Rodan and Byrnes - Why?

Dr. Mubutu

I've alluded to this in other threads, but I feel that it needs its own topic.

Melbourne have consistently stated over the off-season that these two players were specifically brought in to address the dearth of experience and leadership across our playing list.

However, when efforts and cool heads were required yesterday, very few stood up. Namely, the Jacks Viney and Grimes.

If these two blokes are in the team next week, I will chuck a massive tanty, as immature as it may be.

Melbourne have consistently stated over the off-season that these two players were specifically brought in to address the dearth of experience and leadership across our playing list.

However, when efforts and cool heads were required yesterday, very few stood up. Namely, the Jacks Viney and Grimes.

If these two blokes are in the team next week, I will chuck a massive tanty, as immature as it may be.

Both these guys were delisted by their clubs because they were finished, so why we picked them up is beyond me and why we expected a better result from them surprises me even more.

Rodan no longer has the speed and ability to break lines and Byrnes just no longer.......

No wonder the rest of the football World laughs at us, it's like the old Monty Python; bring out your dead.

Byrnes showed me enough yesterday that he can be a valuable player for us. It was unfortunately a little bit too brief. Not many players played 4 quarters yesterday though. I'm prepared to give him a go.

Rodan has to use the players around him but again most players ended up playing like individuals yesterday. We need him to get that balance right between being a cog and doing the mercurial type plays. I can't be easy with our young list but the players have to trust each other.

It's impossible to do anything in our forward line. Byrnes was ok.

Rodan, well who else should we have in the team, Magner or Evans aren't stars. I've heard positives about Rodans off field work

Burns was alright and Rodan gave us a couple of clearances, but as far as leadership goes they were woefully inept. However we do not see what they give us at training, and I suspect this is the leadership that Neeld was looking for. Gameday leadership is very rare, and a couple of delisted hacks are never going to be aces in that regard.

You don't get points at training.

Ah that's right. When we don't have an opponent we look like world beaters.

How many of our leaders are chosen for how well they train? We need leaders on game day when it actually counts.

• Like 1

Yeah we let go of a baist & fairest Moloney & Clubman Rivers! WTF

I know they wr free agents....but Neeld didnt want them!

Moloney had his issues but rather him than Rhodan

Rivers I cant understand.....all early picks from 03 draft gone Mclean,Rivers & Sylvia will follow

These guys wr meant to be our leaders by know!

Edited by dees64
  • Like 1

I remember mitch Clarks frst game in red and blue.... The rest is history

I'll give these two a few more games to prove their worth as role players

Edited by DemonWA
  • Like 3

You don't get points at training.

Ah that's right. When we don't have an opponent we look like world beaters.

How many of our leaders are chosen for how well they train? We need leaders on game day when it actually counts.

I'd rather have a couple of kids with a bit of talent, than a couple of past it players who can help us train, and maybe play half a quarter here and there on game day.

Has any other club recruited so poorly; has any other club managed to stuff up 3 number one selections before?

• Like 1

We prematurely retire McDonald and recruit delisted players from other clubs.

Can someone explain this strategy.

This is a perfect example of why chopping and changing coaching regimes is a bad bad idea. You end up with a mish mash of players recruited along wildly divergent strategic lines of thought.

Not overly fussed with Rodan and Byrnes coming in.....................Byrnes a free agent, Rodan for pick 80 something.

Still think more could have been done to keep Moloney..........we cry out for midfield grunt, and not sure letting him walk was a great move.

• Like 1

Too soon to judge. I do know that Rodan was brought to the club specifically for his voice and attitude at training as he is apparently a very fun and spirited guy. I know Neeld mentioned this at the time of his recruitment and in passing said that our guys are too quiet and go into their shells.

Byrnes will be useful if the ball delivery to Clark and Dawes improves. If Dawes starts presenting then Byrnes will do well under him.

Let's not single out players after one game for the club. I know it's frustrating but we at least owe these guys a few weeks.

• Like 1

Why because Melbourne has been losing for so long, even our most experienced players such as Jones and Frawley haven't been in a winning culture - perhaps neeld perceived that they did not know or have confidence to build a winning culture. As for Byrnes and Roddans future, I'd wait a few games before we look silly like everyone who criticised Mitch Clarke after his first game.

This is the great fallacy of the 'finished players that played awfully.

It just lets those that are the real problem off the hook.

Byrnes was solid for a FP with 14 touches and a good goal. Rodan was a spark in the first half.

They are simply role players.

Jones gets no help. Our midfield is timid, boring, and spiritless with the footy.

Watts, Dunn, Garland, Nicholson, and Frawley were just as bad as Gillies or worse.

Up forward Pedersen was poor at times, Tapscott was worse, Sellar was lost, and Howe goes missing for large chunks.

Toumpas was not impressive but is never going to be with no help from his more experienced teammates.

Nicholson, Tapscott, Sellar, Toumpas, Watts, Dunn, Gillies, and Pedersen, are all under the gun for next week before I look at Rodan and Byrnes.

• Like 4

This is the great fallacy of the 'finished players that played awfully.

It just lets those that are the real problem off the hook.

Byrnes was solid for a FP with 14 touches and a good goal. Rodan was a spark in the first half.

They are simply role players.

Jones gets no help. Our midfield is timid, boring, and spiritless with the footy.

Watts, Dunn, Garland, Nicholson, and Frawley were just as bad as Gillies or worse.

Up forward Pedersen was poor at times, Tapscott was worse, Sellar was lost, and Howe goes missing for large chunks.

Toumpas was not impressive but is never going to be with no help from his more experienced teammates.

Nicholson, Tapscott, Sellar, Toumpas, Watts, Dunn, Gillies, and Pedersen, are all under the gun for next week before I look at Rodan and Byrnes.

They may be role players,but they are both short term and it will only benefit the club if they perform really well and set an example for the younger players. If we want mediocrity we already have enough of that and plenty of young kids can play as poorly as they did with the possibility that they may turn out ok.

What benefit did they provide on the weekend and what example did they set?

Not overly fussed with Rodan and Byrnes coming in.....................Byrnes a free agent, Rodan for pick 80 something.

Still think more could have been done to keep Moloney..........we cry out for midfield grunt, and not sure letting him walk was a great move.

I agree with this. The major concern for me however has always been Rivers out, Gillies in.

And Sunday's performance did nothing to change that.

They were both good players in their time, but we should not have gone after them - end of story.

We were so busy clogging up our list that we did not leave a single spot in the pre-season draft to draft Jack Hannath who trained with us and was targetted to fill a need. How arragant/naive to think that other teams would sit back and wait for us to grab him as a rookie.