I don't care where he plays, I don't think Neeld will be using his services as a loose man in defence for a while though.

Why has it been so long since there has been a post on Jack Watts?

One thing i'll say is watching the Hawks tonight they have some seriously good kickers of the ball. The thought crossed my mind that the only two players we have who are a grade kicks of the ball are Davey (who was down in this department last year - too cute by half) and Watts.

JW's disposal skills are crucial in our "workman like" line-up. Measure his contribution by goal assists and i prdict he will be our most important player this year.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Anyone watching last nights game think that Vickery is ahead of Watts in development?

No.

No way.

10 sec. of football.

But even then he was looking at dishing it off.

I thought there for a while, is this the moment when it all comes together?

But alas we have to wait another day.

Impose yourself Jack. We need something up there.

You had a dip today, Jack. Well done under difficult circumstances.

I thought he showed moments of real intensity and class in the first half, unfortunately he dropped his head and coasted when the game appeared lost, he certainly wasn't on his own.

Guest Thomo

Just because he is tall doesn't mean he is a chf. Won the larke medal when thrown into the midfield. Play him in the guts and he will be a star, the next James Hird

Just because he is tall doesn't mean he is a chf. Won the larke medal when thrown into the midfield. Play him in the guts and he will be a star, the next James Hird

Watts can be our Pendelbury. God knows we need a bloody good midfielder.

I agree with the sentiments of Jaded and Thomo, as I also thought he looked pretty good albeit there was minimal competition from team mates......

There were moments when he looked as excellent as we all hope he can be, but clearly he drifted and dropped his head towards the end.

I do admit to love seeing him with ball in hand as he tends to use it better than most. And while we all know what we need (and want) up forward, but maybe this is where he proves to be best. Although I would like to see him drift into the forward line at times as he so tall and could prove to be quite effective, but he is going to need more physicality.

Thought he was good today though, definitely an improvement on his somewhat woeful preseason form. So I guess the glass is half full'ish ;) !!!

Edited by QueenC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in people's updated thoughts, particulary from B-H and the others who have questioned Watts' appetite for the contest. I haven't seen anything that has made me call his commitment in to question so far this year - if anything there's been a number of moments that make me think he's getting the hang of it - that warms my heart. Certainly he's had fade-outs though, but that could just as easily be about fitness. How's he going?

Has responded and is improving, seems to be enjoying his good moments too which is great to see.

I'm interested in people's updated thoughts, particulary from B-H and the others who have questioned Watts' appetite for the contest. I haven't seen anything that has made me call his commitment in to question so far this year - if anything there's been a number of moments that make me think he's getting the hang of it - that warms my heart. Certainly he's had fade-outs though, but that could just as easily be about fitness. How's he going?

I know you watch from Tassie on TV and I reckon it's hard to pick up nuances of the game from the television, but all I'll say is that Watts has too much concern for his own physical being and if he can't overcome it and learn to play with a little bit of reckless abandon, not a lot, but a little, then he'll never fulfill his undoubted talent. His concern for physical contact is his undoing. It's one of the reasons he lacks confidence.

• Like 2

I know you watch from Tassie on TV and I reckon it's hard to pick up nuances of the game from the television, but all I'll say is that Watts has too much concern for his own physical being and if he can't overcome it and learn to play with a little bit of reckless abandon, not a lot, but a little, then he'll never fulfill his undoubted talent. His concern for physical contact is his undoing. It's one of the reasons he lacks confidence.

In what way, this year he has been at the bottom of countless packs.

You are obviously wanting him to crash packs from the wing?

Watts is coming along nicely .

As you may have seen he hasn't crashed through players leaving a trail of destruction but he has presented nicely and delivered nearly always to a target .

He isn't the terminator but he may be a gun utility for us for the next decade .

In what way, this year he has been at the bottom of countless packs.

You are obviously wanting him to crash packs from the wing?

Jack doesn't take marks he should because of his concern for physical contact. If you can't see this, or are unable to comprehend this then your football acumen needs improving.

• Like 1

Jack doesn't take marks he should because of his concern for physical contact. If you can't see this, or are unable to comprehend this then your football acumen needs improving.

Jack is a 21yo playing with the worst midfield, the worst group of senior players in the AFL, I thought in the last quarter he had his chance on 3 occasions to take good strong contested marks he had good purchase but couldn't hold them. I don't think it is his concern of Physical contact I think it is like all our players they have no confidence. It will click for Jack as a forward one day this year and we will have two tall very good mobile targets deep inside our 50m arc. The more games Jack and Mitch can play together and work each other out the better we will be.

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

I'm a big supporter of Watts, but I have to agree with this.

He also spends a bit of time tiptoeing around bodies waiting for the ball to spill out so he can get a clean possession, instead of throwing his body in there.

Thing is, he doesn't quite have the body of a Hurley, who can do that and knock others out of the way.

I think he's surprisingly thin framed when seen up close in person. Not that it has stopped a guy like Gysberts.

His height also means he has a high centre of gravity, making it harder for him.

He has a few things to work on, but I'm confident he'll get there. Eventually.

Webjet.

Opel.

Hertz.

• Like 1

I am actually starting to think that Watts is becoming more like a Pendlebury for us. I just checked their sizes, SP is 191cm and 91kg, JW is 196 and 91kg also (per both club's websites). They both come from basketball backgrounds and seem to have a better sense of their surroundings than others, hence why they can get through a congested situation and not just barge through it (like a Jones/Hurley etc will try to). Both have very good skills and are the ones you would rather kicking the ball into the forward line rather than diving in and getting it out (that is the job of jones etc for us and Ball for the pies). I wouldn't personally mind if he was then groomed as this type of player rather than a forward, for one, god knows we are desperate for some polish around the midfield and two, Geelong has shown in the last few years that if your mids are good enough, you can get by with a non star studded forward line. Now with Clarke showing he can take a mark and crash a pack, there isn't as big a calling for JW to be the massive forward presence. Resting him in the forward line would then become an added bonus to him.

• Like 1

He definately drops some marks which i would already assume he had taken control of for sure, what this is may be concern of contact, just as much expecting it and alot of the time it didnt come on the weekend. he seemed free then let it slip. I would love to see him take more contested marks but think it will come.

Suggesting he has a fear of the conctact is wrong when you see him jump into scrum situations ect, on the ball

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I am actually starting to think that Watts is becoming more like a Pendlebury for us. I just checked their sizes, SP is 191cm and 91kg, JW is 196 and 91kg also (per both club's websites). They both come from basketball backgrounds and seem to have a better sense of their surroundings than others, hence why they can get through a congested situation and not just barge through it (like a Jones/Hurley etc will try to). Both have very good skills and are the ones you would rather kicking the ball into the forward line rather than diving in and getting it out (that is the job of jones etc for us and Ball for the pies). I wouldn't personally mind if he was then groomed as this type of player rather than a forward, for one, god knows we are desperate for some polish around the midfield and two, Geelong has shown in the last few years that if your mids are good enough, you can get by with a non star studded forward line. Now with Clarke showing he can take a mark and crash a pack, there isn't as big a calling for JW to be the massive forward presence. Resting him in the forward line would then become an added bonus to him.

I said before he even played a game, as have countless others.

The thing is, we, as supporters, want him to play as a KPF.

I know that'w what the supporters want Jose (it's what I want also, was just stated what I was seeing in him after seeing him play), but what if he is a better winger or midfielder? Do you play him in the forward line as that is what you want?