HF: Kent Hogan Rodan

HB: Dunn McDonald Jetta

F: Byrnes Dawes Pedersen

B: Nicholson Frawley Garland

R: Clark M.Jones Magner

R: Jamar McKenzie N.Jones

I: Couch Stark

I: Strauss Macdonald Evans Gawn Davis Spencer Bail

I don't mind this team however I suspect that Dunn will feature ahead of Taggert.

Dunn seems to be earmarked as a role player by the match committee and his long kicking is certainly an asset. He's also been used as a defensive forward on occasions so he may well play quite regularly. Hard to pick these teams with so many changes having been made to our list and with so many of our existing players down on form last season (we now know that our list were doing another virtual 'pre-season' during the year, so some of that poor form can be explained)

There's always surprises and disappointments as the year progresses. And injuries can play a huge role. Reckon many of us want to see how our new players will fare. My team placed a heavy emphasis on the new players. Tynan and Gillies are another couple that I'd like to see get some game time.

Today's footy is becoming more about the overall squad rather than any particular 'best' team. We'll see more players being periodically 'rested' due to the demands of the modern game.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

A few things:

- Being named in the centre just means you're playing in the midfield rotation.

Whether it's Jones, Trengove, Viney, Byrnes; it doesn't matter.

- Grimes had back stress fractures in his first season.

When was the last time he was out injured with back issues?

- Grimes is fast and quick, especially compared to the sluggish Moloney.

His only strength was brute force.

- Grimes, as before, has speed. But that also has nothing to do with cleanliness with the ball.

But seriously, you need to watch more football.

Hit the nail on the head! Couldnt agree more and your judgement is usually spot as you have the advantage of close up work at training.

Haveing just attended training on Wednesday30th Jan and seen the players in action i perused the new list and categorised them as follows:

New Existing not played Recycled

Taggert Tynan Only 2 games) Dawes

Kent Evans none last year Rodan

Viney Davis Rodan

Toumpas Fitzpatrick 2 games Pederson

Jones(Matt) Gillies

Barry

Terlich

Looking at the list I am wondering who will be part of our best 22 consistently

I would list the following

Viney,Toumpas,Barry,Dawes,Rodan,Byrnes

Of Concern are Tynan Evans Davis Fitzpatrick Magner and

What do others think?The existing group just havent come on>

Haveing just attended training on Wednesday30th Jan and seen the players in action i perused the new list and categorised them as follows:

New Existing not played Recycled

Taggert Tynan Only 2 games) Dawes

Kent Evans none last year Rodan

Viney Davis Rodan

Toumpas Fitzpatrick 2 games Pederson

Jones(Matt) Gillies

Barry

Terlich

Looking at the list I am wondering who will be part of our best 22 consistently

I would list the following

Viney,Toumpas,Barry,Dawes,Rodan,Byrnes

Of Concern are Tynan Evans Davis Fitzpatrick Magner and

What do others think?The existing group just havent come on>

I'd add Matt Jones and Terlich to your list of regulars.

I think Magner might be overtaken.......Hard at it, but skills a little on the down side for me.....

We'd expect so but he won't make it easy to overtake him, he'll be setting a very high standard at training for hard work.

• Like 3

I'd add Matt Jones and Terlich to your list of regulars.

Just like Tom Couch last year? These players who come from the VFL very rarely step straight into regulars. I agree they are training well but we just have no inkling into how good their game smarts are or how well they can play to Melbournes game plan. Couch averaged 30 touches and a goal or two in the VFL and played one full AFL game.

• Like 2

Clark and Trengove will definitely miss round 1, so two regular spots are up for grabs.

Viney, Dawes, and Byrnes will start round one.

Rodan, Toumpas and Pederson are strong contenders for round 1 but will miss.

Another hypothetical "what if" for round 1 (assuming all players fit). it should make for very interesting intraclub practice matches (and/or a strong Scorpions side):

• Backline: Jetta, Frawley, Garland

vs. Forwardline: Bail, Fitzpatrick, Strauss

• Half-Backline: Dunn, T. McDonald, Watts

vs. Half-Forwardline: Kent, Hogan, Spencer

• Centreline: Sylvia, Grimes, Trengrove

vs. Centreline: Evans, Tapscott, Barry

• Half-Forwardline: Pederson, Clark, Howe

vs. Half-Backline: Gillies, J MacDonald, Davis

• s
  • Forwardline: Blease, Dawes, Byrnes
  • vs. Backline: Terlich, Sellar, Nicholson

• Followers: Jamar, N. Jones, Viney

vs Followers: Gawn, Magner, M. Jones

• Interchange: Davey, Toumpas, McKenzie

• Substitute: Rodan

vs Interchange: Couch, Tynan, Clisby

Interchange: Stark,

Substitute: Stark

Emergencies: D. Barry, Nicholson, Tapscott

Another hypothetical "what if" for round 1 (assuming all players fit). it should make for very interesting intraclub practice matches (and/or a strong Scorpions side):

• Backline: Jetta, Frawley, Garland

vs. Forwardline: Bail, Fitzpatrick, Strauss

• Half-Backline: Dunn, T. McDonald, Watts

vs. Half-Forwardline: Kent, Hogan, Spencer

• Centreline: Sylvia, Grimes, Trengrove

vs. Centreline: Evans, Tapscott, Barry

• Half-Forwardline: Pederson, Clark, Howe

vs. Half-Backline: Gillies, J MacDonald, Davis

• Forwardline: Blease, Dawes, Byrnes

vs. Backline: Terlich, Sellar, Nicholson

• Followers: Jamar, N. Jones, Viney
  • Interchange: Davey, Toumpas, McKenzie
  • Substitute: Rodan

vs Followers: Gawn, Magner, M. Jones

Interchange: Couch, Tynan, Clisby

Substitute: Stark

Just like Tom Couch last year? These players who come from the VFL very rarely step straight into regulars. I agree they are training well but we just have no inkling into how good their game smarts are or how well they can play to Melbournes game plan. Couch averaged 30 touches and a goal or two in the VFL and played one full AFL game.

Be prepared for a long list of players who have come out of WAFL, SANFL and VFL and played good footy in their first year.

I'm not saying Terlich and Jones will do it but if they do they will join quite a large group.

Clark and Trengove will definitely miss round 1, so two regular spots are up for grabs.

Viney, Dawes, and Byrnes will start round one.

Rodan, Toumpas and Pederson are strong contenders for round 1 but will miss.

I wouldn't be ruling Clark out for round one, just yet.

• Like 1

I also wouldn't rule out co-captain Jack Trengove as I thought the plan was to time his return then.

• Like 1

Be prepared for a long list of players who have come out of WAFL, SANFL and VFL and played good footy in their first year.

I'm not saying Terlich and Jones will do it but if they do they will join quite a large group.

Not saying none do I'm saying it is an enormous pool, there are a lot of mature aged players coming into the system and few make it. Last year the success stories were Steve Morris & Dayne Zorko, and than secondary players like Tory Dickson and Sam Gibson . The last 3 really played 10-12 games each and Morris and Dickson are specialized positions. Godspeed to the two of them but I just think the suggestion that Terlich and Jones will both be 'regulars' is ambitious.

Not saying none do I'm saying it is an enormous pool, there are a lot of mature aged players coming into the system and few make it. Last year the success stories were Steve Morris & Dayne Zorko, and than secondary players like Tory Dickson and Sam Gibson . The last 3 really played 10-12 games each and Morris and Dickson are specialized positions. Godspeed to the two of them but I just think the suggestion that Terlich and Jones will both be 'regulars' is ambitious.

Yep, fair comment. I was never a fan of Magner or Couch and couldn't understand why we kept them on this year. They both have terrific attitudes but don't seem up to AFL standard to me and if they play we are in trouble I think.

I've seen both Terlich and Jones at training a couple of times this year and both have impressed, much more so than either Magner or Couch. Terlich I particularly like and Jones M has a very big body for a mid but of course the stuff I'm seeing now is Micky Mouse stuff. We'll obviously know more in a few weeks.

But ya gotta have hope!

Im sure if theres a glimmer of a chance, he'll grasp it . Mitch is all about making statements with your actions. ( unlike traffic cops in the middle of the ground etc lol)

Im not inking him in...just pencilling with a very dark 5B !! ;)

Im sure if theres a glimmer of a chance, he'll grasp it . Mitch is all about making statements with your actions. ( unlike traffic cops in the middle of the ground etc lol)

Im not inking him in...just pencilling with a very dark 5B !! ;)

You both have way more confidence that me.

Both have serious foot injuries to rush them back would be criminal.

Have them both play round 8 at Casey is fine with me.

We need these guys firing in 2014 - 2018 lets not risk anything for a few early matches in 2013.

Yep, fair comment. I was never a fan of Magner or Couch and couldn't understand why we kept them on this year. They both have terrific attitudes but don't seem up to AFL standard to me and if they play we are in trouble I think.

I've seen both Terlich and Jones at training a couple of times this year and both have impressed, much more so than either Magner or Couch. Terlich I particularly like and Jones M has a very big body for a mid but of course the stuff I'm seeing now is Micky Mouse stuff. We'll obviously know more in a few weeks.

But ya gotta have hope!

Too bloody right BB, and I also wasn't a huge fan of Magner's work but the club obviously like his training and hardness so for that I can see him getting games. Good to hear in comparison Terlich and Jones you think are better overall players, it's a key for us to have depth in our positions whether they are regulars or play 2-10 games we need as many players to 'AFL' standard as possible!

I must ask with 2,000 posts I don't recognise 'Baghdad Bob' are you fresh of a two year ban haha?

• Like 1