Moloney, Davey, Green Gone

rjay

Could be a very interesting Casey side in a couple of weeks MB.

I think Casey could go quite well this year.

They could have some very experienced players playing a lot of games this year.

Davey, Green and Maloney would a very good centre line in the VFL.

This Maloney guy must be good .Never seen him .

Brent Moloney ,our reigning B&F will not play in the 2s this year if I estimate his character correctly .

This Maloney guy must be good .Never seen him .

Brent Moloney ,our reigning B&F will not play in the 2s this year if I estimate his character correctly .

I am so sorry I spelt his name wrong.

Have you ever considered Biffen that he may not have a choice

And as I said earlier winning a B&F at the MFC in 2011 is not much of a recomendation

Edited by old dee

Gone ?

Nah i note that Neeld himself said that it would be silly marking cards after just one game

Neeld HAS indicated he will no longer be selecting players on blind faith

I think that would mean team selection would reflect demonstrated ability

Round 2 selections will be interesting

Especially against a good side like the Eagles in WA

My tip is 4 - 6 Changes

Don't we hear this after every bad game

Melbourne veteran Brad Green says he is shattered by the Demons opening-round performance against Brisbane and it is time the AFL club showed some resolve.

Belted 17.17 (119) to 11.12 (78) at the MCG on Saturday by a Lions side widely expected to struggle this season, Green hoped the defeat hurt his teammates as much as it did him.

"Players have got to stand up and be counted," ex-captain Green told the Nine Network's Sunday Footy Show.

"No doubt that's where you go home at night and stare at the ceiling and start thinking of things and no doubt we've certainly got to come out and perform better than we did yesterday.

"I go home and I just want to sit in the bedroom and don't want to talk to anyone, I turn the phone off, it's shattering ... it sucks, it really does.

"We've just got to get back on that horse.

"There's another game and we've got to get back going again, because at the moment it doesn't look good."

The recent death of iconic Demons figure Jim Stynes had been expected to have Melbourne players at a high emotional pitch for the match.

But Green said regardless of off-field circumstances, they had to produce better efforts.

"It's what you get paid for, we're there to play footy," he said.

While coach Mark Neeld has overhauled the Demons' gameplan, modelled at least in part on Collingwood's boundary-hugging style, Green said players were still expected to take more risks than they did on Saturday.

"To have confidence to look inside and take that option, that's where we've got to get back to and go for it," Green said.

"It's so easy just to bomb it down the line and let others compete for it."

Yes...read this so many times, the page is dog eared and discoloured......Believe it when i see consistent performance...

It was obvious to most last year that Green was on his last legs.

Wouldn't be surprised if he retires during the season. He's done.

Would be happy if every player on their last legs kicked 45 goals.

• Like 1

I am so sorry I spelt his name wrong.

Have you ever considered Biffen that he may not have a choice

And as I said earlier winning a B&F at the MFC in 2011 is not much of a recomendation

Yes old Dee

But Beamer will bounce back ,and Green will too .Davey is a worry .

Four kids to think of and a career on the line .He wont work in the media-not eloquent enough .

He is my only real concern .Hes only 27 but looks tired .(Maybe he needs to get some sleep)

Yes old Dee

But Beamer will bounce back ,and Green will too .Davey is a worry .

Four kids to think of and a career on the line .He wont work in the media-not eloquent enough .

He is my only real concern .Hes only 27 but looks tired .(Maybe he needs to get some sleep)

For some it is over at 25

For Davey it was over at 26.

A close checking player takes him out and that has been the case for 2 years.

Would be happy if every player on their last legs kicked 45 goals.

Last legs were 2011. It was a reasonable effort to kick 45 goals but let's not deceive ourselves, his output dropped considerably last year.

Not laying the boot in but fact is very few players get better after 30. He's definitely not one of them. Father Time's got him.

Perhaps they didn't want to create a "Junior Mac 2" by pushing him out the door. But you have to these days because very rare is the player who'll give up the $300+k contract.

Heres food for thought. Though he palyed a very ordinary game , vastly below ability he was still one of the few to be able to move with any flair and aplomb. Quite simply in a few efforts he still showed up quite a few of his team mates. ..In all it says a lot about everything.

Yes winning the B&F at the MFC in 2011 is not much of a rap.

Maybe not but 19 votes in the Brownlow suggests he can play a little bit.

There's no way I'd drop him on the strength of one poor game, especially when he's been our best player in an are we got smashed in - clearances.

He has enough runs on the board to deserve a chance to redeem himself

Thats' my take but if you want to have him dropped, that's your opinion & fair enough.

Who would you like to see replace him....... Jamie Bennell perhaps ?

Ok, I am their biggest critic but...

Let's just give them some time.

If we are allowing everyone else the "getting used to Neeld's gameplan" excuse, you have to give it to the older boys too.

Spot on RP. But intensity and 2nd efforts etc have to be a non negotiable bare minimum. Casey where deserved for the under-performers (after they've been given a fair chance to demonstrate that they've learned the new style/roles they've been set) if they don't hit their benchmarks or beyond over set time frames/limits.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Add Rivers. Too easily mismatched in a Body contest.

Sellar must come in.

Prior to his injury time out, looked like he was gonna be an absolute gun. Played taller than his height would suggest and was a marking machine with an ability to climb over a taller opponent to spoil/ or mark. After the come back, he's only shown small patches of this early form and promise. Intensity and attack at the ball just isn't there anymore on a consistent basis. And yes, he has plenty of friends in this area atm.

A left field thought here....might be time to try a complete change up. Ask him to play a half forward role (certainly NOT a KF role however) at Casey for 5 to 6 weeks. Have someone coach and watch him a little (eg., Lyon/Ox....someone with forward pedigree). Take him out of his comfort zone and see how he handles it. Along with many senior mates, his AFL career is in the balance IMO and he'll need to do something special or different for the remainder of the season if he hopes to continue with the MFC under Neeld post 2012.

Feel free to can this idea with plenty of vitriol lol. I'm not necessarily sold on it as such myself.....just putting it out there.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Agreed. But are those in the wings up to it NOW?

Can we cover the one on one loss that freeing up Garland would create? Essentially you would be replacing Garland, not Rivers.

It depends if you think were vying for the top 6, or if were developing our boys for the future?

Prior to his injury time out, looked like he was gonna be an absolute gun. Played taller than his height would suggest and was a marking machine with an ability to climb over a taller opponent to spoil/ or mark. After the come back, he's only shown small patches of this early form and promise. Intensity and attack at the ball just isn't there anymore on a consistent basis. And yes, he has plenty of friends in this area atm.

A left field thought here....might be time to try a complete change up. Ask him to play a half forward role (certainly NOT a KF role however) at Casey for 5 to 6 weeks. Have someone coach and watch him a little (eg., Lyon/Ox....someone with forward pedigree). Take him out of his comfort zone and see how he handles it. Along with many senior mates, his AFL career is in the balance IMO and he'll need to do something special or different for the remainder of the season if he hopes to continue with the MFC under Neeld post 2012.

Feel free to can this idea with plenty of vitriol lol. I'm not necessarily sold on it as such myself.....just putting it out there.

10 points for original thinking. It's worth a try. I agree. He does read the play and shows creativity with his timing to a contest & judgement.

Hi PSD how are you feeling over in the west?

Hope you are not going next saturday

It is going to be very ordinary.

I reckon 100+ loss is on the way.

I'll be there Old Dee, red & blue through & through, it can'' be as bad as last year. I''m not expecting a win I just want to see effort and if that means playing kids so be it. Pride in the jumper is what I want my 4 year old lights up when he gets to go & see the Dees play & to meet them at training I just wish they loved the jumper the way he and I do and as much as I hate to say it the way my 5 year old loves the Pies jumper.

I expect 4 changes at least, Davey of old used to burn up the turf at Subi but those days are gone and this reason may be Blease's only reprieve play him off half back, Barty has to stay in and not worrying about anything except wearing Kerr like a glove, 3 tall defenders Garland, Frawley & Sellar get the jobs on Kennedy, Lynch & Darling. Tappy & Strauss need to play to kick over the Eagles Press. Martin & Russian go tandem against Cox & Nic Nat. Petterd if fit needs to come in. So for me Davey, Rivers, Mcdonald, Blease, Green & Moloney are in the gun although I think Moloney will be safe as we really need to win the clearances

By the way West Perth beat the Royals in the Perth derby after coming back from 5 goals down in the last 1/4 so my weekend wasn't totally ruined

It depends if you think were vying for the top 6, or if were developing our boys for the future?

I'm thinking more to stick to the 'master plan'.

If you want the players to learn the game plan then it would be advantageous to have the parts working to as close to optimal as possible. To do that, you would have to get the best at what they do NOW so the rest of the pieces can learn their roles too. If the under-developed were in there, the actions, reactions and adjustments would be different to the original plan.

Maybe not but 19 votes in the Brownlow suggests he can play a little bit.

There's no way I'd drop him on the strength of one poor game, especially when he's been our best player in an are we got smashed in - clearances.

He has enough runs on the board to deserve a chance to redeem himself

Thats' my take but if you want to have him dropped, that's your opinion & fair enough.

Who would you like to see replace him....... Jamie Bennell perhaps ?

I am not yet totally insane yet GTB

• Like 1

I'll be there Old Dee, red & blue through & through, it can'' be as bad as last year. I''m not expecting a win I just want to see effort and if that means playing kids so be it. Pride in the jumper is what I want my 4 year old lights up when he gets to go & see the Dees play & to meet them at training I just wish they loved the jumper the way he and I do and as much as I hate to say it the way my 5 year old loves the Pies jumper.

I expect 4 changes at least, Davey of old used to burn up the turf at Subi but those days are gone and this reason may be Blease's only reprieve play him off half back, Barty has to stay in and not worrying about anything except wearing Kerr like a glove, 3 tall defenders Garland, Frawley & Sellar get the jobs on Kennedy, Lynch & Darling. Tappy & Strauss need to play to kick over the Eagles Press. Martin & Russian go tandem against Cox & Nic Nat. Petterd if fit needs to come in. So for me Davey, Rivers, Mcdonald, Blease, Green & Moloney are in the gun although I think Moloney will be safe as we really need to win the clearances

By the way West Perth beat the Royals in the Perth derby after coming back from 5 goals down in the last 1/4 so my weekend wasn't totally ruined

Good result for the mighty Falcons.

Better keep taking your 4 year old to see West Perth he has a chance at some football joy

in his life.

I think the dees are a lost cause for the rest of this decade

With regard to Moloney, since coming over from Geelong he has been a consistent preformer (injurys also aside) and his work with Jamar over the last two years has been good. Green, loyal to the club, but doesn't look 100% committed. Captaincy didn't allow it last year, suggest a spell in the twos. Davey, I have never seen anyone with less of an interest to chase. Unsure, realistically, if he would currently get a game with GC or GWS. Needs a looooooong spell in the twos.

With regard to Moloney, since coming over from Geelong he has been a consistent preformer (injurys also aside) and his work with Jamar over the last two years has been good. Green, loyal to the club, but doesn't look 100% committed. Captaincy didn't allow it last year, suggest a spell in the twos. Davey, I have never seen anyone with less of an interest to chase. Unsure, realistically, if he would currently get a game with GC or GWS. Needs a looooooong spell in the twos.

Could we trade him to them?

if we got nothing it would get his salary off the books

Nice summary.

Blease needs to be given at least 3 to 4 more chances at half back before demotion IMO.

If i can just add..... I would bring Dunn in for Green.

We also need other 'run with' players to go with Priddis and to rest Barty off Kerr when needed. Maybe we sacrifice Moloney (if he has the legs) or just rotate Moloney/Jones/Bail onto Priddis as well as onto Kerr to give Barty a rest as required. Barty can't be expected to counter Kerr all day, just too good and so strong through the bod and hips. The other option might be education. What better way for young players to be shown where to run and how to position themselves than rotating off Kerr to assist Barty. I'm thinking Bail and Magner here. Big ask and no doubt we'd lose on the match up (probably lose no matter who we put on him) but what have we got to lose, and they'll gain plenty from this.

• Like 1