NAB Cup - Round 1 - Week 2

45HG

NAB Cup - Round 1 - Week 2  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting results last week.

Only the Dogs failed to get the win and we saw, as opposed to last year, that the team with the break had the advantage (especially if it was hot).

Of course, the Mighty Dees are in action this Friday night and it'll be very interesting to see how we go.

Friday night sees the young gun, up-and-coming teams of circa 2010 go head to head to head.

I think the Dees will want to make a good fist and I wouldn't be surprised if we walked away with one or even two wins. I'd be equally as unsurprised if we walked away with none. I'm leaning towards one, however and I think it'll be against the Tigers. North are always for up and that will continue, but it'd be nice if we could roll them (even in the Mickey Mouse Competition). North vs Richmond should be an interesting to watch as, you'd expect, both teams will be vying for at least the top 8.

Gold Coast will push the Lions I think and both Qld teams will want to stand up to last year's proper season runner's up. You'd think the Hawks would have too much class, however, and should come away with a couple of wins.

Likewise, the Blues should account for the Giants before facing up with the Premiers. Games between these two are always good to watch and I think the Blues will start the year with two wins.

Game of the Week

Richmond vs North Melbourne/Carlton vs Sydney

Interesting Game of the Week

Melbourne vs North Melbourne

Toughest to Pick

Gold Coast vs Brisbane

Upset of the Week

Melbourne over the Tigers

For the record: Land went at about 460% from the 9 games, leaving a 51% accuracy rate (I assume that works - as I'm doing it on overall tips rather than our rate for matches - or do posters think we should go with per game?)

• Like 1

I'd never tipped against Melbourne until two years ago.

I decided it was pointless and that I should just tip who I thought would win. Won the comp.

No, it doesn't make you a bad person.

Interesting results last week.

Only the Dogs failed to get the win and we saw, as opposed to last year, that the team with the break had the advantage (especially if it was hot).

Of course, the Mighty Dees are in action this Friday night and it'll be very interesting to see how we go.

Friday night sees the young gun, up-and-coming teams of circa 2010 go head to head to head.

I think the Dees will want to make a good fist and I wouldn't be surprised if we walked away with one or even two wins. I'd be equally as unsurprised if we walked away with none. I'm leaning towards one, however and I think it'll be against the Tigers. North are always for up and that will continue, but it'd be nice if we could roll them (even in the Mickey Mouse Competition). North vs Richmond should be an interesting to watch as, you'd expect, both teams will be vying for at least the top 8.

Gold Coast will push the Lions I think and both Qld teams will want to stand up to last year's proper season runner's up. You'd think the Hawks would have too much class, however, and should come away with a couple of wins.

Likewise, the Blues should account for the Giants before facing up with the Premiers. Games between these two are always good to watch and I think the Blues will start the year with two wins.

Game of the Week

Richmond vs North Melbourne/Carlton vs Sydney

Interesting Game of the Week

Melbourne vs North Melbourne

Toughest to Pick

Gold Coast vs Brisbane

Upset of the Week

Melbourne over the Tigers

For the record: Land went at about 460% from the 9 games, leaving a 51% accuracy rate (I assume that works - as I'm doing it on overall tips rather than our rate for matches - or do posters think we should go with per game?)

I am afraid that what Round 1 has shown us is that it is near impossible for teams to win the second game when they play consecutive games. Much as it grates on me, for this reason, i am going for beating the Roos in our first game with the Tigers getting the best of us but then losing their next game to the Roos. If we played first and last then I would tip us to win both games (as we are better than both North and Richmond).

Maybe we should tank in the first game and then thrash the Tigers to stick it up CW!

• Like 1

I'd never tipped against Melbourne until two years ago.

I decided it was pointless and that I should just tip who I thought would win. Won the comp.

No, it doesn't make you a bad person.

Morally, it's a form of prostitution.

If you look deep inside yourself.

• Like 1

Am I a bad person for not tipping Melbourne in either of our games?

No chook I am of the same opinion.

After 6 years of crap I will believe it when I see it.

We have a chance against the Tigers but no hope against the Roos at the dome of death.

Edited by old dee

I'd rather tip against us and have us win than tip us and see us lose.

That sentence took me a little longer to comprehend than I would have liked...but I eventually got it, and I agree. But the best possible result comes from taking the "winner take all" option; tipping us to win and being right. Those who tip against the Dees risk not experiencing that special brand of footy Nirvana.

Edited by Chook

That sentence took me a little longer to comprehend than I would have liked...but I eventually got it, and I agree. But the best possible result comes from taking the "winner take all" option; tipping us to win and being right. Those who tip against the Dees risk not experiencing that special brand of footy Nirvana.

Despite knowledge to the contrary I feel that, with this positive attitude, you haven't been a Melbourne fan for long...

• Like 1

I am afraid that what Round 1 has shown us is that it is near impossible for teams to win the second game when they play consecutive games. Much as it grates on me, for this reason, i am going for beating the Roos in our first game with the Tigers getting the best of us but then losing their next game to the Roos. If we played first and last then I would tip us to win both games (as we are better than both North and Richmond).

Maybe we should tank in the first game and then thrash the Tigers to stick it up CW!

DOnt even joke about that.....

I'd rather tip against us and have us win than tip us and see us lose.

That reminds me of the old Scottish custom of always betting on England. When asked why, the answer was along the lines of "At least you get the money if the #^*^#@*%^s win!" :blink:

Very confident about this Friday night - actually the whole NAB Cup.

Put $10 on sportsbet a few weeks ago to take out the pre-season title - Odds were 50-1

Checked back earlier this week to see if odds were the same - blown out to 67-1 . Another $10 on it.

Reasons i'm confident : 1) Heat and Humidity - Friday nght is looking to be humid about 30 degrees. Going back to back shouldnt be an issue, especially rotating the midfield between games 1-2. Our game against Port in the SA hinterland will be hot hot hot and an early march game at casey (should have home field advantage) will be warm as well

2) We need to show something - I think the club will treat this not only as a warm up to round one but as close to "real game" time as we can get. Plus we also need to show our supporters, sponsors and unsigned members that we mean business this year. Most of the players seem to be avaliable and going by Neeld will play (Hogan, Dawes, etc) on Friday night

3) Our fixture - Tigers , Roos - Etihad - Should knock off Tiges and hoping to sneak a win against North.

- Port away in SA - They are rebuilding and are further away from midnight than us. Especially if we play 90% of the team for Round 1.

- Saints @ Casey - Midfiels should dominate this game, and it's our second home.

Depending on who we come up against in the final...only top two teams go through, plus i dont think we want to travel anymore than we have to.

So with all that. Here's hoping $1170 coming my way in a few weeks.

Go Dees!!!

While I like us to win 1 maybe 2 games this friday night.. Do we get worried at all if we get smashed in both games by 5 or more goals?

Yep, I think so.

Just a case of same old same old, if we get thrashed in both games.

Friday night will tell me if we're a chance to beat Port in round 1.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Why not Jnr everyone outside the MFC believes we did

I am sick of this

Stop playing the victim old dee and this is not just directed at you it is to others who think we will forever be known as Tankers who gives a fook we need to move on. Everyone in the AFL knows Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond & Hawthorn tanked.

A few wins and a good couple of seasons and it will all be forgotten, the public perception changes. Hawks & Pies for obvious reasons are known as strong clubs, Richmond have in two years gone from being the worst team since Fitzroy to the next big thing, Carlton are still thought of as tankers but the microscope is now on the recruiting of a high profile coach. And to finish things off Essendon are now the butt of all jokes to do with drugs and Meth Coast's dodgy past is almost forgotten

Edited by Pennant St Dee

NAB Cup Squad for the round named:

ROUND 1 NAB CUP SQUAD

1 Jesse Hogan
2 Nathan Jones
4 Jack Watts
5 Jimmy Toumpas
6 Chris Dawes
7 Jack Viney
8 James Frawley
10 Shannon Byrnes
12 Colin Sylvia