Team Needs

Number 2

looking at a potential round 1, 2013 team you can almost pin point where the footy department will be focusing their attention.

I think we will see something like the below side for round 1 2013...

Back: Nicholson, Frawley, Garland

Grimes, T.McDonald, (new)

3 talls (Chip, Garland & TMac) that can also rebound, lock down small (Nicholson) & two rebound defenders (Grimes & newcomer)

Mids: Jamar, Trengove, Jones

Blease, McKenzie, Bail

Ruck (Jamar), defensive mid (Jordie), top line mids (Trengove & Jones), outside run (Blease & Bail)

Fwds: Howe, Watts, Tapscott

Fitzpatrick, Clark, (new)

Tapscott in a Paul Chapman type role, Howe & Watts lead up targets - pushing up towards half back, Clark as deep tall target, Fitzpatrick as a 2nd tall forward unless one is recruited & the newcomer = crumbing/defensive forward.

Inter: (new), (existing), (new), (existing)

Interchange is selected from the existing list (below) and from our new recruits.

That's 4 new players into the potential best 22 and 2 new players into the best 18.

So... what can we get for players that aren't in the proposed best 18 at the start of 2013?

• Bartram
  • Bate
  • Bennell
  • Cook - gone
  • Davey
  • Davis
  • Dunn
  • Gawn – has trade value
  • Green - retired
  • Gysberts – has trade value
  • Jetta
  • Jurrah - gone
  • Macdonald
  • Martin – has trade value
  • Moloney – gone
  • Morton
  • Petterd – has trade value
  • Rivers – unrestricted free agent (no trade value because of this)
  • Sellar
  • Spencer – has trade value
  • Strauss – has trade value
  • Sylvia – has trade value
  • Taggert
  • Tynan

Based on this I would think we would be looking at midfielders, a running defender and a crumbing/defensive forward via the draft, trade or free agency. The question is can we use our trade assets to improve our list?

We can debate the above side but I think Neeldy has pretty much shown his cards this season and we know where our players fit in his plans.

Thoughts?

Edited by Whispering_Jack

looking at a potential round 1, 2013 team you can almost pin point where the footy department will be focusing their attention.

3 talls (Chip, Garland & TMac) that can also rebound, lock down small (Nicholson) & two rebound defenders (Grimes & newcomer)

Mids: Jamar, Trengove, (new)

Blease, McKenzie, Bail

Ruck (Jamar), defensive mid (Jordie), top line mids (Trengove & Newcomer), outside run (Blease & Bail)

Tapscott in a Paul Chapman type role, Howe & Watts lead up targets - pushing up towards half back, Clark as deep tall target, Fitzpatrick as a 2nd tall forward unless one is recruited & the newcomer = crumbing/defensive forward.

Interchange is selected from the existing list (below) and from our new recruits.

That's 5 new players into the potential best 22 and 3 new players into the best 18.

So... what can we get for players that aren't in the proposed best 18 at the start of 2013?

• Bartram
  • Bate
  • Bennell
  • Cook - gone
  • Davey
  • Davis
  • Dunn
  • Gawn – has trade value
  • Green - retired
  • Jetta
  • Jurrah - gone
  • Macdonald
  • Moloney – gone
  • Morton
  • Sellar
  • Taggert
  • Tynan

Based on this I would think we would be looking at midfielders, a running defender and a crumbing/defensive forward via the draft, trade or free agency. The question is can we use our trade assets to improve our list?

We can debate the above side but I think Neeldy has pretty much shown his cards this season and we know where our players fit in his plans.

Thoughts?

Jones not in the team at all?? :o

If I was picking the best 18 he would be in because he is a huge talent. I've simply selected on the basis of what I have witnessed over this season.

I just think we've been given a glimpse that suggests he'll be in the mix for the 22 but not in the best 18 moving forward. Dropped, disciplined etc.

This is my point, If the club doesn't think he is in the 18 we must get value for him.

Jones not in the team at all?? :o

editted - terrible error of my behalf.

I had Grimes as a mid & a half back and wound up deleting Jones from the mids by mistake.

This means 4 new players could be in the team at round 1, 2013.

editted - terrible error of my behalf.

I had Grimes as a mid & a half back and wound up deleting Jones from the mids by mistake.

This means 4 new players could be in the team at round 1, 2013.

If there are only 4 then we are in for a very long season again.

• Like 1

Are we any chance to Quinten Lynch for KPP?

he's only 192 cm but he's 103 kg and is an absolute tank! watching his highlight reel and monsters a lot of his opponents.

hes 29 and a Free agent - maybe a 2 year deal. Would give any kids that we draft time to mature

not sure of his physical state though...

Does any one think he'll be a good fit?

agree rjay.

I reckon we have been given an indication that 16 names selected above and listed below are going to be part of the future. I reckon the 16 are in that round 1 line-up, 2 from the carry over list will make the grade for round 1, 2013 aswell. That means that only 4 newcomers will be in there - it doesn't sound like the sweeping change some are hoping for.

1. Nicholson - has been given rolls on dangerous smalls, looks to be the preferred small defender
  2. Frawley - tall key defender
  3. Garland - tall key defender (versatile)
  4. McDonald - developing tall key defender
  5. Grimes - rebounding half back
  6. Jamar - ruck
  7. Trengove - mid
  8. Jones - mid
  9. McKenzie - defensive mid
  10. Blease - speed mid
  11. Bail - wing/mid
  12. Howe - Half forward
  13. Watts - Half forward
  14. Tapscott - Half forward
  15. Fitzpatrick - tall forward
  16. Clark - key forward

Here is what I think we need

Strauss Frawley Garland

Nicholson McDonald ****

Blease Sylvia Trengove

Watts ***** Howe

**** Clark *****

Jamar Jones Grimes

We need another tall forward, small forwards, an attacking HBF that can run with the footy and hit targets, Viney, some outside speed with skill.

Big priority is getting ball winners in our midfield, our base looks ok with Jones, Sylvia, Grimes, Trengove and Blease, add Viney and some more ball carriers. We need to start winning more inside 50m counts, no point stocking the forward line if we can't get it in there enough.

• Like 1

Sylvia not in best 18?

That would defend entirely on which Colin Sylvia you are referring to. The late 2012 one or the earlier versions?

Backs- *tynan* mcdonald garland

*new* frawley *sheehan*

mcdonald, frawley take the big boys

garland, tynan mid size/smalls

*sheehan*, *new* rebounders (sheehans a roughy but you dont win the falcons bnf if youre no good)

Mids- grimes mckenzie trengove

jamar *viney* jones

mckenzie tagging

*viney*, jones extracting

grimes, trengove delivering

Forwards- blease watts howe

*new* clark sylvia

watts, howe, sylvia roaming/ leading up to the wings

clark inside 50

*new* and blease crumbing

Bench- *taggert*, nicholson, *williams*, *new*

Midfield rotators- *tynan*, *new def*, both captain jacks, blease, howe, *new fwd*, sylvia, *taggert*, nicholson, *new int*

Needs (silky skilled, quick and accurate disposls implied)-

1. Crumbing fwd, not just short and fast also genuine reader of the ball off packs and can snap the odd miracle

2. Rebounding defender who can play through the midfield at times

3. Midfielders midfielders midfielders, the more of those speedy little buggers the better

4. The ** players currently on the list to step up and from what i've seen and read they seem the likely ones on the list with both the skills AND desire to succeed ( no good having one without the other...wish i could put troy davis or jack fitzpatricks head on sylvia, watts or cooks body)

The order of the needs isn't necassarily the order we should draft as the quality mids are sure to go before small forwards

I've got 8 ** players...maybe being too charitable to the others

Guest Rassilon

Mids: Jamar, Trengove, Jones

Blease, McKenzie, Bail

Ruck (Jamar), defensive mid (Jordie), top line mids (Trengove & Jones), outside run (Blease & Bail)

That's 4 new players into the potential best 22 and 2 new players into the best 18.

• Bartram
  • Bate
  • Bennell
  • Cook - gone
  • Davey
  • Davis
  • Dunn
  • Gawn – has trade value
  • Green - retired
  • Jetta
  • Jurrah - gone
  • Macdonald
  • Moloney – gone
  • Morton
  • Sellar
  • Taggert
  • Tynan

Thoughts?

With all due respect too much of the same, not enough changes.

IMHO we need to focus in two key areas

1/ Player who can play the Mooney/Pods/Brown forward role.

2/ Clearance players that can win their own ball.

In order of need, our list requires the following to move forward:

- A classy quick skilled outside midfielder (Toumpas?)

- Another quick skilled outside midfielder (Kennedy?)

- A quick small crumbing forward (Garlett?)

- A Key forward to aid Clark (?)

- Another hard inside midfielder (Viney?)

Edited by Lord Travis

In order of need, our list requires the following to move forward:

- A classy quick skilled outside midfielder (Toumpas?)

- Another quick skilled outside midfielder (Kennedy?)

- A quick small crumbing forward (Garlett?)

- A Key forward to aid Clark (?)

- Another hard inside midfielder (Viney?)

yeah agree here... maybe instead of kennedy o'rourke? sounds like he's classy user of the ball and works hard? if we can get this draft right it would really help melbourne. Add in monfries or pearce and that would really add depth to our team. Provides experience coming in with monfries and pearce while hopefully adding players with huge potential in development. From the article from grimes... seems like the core group is keen to move forwards which really helps in player development.

Adding these players would allow us to increase depth meaning average players who work hard are replaced by better players: bail, jetta, dunn, strauss so far but hopefully he can develop because he has great kicking skills.

we have plenty of tall and mid size backman – and even ruck stocks are OK.

WHAT WE NEED

1- an absolute star and leader. : Brendan Goddard

2- mids, mids and mids

Free agent / Trade for: Mav Weller (Suns –trade for pick 13), Koby Stevens, Jed Lamb and Brett Meredith (Swans), Jarryd Lyons (crows),

Draft: Jack Viney ( a given), plus at least two of these players Jimmy Toumpas, Oliver Wines, Sam Mayes, Ben Kennedy, and Nick Vlastin.

3-small fwds

Free agent / Trade for: Shane Savage (hawks), Jared Moore (swans), Callum Bartlett (lions), Matthew Jaensch (crows)

Draft: Dayle Gartlett (WA), Chris Yarran (WA, pick 45 ish)

4-tall fwds

Free agent / Trade for: Aaron Cornelius (lions), Shaun Mckernan (Crows), Quinten Lynch (eagles)

Draft: Mason Shaw (WA), Kristian Jaksch

5- a half back quarterback

Free agent / Trade for: Jordan Russell (Blues)

Draft: Sam Colquohoun (SA)

If we have 10 spots available, I would aim for :

Mids x6, Small fwd x2, Tall fwd x1 and Half back quarterback x1

• Like 1