• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

Dawes hasn't played consistently good football since the premiership year and I would have reservations as I did with the idea of Clark becoming a key forward. Neeld and his offsiders were right about Clark so I guess I will put my faith in them with Dawes. Neeld and Brown have both worked closely with him so should know what they are getting.

Dawes' value would be beyond his on field contribution. Neeld is very strong on developing a culture, but I am 100% supportive of.

On top of that, Dawes is a hard running and strong key forward who still has 6 years of good footy in him.

We are very lucky because we don't need Dawes to be the pea (like the Dogs do) because we were fortunate enough to get Clark last year (which was an amazing move that I still pinch myself over), so we just need to provide a structure that helps support Clark. With Dawes and Pederson, we have a structure that could really work. Then we have a nice age spread with Hogan coming in next year as an atheltic, hard working gorilla forward.

If we have the structure in place next year then we are able t just concentrate on improving the talent of those that make up the structure. For example, bringing in Viney plus pick 4 in the midfield, plus an earlyish pick next year,

• Like 5

Collingwood reckon pick 20 is not enough??! They are kidding themselves.

They went and recruited lynch to specifically play the position and role that dawes currerntly occupies, meaning they cant be to impressed with his performance.

If 20 doesnt get it done then good riddance to him, and pederson/gumbleton will have to do, and pederson specifically will do just fine.

Play him forward, then rotate him down back so sellar can ruck while jamar rests forward. done deal.

Pick 20 is overs. Collingwood are searching for anything they can get their hands on,

If we didn't have the bulldogs breathing down our necks in negotiations I would tell the pies they can take or leave our third rounder.

Yes, GWS wanted pick 3 for themselves and wouldn't have got it if they'd forced us to use it on Viney. Surely there is no room left for "I thinks" on that one?

They probably also spoke of who they want in the draft the reason why we have given them pick 3 knowing the player we want (Wines) will be free at pick 4.

Look it not all about his on field performance, Dawes is a very good trainer and he is a law student, there not just getting him to play but also to be a leader at the club.

If you can play a demanding spot like AFL and study to be a lawyer at the same time you must be a very good role model.

For all those saying pick 20 is "overs", they may be technically correct, but the problem is we don't have a pick 26 or 27 (which is what the market may dictate his value to be). It is rare that a player is traded for exact value, especially when he nominates a club.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 2

For all those saying pick 20 is "overs", they may be technically correct, but the problem is we don't have a pick 26 or 27 (which is what the market may dictate his value to be). It is rare that a player is traded for exact value, especially when he nominates a club.

this is true but collingwood want more than "just" pick 20 which i believe is a sticking point for most

Edited by rolly

Collingwood reckon pick 20 is not enough??! They are kidding themselves.

They went and recruited lynch to specifically play the position and role that dawes currerntly occupies, meaning they cant be to impressed with his performance.

And Lynch was dropped late last year and decided to leave West Coast because he felt he was being squeezed out, so West Coast can't have been too impressed with his performance. Yet the Pies were very keen to get Lynch to come to them for a specific role that they thought he was better suited to than Dawes. And that role is pinch hitting in the ruck. Dawes doesn't do it well and won't have to at Melbourne.

Neeld coached him and Brown played with him, so let's accept that they're in the best position to judge how beneficial he'll be to our structure. Prior to his fractured knuckle in 2011 he was having a stellar season and it would have required two first rounders to prize a gun young CHF out of Collingwood. Last year he wasn't allowed to play just as a key forward and some players need continuity to reach the required levels of confidence. His stocks having dropped is presently Melbourne's gain. Who knows what he'll be worth again 12 months from now.

My biggest issue is that I was expecting us to draft 3 (hopefully) gun mids in the first round and now at best that looks like being two. But if Trengove steps up to be the player we all expected then that will go a long way to solving our midfield woes.

Neeld was right about Clark, and while I was far more excited about Clark at the time than I am now about Dawes, I'll give Neeld's judgment the benefit of doubt and start getting mildly excited about how he's transforming this playing list.

• Like 7

It would be interesting to know Stef Martins market worth, whether the Pies would be interested, and whether he would save our pick 20 from being used.

I'm a huge wrap for Martin as a #1 ruckman. So much so I'd nearly have been tempted to play him as such over Jamar. Has similiar attributes to Nic Nat without the offensive instinct but able to play in the back half better.

If he was on the table, a little worried we would regret losing him.

• Like 1

Nic Nat is a contested ball monster who loves physical contact. Would say the same about Martin?

He competes when the ball hits the deck after a ball up quite well. Obviously can't win his own ball like Nic Nat. Similiar athletic capabilities however. Have seen him run around and away from midfielders. He picks up a decent amount of possies around the ground as well. I also like how on a couple of occasions in tight matches he seems to lift and really contribute. Obviously he is not the same player as Nic Nat but he is closer to a Nic Nat than a Sam Jacobs

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Free agency compo for Rivers could end up being pick 27 though...

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know Stef Martins market worth, whether the Pies would be interested, and whether he would save our pick 20 from being used.

I'm a huge wrap for Martin as a #1 ruckman. So much so I'd nearly have been tempted to play him as such over Jamar. Has similiar attributes to Nic Nat without the offensive instinct but able to play in the back half better.

If he was on the table, a little worried we would regret losing him.

I also like Martin certainly worth giving him a specific role and let him grow into it and develop.Another victim of Demons poor development culture

We may be surpised how good he can become

I really hope they keep him

My biggest issue is that I was expecting us to draft 3 (hopefully) gun mids in the first round and now at best that looks like being two. But if Trengove steps up to be the player we all expected then that will go a long way to solving our midfield woes.

'Ben', I would have liked to pick up the 3 mids as well but we may be better off than we think as we also have Taggert who showed some promise in his limited time on field with Casey so he will be like a new recruit next season.

'Ben', I would have liked to pick up the 3 mids as well but we may be better off than we think as we also have Taggert who showed some promise in his limited time on field with Casey so he will be like a new recruit next season.

And don't forget that Couch is no slouch.

Edited by hardtack

We must consider that part of what Neeld is planning to do is replace some of the lost balance of experience in the list. This brings hardened bodies and a change in the leadership culture.

We have lost Moloney, Junior, Bruce, Green, Rivers? over the last couple of years.

We now have Clarke, Byrnes, Dawes, Ray? coming in to set the example and provide real experience and leadership.

Dawes has a lot to offer our club more than just the onfield stuff.

It amazes me how some people are acting like we should have got Buddy or someone....

We have maximised our position to the fullest and should be really pleased with giving ourselves some chance of being more competitive next year.

• Like 5