• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah: charged, on bail and discussion closed for now

dee-luded

I've seen many players come and go, but with the exception of Troy Broadbridge, I have never felt so heartbroken and shattered.

This just cannot be the end for Jurrah and I hope we stick by him and help him, because football has the power to save his life and help his family and he deserves that opportunity so much.

• Like 6

I don't understand why people continue to post things like "I don't know the full details, but..." You either wait for the full details to emerge or you don't, there's no real in between and no good comes from prematurely hypothesizing.

I also get that this is an MFC site, but how the MFC is people's first thought on hearing a young man is in custody is sad IMO. The MFC's concerns are a distant second (or wherever) here.

MFC player or normal citizen, brutally shanking a member of society in the face with a machete is far far beyond the line where I should begin to feel sorry for them in custody. I have no sympathy even if he is found guilty of carrying around the object in question praying he was not involved in the assaults because he assumed responsibility of leading his community, and the events of Wednesday night have undoubtedly left the community in worse shape now.

Innocent bystanders dont get Charged....Liam was arrested and charged..

I would be very surprised if Liam ever pulls on another Melbourne jumper.

Very sad.....what a waste of talent.

Edited by DeeZee

So they are holding a meeting now then, 8am?

Do we know anymore, he (assuming he is one of the 23 year olds) will be going into court today sometime?

Is anyone else puzzled with the quote in the age saying his family doesn't seem to worried? This is the ONLY sign that points to him not being involved.

MFC player or normal citizen, brutally shanking a member of society in the face with a machete is far far beyond the line where I should begin to feel sorry for them in custody. I have no sympathy even if he is found guilty of carrying around the object in question praying he was not involved in the assaults because he assumed responsibility of leading his community, and the events of Wednesday night have undoubtedly left the community in worse shape now.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear - I find the whole situation sad.

[/q

Innocent bystanders dont get Charged....Liam was arrested and charged..

I would be very surprised if Liam ever pulls on another Melbourne jumper.

Very sad.....what a waste of talent.

You can be almost certain of that I would have thought. There's close to zero chance he'll ever pull on another Melbourne jumper - and rightly so.

This explains a bit about the situation.

http://www.theage.co...0308-1unbd.html

It seem that it is very complicated and that Liam should have taken the advice of his family and returned to Melbourne.

Thanks for sharing this. A very open article that everyone should read before jumping to conclusions on situation and character.

This whole situation is so sad.

• Like 1

I think as a club the MFC and all supporters should get right behind LJ and take a moment to think about how hard it must be for someone so young to have so much responsibility and pressure put on them and how hard that must be. I do not condone what is being alleged to have happened. I just think we need to show Liam that he has a family here in Melbourne that supports him no matter what, not just when it suits us.

• Like 3

There is an article on www.smh.com.au which gives a little bit additional information on the more recent background to the incident. I thought this mornings article in the Age by Martin Flanagan was good balanced journalism. If the allegations are true our concerns have to be now with Liam and his immediate family not whether he will ever play in the red and blue again. There are abviously much broader issues here than just the little football world we live in on this site. I am confident though that the Club will do all it can to assist Liam and his community to work through this.

• Like 1

I think as a club the MFC and all supporters should get right behind LJ and take a moment to think about how hard it must be for someone so young to have so much responsibility and pressure put on them and how hard that must be. I do not condone what is being alleged to have happened. I just think we need to show Liam that he has a family here in Melbourne that supports him no matter what, not just when it suits us.

Yes, well said.

The MFC should stand by him through this mess until adjudication. We gain nothing as a community by abandoning him now.

This is character showing time.

Resolute to the controversy and respectful of the law.

• Like 4

[/q

You can be almost certain of that I would have thought. There's close to zero chance he'll ever pull on another Melbourne jumper - and rightly so.

What if the charges are unfounded??? Will you welcome LJ with open arms? Gee, you seem to have thrown him under the bus without waiting to see what happens in the future. LJ needs ALL of our support - not this!

• Like 2

At best...I can't see Jurrah playing until this issue is resolved...I think MFC will bring him back to melbourne and support him until such time.

But clearly family comes first...that's why Liam was there.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear - I find the whole situation sad.

That I do understand. People, myself including will be saying things over the top because in our selfish nature we just want things back to the way they were. At the end of the day playing footy or just as a person it's scary to think of Liam other than that smile after kicking goals. Shall we band together and get behind him, in the hope that these charges are exonerated for the footballer and more importantly as you mentioned, the person.

Well said Dee-Bortoli. The hardest thing is physical assault like this is an issue that hits home so hard. Sadly, there will be individuals, families amongst us who have been affected by such actions and it is unacceptable. We all want to be behind him 100% but from a personal perspective, I find it difficult to keep backing him up as it goes from involved to investigated to charged.

Unbelievable - we have a professional sportsman here representing one of the oldest clubs in the world, who requests personal leave from the club on the outset of what is one of our most important seasons in memory, is then arrested and charged with possession, intent, and causing serious injury (all with a machete mind you) and you're crying for support?

Im sick of this cliche and fashionable attitude - "A very open article that everyone should read before jumping to conclusions on situation and character". Give me a break..

Regardless of any explanation, he has no place at the Melbourne Football Club following this incident. End of story. I say and comment nothing on his personal situation as I know nothing of it nor of the trials and tribulations his position in the Yuendemu community puts him through, save to say that I wish him all the best with what must be a tough time for him.

Edited by BennytheJet
  • Like 2

Thinking of everyone involved from the gentleman in hospital, to Liam's partner and her sister to Liam himself and all of the folks who have worked so hard in getting Liam to Melbourne (the city and the club) and who I'm sure will be working even harder to assist Liam in life going forward.

Unbelievable - we have a professional sportsman here representing one of the oldest clubs in the world, who requests personal leave from the club on the outset of what is one of our most important seasons in memory, is then arrested and charged with possession, intent, and causing serious injury (all with a machete mind you) and you're crying for support?

Im sick of this cliche and fashionable attitude - "A very open article that everyone should read before jumping to conclusions on situation and character". Give me a break..

Regardless of any explanation, he has no place at the Melbourne Football Club following this incident. End of story. I say and comment nothing on his personal situation as I know nothing of it nor of the trials and tribulations his position in the Yuendemu community puts him through, save to say that I wish him all the best with what must be a tough time for him.

So if it is found that he has no part in the viscious assault and was just caught up in the brawl (with his only family members) you would tell him that he is not welcome back at the club.

I tell ya what, if my family was involved in a brawl, i wouldnt give a [censored] who I played for/worked for or anything, I would be there protecting the ones I loved. They are the most important thing in my life. Period.

Get off your high horse

• Like 4

You know nothing, as you say, but you cast judgment?

We employ him, and until adjudication we should stand by him.

If he pleas and says he committed a terrible crime then we can break our ties at that stage but, as I keep on saying, nothing is black and white in this world and we shouldn't make rash decisions without all the facts. The justice system will do what it does, and we go from there.

Australia has its challenges, and one is being laid bare at the moment, we are caught up in it and I want the MFC to represent our community as a reasonable and respectful player in this mess.

• Like 1

So if it is found that he has no part in the viscious assault and was just caught up in the brawl (with his only family members) you would tell him that he is not welcome back at the club.

I tell ya what, if my family was involved in a brawl, i wouldnt give a [censored] who I played for/worked for or anything, I would be there protecting the ones I loved. They are the most important thing in my life. Period.

Get off your high horse

Mate it's the complete opposite, Im on the low horse here - "I tell ya what, if my family was involved in a brawl, i wouldnt give a [censored] who I played for/worked for or anything, I would be there protecting the ones I loved. They are the most important thing in my life. Period." How hypothetically noble of you, as would I, and I too would be expected to lose my job over it (amongst many other things)

Yes, I would absolutely tell him he has no place at the club even if he 'just got caught up in the brawl', even though Im not quite sure what 'just getting caught up' in a machete fight entails.

Edited by BennytheJet
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people continue to post things like "I don't know the full details, but..." You either wait for the full details to emerge or you don't, there's no real in between and no good comes from prematurely hypothesizing.

I also get that this is an MFC site, but how the MFC is people's first thought on hearing a young man is in custody is sad IMO. The MFC's concerns are a distant second (or wherever) here.

Two very sensible posts amongst the dross. Well said.

• Like 2