Which Ex-Demons Will Thrive?

stuie

Then you can read my reply as well WYL. You can stick to your typical "this year is make or break" threads that have been done a million times, I'm just trying to find some other MFC related things to talk about that might bring something new to the table.

ex players are not related to the MFC anymore.

Infact these players now wish to beat us.

Debating how the new coach will fare in his second year is far more "in the blood"

• Like 1

ex players are not related to the MFC anymore.

Infact these players now wish to beat us.

Debating how the new coach will fare in his second year is far more "in the blood"

Just trying to encourage new ideas for conversation mate. Until we're at least back at training I don't think there's much more we can say about how the coach and the recruits will fare that hasn't been said A MILLION times already.

• Like 1

Looks like nobody has mentioned Gysberts and Petterd after the opening post! Interesting!

They wouldn't need to improve much to show up their MFC form, so "thrive" might need some context. Personally I expect Rivers to be the same but look 'better' in Geelong's line-up so he'll thrive. Moloney if he can get to near where he was in '11 will be seen as thriving as well. Martin if he gets a run in the ruck will thrive (started to at Melbourne n that position). Gysberts, Bennell and Morton will be 'thriving' if they can get consecutive games. Petterd could thrive if he knuckles down. I had no idea about his attitude at the MFC last year but his on field performances were selfish.

They wouldn't need to improve much to show up their MFC form, so "thrive" might need some context. Personally I expect Rivers to be the same but look 'better' in Geelong's line-up so he'll thrive. Moloney if he can get to near where he was in '11 will be seen as thriving as well. Martin if he gets a run in the ruck will thrive (started to at Melbourne n that position). Gysberts, Bennell and Morton will be 'thriving' if they can get consecutive games. Petterd could thrive if he knuckles down. I had no idea about his attitude at the MFC last year but his on field performances were selfish.
FWIW I think Morton will be the one to stand out - playing in a good side in the wide spaces of Subi. Martin as well, providing he can get his study / football balance right - still can't work out why we let him go ..

Riv & Martin will be the only losses.

Moreso Riv because he was consistant.Stef seemed to be NQR with applying attittude maybe... because he should have been getting a regular gig based on his potential alone which at times was outstanding but would then go missing.

Beamer cant cut it in the modern game.Absolutely no pace and gets over run every game by average mids.

Bennell had potential but didnt go the hard ball and will struggle for a gig in a good team let alone a poor one.

Morton is a JOKE. What an out & out dud.WC like us are/were kidding themselves.

Petterd I loved... but injury has ruined him.

Bate=DUD.

Lawrence=DUD.

Cook=DUD

L Williams not really given a go.Maybe not up to it.

Jurrah=Well documented.

Riv & Martin will be the only losses.

Moreso Riv because he was consistant.Stef seemed to be NQR with applying attittude maybe... because he should have been getting a regular gig based on his potential alone which at times was outstanding but would then go missing.

Beamer cant cut it in the modern game.Absolutely no pace and gets over run every game by average mids.

Bennell had potential but didnt go the hard ball and will struggle for a gig in a good team let alone a poor one.

Morton is a JOKE. What an out & out dud.WC like us are/were kidding themselves.

Petterd I loved... but injury has ruined him.

Bate=DUD.

Lawrence=DUD.

Cook=DUD

L Williams not really given a go.Maybe not up to it.

Jurrah=Well documented.

Agree with all of this except Beamer. He had a shocker of a year because he had the sulks up with the new game plan and I believe being demoted from the leadership group. You could see most of the games he wasn't interested at all.

He will have a good year at the Lions as he is the sort of character who will want to prove people wrong.

In saying this though I was filthy watching him this year go at it half arsed so stoked we got rid of him.

As for Martin, he is a bits and pieces player. Shows a glimpse of brilliance and then does something completely ridiculous a minute later. Those who rate him better than Jamar are kidding themselves. Yes he may get some more of the pill around the ground but he gets eaten alive in the centre square contests and boundary throw ins. Jamar is a smart cookie, he will learn to adapt to the new rules and hopefully we get to see some more of his form a couple years ago when he was jumping a lot more at contests.

I'll miss Rivers as he is a just a good honest player who I always liked and was always super courageous. I have had a chat with a couple of players who love him as a team mate.

He will be a bigger loss then people realise and look like a really great player with the support at the Cattery.

As for the rest... umm... don't really care.

Wish them luck though except when we play them

• Like 1

If Moloney pulls out another 20 brownlow vote year with the Lions, I suspect he will get a mention or two on this site. Probably by the ones who say he is an ex player now therefore irrelevant.
that would reflect more on Moloney's character rather than anyone on this site.

If he continues to beat up on weak opposition but goes missing against any decent oponents then i will be business as usual imo.

Maybe our much-touted former No. 4 draft pick will finally prove that he is worth his salt? Certainly he posseses silky skills (like Travis) if he only learnt to go in harder. It will be interesting to see, however I am loathe to make a prediction either way!

I see a few posters mentioning that Morton wil thrive on the expansion wings of Subi. The last time I was at the 'G' it looked pretty expansive. West Coast play a fierce combative style of footy and sadly that game style would be totally foreign to Cale.

• Like 1

Maybe our much-touted former No. 4 draft pick will finally prove that he is worth his salt? Certainly he posseses silky skills (like Travis) if he only learnt to go in harder. It will be interesting to see, however I am loathe to make a prediction either way!

Comparing Cale Morton's skills to Travis Johnstone is like comparing me to Brad Pitt. Cale is an average kick when on his own under no pressure and unacceptably poor under pressure. TJ had the skills to calve out a decent career, although it should have been better, on skill alone, but I don't think Cale can do the same.

I think Moloney will be serviceable, Martin will underwhelm, Gysberts and Bennell won't make it, Petterd will be ok but ultimately frustrate, Morton will barely get a game, and Rivers will be decent although I think the Cats will slide out of the 8 this year and beyond, and I think he may live to regret leaving.

No WYL, It will reflect his good play/games. Umpires do not take away votes for things like excessive swearing (a blight on character IMO).
i take little notice of umpires votes. They should be far too busy doing there real job.

Dipperdethuggaro is a brownlow medalist FCS!!

Maybe I am the only one here but I do follow the "ex-wives" - during the season I have a look after each match to see how they have fared.

I cant let em go quite that easily just because they are no longer in the red and blue. I always hope they fare poorly against us but when it is not against the Dee's then I range from having wanted Brad Miller to kick on to Tom Scully getting kicked in the nuts.

• Like 4

Maybe I am the only one here but I do follow the "ex-wives" - during the season I have a look after each match to see how they have fared.

I cant let em go quite that easily just because they are no longer in the red and blue. I always hope they fare poorly against us but when it is not against the Dee's then I range from having wanted Brad Miller to kick on to Tom Scully getting kicked in the nuts.

Agree with you Nutbean. I always check out how well they played. Those that say they have no interest, I wonder if they can say they didn't have a look at how Cameron Bruce and Tom Scully were going.

Morton is a spud and will be lucky to even get a game at WC.

Pettard will see regular football and his sublime skills will see him put on a few clinics,

he'll have a solid year and be a vital key by the end of 2013.

Stef Martin will have a very good year and no doubt a field day against our rucks.

We better hope Gawn can come on, because at present we have nothing.

Moloney will have a solid year as you'd expect, but he won't have a good enough year

to make us kick ourselves - he is a selfish, one dimensional midfielder couldn't play to our set up.

Gysberts won't do much, he's looked limited as a player and I'd expect that to continue.

Rivers, as mentioned will have a great year, he is a class act and a great backman.

Very curious to see how Morton and Bennell do over at the best football department in the country, basically if they can't make it there they weren't going to make it anywhere.

Who says WC have the best. They have plenty of failures like all other teams, their team list each week is pretty consistent so it questions about the other 20 odd blokes on the list and how well they are developing for depth? But they do have a lot of money to throw at players and the second tier players do hang around. I think think Morton will make it as I dont think he has the mental drive. Bennell I think will as he was the focus of interviews then and recently whereas Morton hasn't been mentioned at all in the press.

Who says WC have the best. They have plenty of failures like all other teams, their team list each week is pretty consistent so it questions about the other 20 odd blokes on the list and how well they are developing for depth? But they do have a lot of money to throw at players and the second tier players do hang around. I think think Morton will make it as I dont think he has the mental drive. Bennell I think will as he was the focus of interviews then and recently whereas Morton hasn't been mentioned at all in the press.

Didn't Bennell have a ruptured ACL from round 16. Cannot see him playing AFL in 2013.