Two main supporter forums - Why?

P-man

In answer to the OP, I say "why not"?

Despite a few misguided posters on either side taking pot shots at each other, we've co-existed well and I'm proud to say that over the years we've had combined sponsorships supporting the club and its younger players (which abruptly and inexplicably ended after CAC1972 left and was replaced as head recruiter by BBBP) and together we've produced inter forum footy teams that beat all comers year in, year out. Sooner or later, our incredible success as supporter sites must rub off on the Demons' main side.

• Like 3

Curious youngsters...

Don't be that guy rpfc.

Call it what you like. In the years I've been here I can't remember the subject being discussed openly outside of the odd snide remark. Not all if us have been coming here since Adam was a lad mate.

Don't be that guy rpfc.

Call it what you like. In the years I've been here I can't remember the subject being discussed openly outside of the odd snide remark. Not all if us have been coming here since Adam was a lad mate.

I was being flippant.

It is occassionally openly discussed until posters on both sites rag on each other with unfair generalisations.

Basically, the core posters are different and that affects the culture to the point where they are very different with their own little quirks and issues and neither is worse or better than the other but people prefer one experience over the other.

Like Coke and Pepsi.

Yeah, they were two sites that were based, predominantly, around the match reports of two different people - George on the Outer on Demonology, and Whispering Jack on Demonland. There were also the VFL reports of Barry from Beach Road on Demonland. They only got forums later on.

Thanks for the History lesson AoB!

I was being flippant.

It is occassionally openly discussed until posters on both sites rag on each other with unfair generalisations.

Basically, the core posters are different and that affects the culture to the point where they are very different with their own little quirks and issues and neither is worse or better than the other but people prefer one experience over the other.

Like Coke and Pepsi.

Agree. I think posters on both sites have come to appreciate both for different reasons and what they offer in terms of content. There's more posting on both, reading on both for more than one reason.

Over time when one has been upgraded or off line the other has stepped up to fill any void of MFC content for the readers.

Even when 'ology went the way of the dodo mid 2012 and turned twitter like....land welcomed and accepted posters.

In a way it is like Coke or Pepsi. I like both. I have one that's preferrable. But I'll read the contents on both cans and get a taste of both.

I found 'ology first, was then lead here. I prefer it here cos there is more going on, action every day. 'ology seemed a bit slow for me it was nothing for it to go days without a single post

There is too many crazy people here to not post, they cant help themselves...

You know who ou are

Rangey. You are back!

You survived the Cooler...Long stint that one...

G'day WYL. To quote Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption ... "Easiest time I ever did".

Welcome back mate!

Got on the wrong side of the other RR?

lol

Thanks moite.

Certainly appears that way. That he goes by the moniker 'Rhino' is a bit ironic given that that mammal has one of the thicker hides in the animal kingdom.

Welcome back, want to start a poll to see how long before you get banned again?

How about a Watts poll instead? Or a poll to guess the first poster to mindlessly call for Neeld's head? (Hardnut the short priced favourite).

Welcome back yze magic i mean range rover ;) start a poll?

Cheers DD36 ... but I don't know who this YzeMagic is. Sounds like a kindred spirit!

Welcome back RR. BTW I believe you had to share the sin bin with Daisycutter for a while. I'd call that cruel and unusual punishment.

Thank you BBO. Cleancut Daisy-C got sin-binned? Well I'll be. Things got all sensitive there for a while during the post-season gnashing of teeth.

New season though now. Neeld has cleaned house and re-loaded. How good is it to be a Dees fan at this time of year? Zero losses on the board, full of hope!

• Like 1

G'day WYL. To quote Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption ... "Easiest time I ever did".

Thanks moite.

Certainly appears that way. That he goes by the moniker 'Rhino' is a bit ironic given that that mammal has one of the thicker hides in the animal kingdom.

How about a Watts poll instead? Or a poll to guess the first poster to mindlessly call for Neeld's head? (Hardnut the short priced favourite).

Cheers DD36 ... but I don't know who this YzeMagic is. Sounds like a kindred spirit!

Thank you BBO. Cleancut Daisy-C got sin-binned? Well I'll be. Things got all sensitive there for a while during the post-season gnashing of teeth.

New season though now. Neeld has cleaned house and re-loaded. How good is it to be a Dees fan at this time of year? Zero losses on the board, full of hope!

happy with the Free Trade recruits RR?

One thing I've never understood from the get go is why there are two main supporter forums (Land and Ology) and this supposed (and wee bit juvenile) rivalry between them (BF board I group separately as it is part of a larger AFL forum).

1) It's not like we have the largest supporter base. Splitting us up seems a pointless exercise that results in less diversity of opinion and contribution.

2) Several posters seem to post on both sites anyhow.

3) Is Land really that horrible that there is this apparent need for a second forum?

When Oology went down I thought finally we might be able to have the one main supporter forum, but I see it's back again. Perhaps there is some greater, logical reason/history behind this?

Note: Not trying to [censored]-stir, more genuinely curious.

why Not?

the only thing worse than a duopoly, is a monopoly.

it gives opportunity & freedom of expression, when some want to quell it.

Edited by dee-luded

yes

I like a lot of what we did. After five seasons of beltings, we have to start winning games or at the very least start earning respect on the field. We needed big bodies and we needed leadership and I think Neeld succeeded in injecting some of both into the club. Will all of them fire? Probably not but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodan, Byrnes and Pederson keen to impress in new colours. All of them can play in my opinion.

What I really liked was the boldness of our entire trading/drafting period. The willingness to go full hog with the slash and burn and not do things in half measures.

The off season call I liked most was the decision to move Gysberts on. It was understandably unpopular with many supporters, it may even backfire on us ... but it was donefor the right reasons. We cannot tolerate anyone going half-arsed in their approach to footy anymore, no matter how talented.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 2

'The off season call I liked most was the decision to move Gysberts on.'

Me too, refusing to run a time trial sent the worst possible message to the playing group and could not be tolerated.

His slackness will try Scott's patience methinks.

• Like 1

My Filth schoolmate is pretty sure Dawes will do very well under Neeld. Was very sad to see him squeezed out.

A filth supporter at work has been harping on about Dawes kicking 100 goals in a season for years and years. Now he's not in the black and white he reckons he's no good....

Typical of the flith

• Like 1

My Filth schoolmate is pretty sure Dawes will do very well under Neeld. Was very sad to see him squeezed out.

It's interesting because if I were to be skeptical about any of the new boys, it would be Dawes. 2010 was a long while ago. That said, if he can hit even moderate form the presence of him and Clark in the forward 50 puts us immediately in the hunt in 70% of games.

It's interesting because if I were to be skeptical about any of the new boys, it would be Dawes. 2010 was a long while ago. That said, if he can hit even moderate form the presence of him and Clark in the forward 50 puts us immediately in the hunt in 70% of games.

Dawes is a massive unit even as a decoy. Top Bloke too, met him when he was at Brighton Grammar. My dad is very pleased he is back in the Red & Blue!!

It's worth noting that a lot of posters here (and Dee fans in general) thought we dodged a very large bullet when we failed to get Dawes last time. I know the circumstances are different, in that we also have Clark and (in 2014) Hogan as KPFs. I'm just wondering if in all the rose colored preseason hype, we are forgetting that he's really only had one half decent season (2010), in a premiership team full of class midfielders funnelling the ball to him on a plate as the 2nd tall fwd. If Clark does't play till mid year, Dawes is largely it for us, in terms of KPF.

It's worth noting that a lot of posters here (and Dee fans in general) thought we dodged a very large bullet when we failed to get Dawes last time. I know the circumstances are different, in that we also have Clark and (in 2014) Hogan as KPFs. I'm just wondering if in all the rose colored preseason hype, we are forgetting that he's really only had one half decent season (2010), in a premiership team full of class midfielders funnelling the ball to him on a plate as the 2nd tall fwd. If Clark does't play till mid year, Dawes is largely it for us, in terms of KPF.

A lot of people questioned the Recruitment of Mitch Clark to...The Main point to remember with Dawes is that the MFC (Neeld) targetted him...Chris Dawes did not land at Melbourne because that was what was left, we actively went after him.

Neeld and Leigh Brown went to his house...They have worked together.

Chris Dawes with a leadership role to his namw could be a very devastating weapon...At the Filth he was cog in a big engine....A player like Dawes needs one big game to regain confidence, he is a massive unit...only certain defenders can play on him.

Fingers and toes crossed