Grant Thomas on Mark Neeld

Tony Tea

It matters not that Ocean Grove football club don't play in an elite league, you don't win 4 premierships in a row at any level if the players don't respect you.

I find it interesting that Neeld's four premierships in a row at Ocean Grove are so highly rated, yet Mark Williams' three in a row in the VFL (much higher standard of football) were never rated.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that Neeld's four premierships in a row at Ocean Grove are so highly rated, yet Mark Williams' three in a row in the VFL (much higher standard of football) were never rated.

I personally don't give too much credence to what Neeld did at Ocean Grove. I am more interested in his time at Geelong and Collingwood, which was almost universally lauded.

Anyway, he is our coach for 3 years, and it's as simple as that. We need to get behind him.

I personally don't give too much credence to what Neeld did at Ocean Grove. I am more interested in his time at Geelong and Collingwood, which was almost universally lauded.

Anyway, he is our coach for 3 years, and it's as simple as that. We need to get behind him.

Yes it is not as though we have a choice.

That was made by wiser football brains than mine.

It is like the playing list, we have what we have and that will not change any time soon.

I see what you're saying, but Neeld didn't have the luxury of top-up players from the AFL, which are actually a product of their senior AFL coach and the luck of them playing in the VFL squad by virtue of the depth of the list created by the coach at the next level.

Surely it's a combination of that and Williams' coaching ability, but I'm much more inclined to rate the ability of Ayres last season at Port Melb.

And from knowing the BFL, there's no other reason why Ocean Grove won those finals.

They didn't have significantly better lists than other teams at that level.

In fact, they usually had inferior teams, especially to Geelong Ammos when they were practically like an allstar team.

Mark Neeld will be the tonic that this club so desperately needs. Sure at first the taste may be bitter and hard to swallow but with time we will become accustomed to it . For years now we have cried out for someone with a spine of steel and unwavering commitment to raise this mediocre club out of its pathetic slumber. Not since Norm Smith have we had someone as focused and determined as this man, and yet as always they're our those amongst who waiver and baulk at the first hurdle. This isn't gonna be a joy ride folks. Buckle up and hold on for one rough ride. The jackals and vultures of the media are circling. Lets for once ignore their pathetic attempts to create a story and hold true. For good or bad we have decided this is the man to lead us forward and the truth is that we really don't have too many shots left in the locker. Like you I was appalled by what I witnessed on Saturday afternoon and then strangely I felt uplifted by his press conference. It was everything I wanted to hear, no more spin, no more excuses, no more B.S just the undiluted truth. The question is can we "Handle the truth". The good thing about last week is that he now knows without doubt what lays ahead of him and I for one do not doubt he will not baulk at the hard decisions. All power to you Mark Neeld. Drag this soft,self satisfied, mediocre football club kicking and screaming all the way to the top. At the risk of sounding corny to quote Thomas Yancey, " Cometh the hour cometh the man,history beckons".

• Like 4

If its true he met the indigenous as a group not affording them an individual meeting as the non indigenous players, its is a disgrace and racism of the highest order. I hope its not so.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we are in the sh*t again. This better not be true............. One incident after another at our club of poor integrity and the wrong way to deal with things. This racial issue however if true is getting out of hand.

That's great, but it's completely irrelevant to the point I was making. I was referring to his player/coach relationship, which is presently being questioned.

I was just making an observation is all.

Fair enough, but Neeld got the job on the back of his time at Collingwood and how he presented during the interview process. His flags at Ocean Grove would have had no bearing on his appointment even though they look nice on his CV.

Thommo said Neeld rang him and emphatically denied Thommo's accusation, so Thommo pulled the accusation.

Should never have published it when he could have called him in the first place.

Disgraceful.

• Like 1

Thommo said Neeld rang him and emphatically denied Thommo's accusation, so Thommo pulled the accusation.

Absolutely disgraceful act to publicly accuse someone of something of that nature without a skerrick of evidence to back it up.

Neeld should sue for libel.

Look the thing is Neeld has come from a club that had high expectations, a load of money and was one of the first clubs to get great facilities. His old club had superstars and played in finals. He has now come to a club that hasnt seen finals actions in years and has a playing list that really deosnt have a superstar. We know Trengove and Grimes and hopefully Watts will become one but outside int he football world no one rats pur list and fair enough to after saturday.

But I have faith in Mark Neeld. He isnt going to become a miracle worker in his 1st season. It will take time and think these list of players will get a wake up call because Mark Neeld scares the hell out of me and I dont even know the guy. I wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of him.

It took the saints have a season to get Ross Lyons game plan in his 1st season, Malthouse didnt win a flag until 10 years later, Just have faith that Neeld knows what he is doing and it will work. MAybe some of our players just dont get it and it will take time.

By the way can someone put a run down on what Neeld has to say on the couch tonight and if possible provide a link to the interview. Thanks

Neeld should've done it in public, emphatically denied it whilst taking a swipe at GT. Oh wait, he has more balls and class than that, and went straight to the source first.

There's a lesson to be learnt here, Grant.

Still, Grant is hilarious on FC whether he's making [censored] up or not. I take what he says with a grant of salt but enjoy the reactions he stirs up.

• Like 1

Neeld should've done it in public, emphatically denied it whilst taking a swipe at GT. Oh wait, he has more balls and class than that, and went straight to the source first.

There's a lesson to be learnt here, Grant.

Still, Grant is hilarious on FC whether he's making [censored] up or not. I take what he says with a grant of salt but enjoy the reactions he stirs up.

I would expect On The Couch to ask Neeld about Thommo's comments.

Garry Lyon should absolutely belt Thommo on Footy Classified tonight. It is one thing to get your facts wrong as a journo, but it's another thing entirely to make accusations of racism in the wake of an already explosive climate of race-related issues. Dog act by Grant Thomas, who now has absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

A very good point you raise,bhowever he also had success with the Western jets before joining Collingwood.

Bloody Hell That is a low act Thomas...I notice Mark Fine has not mentioned it on SEN which is what i have at work.

Typical St.kilda supporter.!!

I like Thomas' bluster and bullcrap... it's fun... but everyone knows he's the OPPOSITE of what the norm is for a successful coach. No-one was ever scared of him. He was a softly-softly coach that was touchy feely with his players, and despite having easily the best list for a few years, he never amounted to anything...

A serious coach that players are TERRIFIED of letting down, would have won St Kilda multiple flags.

So while his comments are possibly right, they're also possibly wrong. If he can get some wins, and earn soe respect... then the players following him will come naturally. Thomas can't predict that though... no-one could.

• Like 1

Mark Neeld will be the tonic that this club so desperately needs. Sure at first the taste may be bitter and hard to swallow but with time we will become accustomed to it . For years now we have cried out for someone with a spine of steel and unwavering commitment to raise this mediocre club out of its pathetic slumber. Not since Norm Smith have we had someone as focused and determined as this man, and yet as always they're our those amongst who waiver and baulk at the first hurdle. This isn't gonna be a joy ride folks. Buckle up and hold on for one rough ride. The jackals and vultures of the media are circling. Lets for once ignore their pathetic attempts to create a story and hold true. For good or bad we have decided this is the man to lead us forward and the truth is that we really don't have too many shots left in the locker. Like you I was appalled by what I witnessed on Saturday afternoon and then strangely I felt uplifted by his press conference. It was everything I wanted to hear, no more spin, no more excuses, no more B.S just the undiluted truth. The question is can we "Handle the truth". The good thing about last week is that he now knows without doubt what lays ahead of him and I for one do not doubt he will not baulk at the hard decisions. All power to you Mark Neeld. Drag this soft,self satisfied, mediocre football club kicking and screaming all the way to the top. At the risk of sounding corny to quote Thomas Yancey, " Cometh the hour cometh the man,history beckons".

Spot on Outside Fifty...i felt gutted until i saw Neeld's Press Conference on Saturday night....No more fluff and chocolate people.

I am guessing that Mark knows how much this club needs a flag to survive...(Look at the Cats...Break the hoodoo & she keeps rolling with the right planning)

But he also knows we have no idea how to win a flag anymore...I just hope the Board let him do what needs to be done...bringing the club with him...Train all of us up.

One thing I did agree with Thomas on was when he said (on FC) that it was interesting seeing Bren Maloney (when interviewed) say he hoped the senior players would be playing against WCE and kept referring to Neeld as "coach" and not by name/nickname. He suggested Neeld has been disassociating himself from the players (which could be good).

Not suggesting there is anything in it, just that I (along with Thomas) found it interesting!

Edited by Moluck

One thing I did agree with Thomas on was when he said (on FC) that it was interesting seeing Bren Maloney (when interviewed) say he hoped the senior players would be playing against WCE and kept referring to Neeld as "coach" and not by name/nickname. He suggested Neeld has been disassociating himself from the players (which could be good).

Not suggesting there is anything in it, just that I (along with Thomas) found it interesting!

It also falls in line with the perception that Moloney is sooking about the coach. He spoke quietly (unusual for Beamer) and he said that he "hopes" Aaron Davey and Brad Green get a game. The correct response to that question is "They'll get a game if Neeldy and the coaching group thinks they deserve one - and the same goes for every player, including me."

"Hoping" your mates get a game is the wrong approach to take.

Edited by Chook