Ratten pulls out of Port Coaching job

Dee Fan

I'd be really happy for Neale if he got the job, he did a good job for us while he was while he was here.

Ah, the old rose coloured rear view mirror ;-)

I was under the impression that it was ND who began the whole softening process that Bails admirably took on and perfected, leaving Neeld with the basket case that is the MFC today.

• Like 1

I doubt its worth it.

He has a avoided the senior job with one basket case. Why would he take a lesser role at another basket case?

Thats a very sage thought. I think that would apply to how attractive MFC is to potential midfield coaches. Given the crud cattle we have why would anyone willingly take on a death sentence?

That's of course if you consider Melbourne a basket case. Perhaps he can look forward and see that we'll have a few more mids to work with after the next draft including Viney and probably Toumpas.

Port are in trouble, they have no supporters and no cash, the AFL should have realised that in Adelaide you either love, or hate them and there's a lot of hate over there.

Their turn to feel like theyre the great "unloved"

Nice its not us for a change

• Like 1

so we should just give up now hey Rhino....

?????

Another meaningful insight or did you miss the point again?

That's of course if you consider Melbourne a basket case. Perhaps he can look forward and see that we'll have a few more mids to work with after the next draft including Viney and probably Toumpas.

Port are in trouble, they have no supporters and no cash, the AFL should have realised that in Adelaide you either love, or hate them and there's a lot of hate over there.

MFC isnt a basket case?? Its doing a very good imitation of it. If Ratten can predict draft outcomes then he is something special. At the moment our midfield is 3rd world, our game plan unresolved and uncompetitive and our head coach that is unproven.

FWIW, MFC are not in a much better position than Port. And your comments on Port could easily apply to MFC.

Port have had quite a few major issues and events that could also see it put in the too hard basket, which many in the media industry (FWIW) have put us in. While not parallel, there are current similarities with Port to MFC of the last 12-18 mths.

Low on cash

Low membership

No coach and assistants on thin ice

Struggling to keep star players (but Boak re-signed)

Death of someone within the club

Low on ladder

Add the AFL taking over their licence from the SA State comp.

Port have not yet had the type of scrutiny that Neeld received this year, or events out of the blue, such as LJs court case or the Energy Watch debacle. However, my point is that these things add up to destabalise a club significantly and high quality coaches, players and administrators may be very reluctant to join up.

• Like 1

Surprised Mark Harvey is not being discussed (well not that I have seen).

Have heard his name thrown around, just not on DL.... one of few options left.

Other one i heard on SEN last night/this morning was Nathan Basset best coach outside the AFL apparently, doing wonders at Norwood or somewhere and linked to Hawthorn for a senior assistants position also....

?????

Another meaningful insight or did you miss the point again?

MFC isnt a basket case?? Its doing a very good imitation of it. If Ratten can predict draft outcomes then he is something special. At the moment our midfield is 3rd world, our game plan unresolved and uncompetitive and our head coach that is unproven.

FWIW, MFC are not in a much better position than Port. And your comments on Port could easily apply to MFC.

I don't think were a basket case at all, our finances are good, our coaching set up seems to be good, we have some good people there, we have several picks in the first 20 coming up in the next draft and we are clearing out the deadwood that has hung around our neck for years.

Our supporter base is holding, despite our poor performance and we seem to have some resolve amongst the players to improve performance and win a flag.

There will be natural improvement in the players we have and a few of our newer players have shown some good signs.

If you can't see it then I guess all I can say is wait and see.

• Like 1

I don't think were a basket case at all, our finances are good, our coaching set up seems to be good, we have some good people there, we have several picks in the first 20 coming up in the next draft and we are clearing out the deadwood that has hung around our neck for years.

Our supporter base is holding, despite our poor performance and we seem to have some resolve amongst the players to improve performance and win a flag.

There will be natural improvement in the players we have and a few of our newer players have shown some good signs.

I think you are right Robbie,

previously we just did the give them time and games thing, and the stock up on high picks thing, which got us some "talent"

But now Neeld and co are doing the , train hard "thing", and the elite compliance "thing", you only play if you are good enough "thing"

Also the fact that we now have a serious coaching department which we have never had tbh

The main part is gettin grid of people who dont want to work hard enough, and replacing them with people who are hungry for a chance

Guest fitness

It certainly seemed odd to me that Ratten pulled out of the race after only recently expressing his strong desire to go for the job... this article quoting Warren Tredrea certainly sheds some interesting light on the matter (as well as eluding to the fact that Eade may still be in contention).

"My understanding is he (Ratten) did a presentation that may not have been so impressive," Tredrea said.

"So he is sitting there thinking `well, I'm getting out of the race before I'm seen as sorry, you're not good enough'".

It certainly seemed odd to me that Ratten pulled out of the race after only recently expressing his strong desire to go for the job... this article quoting Warren Tredrea certainly sheds some interesting light on the matter (as well as eluding to the fact that Eade may still be in contention).

"My understanding is he (Ratten) did a presentation that may not have been so impressive," Tredrea said.

"So he is sitting there thinking `well, I'm getting out of the race before I'm seen as sorry, you're not good enough'".

Hard to know what to believe, is Tredrea doing the same thing so that Port dont look like a shambles and a basket case?

Put something out their suggesting we didnt pick him through someone not 100% connected to our view? but linked to the club?

MFC are financially better than we were in the past 5 years but we are not flush. The collapse of Energy Watch just highlights how vulnerable we are to a hit to the finances.

Over the past 4 years we have had a a welter of valuable picks and have squandered many of them (eg Cook, Morton, Gysberts, possibly Blease and Strauss).

The test for our supporter base happens next year. The crud served up this year is going to test membership numbers.

And aside from Jones, Tommy Mac and a couple of others, I didnt see any natural improvement in the rest. But the hope is that how can some of them get worse??

All you got is hope for the fuure of the basket case and not much else. I hope you are right.

Nevertheless, its hardly an attractive package for a front line coach like Ratten to take a deputy role.

Good Luck Leon..you will need all the love you can find

About as much as the next MFC midfield coach will need.

Port Adelaide are in a world of pain compared to the MFC

And the MFC is not well...But we will recover, as long as we do not F#$% up this next draft...

Those in charge of Recruiting must get it right 100%

MFC are financially better than we were in the past 5 years but we are not flush. The collapse of Energy Watch just highlights how vulnerable we are to a hit to the finances.

Over the past 4 years we have had a a welter of valuable picks and have squandered many of them (eg Cook, Morton, Gysberts, possibly Blease and Strauss).

The test for our supporter base happens next year. The crud served up this year is going to test membership numbers.

And aside from Jones, Tommy Mac and a couple of others, I didnt see any natural improvement in the rest. But the hope is that how can some of them get worse??

All you got is hope for the fuure of the basket case and not much else. I hope you are right.

Nevertheless, its hardly an attractive package for a front line coach like Ratten to take a deputy role.

We replaced Energy Watch with two sponsors and whilst I'd bet we aren't getting the same:

1) Energy Watch was a false hope and we were never going to get, nor did we deserve that level of sponsorship.

2) We now have two sponsors so if we lose one the blow won't be as severe and we have time to source other sponsors over the next 12 months if we aren't sure of either continuing.

We no longer have Barry Prendegast so I expect our level of recruiting to improve dramatically.

We will need to show early on that we have and will improve to hold or improve our membership, that's a given.

I think several players showed they have the ability to go further, I thought that Grimes got better as the year went on and I would expect that Mitch will help when he gets back on the park. Howe did quite well and will do better, Dunn showed some good form at the end of the year, Sylvia played his best football in the second half of the year, Magner was good and I reckon he'll get better, Sellar showed he could hold down a spot in the backline. Players like Frawley, Garland and Trengove will be better next year when their injuries are under control. Blease started to show some of what he can do Strauss was injured but I believe he will do alright next year. Jamar will be back next year, that will help our midfield and with Viney in the mix as well it will start to look batter.

There were times during the year we showed some form and we need to improve on that and be a bit more consistent; if we do we can win some games.

Port are a basket case, we aren't and as much as some of the doomsayers would like to think so, we will get stronger over the next few years not extinct.

As a moderator on a Melbourne supporter site, you have an interesting view of the club.

• Like 2

Actually, I think that the MFC midfield coaching position is a very attractive position for a new coach (and I tend to think that they will go with someone new, if and when it happens).

The reason it is attractive is this: on the one hand, it is coming from a low level, and on the other hand, there will be an injection of new players and resources. So if you are an ambitious new coach, you have an opportunity to make some rapid, demonstrable progress.

Think about your own field or work: would you take on a new role if you felt that you couldn't make some progress/improvements? Or would you take a new role where you could see some big improvement could be made in a relatively short period of time?

• Like 1

We replaced Energy Watch with two sponsors and whilst I'd bet we aren't getting the same:

1) Energy Watch was a false hope and we were never going to get, nor did we deserve that level of sponsorship.

2) We now have two sponsors so if we lose one the blow won't be as severe and we have time to source other sponsors over the next 12 months if we aren't sure of either continuing.

We have had a history of poor sponsorship. And as you rightly pointed out we are getting less from two sponsors. Both are on short term contracts...only adds to the concerns. Whether we lose one or both we struggle to refill spots and the impact to our stretched budget is significant.What we have shown on and off the field in past 12 -24 months is not that appealing to sponsors

We no longer have Barry Prendegast so I expect our level of recruiting to improve dramatically.

I have questions about BBBPs predecessor before Cameron as well as BBBP. You are tugging hope to expect we will get it right. I hope you are right. It will take 3 to 5 years to find out.

We will need to show early on that we have and will improve to hold or improve our membership, that's a given.

After the crud we have serve this year and crap over the past 5 years I believe we will struggle significantly to reach 2012 membership numbers. A few early results in 2013 will hope stem the outflow. We need to increase membership not just hold numbers. Another issue of financial concern.

I think several players showed they have the ability to go further, I thought that Grimes got better as the year went on and I would expect that Mitch will help when he gets back on the park. Howe did quite well and will do better, Dunn showed some good form at the end of the year, Sylvia played his best football in the second half of the year, Magner was good and I reckon he'll get better, Sellar showed he could hold down a spot in the backline. Players like Frawley, Garland and Trengove will be better next year when their injuries are under control. Blease started to show some of what he can do Strauss was injured but I believe he will do alright next year. Jamar will be back next year, that will help our midfield and with Viney in the mix as well it will start to look batter.

There were times during the year we showed some form and we need to improve on that and be a bit more consistent; if we do we can win some games.

Robbie I like the way you throw money at the Club regardless of the situation. Thanks for your support. But your glossing of players like Dunn, Magner and Sellar fills me with dread. If MFC are to improve and challenge the top 8 the improvement aint going to come from NQRs, tweeners and blow hards. Our performance this year was appalling. You can roll a proverbial in glitter all you like but we went backwards in 2012 from 2011. Unless the coaches and players realise this and do more than cute videos we are screwed. And FWIW I hope you are right about Grimes, Trengove, Blease and Strauss. I note you have not mentioned Watts. I am worried that the draft of 2008 could be our biggest issue. It will be the 5 year of AFL for Watts, Blease, Strauss and Jetta. We need to get more from them. Its now in 2013. But again its about hope.

Port are a basket case, we aren't and as much as some of the doomsayers would like to think so, we will get stronger over the next few years not extinct.

You have not put a convincing case beyond hope why we are much better than Port.

As a moderator on a Melbourne supporter site, you have an interesting view of the club.

My position as moderator is irrelevant to my view on the Club unless you mistakingly believe that it is a "cheer up chaps its all going to bonzer" role.

If Ratten is a plug in toaster then I would see it as an opportunity.

But I am stumped why Ratten would take a step down role in an underresourced club, where he has had experience at (and did not like) and where currently there is a lack of talent in the midfield.

Actually, I think that the MFC midfield coaching position is a very attractive position for a new coach (and I tend to think that they will go with someone new, if and when it happens).

The reason it is attractive is this: on the one hand, it is coming from a low level, and on the other hand, there will be an injection of new players and resources. So if you are an ambitious new coach, you have an opportunity to make some rapid, demonstrable progress.

We dont have the cattle and we need to get the cattle in this draft. They will take 3 to 5 years to mature if we get it right. MFC have a history not doing so.

I dont think MFC is an attractive proposition relative to other Clubs if you can take the red and blue goggles off.

And I am non plussed why an experience midfield coach cannot achieve the same or more than a freshie? And given the relative inexperience of our overall coaching panel, I would have thought an experienced midfield coach should be better.

Think about your own field or work: would you take on a new role if you felt that you couldn't make some progress/improvements? Or would you take a new role where you could see some big improvement could be made in a relatively short period of time?

I would only take a role within an organisation that reflected the culture, the key senior people (eg Board, coach and FD), the product (players) and hopefully some track record to achieve successful outcomes.

I would not call MFC an employer of choice. I think a number of players, FD potentials and CEO potentials have expressed a similar view nowithstanding big money being thrown at them.

• Like 1

Ah, the old rose coloured rear view mirror ;-)

I was under the impression that it was ND who began the whole softening process that Bails admirably took on and perfected, leaving Neeld with the basket case that is the MFC today.

My two biggest issues with Daniher was that he didn't turn the list over nearly enough and that our game-plan was poor defensivley. He did well with terrible funding and crap facilities.