Point Kick ins and defence of kick ins

Might be an old chestnut, JM, but why can't we get it right?

Atm, there's too much predictability....the ball goes long to the defensive side, in dispute, we're outnumbered and the ball flies straight back in there.

Who's the designated kicker?

I think it should be Garland and (every now and then) a massive torp straight down the middle wouldn't go astray.

Keep the kick in duties away from Chip.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

dunn should have stopped taking the ball off watts and let him kick in, we looked better when watts was kicking in, because he is a better pin point kick.

but at the end of the day, if we kick the short ball, the idea is that the designated kicker gets the hands off and can get it 80m-100m up the ground instead of 60-70m

its hard to work the kick outs when we only pushed one tall target to the ball, we need to push howe, jamar and pederson/sellar all to the same area and that is how you can work kick outs.

• 1 month later...

Our inept kick-ins and absence of defence of Richmond's kick-ins were a major factor in our loss today.

Just after halftime we were absolutely incapable of clearing the ball from defence after their first three points. Eventually, they goaled.

In contrast, when we scored a behind, the ball was cleared quickly to the teeth of their goal without us touching it, every time.

I think kick-in tactics are the most easily observable factor for the non-expert fan(like myself) to gauge the coaching. There appears to be a deficiency in this tactic compared to other teams.

I wonder how far we are behind other teams in less obvious tactics.

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
  • Like 3

Is it that hard to run into the 20 meter space in front of every backman trying to find a wy out of our back line? So few times do players run to provide an option; it kills our backman trying to kick out of trouble. It is all about confidence I suppose.

Agree. It has been a disgrace for a very long time ...

Our inept kick-ins and absence of defence of Richmond's kick-ins were a major factor in our loss today.
Just after halftime we were absolutely incapable of clearing the ball from defence after their first three points. Eventually, they goaled.
In contrast, when they scored a behind, the ball was cleared quickly to the teeth of their goal without us touching it, every time.

I think kick-in tactics are the most easily observable factor for the non-expert fan(like myself) to gauge the coaching. There appears to be a deficiency in this tactic compared to other teams.

?..................

Good point re ability to coach.

A kick in is really one of the few regular opportunities for a tactical coach to implement a true set play.

Trouble is our last three coaches - can't remember if Balme was any better - just could not / would not develop and / or drill any kick in tactics at all.

I didn't see today's game but let me guess - from the Richmond end we kicked it towards Jamar near the 50 on the Members' side?

Hopefully when our potential coach is interviewed, and after today's earlier suicide note by Neeld (the one in which he said we will have to wait 5 years) it will probably be sooner rather than later, interviewed I must add by a panel that just must not include Gary Lyon, he has to be asked if he has a kick in strategy, and be asked to detail it and show that it has worked for him and his previous team, that team being in a much higher competition than Ocean Grove.

Edited by monoccular

Farcical Melbourne kick-in are a timeless Demon tradition. Was there ever a time when Melbourne had good kick-ins?

You have to go back a long time but Steven Febey was the man. In his best season he lead the league for kick ins to maintain possession

• Like 1

Kick ins are a sign of the team. I'm not too bothered. The better you are at these means you have a good team, there is no strategy that says bad team but good at kick outs. If you are full of smart, skilled and hard running footballers you wouldn't be bad at kick outs in the first place!!!

Kick ins are a sign of the team. I'm not too bothered. The better you are at these means you have a good team, there is no strategy that says bad team but good at kick outs. If you are full of smart, skilled and hard running footballers you wouldn't be bad at kick outs in the first place!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh , I see.

Forget about tactics for kick-ins.

Just wait, and as soon as we're a good team it will all just fall into place!

Not at all what I'm saying! I bet they are working super hard on tactics.

But they are a symptom of a bad side. You work and work and work at them but notice what happens when Terlich gets involved with run then kids to a hard running Evans etc. Compared to a Dunn shank to no one. Or we go long to Jamar and have the numbers at the feet with smart clearance winning footballers.

I don't see how we lose by 10 goals each week and will be a good kick out team

Even back when we were doing OK early this millennium our kick ins were always a worry.

I think it comes down to discipline - well drilled TEAMS have always done this better than us

Also we hold the record fro the number of times we kick into the man on the mark Geesssuus please please practise it at training

and allowing intercepts because of poor kicking skills Its so basic its laughable

In contrast, when they scored a behind, the ball was cleared quickly to the teeth of their goal without us touching it, every time.

I think from our kick ins we made it inside our 50 once. Deplorable,

Such a basic thing. BUt then again we are f***n useless at basic things like having kicks SMOTHERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Just wow.