From Rags to Riches

Arrow

Guest Deemand

I just cant help myself but im going to say C.Sylvia to hit the ground running this year, with Jones and Viney under the packs, i think this is the make or break year for our mate Col, we know it, Neeld knows it and i'd say Colin knows it. I cannot see Tom Couch getting a game this year, not with all the midfielders brought in (Toumpas, Viney, Kent, Rodan etc)

(On a side note, i have noticed that those silly afl draft news sites on facebook, that they have Farren Ray on the outer at St.kilda, i was really hoping he came across for more outside run and depth)

• Like 1

OK OD, I'll nominate Tappy.

Strong and very brave, quick enough and a good kick (long and short). He'll play "taller" than he is as a flanker (maybe like a faster, fitter, better Campbell Brown). He'll also make some others walk a bit taller as well (if we have any of THOSE types left).

Glad to see it Left Field.

Look forward to you telling me so in August

Jetta & Spencer are the two that i think will come on enough to hold spots in the 22. Jetta has an opertunity to make a position his own and Spencer will get games if Russian's form is 2012 standard.

I think Jordie Mac will suprise many. Alot of people write him off as a tackler only, but Nathan Jones is proof that you can improve your game through hard work and a good attitude, i'd be suprised if Jordie doesnt keep improving all areas of his game.

Jetta & Spencer are the two that i think will come on enough to hold spots in the 22. Jetta has an opertunity to make a position his own and Spencer will get games if Russian's form is 2012 standard.

I think Jordie Mac will suprise many. Alot of people write him off as a tackler only, but Nathan Jones is proof that you can improve your game through hard work and a good attitude, i'd be suprised if Jordie doesnt keep improving all areas of his game.

He needs a kicking coach or he will remain ordinary IMO

He needs a kicking coach or he will remain ordinary IMO

He may be a better kick than you think 'Old', the last 2 seasons he's been looking to give off at all costs rather than kick which may have more to do with confidence with an injury he's been carrying (this may be his first full pre season). I seem to remember him being a better kick when he came into the club but I may be off the mark, let's wait and see.

2-3 seasons ago i would have told you that jones was an average kick, with poor awareness and terrible decision making ability.

Now days i'd say he has all 3 under control. AFL players train alot; its not unrealistic to expect a player to be able to improve their kicking.

• Like 4

He may be a better kick than you think 'Old', the last 2 seasons he's been looking to give off at all costs rather than kick which may have more to do with confidence with an injury he's been carrying (this may be his first full pre season). I seem to remember him being a better kick when he came into the club but I may be off the mark, let's wait and see.

I went to the Game in Brisbane last year rjay. He was terrible, at least three times in the third quarter he picked out the only Lion player in their back line and kicked it straight to them. The guy was 15 metres away from three Dees players.

He either wants to learn how to kick or get his eyes tested.

I will admit he does get the ball, that put him in front of about 20 other players last year.

I think he is a useful tagger but doubt much more than that.

But who knows time will tell

• Like 1

2-3 seasons ago i would have told you that jones was an average kick, with poor awareness and terrible decision making ability.

Now days i'd say he has all 3 under control. AFL players train alot; its not unrealistic to expect a player to be able to improve their kicking.

I hope you are right DemonWA he does at least know how to get the ball which is always a great start.

But until I see otherwise I think he is good tackler with plenty of heart but a lack of skill that will keep him in the average class.

I went to the Game in Brisbane last year rjay. He was terrible, at least three times in the third quarter he picked out the only Lion player in their back line and kicked it straight to them. The guy was 15 metres away from three Dees players.

He either wants to learn how to kick or get his eyes tested.

I will admit he does get the ball, that put him in front of about 20 other players last year.

I think he is a useful tagger but doubt much more than that.

But who knows time will tell

I've seen him over the last couple of years too and he has been below average when he has had to kick, I just seem to remember him being better in the past. I hope he turns that part of his game around, a pure tagger is becoming an endangered species in the AFL.

you may well be right.

His report card reads as so-so.

He seemed like a bull at a gate but seemed to stall on the line. Injuries are cruel no doubt.

Good point I thought Chunk was limited and happy to have that blow up in my face :) Jonesy always had determination and hindsight suggests footy nouse and the ability (rare) to self critique and apply himself.

Tippy seems one of a handful who've been round a few seasons now and still leave us in the dark

I think we all sometimes jump the gun on the kids. some come quick then stall Trenners.

some just go along honesltly til we stick the pins into them, but they turn it back on us. Jones so far.

some are perennially injured but talented, 'Evans' hope we can help him workout how to manage his body & workloads.

an some are just naturals, but beware what hides around the corner, Howe... ego's can grow big enough to trip over?

...between Neeld & Craig, with LBrown & others about, to keep the boys honest & inline.

I'll defer to your 1050 posts but just keep your eye on the old bloke

I have my issues with dunny, & he's been a big disappointment to me expectations wise, & he has short stepped etc, but I'll admit he had improved over the last 12 months or so, at least getting a regular game.

If he makes me wrong I'll be the first to congratulate him. & wish him well. But I do think he goes better when under the pump of losing his MFC

listing.

time will tell.

I've seen him over the last couple of years too and he has been below average when he has had to kick, I just seem to remember him being better in the past. I hope he turns that part of his game around, a pure tagger is becoming an endangered species in the AFL.

I am looking forward to the day that our midfield crop matches his effort with there own as they will have a lot more polish than Jordie but he still warrants a place in my 22 on endeavour alone. He definitely was a better kick when he first came on the scene also. It was never brilliant but it wasn't noticable one way or another, now unfortunately it is noticable and not in a positive light.

I can't believe I am going to say that Colin Sylvia will be my rags to riches prediction.

I was O/S during the second half of the year and only catching up on games via foxfooty. The Sylvia Saga has been done to death since 2003 but his second half of the year was very strong. His tackling and physicallity around the contest was the most consistent I have seen from Col. I remember him starting slow (which a broken jaw or back or something wouldn't have helped so excusing that a little) but he came home really strong.

So I kind of feel dirty for saying this (really dirty) but I believe he will have his best year to date if he stays injury free. Not tipping a brownlow or anything ridiculous but I believe a 25 goal year averaging 20+ possessions.

Sorry for bringing Col into this thread.

• Like 2

I am looking forward to the day that our midfield crop matches his effort with there own as they will have a lot more polish than Jordie but he still warrants a place in my 22 on endeavour alone. He definitely was a better kick when he first came on the scene also. It was never brilliant but it wasn't noticable one way or another, now unfortunately it is noticable and not in a positive light.

I can't believe I am going to say that Colin Sylvia will be my rags to riches prediction.

I was O/S during the second half of the year and only catching up on games via foxfooty. The Sylvia Saga has been done to death since 2003 but his second half of the year was very strong. His tackling and physicallity around the contest was the most consistent I have seen from Col. I remember him starting slow (which a broken jaw or back or something wouldn't have helped so excusing that a little) but he came home really strong.

So I kind of feel dirty for saying this (really dirty) but I believe he will have his best year to date if he stays injury free. Not tipping a brownlow or anything ridiculous but I believe a 25 goal year averaging 20+ possessions.

You can bring in whoever you like deeko

A firing Sylvia would be very welcome.

I will just believe it when I see it.

I hope your right deeko, that would be the cherry atop the chocolate moose. ^_^

• Like 1

Haha I didn't say no Sylvia because I'm sick of it I just sometimes like hearing about talk of the lesser likes. Great to hear Jetta having a ripper preseason, with no Davey and Jurrah we really lost that aboriginal spark in the team. The way that type of footballer plays really does bring a spark to both team and supporters and hopefully Jetta can do it for us. In terms of young players also I really like Kent. Obviously he's not been stuck in VFL but at his pick he wouldn't be expected to do much season 1. Him and Tapscott are very very similar so for mine I think one of the two will make it... God knows which one.

I have a feeling Matt Jones might surprise everyone...his performances when finally moved into the midfield by Box Hill were outstanding...
Think you might be right buff

There are a handful of players I could throw in the mix, a couple for one reason or another will HAVE to step it up this year

or they may find themselves looking for a new home next year. Some just for the fact we will be forced to adjust the list.

ATM I have a soft spot for Pickles, he is a likeable lad, determined, and hasnt had a good run with his back injuries etc.

Add to the fact he moved from W.Aust if that wasnt unsettling enough, all though his ordeal he could have easly pulled the pin

and gone home. But everytime I see him training,he is putting in 100% to get fitter.

He has got some good pace and hard at it. Game time is what he requires, and perhaps he will surprise.

• Like 1

I think I( can recall saying the same thing last year but I do see even more flexibility in the teamwhich can only be a good thing . some game plans and some opponents might need a taller less mobile option while others need tall mobile, others small tough,or smaller gile, and obviously a mix of all.

We seem to have a squad that provides that flexibility in all parts of the ground so I am hoping all the above predictions and many not mentioned are all correct and all play a part in the improvement.

Haha I didn't say no Sylvia because I'm sick of it I just sometimes like hearing about talk of the lesser likes. Great to hear Jetta having a ripper preseason, with no Davey and Jurrah we really lost that aboriginal spark in the team. The way that type of footballer plays really does bring a spark to both team and supporters and hopefully Jetta can do it for us. In terms of young players also I really like Kent. Obviously he's not been stuck in VFL but at his pick he wouldn't be expected to do much season 1. Him and Tapscott are very very similar so for mine I think one of the two will make it... God knows which one.

You look at West Coast this year. They were decimated by injury but still found enough talented players on their list to keep winning games. Hawthorn also.

Depth is spoken about a lot but when you really look at how important it is, you begin to understand just how close competition for spots must be in order to keep performing. Kent coming into the team will definitley give Tapscott the incentive to find some productive consistency.

I can't help but believe there will be massive improvement right across the list this year.

• Like 2

And seeing as they have similar attitudes, there is no reason what so ever that McKenzie can't improve also. In McKenzie, I see a guy who if he fixes one trait (all be it an important one) he has the potential to be one of, if not the best player on our list- hardest to play against at least