Tantalising Finals Series

titan_uranus

With Sydney winning today, there is now a chance for the Preliminary Finals to be Hawthorn v Geelong and either Sydney v West Coast or Sydney v Collingwood.

Any of those games would be rippers. Hawthorn v Geelong as a Preliminary Final is insane; Hawthorn's only real threat in the finals. And Sydney's only threat at home is Collingwood. Although there's talk that the Prelim will have to be held at the SCG for scheduling reasons, which gives Sydney a huge advantage.

I'm certainly tipping a Hawthorn-Sydney GF, which I think is the best reflection of the year. Adelaide just aren't as good as the other top 4 sides (and are as good a chance as any side has been in the last 10 years to be knocked out of the finals in straight sets, given they're most likely to get Geelong next week.)

Whatever happens, though, the remaining finals are all really really exciting, and the standard has been high so far even if the margins have been a big large.

• Like 1

A Hawthorn v Sydney GF would be fantastic... Hawks with their pinpoint kicking skills and the Swans with their unbelievably tight marking... will be a close run thing.

What about Freo vs Geelong? I told everyone loudly at work this week that Freo would roll them, but wimped out when it came to putting my money where my mouth was. Just when Geelong started to look like they're back in it, Freo power away again. Can't believe what a series we've been treated to so far.

As good as a Hawthorn-Geelong preliminary final would have been, I can't deny that I'm happy they lost tonight. They've been great the last 6 years, but I'm happy for their time as a dominant side to end, and this hopefully caps off their era of dominance.

As long as the pies go out in straight sets I don't really care.

That would be bliss. And not without hope, either. I reckon West Coast is hitting some form right now, despite losing to Hawthorn. They should deal with North tomorrow, and they did Collingwood over a fortnight ago, all over the ground. So Collingwood wouldn't be certainties to win that, if they got them. Nor would they be certainties to beat North, if they get North.

As long as the pies go out in straight sets I don't really care.

I hope they are in front at the final siren in the GF.

Then watch Goodes spiral one through for a goal from 65 metres out to snatch it.

Swans by a point.

Collingwood suicides all round.

I hope they are in front at the final siren in the GF.

Then watch Goodes spiral one through for a goal from 65 metres out to snatch it.

Swans by a point.

Collingwood suicides all round.

Unfortunately can't happen. Collingwood has to play Sydney in the Preliminary (if Collingwood beat West Coast/North).

Might be Franklin, Walker, or Pavlich who sinks that goal. But it won't be Goodes.

And whilst I agree with your sentiment, I doubt I'd be able to watch the kick, having to tolerate Collingwood in a GF, let alone leading it, will be tough enough.

The Hawks will be very relieved to see Geelong bomb out as they have had the wood on them for quite some time.

• Like 1

Go the Bloods!

Anyone but Hawthorn or Collingwood.

Gotta love the way the Swans do it every year.

Would love to see them get their third .

While watching these games I could only marvel at the intensity and skill...

....then wondered that even if we make the finals in the next few years how long before we actually win one...4 or 5 years maybe..I shudder at the thought...obviously the dark clouds are hovering this morning

While watching these games I could only marvel at the intensity and skill...

....then wondered that even if we make the finals in the next few years how long before we actually win one...4 or 5 years maybe..I shudder at the thought...obviously the dark clouds are hovering this morning

I wonder if Adelaide supporters wondered the same thing just last year, watching the finals series.

Now they're in the thick of it.

I'm not suggesting we're just going to turn things around and make finals next year (we won't. Obviously), but there is always hope.

Watching the Eagles dominate against North right now. Every time Nik Nat or Darling do something good I think 'that'll send D'Land into a tail spin about our recruiting'.

They look red hot.

Which Poll wil Rangey 'bump' 1st the NikNat or Darling thread??

In saying the geebus good lord bloody christ Darling is a monster... onwards and upwards but him at the Dee's.

Watching the Eagles dominate against North right now. Every time Nik Nat or Darling do something good I think 'that'll send D'Land into a tail spin about our recruiting'.

They look red hot.

Which Poll wil Rangey 'bump' 1st the NikNat or Darling thread??

In saying the geebus good lord bloody christ Darling is a monster... onwards and upwards but him at the Dee's.

I know they are killing the opposition, but they are playing in a very good team, which they wouldn't be at Melbourne.

I wonder if Adelaide supporters wondered the same thing just last year, watching the finals series.

Now they're in the thick of it.

I'm not suggesting we're just going to turn things around and make finals next year (we won't. Obviously), but there is always hope.

Hope is what always brings me back each footy year. The finals this year are just awesome. Look forward to when we get there.

WC will beat the Pies I reckon.

I think that's a chance too. Smashed them only two weeks ago, killed them in the ruck, and their forward line is menacing (Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, Hill). Without Maxwell they'll struggle to contain all four.

Their defence with McKenzie back is a lot better too.

That'd be so awesome. Collingwood out in straight sets, and then Sydney-West Coast Prelim.

Would not be surprised if Maxwell got off...

WC/Magpies also played a classic at the G earlier this year. Can see it being a good game.

I share a similar sinking feeling, but he deserves 3 weeks or so. Well off the ball, goes to block, hits him in the head. Worse than Steve Johnson, who got weeks.