Brent Moloney Departing MFC

Dr. Mubutu

Firstly, thanks for the years of service, Brent. Best of luck for the future.

I'm in no position to comment on his standing within the club under Neeld and whether the two got along. To do so would be pure speculation on my part, so I'm not going there.

However, the writing has been on the wall for Moloney and we should've seen it coming. Moloney's agent has been publicly shopping him all year long. Neeld's comments of a couple of days ago re: Moloney struggling to adapt to the demands of the game circa 2012 did not bode well for Moloney's future at the club.

If he is struggling to adapt to the game as it is now played, I wonder about how many clubs will make a serious play for him and how successful he will be in the coming years. The game requires good disposal, versatility, strong defensive abilities and running capacity and he hasn't shown any of those traits this year. These things will be required at other clubs in order to get a game.

Lastly, if Moloney and others leaving the club is the result of Neeld cracking the whip and demanding high standards across the board, then I've got no problems with it. All successful coaches would crack the whip, in their own way. Neeld has his method, other coaches have theirs. We'll see in time whether Neeld's way brings success to the club, but for now I'm just happy with what's happening and excited to see what the off-season brings us.

• Like 4

F*#+ off Beamer. Couldn't care less. Absolute joke of a footballer

mate..Im quite happy for Beamer to go . I dont think hes part of our plans.

but a little bit more love huh :unsure:

The real 'absolute joke' is your bile

• Like 2

F*#+ off Beamer. Couldn't care less. Absolute joke of a footballer

I don't know who you are, but I suspect Brent got 19 more Brownlow votes than you did last year. If you happen to be Dane Swan, then I apologise.

• Like 7

We finally have a coach who is acting...... like a coach?

He needs to stand up and say something is wrong with the club when everyone else is sitting around doing the same old thing that obviously is not working.

We needed a coach to have the guts to get rid of players we do not need or get rid of the average player we are forever holding onto.

Bennell, Bartram, Couch and a couple of others will not make it so why bother keeping onto them when there might be a star player we can get our hands on?

We seriously need to act like a club that doesn't stand for average lazy players and become a club full of stars that work their ass's off!

• Like 1

Wish him all the best at his next club.

There shouldn't be any ill feeling I think; if Brent doesn't want to work hard or change etc, and Neeld doesn't want to accept that (which he shouldn't), he is better off out of the MFC. That is a win for us and a win for him, presuming he isn't told to change to much at his next club. Don't understand the hate.

Great bloke. Has bled red and blue for 6 years up until 2012. One bad year and he is gone.

Rewind to the end of 2012. B&F club champion. He spoke about how you can play for the club or ^&%#$% off.

How fickle we are? Is it a club ... or a business? Don't complain about Scully etc if you offload Beamer after one poor year. Aaron Davey has had 3 shockers !!!

He may well be a club champion but under another regime - IF the reason he has had such a poor season is that he doesn't like the demands of the new order then....bad luck...he should go.

One isn't a champion if one only plays under one's own conditions - a true champion does what is asked of him, whatever he feels about the orders!

• Like 1

Moloney isn't going to picked tonight and has played his last game at MFC... expect an announcement next week, week of semi finals at the latest..

Humble brag to myself when I called this last Thursday...

To all who say "source or gtfo" and stuff like that... If you ever had sources you would never say who they are... so just appreciate the fact that I have been posting a long time, not some first timer and do not have a history for making up rumours.

• Like 3

Dear Brent,

Thanks for your efforts up to 2011. Sorry 2012 didn't work out. Good luck where you end up.

Any player that wins the bluey should leave with dignity, and our respect.

Well said Buck_N

Its a new era at demonland - if we want to be sucessful as a club we need everyone pulling in the same direction - no passangers

Thanks Brett - much appreciated what you did for this club and all the best for the future! This club is going in a new direction - GO DEES

• Like 1

Guest bluey

This is getting rediculous, who was the last player to leave this club via their own steam, David Neitz , I think.

Maloney, Green, Bruce, Trav, Whitey, Oooze, Powelly, Junior, Woey, can't think of one decent player who hasn't left without a set of steak knives.

another disaster that is 100% Neelds fault. Moloney is a life long Melbourne supporter and for him to quit you know there are massive internal problems. He should have been made captain after winning the B & F but instead was dumped from the leadership group. The biggest insult is two boys who have played 30 games each were given the job over him. Moloney lost his confidence and he became a shaddow of himself on and off the field. The rest is history.

It is the coaches main task to get the most out of his players. Hallo this is why teams have coaches. Neeld does not get the most out of our players. Most of the list has gone several steps backwards under his rule.

Neeld must be fired. He is the biggest mistake the club has made since sacking Norm Smith. Neeld is a complete disaster. Anyone who suggests otherwise is seeing the world in rose colored glasses as the pain of the reality is too hard to take. Wake up and smell the coffee supporters of Neeld. Pretending something that is not, blind faith against reality will only end up making the disaster more damaging.

I beg the board. Please fire this joke of a coach.

Did you read what you wrote before hitting 'post'? Seriously? Do you really believe this or are you taking some medication that's not agreeing with you?

Neeld is doing exactly the job he was hired to do. Do you seriously think he's acting alone here. I'm sure he has the full support of the board so appealing to them ain't gonna do you no good. We need to be prepared to suffer a little pain in order to build a club culture that will ensure more success than we've had in recent times. We need to start building the toughness that will enable us to hold our heads up when challenged by teams like Hawthorn and Geelong instead of capitulating when it gets too hard. Keep it coming Neeldy. Toughen them up and let them know they're playing for a club with pride in performance. Nothing else matters.

• Like 3

Sad to see him go. Loved his passion, loved his anger, and 2011 was a standout year, proving he can play well at AFL level. Jamar to Beamer was poetry at times.

It is clear that the type of football expected by Neeld does not co-operate with Beamer's natural footy style and so the separation is necessary.

All the best, Beamer and I hope you find a new club.

• Like 4

This is getting rediculous, who was the last player to leave this club via their own steam, David Neitz , I think.

Maloney, Green, Bruce, Trav, Whitey, Oooze, Powelly, Junior, Woey, can't think of one decent player who hasn't left without a set of steak knives.

Footy is a cut throat enviroment - there aren't too many fairy tales out there (i guess again that is what makes Big Jimma such a special story)

I agree that players should be treated with respect - but unfortunately on field is as much of a business as the off field funding

By the way Powell choose to leave for more money!

Edited by Unleash Hell

I think I disagree with you - I usually do - but this time I'm not even sure what you're saying. Could you write this again so it makes sense?

I dont think that Brent's leaving is necessarily a sign that he wasnt working hard enough. From what has been said it might just be that Brent and Neeld have very different views about how to play footy and its a mutual disagreement.

Neeld could well be wrong on all of this, but we have no choice but to allow him to make hard decisions to revive the club which is still languishing in the hangover of the 186 defeat.

We just need to be careful that all these 'walk outs' dont make other players who might potentially come to the club less likely to come here.

• Like 2

Guest King Cuthbertson

Earlier in the year I mentioned that Mark Neeld had lost quite a few of the players early on, only to be howled down even though I have many contacts within the club including players & board members.

It was evident to me that Neeld, even though trying to do the right thing, fire & brimstone or whatever you want to call it, got players off side from day one. Now you can sit back and say "Well at least It'll weed out the players that don't want to be there". This may be true but what he forgot to do was earn his respect first. You must earn it before you can gain it.

His approach was not well received by quite a few players. People will also sit back and say "players just don't like him because they don't want to work hard". This is quite the opposite, I've talked to many players and all of them say they are loving the new elite performance regime with some saying that they dislike Neeld and his approach and how he deals with people. I know there are players who have signed on who dislike Neeld.

Whilst I personally think he is doing his best and trying to establish a tight bunch of hard nosed footballers, at the end of day its the players who can make you or break you and getting them offside is not a great start to a coaching career. This club seems to be going well off field but in circles on field, you cant just keep losing good quality experienced players at the drop of the hat. There will be more to follow.

I think Neeld would be a better football director & Neil Craig would be a better coach, but thats just my take. Anyway I wish him well & I hope that more than anything it works out well for him and the rest of us, we need to start winning games to create a better culture. One recognised win for the season is not enough, first year coach or not.

On Jurrah, I wish him well even though he should of handled it better, Ithink most could see the writing on the wall early so I dont see what the fuss is about, definetly a loss for sure along with Greeny & Beamer.

I dont post that often anymore & those of you that continually ask what my sources are, Im sorry but my lips are sealed. All the best Demon fans, Im off fishing & watching the cricket for the summer. Lets hope we pick up some rippers in the draft/trade.

So Neeld had to gain the respect of a group of players who somehow managed to lose a game of football by 186 points last year?? Really? Neeld took two dysfunctional and under achieving football clubs in Ocean Grove and the Western Jets U18's and turned them into successful clubs. In the case of Ocean Grove, they won 4 flags in a row. In the case of the Western Jets, they're a development program that's now producing top 10 draft picks and AFL quality juniors thanks in large part to the overhaul he made.

As far as i'm concerned, I could care less if he hasn't been well received by some players, because our on-field performances in the last 6 years have not been well received by myself and most other Melbourne supporters.

I'm willing to give Neeld the benefit of the doubt from all the things we know about him, and from the dysfunctional situation he was put into. He's undertaking a massive task, and if some players can't cope because their noses are out of joint, then they can find another coach who will be their mate, or failing that, perhaps get a real job.

• Like 9