AFL Pokies Ladder - Please explain

Six6Six

How is it that we have 172 poker machines that reap 4.7m while Hawthorn only have 155 poker machines that reap 13.3m?

AFL POKIES LADDER

What your club reaps from the new pokies tax laws

Machines Revenue to club %increase

Carlton 290 $16.8m 130%

Hawthorn 155 $13.3m 93%

Essendon 190 $5.8m 134%

Collingwood 180 $5.6m 119%

Geelong 180 $5.2m 141%

Melbourne 172 $4.7m 147%

W. Bulldogs 50 $1.7m 121%

Richmond 87 $2.3m 150%

St Kilda 83 $1.6m 203%

N. Melbourne 0 0 0

Total 1397 $42.9m 127%

The worst bit is that if we are not a part of it, where else do we get our revenues from?

It's about $13,200 per day from all of these machines.

Just to be clear, I'm not condoning gambling in any way.

Edited by Macca

The worst bit is that if we are not a part of it, where else do we get our revenues from?

Exactly we are not the moral police, if its legal and people want to play the pokies, then let them.

• Like 2

Exactly we are not the moral police, if its legal and people want to play the pokies, then let them.

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's right. We're involved in pokies because of the culture surrounding footy - not because we're so keen on giving people their god-given right to gamble if they want.

Sorry Macca, i don't agree. The worst part of it is that people lose money, a lot of money, to a machine where the odds are stacked massively against them.

It's legal, but it's not right.

Sorry Macca, i don't agree. The worst part of it is that people lose money, a lot of money, to a machine where the odds are stacked massively against them.

It's legal, but it's not right.

You two blokes may have misread what I meant there. I don't exactly feel comfortable about this type of income but at the same time, where would we make up the 4.7 million shortfall? That was what I was alluding to. I'd much prefer the club had other income streams.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that many of us found out about the large amount of income we derive from these machines. I had no idea these figures were so high. Especially for the Blues and the Hawks. It's a bit sobering to be quite honest.

I'm not a gambler as a general rule and I fully understand how gambling can ruin lives and families.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, my bad.

No worries Moonshadow. I've gone back and edited that post of mine. I could see how it might have been misread. The written word hey?

Probably my bad ^_^

How is it that we have 172 poker machines that reap 4.7m while Hawthorn only have 155 poker machines that reap 13.3m?

AFL POKIES LADDER

Carlton 290 $16.8m 130%

Hawthorn 155 $13.3m 93%

Essendon 190 $5.8m 134%

Geelong 180 $5.2m 141%

Melbourne 172 $4.7m 147%

Richmond 87 $2.3m 150%

St Kilda 83 $1.6m 203%

N. Melbourne 0 0 0

Total 1397 $42.9m 127%

Getting back to the point of the thread...

I think a lot of it has to do with the deal the vendor has with the provider. The clubs don't own the machines, but license them for their use. Different clubs get different deals on the machines they license. Note that Carlton with slightly more than half again the number of machines we have has almost four times the revenue. This is because of a highly crooked deal they struck a few years ago when a company owned by one of their board members refused to re-sign the leases to several other clubs and instead sold them cheap to Carlton (sound familiar?). As a result, they receive greater revenue per machine than most other clubs. We on the other hand have a fairly standard deal which makes us a profit, but nothing like if we had made the same deal.

I have no idea why the Hawks have such a great deal. Probably a similar sort of scenario to the Carlton one.

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's right. We're involved in pokies because of the culture surrounding footy - not because we're so keen on giving people their god-given right to gamble if they want.

Reads like you've thrown the word "culture" in for some relevance crutch. There are a whole heap of not for profit organisations who have pokies, community based, RSL's etc. do we query their motives or culture?

What we should ask ourselves as a citizenry is WTF do we let Packer, Mathieson or Woolworths Ltd own so many of them?? The last two for the record (according to Wikipedia) own over 10,500 of the bloody things!

• Like 1

Its a voluntary tax pure and simple. Except for the 2.3% that are addicted. That's a sad story.

For the other 97.7% its a bt of entertainment. You can go to a movie or you can have a bet on the dogs or you can throw $50 on a pokie.

Some around here need to stop moralising.

• Like 2

AFL POKIES LADDER

Carlton 290 $16.8m 130%

Hawthorn 155 $13.3m 93%

Essendon 190 $5.8m 134%

Geelong 180 $5.2m 141%

Melbourne 172 $4.7m 147%

Richmond 87 $2.3m 150%

St Kilda 83 $1.6m 203%

N. Melbourne 0 0 0

Total 1397 $42.9m 127%

Maybe it'd be better for us to sell em. If they're not making us much money, that is. I hear brothels are very profitable, and they're legal. Lets buy half a dozen, hey.

• Like 1

Reads like you've thrown the word "culture" in for some relevance crutch. There are a whole heap of not for profit organisations who have pokies, community based, RSL's etc. do we query their motives or culture?

That's a good point you make about not-for-profit organisations using pokies, but I still reckon that if pokies were in libraries the footy clubs wouldn't be into them so hard. The fact is that footy is watched in pubs, and a lot of pubs have pokies. It stands to reason then that pokies are a logical revenue stream for football clubs to get into.

I'm of the opinion that everyone should pretty have the choice to do whatever they want (with the obvious caveat that it shouldn't impinge on other people), so what I said isn't a complaint so much as an observation.

We are human, and we not going to stop gambling.

Someone is going to make money from gambling.

Better footy clubs, than some d!ck living off the misery of others.

This way, we are all dirty.

• Like 2

I'll blame the guys who introduced "two up" long ago and the culture of our nation...

As Diablo Demon said, location location. Wherever the Hawks set up their machines and the deal they have with vendors.

I'm tipping Bruce Matheison has given his beloved Blues a ripper deal.

I'll blame the guys who introduced "two up" long ago and the culture of our nation...

As Diablo Demon said, location location. Wherever the Hawks set up their machines and the deal they have with vendors.

Yes, but he also gave us a good deal too...

Edited by rpfc

Location Location is right. The squawks made sure they located their machines in outer burbs, and for the most part low income areas. In other words as far away from Hawthorn as possible. All overseen by the Chairman of Beyond Blue.

• Like 2

The whole thing is a disgrace. How on earth Carlton nearly ended up broke with these dollars coming in. And I bet with all those pubs they snapped up that collingwood are probably getting more than this list leads on.

It would be great to see rich clubs like collingwood say we must get away from this money that is drained from our poor supporters!