• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Chris Knights

dazzledavey36

I've always liked him, but I haven't been following his progress this year except to note he's been in and out of the side. Don't know why, and it might be because he's had a shite year, but still, if he's cheap I'd take him, as the one thing he does have is a strong, accurate kick.

Yes please.

He is not the type to set the world on fire, but on that count, also won't cost a huge bundle of cash.

He's a good mature player, seems to be clearing his injury issues at last (touch wood), and we have space on our list.

The important thing to remember about free agency is that while the club losing a player gets compensated, the cub gaining doesn't have to give up any draft picks to get them.

Let's say Adelaide get a round two or round three compo, well, basically that's a statement that we just got ourselves an extra pick in the draft, and used it on a mature player.

Similarly, a club that picks up Travis Cloke through free agency would in effect be buying a top draft pick.

There's never, ever, been a better way to rapidly build your list than by going all-out at free agency.

It's actually a scandalous failure of foresight by the AFL HQ, again... again... again...

• Like 1

It's funny. For months now, I haven't heard a word from WYL or the other hand-wringers about how free agency will be the death of the smaller clubs. I see it to be the opposite: Weaker clubs have more money to spend, so free agency actually helps them. If there were no salary cap, then there'd be a whole other story.

• Like 2

he was absolutely awesome in 2006/2007, but after that he has been a bit average then with the inclusion of dangerfield i think his spot was taken so maybe he will fire for us if we get him. Plus i think he's better than most our mids at the moment.

Plus i think he's better than most our mids at the moment.

Unfortunately if that were the criterion we applied to new players, we'd be looking at bringing in almost every other player in the comp.

I see your point though, and I agree. I think he could add something to the side, and maybe a fresh club is what he needs.

he was absolutely awesome in 2006/2007, but after that he has been a bit average then with the inclusion of dangerfield i think his spot was taken so maybe he will fire for us if we get him. Plus i think he's better than most our mids at the moment.

That is pretty much how I see it. Had a great season or two a few years back but has dropped of a bit, but would still walk into our 22. Definitely should sign him if an option.

Yes, Chris Knights would be a real plus.. Mid field goal kicker.

But we need a lot more. We need players who are pro active,

creative and have a bit of dare. In addition, we should throw the following into the mix. Josh Caddy, Jordan Ellis, Sharrod Wellingham and if we miss Travis Cloke, go for Scott Gumbleton.

Remember we are cashed up and have some great positioning in the draft, Moloney and Green opens up the door to the Bombers and Gold Coast for Gumbleton and Caddy. We have a few others to trade. We are ready to deal and now is the hour!!! Give Our coach this list which would have a whole new mindset and watch what happens.

Yes, Chris Knights would be a real plus.. Mid field goal kicker.

But we need a lot more. We need players who are pro active,

creative and have a bit of dare. In addition, we should throw the following into the mix. Josh Caddy, Jordan Ellis, Sharrod Wellingham and if we miss Travis Cloke, go for Scott Gumbleton.

Remember we are cashed up and have some great positioning in the draft, Moloney and Green opens up the door to the Bombers and Gold Coast for Gumbleton and Caddy. We have a few others to trade. We are ready to deal and now is the hour!!! Give Our coach this list which would have a whole new mindset and watch what happens.

It's hard enough to wait for Lucas Cook to play. I couldn't handle having to wait 5 years for Gumbleton to be declared injury free.

It's funny. For months now, I haven't heard a word from WYL or the other hand-wringers about how free agency will be the death of the smaller clubs. I see it to be the opposite: Weaker clubs have more money to spend, so free agency actually helps them. If there were no salary cap, then there'd be a whole other story.

Um, actually, players will play for less in order to get the advantages of

- higher football depatment / player development budgets,

- greater prospects for success

- greater exposure for marketing, media jobs, and coaching pathways.

So poorer/weaker clubs will end up spending more salary cap money 'per player equivalent' to retain players than the wealthie/stronger clubs. It is counterintitive, sure, but free agency actually puts more salary cap pressure on the poorer clubs trying to retain players than on the stronger clubs looking to bring them in.

For example, choose your own conversion rate and do the maths the way any player or their agent would;

$100,000 per player additional football department / player development budget

=

$??,000 per player direct salary payments

So, right now Melbourne are in a position to buy up big, and MUST go completely all-out to break out of their low-prospect status, and fast, because the longer-term effect of free agency will be a steady teasing apart of the successful and weak clubs, ad it will get more and more difficult to bridge that gap over the years.

• Like 2

Um, actually, players will play for less in order to get the advantages of

- higher football depatment / player development budgets,

- greater prospects for success

- greater exposure for marketing, media jobs, and coaching pathways.

So poorer/weaker clubs will end up spending more salary cap money 'per player equivalent' to retain players than the wealthie/stronger clubs. It is counterintitive, sure, but free agency actually puts more salary cap pressure on the poorer clubs trying to retain players than on the stronger clubs looking to bring them in.

For example, choose your own conversion rate and do the maths the way any player or their agent would;

$100,000 per player additional football department / player development budget

=

$??,000 per player direct salary payments

So, right now Melbourne are in a position to buy up big, and MUST go completely all-out to break out of their low-prospect status, and fast, because the longer-term effect of free agency will be a steady teasing apart of the successful and weak clubs, ad it will get more and more difficult to bridge that gap over the years.

So why did Tom Scully go to GWS? Why did Mitch Clark come to us? MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

Knights was a gun bottom-aged youngster who slid to 66 in his draft year (2004) due to injury in his top-aged season. Played with Matthew Bate at Eastern Ranges. Good skills, loves a goal, strong body like most of the Crows midfielders.

Not sure if he has the tank to run in the middle (injuries have probably hampered his development in recent seasons) but he has played some excellent footy as a half-forward. If he can improve his endurance to the point where he can change through the middle, he would be a very good pick up. Even if he can't, he'd be very useful around the forward line.

Chris Knights is Col Sylvia without the hype...

If you could get Sylvia for free in FA you would, so a big yes to Knights.

Yep. Knights is a less talented Sylvia.

He was a middle of a road midfielder who would turn the ball over with poor fieldkicking.

Reinvented himself as a HFF who just demolished 55m goals. Has disappeared again.

Will not trade for or pay big money in FA but see merit in the moneyball theory for him.

Edited by jacey

Yep. Knights is a less talented Sylvia.

He was a middle of a road midfielder who would turn the ball over with poor fieldkicking.

Reinvented himself as a HFF who just demolished 55m goals. Has disappeared again.

Will not trade for or pay big money in FA but see merit in the moneyball theory for him.

Exactly, fits the moneyball theory perfectly.

Time is up for 10-11 on the current list.

We've been very patient waiting for our potential draft picks to mature. Lets look to lists from other clubs. Players with experience , in the 24--25 age bracket with stronger bodies. We are cashed up and have a bevy of early draft picks. So our recruiters need to get busy, now!!

I'm thinking of some of the following:

Travis Cloke. if we can't get him, go for Gumbleton. We need another power forward to help Mitch Clark.

Our defence is okay but our mid field is mediocre. Blease has pace but lets bring in Caddy, Xavier Ellis, Goldsack and of course, the boy from Adelaide, Chris Knights.

When I think Chris Knights, I think Matty Bate. Is any better than Bate?

Unless he has clean disposal, isn't awful below his knees, we could be getting the same type of player, just not with red hair.

Just wondering whether its actually worth it.

• Like 1

When I think Chris Knights, I think Matty Bate. Is any better than Bate?

Unless he has clean disposal, isn't awful below his knees, we could be getting the same type of player, just not with red hair.

Just wondering whether its actually worth it.

M.Bate - 102 games - 98 goals

C.Knights - 96 games - 68 goals

Shuffling the deck chairs ?