FAREWELL STEFAN MARTIN - SEPTEMBER 2012

Guest Rassilon

I would like to see melbourne play Stef in one position for awhile other than ruck and let him learn it. I believe he has the talent now he needs the training in how to play a ONE role, as a tall mobile forward who can push up to the wing he can drag a tall lumbering backman after him and give Mitch and the crumbers a bit more room. I recall Jamar took awhile to get himself into playing decent football.

If Collingwod are as interested in him as has been suggested I would love to know what they have in mind for him.

At Melb no one has been able to work out how his unique talents can be exploited and what role he should play. IMO he needs outside the box treatment. He should be an onballer with licence to go third man up and block with his size. And he will find a lot of the ball. His disposle is slick and quick close in.

I recall the game this Year when Jamar hurt his Ankle early and Stefan had to ruck alone for rest of the game. I saw the replay and Mick Malhouse was quite critical of him and offered plenty of advice. I got the impression Mick would love to have him under his wing and relish the challenge to make him a great fotballer.

Are you saying the Blues are making a play for him?

The best use for Stef is as a roving CHF/2nd ruck. He is more than happy to crash packs and his speed and agility make him very hard for a traditional tall defender to match on the ground. He has occasionally shown glimpses of being able to play this role perfectly, but it has never been consistent. I would love to see him stay at the club and master this role to vindicate the time and effort we put into him, but right now I think he has gone about as far with us as he can and it would be to the benefit of both parties for him to move to a new environment and see if they can get him to take the next step.

If we can get a positive trade for Martin, the I'd be very happy.

He is a talent tease but doesn't give a proper contest when we need it most. He is a second ruck, but doesn't give a decent contest up forward. He can do the sort of thing s that an athletically gifted player can do, but can't do the simple things that a proper forward should do. He doesn't provide a contest and can't bring the ball to the ground. If someone else see value then I'd be pretty happy.

• Like 2

Posters are beating the club up over a player who has shown no improvement for 5 or 6 years.

I hope he gets traded - he is an average VFA player.

Im not beating the club up.

We must know more about him than anyone else Mick included and probably know more of him than some untried draft pick. Its why I would support the club if we go Dawes (I'm not really convinced by a collingwood hasbeen but Neeld would know more about him than most so I would be satisfied.)

I do think we need to display our professional approach to maybe getting the most out of the abilities and capacities we have and as others have noted with the swans assigning roles to match those abilities.

I think there is much Martin can provide esp as an insurance policy which he has provided when Jamar went down. He can ruck alone and can provide an alternative structure against some sides when Jamar etc need some recovery.

As I said I would hate to see him used against us by another club who was able to get more from him than we can as that only exhibits a deeper weakness in our club. I would hope again as said earlier that Neeld takes it as an incentive that others (particularly MM) see a potential in him and gets an even greater output to build on our already significant development investment.

Im not beating the club up.

We must know more about him than anyone else Mick included and probably know more of him than some untried draft pick. Its why I would support the club if we go Dawes (I'm not really convinced by a collingwood hasbeen but Neeld would know more about him than most so I would be satisfied.)

I do think we need to display our professional approach to maybe getting the most out of the abilities and capacities we have and as others have noted with the swans assigning roles to match those abilities.

I think there is much Martin can provide esp as an insurance policy which he has provided when Jamar went down. He can ruck alone and can provide an alternative structure against some sides when Jamar etc need some recovery.

As I said I would hate to see him used against us by another club who was able to get more from him than we can as that only exhibits a deeper weakness in our club. I would hope again as said earlier that Neeld takes it as an incentive that others (particularly MM) see a potential in him and gets an even greater output to build on our already significant development investment.

I think there are better insurance policies on the list already. There's been no output since he joined the Club. I don't rate his so called 'break out year'. He made so many mistakes with his possessions, he was a liability. If he becomes part of the Dawes' deal, so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

rumour floating..

martin to Lions for 33

just a rumour :)

Rumour floating that Stef has been late to training this year on many occassions.

Where he thinks he is going with that medical degree has got me baffled.

If he pulls out the finger and gets 200 games under his belt he is a certainty for a soft media job.

Beats lancing boils .

Rumour floating that Stef has been late to training this year on many occassions.

Where he thinks he is going with that medical degree has got me baffled.

If he pulls out the finger and gets 200 games under his belt he is a certainty for a soft media job.

Beats lancing boils .

Think it's law that he's studying.

Think it's law that he's studying.

Yeah-I knew he had a six year sentence.

Thats actually worse.

They'll work him 24/7 and he'll be low on the food chain at most firms coming in as a mature age Solicitor.

Guest KingDingAling

Thats actually worse.

They'll work him 24/7 and he'll be low on the food chain at most firms coming in as a mature age Solicitor.

Dawes might be able to give him a hand.

Thats actually worse.

An expensive sentence too... Is he studying at Melbourne Uni or did I just make that up?

Dawes might be able to give him a hand.

A hand up or a hand out?

Getting out of Carlton in peak hour takes an hour.

Maybe they should ride a bike to training for the extra cardio.

• Like 1

I can't see the picks we have left being enough to secure both of Ray and Pedersen, so if we want them both then Martin will be moved on for extra currency.

So he is gone, and I wish him all the best.

I can only see him staying if a deal falls through. Already being excess (remember Dawes takes away the need for him to rest forward) if he needs to be used as barter I am fine with that.

So whoever wants Martin can pay us something that can get this thing done and we all move on. Clinical like. No tears. Thanks for the memories

Im curoius a bout this rumour of Brissies 24 for martin and gys.

Its the pick 24...where does this fit into things.. thats seems mighty high for us to on trade, well considering whom we've been tracking .

curious

Im curoius a bout this rumour of Brissies 24 for martin and gys.

Its the pick 24...where does this fit into things.. thats seems mighty high for us to on trade, well considering whom we've been tracking .

curious

I would imagine if we secured 24 in a deal we would keep it. That would mean, unless we do another player deal, North give Pedersen for 49 or it's off. As for Ray it could take another player swap to get done.

I would imagine if we secured 24 in a deal we would keep it. That would mean, unless we do another player deal, North give Pedersen for 49 or it's off. As for Ray it could take another player swap to get done.

I agree the 24 looked very much the keeper.

if this was essentially an aside to garnering Redersen and ray I wouldnt mind it so much. Trims the sails and reloads with a hit in the draft. I dont hink Neeld is that adverse to it either. In so much as hes seen what we have and might be happy to do a bit of spring cleaning. He'd already have plugged many a hole and gets to have a free shot at another quality kid.

I actually quite like this scenario. Make it happen football gods !!

Thats actually worse.

Yeah, having a law degree and a mountain of coin at 25 will really put him behind in life.

• Like 4