact on the list, and that list having a significant impact on the field are not the same.

Unless you're suggesting that the half a dozen kids, plus a few state-leaguers that have joined of late should already be out there clocking up Brownlow votes.

What did McCartney say ... it takes 5 years.

I wouldn't have said McCartney is safe in his job either, taking five years is fine but you need to show the path you are on, you need to sell the brand to the supporters, players and board and on the most part it seems the players and supporters don't back in what they're seeing yet, Neeld may be a good coach, but if we perform like we did last week he is going to be in the line of fire.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have said McCartney is safe in his job either, taking five years is fine but you need to show the path you are on, you need to sell the brand to the supporters, players and board and on the most part it seems the players and supporters don't back in what they're seeing yet, Neeld may be a good coach, but if we perform like we did last week he is going to be in the line of fire.

Precisely Dfan. We are copping the flack because we botched a wonderful series of opportunities. However, in reality and being as objective as I can be, I would rather be in our position than the Doggies. I think their situation is far more grave and they are more prime than we are for a merger or relocation. The difference right now is, the football world accepts that their current list is not up to standard, but reckon they at least have a red hot go.

The perception of us is that we are as soft as butter and have only promoted the elitist image, which has come back to bite us on the bum. Everyone loves an underdog, but will not put up with an under performing dog of a team. That is how we are perceived by the greater football world at present, for obvious reasons.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

I agree, but suspect it's not all of his own doing. There is a lot of weeding to be done in the FD and the Board, in terms of how it has interacted with the FD. At such times, I would have thought the Director of Football would have had something to say.

Iva, Neelds fingerprints are all over this list including those he decided to keep and who went.