PRACTICE MATCH: CASEY SCORPIONS v BOX HILL

Whispering_Jack

Efficiency?

I reckon that's more important.

We don't want Moloney stats.

Moloney kicked the first goal for Brisbane today on the run and was probably amongst their best players! Considering the fact that he was B&F in 2011 I don't know why everybody dismisses him on the basis of 2012?

Moloney kicked the first goal for Brisbane today on the run and was probably amongst their best players! Considering the fact that he was B&F in 2011 I don't know why everybody dismisses him on the basis of 2012?

What was his efficiency??

Why wouldn't you dismiss him? Shocking attitude and out the door before the season started.

Apologies for my ignorance, I tend to avoid footy until the real stuff starts but is there a reason why Tom McDonald isn't in the firsts? I thought he was great last year and was looking for him to cement a spot down back.

Feel free to enlighten me.

Go Dees!!!!

Because Moloney stamped is own ticket in 2012 by playing like he wanted to be somewhere else. As soon as he was dropped from the leadership group, he should have used it as motivation to prove them wrong and showed his perceived leadership. Instead he was a anchor around the neck of a team already struggling. I was happy to see him go because I want players who want to play for the Demons !

• Like 3

Apologies for my ignorance, I tend to avoid footy until the real stuff starts but is there a reason why Tom McDonald isn't in the firsts? I thought he was great last year and was looking for him to cement a spot down back.

Feel free to enlighten me.

Go Dees!!!!

Coming back from an ankle injury 'whitito'. I think he had a run in the first NAB cup round robin game and has been missing since.

Trenners n gawn?

Jack Trengove had a quiet day but seemed to be gaining confidence and touch the further the game went.

Max started tentatively at his first ruck contest but was soon into it although a little rusty. Given that it was his first outing since late 2011 and he virtually battled single handedly in the ruck (he changed with Cranbourne recruit Michael Boland in the first half but that player was "subbed" off at the main break), it looked a positive start for him. The Hawks had a tall side and didn't make things easy for Max.

• Like 1

Just because his fit dosnt mean he should be guaranteed a spot in the firsts. He needs to perform to.

Blind faith has never got us anywhere.

a bit hard to play well, when you've missed 3 months of preseason. he'll take some time to get that back.

But he has to be careful he doesn't injure himself trying to get fit @ Casey.

I reckon it'll take him 6 weeks to get to top fitness. If he goes into AFL without a strong base, he could get smashed & lose all his confidence.

Happy for him to spend at least 3 weeks @ Casey.

????????????

2 different issues. Firstly with terlich best on in particular Nicholson I'd ok notice the small defender spot is up for grabs. The second issue is related to the comments made about the coach earlier muttering about the game plan

From the updates throughout the game, it seems Terlich stood up well today. If it were 4 quarter effort from him, then surely that would warrant a round 2 call up.

The "invisible man" Davis ,on those numbers, seems to have had plenty of it again. So still a fan.

a bit hard to play well, when you've missed 3 months of preseason. he'll take some time to get that back.

But he has to be careful he doesn't injure himself trying to get fit @ Casey.

I reckon it'll take him 6 weeks to get to top fitness. If he goes into AFL without a strong base, he could get smashed & lose all his confidence.

Happy for him to spend at least 3 weeks @ Casey.

Didn't see anyone raving about Hodge's game yet he played in the same game....

• Like 1

Didn't see anyone raving about Hodge's game yet he played in the same game....

You make a good point Cards. Hodge did a few nice things but overall wasn't involved a lot. It doesn't concern me that Trengove had a quiet day but it does concern me that he seems to have lost his pace. Twice yesterday he was convincingly beaten in a foot race for the ball then couldn't run his opponent down. I'm happy to put it down as a lack of match fitness at this stage but it's something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Anyway I'm off to the G! Cmon Dees!

Did you watch the game?

No, only the highlights including his goal.

Nicho, Tapscott and co would want to step up today.

Terlich straight in next week.

Why don't we wait and see how everybody plays today before second-guessing who might give way for Terlich?

EXPERIMENT by KC from Casey

The final practice match before the start of the season proper was a time for experimentation as the Scorpions took on the Hawks at Casey Fields. As was obvious from results of other games across the country in both AFL and VFL, the results of these games can be misleading and mean little in terms of the real season ahead.

Casey fielded a list of 27 players but used a substitute system and changed four of its players at half time while a few of the Demon listed players were still finding their feet after injury interrupted pre seasons. The result was a team that lacked height around the ground, particularly in the forward line

where Box Hill's height and marking power combined with Casey's shocking inaccuracy in front of goal conspired to give the visitors an easy victory in the end.

The game started in conditions that were perfect for football with a light breeze and the cloud cover keeping things cool. Casey dominated proceedings for most of the opening term with James Magner and Tom Couch racking up the possessions on the ball but, for all their troubles, they managed a solitary goal and held a mere 10 point lead at quarter time.

For the second week in a row, it took little time for the visiting side to turn things around. Two goals in a minute, one from a dubious free kick, saw Box Hill in front. Another free and fifty metre penalty saw them move to an 8 point lead before Casey regrouped and fought back to level the score but a couple of late goals gave the Hawks a comfortable 14 point buffer at half time.

The breeze had picked up during the afternoon and Casey dominated the third term kicking to the southern end but, as with the opening stanza, the Scorpions were woefully inaccurate in front of goal and, as often happens, the Hawks goaled late in the term against the run of play in one of their rare forays forward.

With Max Gawn off for the day during the latter stages of the final quarter and Cranbourne ruck recruit Michael Boland "subbed" off at the main break, the bigger, stronger Box Hill rucks and key position players took complete control of the game and romped home by 31 points.

Dean Terlich and Tom McDonald were the day's two most prominent Demon players to put their hands up for AFL selection while 18 year old Ben Kearns from the Gippsland Power via Churchill, in his first senior game was dangerous around the goals and looks to be a player of the future.

Gawn.jpg

Casey Scorpions 1.5.11 2.8.20 3.16.34 4.17.41

Box Hill Hawks 0.1.1 5.4.34 6.6.42 10.12.72

Stats: Magner 36,Terlich 33, Couch 29, Davis 27, Clisby 23, Evans 22, J.Tynan 21, Barry 18.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Dom Barry - worked hard for 18 disposals and showed some innate natural skills. Needs to build his body to be right for AFL football.

Mitch Clisby - good run out of defence and clean with his disposal.

Thomas Couch - got a lot of the football but not always effective.

Troy Davis - some great defensive efforts and is improving his disposal and decision making.

Michael Evans - worked hard in bursts but we need to seem him use his pace and skills a lot more.

Max Gawn - had about 2½ quarters before he came off. Started tentatively at his first ruck contest but was soon into it although a little trusty. Given that it was his first outing since late 2011 and he had little assistance in the ruck it was a positive start for him.

Neville Jetta - showed great determination in defence and would be handy with the Demons.

Dean Kent - a solid game from the youngster who will play in the AFL this season.

James Magner - picked up 36 possessions in a quality game in the midfield.

Tom McDonald - showed that he's ready to return to the AFL after that ankle injury. Good run out of defence.

James Strauss - a quiet day but very effective with his disposal.

Rory Taggert - tried up forward early with limited effect. Better when he played downfield.

Dean Terlich - played a strong game as an attacking defender. Got a lot of the football and moved it well. Really put his hand up for selection against Essendon next week.

Jack Trengove - a quiet day but seemed to be gaining confidence and touch the further the game went.

Josh Tynan - worked hard in defence and looks to be an improver on last year.

• Like 2

No, only the highlights including his goal.

I'm assuming the highlights did not show his numerous long bombs to no one. He was actually good by hand yesterday but poor by foot and still does not work defensively. I don't hate Beamer but I saw nothing yesterday that made me think he will be missed.

• Like 1

The "invisible man" Davis ,on those numbers, seems to have had plenty of it again. So still a fan.

With Davis, it isn't how much he gets the ball, it is what he does with it. Not the best decision maker or executioner going around. Wasn't at the game yesterday, so don't know how he performed in these two areas.

With Davis, it isn't how much he gets the ball, it is what he does with it. Not the best decision maker or executioner going around. Wasn't at the game yesterday, so don't know how he performed in these two areas.

I wasn't at the game either, I simply make the point that I think he has had three practice games and put his hand up three times. ( What more can he do?) I am aware by the way that some parts of his game may need development -( whose don't in our side) but he gets plenty of the footy ( Watts had two kicks today), he works hard, he is a reasonable size, he has leg speed and grunt, yet I call him the "invisible man" as he seems to get overlooked for others ( like Dunne, Garland, Joel Mac and Watts ) for backline positions.( Viney turned the ball over a couple of times today but none of us would criticize that as we appreciated his endeavour and heart.)

No drama though, its just a personal view, I notice that in terms of proposed changes for next week no one else sees as I do and that's fine, but IMO if the blokes in the side aren't doing it for us and we have others who are putting their hand up, then I believe its incumbent on the selectors to bring about change and see what happens, not continue with more of the same old crap and spin.

I would hate to see us lose promising people to other clubs through lack of opportunity and I recall seeing Davis and Tom McDonald doing a good job for us a while back in the VFL and it struck me how well they worked together.

• Like 1