Suggesting he has a fear of the conctact is wrong when you see him jump into scrum situations ect, on the ball

Watts likes to play the game on his terms. He'll happily come from behind to contest a mark, but he's not so willing with players behind him.

In football it's high contested marking that requires the most courage, not choosing which "scrum" to jump into. There's a big difference.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I know that'w what the supporters want Jose (it's what I want also, was just stated what I was seeing in him after seeing him play), but what if he is a better winger or midfielder? Do you play him in the forward line as that is what you want?

Don't know.

I think he can be a wingman every bit as good as Richo the year he almost pinched a brownlow.

As a mid, I think no.

High centre of gravity will make it hard for him to ever be an elite mid.

Watts first efforts are pretty good. But you do not get the feeling that he would move heaven and earth to win the footy if his first effort does not succeed. He does not seem to be able to impose himself on a game for sustained periods of time at critical junctures, although he clearly has the ability to do so.

whether that is lack of spirit, maturity or experience is hard to tell. Only those really close to him would know.

Edited by The Devil's Advocate

Watts first efforts are pretty good. But you do not get the feeling that he would move heaven and earth to win the footy if his first effort does not succeed. He does not seem to be able to impose himself on a game for sustained periods of time at critical junctures, although he clearly has the ability to do so.

whether that is lack of spirit, maturity or experience is hard to tell. Only those really close to him would know.

Absolute utter bull****......his second efforts are always there! His ability to make a contest when double and triple teamed is impressive and his ball retention when he's in a contest has improved considerably this year. His physicality is improving in a linear fashion and his marking is stronger and more imposing. And his skill and decision making is becoming progressively elite. He's just getting better in a way that'll never impress people like you because you want him to resurrect this team singlehandedly. Ridiculously impatient expectations and inability to see the reality beyond the irrational desire.

• Like 2

Watts likes to play the game on his terms. He'll happily come from behind to contest a mark, but he's not so willing with players behind him.

In football it's high contested marking that requires the most courage, not choosing which "scrum" to jump into. There's a big difference.

I think that's about right. He certainly picks and chooses when to put his body behind the ball. What we are seeing though is improvement.

I think we are fairly consistently seeing fatigue setting in with him later in games, whether it be physical or mental. The story of the development of Jack Watts is still only in its second or third chapter.

• Like 1

He has had more Kicks Marks and goals than Natanui and Hurley.

He is a better player than Tom Hawkins and Goddard were at his age.

He can play midfield and key position in a similar vein to James Hird.

Im still banking on him to be our no.1 player in a couple of years...just in time for us to flourish.

and you wait till a fella named Jordie Gysberts comes on...still very young, great pair of hands, along with Viney will be in our top 2 midfielders.

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 3

So you are calling him a coward???????

I'm a big supporter of Watts, but I have to agree with this.

He also spends a bit of time tiptoeing around bodies waiting for the ball to spill out so he can get a clean possession, instead of throwing his body in there.

Thing is, he doesn't quite have the body of a Hurley, who can do that and knock others out of the way.

I think he's surprisingly thin framed when seen up close in person. Not that it has stopped a guy like Gysberts.

His height also means he has a high centre of gravity, making it harder for him.

He has a few things to work on, but I'm confident he'll get there. Eventually.

Webjet.

Opel.

Hertz.

I dont think we need more players throwing themselves into the packs at congestion. Thats jones, Magner and Beamers role.

We need the more skillful players such as Watts, Silvia and perhaps Gysberts around the edges waiting for the loose ball. I think the first few weeks of the season this was costing us in the clearances. We had a good attack on the ball in close but often we had more numbers in close. When the ball does come out we are outnumbered, this allows the opposition to spread quickly and link up to great effect. We have improved in the area each week since the brisbane game and hopefully we will continue to improve.

I have seen glimpses of Watt's ability around stoppage throughout this season which is promising. More time in this role against better opposition will benefit his development.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I'm a big fan of Watts, but this is bang on the money.

It needs to change, or he'll always be a "cooda been."

I'm confident it will though, but it will take some very blunt assessment and might take a while.

I'm also confident the coaching dept will provide this.

Just the regular Wattsbash happening here? Carry on without me .

Just the regular Wattsbash happening here? Carry on without me .

No bashing going on here, just hyperbole.

Geez this kid can't take a trick. When he improves(which he has done) every one says "Not enough"

Just turned 21. Bigger lads take longer. Just give him a bit of time.

• Like 2

Watts has been one of the good things about our season - every week he looks more intent on imposing himself - i think a break out game will happen perhaps this season when he finally clicks and his confidence grows when he wins some contested footy.

Geez this kid can't take a trick. When he improves(which he has done) every one says "Not enough"

Just turned 21. Bigger lads take longer. Just give him a bit of time.

You need a history lesson of the great 21 year old tall forwards of the last 20 years. I'll provide it if you want.

If Watts is to be great, which we'd all hoped, he needs a massive hurry on. It's not just stats btw, it's how he plays and attacks the contest. He's a mile away from being a good player let alone a star. A friggin mile.

You need a history lesson of the great 21 year old tall forwards of the last 20 years. I'll provide it if you want.

And it should bear remembering (a hell of a lot more than it is) that not all players develop at the same time.......

And no player should ever be judged solely on what other people have done at the same age.

Watts will be great.

And it should bear remembering (a hell of a lot more than it is) that not all players develop at the same time.......

And no player should ever be judged solely on what other people have done at the same age.

Watts will be great.

History is a very good litmus test and to ignore it makes no sense. It's not absolute, but not many things are.

As for Watts being "great" ? A great what ? A great guy ? A great kick ? A great athlete ? If you mean he'll be one of the games great players you're delusional. He doesn't have the appetite. He doesn't want to be great. He doesn't believe he'll be great. If he changes his mindset he may be "very good". Or he may just settle for "good".

History is a very good litmus test and to ignore it makes no sense. It's not absolute, but not many things are.

As for Watts being "great" ? A great what ? A great guy ? A great kick ? A great athlete ? If you mean he'll be one of the games great players you're delusional. He doesn't have the appetite. He doesn't want to be great. He doesn't believe he'll be great. If he changes his mindset he may be "very good". Or he may just settle for "good".

One of the greats? Maybe, maybe not.....

But you seem to state as absolute fact what is nothing more than your opinion.

I agree he needs more "appetite" but again you're delusional if you think there isn't a great player in there.

Or maybe you just don't like what you see now and have thus decided that he'll fail us no matter what.

Edited by QueenC

I'm a fan of Watts....but his intensity just isn't there.

Tonight he was the only player not to lay a tackle! The only one!

Sylvia had 5...and he was the sub

Lift your game Jack

Even on a night where everyone else decided to put in the effort of a normal AFL footballer, Jack Watts didn't (or couldn't) do so. He is either too unfit to be of any use, or has such a weak desire to impact games that he simply has no real influence on any contest except those in which the ball just happens into his area. It's a worry, for sure, but that's not to say he can't turn it around as he matures (both mentally and physically).

Edited by Chook

Very ordinary night for Jack tonight, never recovered from his nightmare start on Fisher. Looked listless.

• Like 1