McLardy: Players signed, extension for Schwab & response on list management

Range Rover

Posters suggesting the board go to market to see who's out there before CS is reappointed clearly have no idea.

Doing that is essentially asking him to reapply for his job. Both humiliating and pointless.

It's really quite simple, the board thinks he's earnt another contract or they don't. He's either performed well against his KPI's, or he hasn't.

Personally I think Cameron has many admirable qualities, but a few flaws. Whilst I firmly believe he gets the narrative of our history better than anyone, I also think he spends too much time paying tribute to it. He's good at working a room when it suits him, and [censored] poor at other times. No point rehashing the footy department stuff, it's been done to death. If he hasn't learnt to stop meddling he'll make himself unemployable.

He and Connolly turned Freo around, and for that he deserves a lot of credit, But anyone with footy and business acumen could have done that. There was a lot of heavy hitters wanting to get on board.

I think he's a good (not great) CEO and we're probably lucky to have him.

• Like 5

Posters suggesting the board go to market to see who's out there before CS is reappointed clearly have no idea.

Doing that is essentially asking him to reapply for his job. Both humiliating and pointless.

How is making a discreet phone call or two to the best in the business asking Schwab to "reapply for his job"?

• Like 1

Glad to see this debate swing around.

I rate the bloke. His history is that he got started as a recruiter for us leading into our mini-revival in the late 80s. That might be where the meddling in footy department comes from.

Ben Hur is right: he gets our history in ways others do not. All footy clubs are the same in most ways, he says, but Melbourne is different because it "grew out of a ground, not a suburb". He is trying to make that point of difference, and others such as writing the rules of the game and the greater-than-most sacrifices in wartime, as points of identity that ulitimately will be selling points for the club.

My only concern is that he did sign Energy Watch and they were flakey, and worse, LOOKED FLAKEY from the get-go. I am glad we have replaced it with sponsors that appear to have a stronger more substantial character to them. Extending CS' contract now gives us some much needed stablilty.

• Like 1

How is making a discreet phone call or two to the best in the business asking Schwab to "reapply for his job"?

"Is this Brian Cook? Hi it's Don McLardy from the Melbourne Football Club. How's your contract situation at the moment? Plans for next year?"

Spare me.

• Like 3

I believe Cameron Schwab (or any other CEO for that matter) would be substantially more productive if they did not have to deal with what he has dealt with this year. Can you imagine the planning changes that would have been occurring throughout this year?

It was chaotic from word go and is continuing with the recent tanking talk.

A clean slate next year after dealing with drama's the size of which we've seen will be akin to Utopia.

• Like 1

"Is this Brian Cook? Hi it's Don McLardy from the Melbourne Football Club. How's your contract situation at the moment? Plans for next year?"

Spare me.

Spare you from what?

Greg Swann and Ian Robson say hello.

Is there some rule I'm not aware of that Melbourne are not allowed to poach talent?

Spare you from what?

Greg Swann and Ian Robson say hello.

Is there some rule I'm not aware of that Melbourne are not allowed to poach talent?

Ian Robson? You mean the guy who replaced Peter Jackson who resigned of his own accord after 15 years?

Swann went to Carlton because they were a basketcase and looking for a CEO.

Two completely different circumstances to us.

I'll say it again. If CS isn't performing, replace him. Otherwise let him get on with the job.

• Like 1

Ian Robson? You mean the guy who replaced Peter Jackson who resigned of his own accord after 15 years?

I'll say it again. If CS isn't performing, replace him. Otherwise let him get on with the job.

If he isn't performing I would still hope they have someone in mind...

You don't place limits on yourself with such an important position. You get the best man available for the job at the time.

• Like 1

You don't place limits on yourself with such an important position. You get the best man available for the job at the time.

OR Woman????

Cam Schwab's mantra recently is for the club to aspire to be 'elite', by his own notion, he should be more than happy for us to at least see if there are any potential CEO's out there that would be considered a greater chance of getting the MFC to such 'eliteness', compared to CS.

I want the best CEO we can get, if that's CS good, if it's someone else, then i'd want them.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

I think there's ties that bind the board and CS together just at the moment.

Agree. And at this time he and they should see through what they started.

And while we should also be on the look out for the best available talent, it would be a real thrill seeker and risk taker that would potentially jeopardise their career by trying to turn MFC's ship around. Stacks of downside in spades and limited upside. I cant say prospective CEOs would salivate on the role. But it is a tough job market out there....

Agree. And at this time he and they should see through what they started.

The theorists who think that the recent allegations are a conspiracy to get CS fired are either missing the point or those perpetrating the conspiracy are feeble-minded. As rpfc has pointed out - that type of attack only works to cement the bonds between board and CEO who will defend the allegations strenuously in a united front.

The theorists who think that the recent allegations are a conspiracy to get CS fired are either missing the point or those perpetrating the conspiracy are feeble-minded. As rpfc has pointed out - that type of attack only works to cement the bonds between board and CEO who will defend the allegations strenuously in a united front.

I am one who has suggested political manoevrings to have Schwab fired (or more accurately - not reappointed) but I don't know what point I am supposed to be missing. Rpfc may well be proved right that such allegations may unite the board, but then again no-one is certain yet where the AFL investigation into McLean may lead.

As it stands McLardy has now publicly come out and tied himself to Schwab in a show of support, so he either must feel supremely confident that nothing will come of it, or that he has no choice in the matter for reasons known only to him and a select few people.

This thing has not played out to a conclusion yet.

I have heard to many whispers of stuff that has gone down with him. To date nobody has had the balls to tell me straight out. Either state the facts of what has transpired or shut up and support him.

In the times that I have heard him speak I have always been moved by his passion for the club. Maybe this passion has worked against him at times. I am not in a position to be able to judge his success/failure as a CEO but I am happy to have that kind of passion at the club.

If he was getting to involved in player discussions then tell him to back off and tell the players feedback noted. Get him to focus on the back of office only. Job done.

• Like 1

People bagging out Schwab as a CEO becasue he isnt Brian Cook is like peole bagging out Nathan Jones or Brent Moloney because they arent garry Ablett or Jimmy Bartel.

We'd love to have them working for us but they dont, so suck it up and support the guys we do have!

People bagging out Schwab as a CEO becasue he isnt Brian Cook is like peole bagging out Nathan Jones or Brent Moloney because they arent garry Ablett or Jimmy Bartel.

I don't like to belabour the point but it's not like that at all.

Suggesting the club get the best person for the critical job of CEO is not bagging out on Schwab.

Bagging out on Schwab is bagging out on Schwab.

There's no draft for CEOs...

Exactly. It's as Chook in Perth said, you're either confident in Schwab or you're not; it's that black and white (or is that red and blue?). There's no such thing as "we back Schwab unless someone better is available".

I don't like to belabour the point but it's not like that at all.

Suggesting the club get the best person for the critical job of CEO is not bagging out on Schwab.

Bagging out on Schwab is bagging out on Schwab.

I guess my point is that it doesn't achieve anything, why not find the positives in people putting in their best efforts for the club