WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DAVID RODAN

Demon Head

Guest Hulkamania

You don't think Dawes, Barry, Viney, Byrnes, Pick 4 and Hogan is something different?

Dawes and Byrnes are the only mature players in that mix.

Dawes and Byrnes are the only mature players in that mix.

Define 'Mature'

Howe as classed as a 'Mature' player at 20 when drafted.

That's how old Evans is...20, so why wouldn't he be classed as mature?

I am all for bringing in mature players, but I want mature players who can at least play in the firsts of their team. Not ones who have already been through 2 clubs, was about to get de-listed and is 29 and will be lucky to play 15 games for us.

Minimum wage if his knees are ok. Could be worth a punt.

He can play. But can he still do it next year?

If his knees are ok is one large qualification!!

Guest Hulkamania

Define 'Mature'

Howe as classed as a 'Mature' player at 20 when drafted.

That's how old Evans is...20, so why wouldn't he be classed as mature?

I am all for bringing in mature players, but I want mature players who can at least play in the firsts of their team. Not ones who have already been through 2 clubs, was about to get de-listed and is 29 and will be lucky to play 15 games for us.

Who classed Howe as a mature player? No-one that I know of. Mature is someone with years of senior AFL experience, preferably someone who has performed well at the level.

Sure Rodan's a risk ... but he meets that criteria. And what's wrong with 15 - 30 games from him in the short term while the team as a whole develops? We can't forever be looking solely 3 - 4 years ahead. We now know that doesn't work.

Who classed Howe as a mature player? No-one that I know of. Mature is someone with years of senior AFL experience, preferably someone who has performed well at the level.

Sure Rodan's a risk ... but he meets that criteria. And what's wrong with 15 - 30 games from him in the short term while the team as a whole develops? We can't forever be looking solely 3 - 4 years ahead. We now know that doesn't work.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/playerprofile/jeremyhowe/tabid/8357/playerid/22238/category/senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx

first sentence

"The high-marking forward was drafted as a mature-age player and made his debut in round 11,"

We traded him for nothing.

Pick 88 is useless to us. Wouldn't get near that pick.

Well rpfc

So 88 was useless?

How come PA on traded 88 for Stevenson from the Eagles?

I think there is more to come from this.

Erm, no. Port got SMASHED in 2007.

Three premiership players now? Dawes, Byrnes and Rodan...

Rodan went to port in 2007 so he did play in their losing final but not in their 04 premiership.

All jokes aside here. Part of me welcomes David Rodan. He's still young enough and has 2 good years left in him. Knee must be OK because MFC would of checked this out. As supporters we must all get behind David. He may not yet have his best years behind him. It's a gamble lets face it. Very similar move to recruiting Byrnes from the Cats. Both may grasp an opportunity at Melbourne they would never of got at other clubs.

I like Rodan. Like Farmer he has the potential to get things moving and his experience will rub of on of the younger recruits and existing players.

Aside from all this Melbourne IMO still need to land a significant defender to bolster the defensive stocks. A player out of the Icke or Ingerson mould will be required if we are to win more than 6 matches.

Edited by thaipantsman

Can't say i'm thrilled about getting Rodan - but i've got faith in the football department, so i'll back them.

The thing i'm most upset is that Greg Denham was the first that I know of to suggest Rodan to Melbourne.

insider knowledge iwap

Really? Wasn't he the one critical of the Melbourne Bears and dad's army?

Yeah - he used that as part of his justification for those comments a few weeks ago. Something along the lines of, 'they'll recruit anyone that wants to come to them. Rodan is likely to join them, because no other club will want him'.

Well rpfc

So 88 was useless?

How come PA on traded 88 for Stevenson from the Eagles?

I think there is more to come from this.

If the Eagles use 88 I will be amazed.

The pick is a make weight to find people homes.

A gesture of good will to departing players.

Yeah - he used that as part of his justification for those comments a few weeks ago. Something along the lines of, 'they'll recruit anyone that wants to come to them. Rodan is likely to join them, because no other club will want him'.

yeah!!

and how would you know that precisely IWAP?? "no other club will want him"

Someone wrote on the net how depressing Rodan's career has been. Strated ta richmond moved to port and will now finish at the demons. Im surprised we got him but I have faith in neeld. He is probably the best 88th pick ever and at least he is ready to play. If he does play round 1 at least he will be fired up against his old team.

Maybe he could be that small crumber we missed when Aussie departed.

Greag Denham will have a field day on SEN tomorrow. prepare for more bagging.

Well I thought the club had bottomed out, but this takes us to a another level.

Maybe Neelds realised his coaching career is fragged and has decided to burn the joint down around him.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.