Ross Lyon on SEN

Demon Dynasty

One of the most honest interviews i've heard in a while from a senior "rated" AFL coach. Of course he wont be giving away his most guarded philosophies over the airwaves but it's still quite a good listen for anyone wanting an insight from an experienced AFL coach.

Ross just calling it as he sees it. And he's actually a pretty likeable funny guy to listen to.

Says he has given Mark Neeld a bit of support as well.

Now nothing i say is new to any footy punter out there, but a very interesting point ,and where i think we have failed this year big time so far, "move the ball quickly or die versus the press" or just in general. An aspect to St Kilda's game he says he started trying to improve on last year and no doubt realised after seeing the Pies enforce their press in the GF...twice lol.

Another point he makes note of is the play on percentage. Many other teams are playing on much more often than we are (obviously). Moving the ball with precision and using pacey outsiders as well around the clearances. . 2 to 3 lightning handball gives/receives (or a short pass if in the clear following first 1 or 2 handballs) until they find an outside player to run and carry or belt the ball forward (quickly) to a contest.

We are basically the opposite from what i've seen so far. We don't play on much after a mark. We're unsure, UNSKILLED and SLOOOW (both in decision making, ball use and pace/burst speed) around the clearances and pretty much any congestion. Not to mention the fact that we look lost/disinterested and very slow (or just physically incapable) in pressuring our opponents when we don't have the ball.

I just hope the doggies aren't as quick with their ball movement and leg speed as they once were (generally) around the ground. Otherwise we're more than likely in for a world of pain on Sunday (again).

List needs a pretty big injection of highly skilled quick ball users (generally) and an injection of outside pace with similar ball use skills IMO (among other requirements like a top line mid or 2) if we're to see any substantial improvement inside 5 to 7 years. No doubt Neeld & co. will be addressing this as part of their filtering/planning etc.

The Interview

Part 1

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Fremantle-Coach-Ross-Lyon-Part-1/4347

Part 2

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Fremantle-Coach-Ross-Lyon-Part-2/4348

That is one thing you see if we push back off the mark but then either have no options or poor skills to move the ball quickly thus looking slow. Outside speed is good if you use it (even if we had any outside speed) would we be using ie would players be running past for the hand off or is the plan to sit and wait for an option if not hoof it down the line to form a contest.

Agree we are far too slow with moving the ball on with decision making compared to the more experienced teams.

Guys like Bate and even Grimes are slow to hit up a teammate on first option. Indecision helps opposition teams close down our options. And adds to the pressure and turn overs.

You see the Cats, Blues move on quickly and deliver on the move. Time and again we seem to take the mark, go to ground, get up, get distance from the mark, then decide.

It's one of the many aspects under the heading "nous" that our team lacks.

• Like 1

List needs a pretty big injection of highly skilled quick ball users (generally) and an injection of outside pace with similar ball use skills IMO (among other requirements like a top line mid or 2) if we're to see any substantial improvement inside 5 to 7 years. No doubt Neeld & co. will be addressing this as part of their filtering/planning etc.

Better tell Jake Niall ...

• Like 1

Another comment he made during that interview rings true for us and it was about Freo getting a win against the Cats helped with player buy in to the new approach he brings. The loses we are having must make it harder to get buy in from our players, it's human nature and will make Neelds task all the harder. Let's hope a win this week get's things moving in the right direction.

He IMO is the best game day coach. Not a slight on Neeld as I think he will be a good coach given time, but when you are looking for best available, we talk about missing out on players but by playing by the rules with his agent Craig Kelly and not speaking with him while he was coming out of contract at Saints, Freo took the initiative and grabbed him

Another comment he made during that interview rings true for us and it was about Freo getting a win against the Cats helped with player buy in to the new approach he brings. The loses we are having must make it harder to get buy in from our players, it's human nature and will make Neelds task all the harder. Let's hope a win this week get's things moving in the right direction.

Yep....i think he was asked something along the lines of "what was the main focus for you when taking on the new team?". And his response went something like "The biggest key for me is without doubt get a few early wins on the board to fuel the belief factor".

One of the reasons we desperately needed the win against Brisbane first up IMO, especially given the trip that was up next. Freo have the luxury of 'genuine' home games to ensure they're at least a reasonable chance of winning a few early ones anyway, plus a much advanced/more senior playing list of course which showed up against the gritty win against the Cats.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

That is one thing you see if we push back off the mark but then either have no options or poor skills to move the ball quickly thus looking slow. Outside speed is good if you use it (even if we had any outside speed) would we be using ie would players be running past for the hand off or is the plan to sit and wait for an option if not hoof it down the line to form a contest.

Gee it's a funny game isn't it?

I think I recall about 9 or 10 months ago when posters were wondering why we feel the need to play on at every opportunity. Bailey's game plan is ridiculous. We need to savour our possessions and take our time.

From one extreme to the other I guess.

Edited by mrtwister
  • Like 1

Agree we are far too slow with moving the ball on with decision making compared to the more experienced teams.

Guys like Bate and even Grimes are slow to hit up a teammate on first option. Indecision helps opposition teams close down our options. And adds to the pressure and turn overs.

You see the Cats, Blues move on quickly and deliver on the move. Time and again we seem to take the mark, go to ground, get up, get distance from the mark, then decide.

It's one of the many aspects under the heading "nous" that our team lacks.

Lets not go there! I realise all teams turn the ball over...but jeez....sure made some bad clangers lately. Hate to be a forward looking for decent delivery into our forward line too :blink:

I guess the only way is up from here given the inexperience factor....gulp! :unsure:

Edited by Rusty Nails

Guest Dr Who

I could be wrong about this but I have a feeling within 5-7 years there will be no way to differentiation between inside & outside mids - you will have to play both roles on demand by the coach or you will struggle at elite level.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

If I had a left nut, I'd give it to have Ross Lyon as our coach. I rate him hugely.

What's wrong with a ti.....

I'll stop right there.

Edited by McQueen

I could be wrong about this but I have a feeling within 5-7 years there will be no way to differentiation between inside & outside mids - you will have to play both roles on demand by the coach or you will struggle at elite level.

Just a thought.

I guess anything's possible given the way the game evolves now days, although i think the likelihood of finding them in a numbers sense is pretty slim in order to offer dual skills to all clubs through the middle. In the genre' you're talking i'm thinking elite such as Mitchel, Ablett, Judd and maybe Chappy. Probably a few other elites (who are both elite inside and outside) you might think of but i'm guessing they most likely wouldn't be gifted in both areas in the way these four are. So i guess what i'm saying is, you might be right, but whether there would be enough gifted players offering both elite skills inside and out, i'd have my doubts at this point (based on past experience anyway).

Guest Jackie

I am still mystified why we never made a serious play for him. He turned a rabble(St Kilda) into a hard disciplined side and now looks like doing the same with Fremantle who now seen to have shed the rabble tag unlike us. Sure his sides play ugly football but they eke out the best of the pedestrian cattle they have because of him. And the Saints were very unlucky not to take the flag in 2010.

Edited by Jackie

At the moment, I just want to see us nail the basics. Win the clearances. Win the hard ball gets. Higher tackle count. Defensive pressure all over the ground. All the urgency stuff.

And I want to see us unearth more players who can find the ball themselves, and then use it properly.

We're not a top 4 team. Unfortunately we're the complete opposite. Let's concentrate on nailing the basics for now.

And cop a tip - Ross Lyon, as good a coach as his is, wouldn't have this list scaring the likes of Carlton, Hawthorn, WCE and Geelong at the moment.

It would take Lyon TIME too.

Fast ball movement depends on team-mates getting into a position to receive the ball before their opponents cover the man/space. At the moment Neeld is clearly working on first phase footy, which is winning the contested ball (Tick. VG), and will no doubt develop second phase footy, which is getting players in the right spot to receive the ball (Needs to improve - a lot).

• Like 3

Gee it's a funny game isn't it?

I think I recall about 9 or 10 months ago when posters were wondering why we feel the need to play on at every opportunity. Bailey's game plan is ridiculous. We need to savour our possessions and take our time.

From one extreme to the other I guess.

haha it is great isn't, imagine if we had nothing to rabbit on about!

I am still mystified why we never made a serious play for him. He turned a rabble(St Kilda) into a hard disciplined side and now looks like doing the same with Fremantle who now seen to have shed the rabble tag unlike us. Sure his sides play ugly football but they eke out the best of the pedestrian cattle they have because of him. And the Saints were very unlucky not to take the flag in 2010.

Fair go I think we have been down this path on Lyon. I don't think anyone knew he was available as he still had 1 year to run on his contract with the 'Aints, he walked out on it.

Guest Jackie

Fair go I think we have been down this path on Lyon. I don't think anyone knew he was available as he still had 1 year to run on his contract with the 'Aints, he walked out on it.

Thats asks the question to how come Fremantle knew he was avaliable.

Edited by Jackie

Everyone knew he was coming out of contract, Garry Lyon, Mark Harvey, Ross Lyon were all under Craig Kelly who knew St Kilda were finalising a final offer contract. Maybe Garry spoke to him off the record and Craig told him Ross has told me to sought something out with Saints, if the offer is not what we are looking for I'll let you know.

Lyon was doing his own negotions with Freo so Craig Kelly wouldn't become aware and let Harvey know so that is where we missed out

Todays paper has a fair run down, basically Freo took a shot in the dark as they had Harvs coming out of contract the same time as Lyon. Freo didn't think they could get much further with Harvs so they rang Lyon to see if he might be keen to come over after this season. Lyon said lets wait til end of season and I'll have another chat. 'Aints lost in Elimination final so Freo called again, Lyon raised the get out clause, Freo threw bucket loads of money at him, as he was in need of money he took the Freo offer along with the massive resources they promised him.

The bit that is ugly is the fact his management had given a verbal acknowledgement Lyon had agreed to a new contract, but then backed out of it. If it is not sign it is not signed

Lyon/Freo were cold-blooded.

Don't know if there was any other way to do it though...

As for us, we needed a change of focus to this defensive mindset or else we would lose another generation of kids to the frontrunning mores of their elder brethren.