Optimists only - let's dream

The Reverend

I'm very much looking forward to MFC 2012: The Musical, starring Dieter Brummer as Jack Watts, Rutger Hauer as Mark Neeld, Bert Newton as Don McLardy, Rick Moranis as Mike Sheahan and why you little as himself. Featuring beloved classics like 'I just can't wait to be competitive', 'Big Melbourne supporters don't cry', 'Hello, draft picks 3 and 4', 'Nic Naitanui: Superstar', and 'How do you solve a problem like Barry Prendergast?', MFC 2012: The Musical is a heart-warming spectacular that will charm children and adults alike. All proceeds from ticket sales to go to the 100% Melbourne fund.

• Like 5

I'm very much looking forward to MFC 2012: The Musical, starring Dieter Brummer as Jack Watts, Rutger Hauer as Mark Neeld, Bert Newton as Don McLardy, Rick Moranis as Mike Sheahan and why you little as himself. Featuring beloved classics like 'I just can't wait to be competitive', 'Big Melbourne supporters don't cry', 'Hello, draft picks 3 and 4', 'Nic Naitanui: Superstar', and 'How do you solve a problem like Barry Prendergast?', MFC 2012: The Musical is a heart-warming spectacular that will charm children and adults alike. All proceeds from ticket sales to go to the 100% Melbourne fund.

Mmmm, humour. I guess that's a form of optimism. Sometimes it's cathartic to have a laugh and put things into perspective. What about Meatloaf as the Fat Controller?

How are you optimists doing today??

All good in dream land??

Meanwhile I am waiting for another bombshell to befall the Demons sometime in the next week. No information of course its just a hunch but you know, we have been kicked a few times this year.

But, love your work guys keep it up.

All good in dream land??

Meanwhile I am waiting for another bombshell to befall the Demons sometime in the next week. No information of course its just a hunch but you know, we have been kicked a few times this year.

It's a fabulous place to be! It's a choice you make really. Yeah, it's been a long, disappointing season. It's been a long few years and we can choose to wallow in negativity and await the impending doom, or, we can live in "dream land" and maintain a positive attitude. None of history's great achievements came about through people adopting a defeatist attitude. The great advances have come from those brave enough to dream of the way things could be. You can say we're kidding ourselves and you may be right but once I reach the point where I can't see any sunshine on the horizon it'll be time for me to shuffle off because I'd hate to live without hope. Get on board. Lighten up. Out of adversity comes enlightenment and renewal. It's nature. Forests need to be burned out every now and then so they can regenerate and remain healthy. If you expect to be disappointed you'll get what you expected because you'll lose the ability to see the good things around you.

Hallelujah brother, I've seen the light! We're on our way to the promised land.

• Like 1

Guest Rassilon

All good in dream land??

Awesome the sun is shinning and we are looking forward to the challenges ahead. Every cloud has a silver lining.

brent moloney will be ending the show with "always look on the bright side of life"

• Like 2

Yeah, it's been a long, disappointing season. It's been a long few years and we can choose to wallow in negativity and await the impending doom, or, we can live in "dream land" and maintain a positive attitude. None of history's great achievements came about through people adopting a defeatist attitude. The great advances have come from those brave enough to dream of the way things could be. You can say we're kidding ourselves and you may be right but once I reach the point where I can't see any sunshine on the horizon it'll be time for me to shuffle off because I'd hate to live without hope.

Hallelujah brother, I've seen the light! We're on our way to the promised land.

I'll mention that to my Fitzroy buddies...

Excellent idea. I am happy to oblige.

"Release the hounds..."

• Like 1

Recently tweeted by the AFL that "Gillon McLachlan has confirmed that he will remain with the AFL (http://www.smh.com.a...0904-25c1c.html), resisting the lure of the NRL's CEO position", however, in the Sydney Morning Herald, there was an article by Roy Masters suggesting that the ARL should go after the Dimster...we can but hope (optimists of the world unite!) http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-demetriou-should-be-arls-target-20120904-25bgw.html

Edited by hardtack

Right, here's my shot -

LIST TRANSFORMATION

Four ready to go mids early in the draft (eg. Toumpas, Wines, Vlastuin, Viney)

A couple of state-league KPF late in the draft who at least can be counted on to provide a contest, like Luccon, Coleman or Duffy.

A collection of agile high-potential picks late and in the rookie draft, will with fun names as a bonus. Such as Irra, Raikiwasa, Tipungwuti.

A good hunt in the free agency market, especially for rebounding defenders with a mature mind and solid skills, of whom there are a couple.

Almost as important is the sheer extent of the cleanout - it has been made pretty clear that there is going to be minimal if any tolerance of players who are not committed to being fully professional, and that a professional attitude willbe expected of all new players coming in. With a turnover approaching a quarter of the list, you can be sure that the culture will taake a shock. Hopefully it will be a huge mental relief for those at the club who really are committed - they can stop taking passengers with them every time they hit a session or run onto the field. Nothing supports motivation better than knowing others are with you giving the effort.

• Like 2

I am an attainable realist so I want name any blue-chip FAs here, although I think we can get Viney in the second round.

If we could capture Viney, Toumpas, Hogan, Byrnes, Young, Stevens/Jacobs, and a talent at Pick 13. We would have plenty for the future and a bit for right now.

I don't know enough about state leagues (other than Canberra) to say who to get but couple strong trainers with good heads would not go amiss. And I would have no qulams in offering Chapman a 2 year deal with an option for a third. He is widely regarded as the reason Geelong pulled their finger out with some home truths in 06 - would love that attitude at the club.

Id have to wonder if Neeld wont hedge bets to some degree and look to get a "couple" of older types who may well only have those couple of years of real effect whilst using "most" to sow for the future.

I dont think he will want to keep on losing for the hell of it. If we can get some respectability introduced into our gamesmanship and win more than a handful this 'positiveness" may help fuel and drive the rebuild.

i.e success breeds success

No one expects miracles for next year but we HAVE to get up off the floor. Some mature experienced capable types need to be got. This will go totally contrary to a previous metric whereby no older players were sought.

We need to learn from mistakes.

• Like 1

With Neeld recruit of Clark last year he's demonstrated the ability to unearth and capture players that will excell in the environment he's building at Melbourne.

Not convinced we need to go for proven older players with character etc (i.e. Chappy), but inevitably on the decline. I'd prefer them to identify and target 23 - 27 yr olds who are unappreciated at their club and will flourish at ours. More the Swans model, for that age group.

Guest Rassilon

With Neeld recruit of Clark last year he's demonstrated the ability to unearth and capture players that will excell in the environment he's building at Melbourne.

Not convinced we need to go for proven older players with character etc (i.e. Chappy), but inevitably on the decline. I'd prefer them to identify and target 23 - 27 yr olds who are unappreciated at their club and will flourish at ours. More the Swans model, for that age group.

Reckon the hardest thing about that age group is you normally need to sell the vision of instant success, there time is running out quickly. Our vision is more of roles and being part of the building process at oldest club in Victoria. Worst thing you want to be is 28 and at a club around the bottom 3 sides. However, a few years younger and the vision is so much easier to sell if your cheque book is big enough - often referred to as salary cap space.

I should add to clarify - I heard Neeld talk about the "Hardwick model" a few days ago - which really is the "Hartley model" and I reckon we will follow that path. Its all positive from here on in.

Edited by Rassilon

20 reasons for optimism!

2012 Melbourne best and fairest - total votes

1 - Nathan Jones (368)

2 - Jack Grimes (348)

3 - Tom McDonald (314)

4 - Jordie McKenzie (312)

5 - Jared Rivers (310)

6 - Colin Garland (297)

7 - Jeremy Howe (293)

8 - Jack Trengove (275)

9 - James Frawley (266)