Training - Friday 27th January, 2012

Angelus BTVS

Training today at Gosch's Paddock.

I got there at about 10.am and saw 1½ hours of training. About 15 -20 other spectators were scattered round ground over duration of training.

Things noticed were, Jack Watts' polish with ball in hand and seems to be able to hold position against the bigger bodies a lot better i.e. in competitive drills against likes of Sellar.

Jack Grimes looking good to go for start of season; he looks like has built upper body strength fair bit.

Jack Viney was doing repeat 300m runs with LJ and, as they continued, Viney left LJ in his wake. Viney looks built to go now one of the most well-built 17yr olds you would see. If he plays u18 this year it would do nothing for him, he would dominate.

Tom McDonald up forward in drills looked impressive but of concern to me is his delay in getting boot to ball in timely manner although once he does, he generally hits his target. However in competitive AFL matches he will have less time to spot up his targets.

The lads had a short burst of goalkicking practice with Green and Watts consistently accurate.

At about 10.30 the boys had some structured match practice led by Neeld which lasted for about 45 minutes with breaks every 10 minutes or so. It was heavily focused on playing the boundary line and stoppage work. Standouts here for me were Trengove (great footy brain) provides teammates with time and puts ball to their advantage. Jamar just goes about his business clearly the only true ruckman we have to operate with right now and so cannot afford him to go down at all. Nicholson gets so much of the ball by positioning himself in the right spots I just hope that his awareness improves once he has the ball as him getting it doesn’t necessarily translate to a clean clearance for his teammates.

If only Morton had Nicholson’s attitude and desire but unfortunately I still see Cale as unfulfilled potential due to lack of desire to push himself.

Leigh Williams was impressive in the contest clearly has a competitive streak in him and so does Mitch Clark who will be an outstanding presence on the field, Clark definitely has a bit of mongrel in him.

The boys then split off again into a repeat lead drill where the 6 forwards would supply blocks for one another and repeat leads while the coaches would honour 1 of the leads this would have been very taxing on the players as it was performed at high intensity and for most part the defenders were very good in particular Jamie Bennell impressed with his ability to beat his forward opponents.

While the forwards and back were involved in the repeat lead drill a midfield group was going the some centre setup work. I was surprised at how small this group was it featured Jamar and Fitzy rucking to JT, Bate, Nicho, Gysberts, Beamer and I believe Magner. Looks to be a case of you only enter the centre of the ground if you have the body to play as an inside mid.

James Strauss appeared to be moving reasonably freely which was a really positive sign.

Over the other side of the ground McKenzie, Spencer, Bartram and believe Tappy were doing running drills together.

All in all it was an impressive session I really believe there should be massive improvement this season the coaching to me seems far more structured with the players not having much down time and learning the structures right under the nose of the coaches. Previously under Bailey I noticed him doing a lot of teaching out on the ground while players just stood in a position listening while not really being involved in a hands on degree, which is what I’m noticing is different under Neeld’s teaching all the coaches seem to have the players attention a lot more due to them being more interactive with their guidance to the players.

Note I didn’t see likes of Davey, Sylvia or Jones.

• Like 8

From those Photos all our guys are bigger through the shoulders and considering the amount of running they have been doing this is good. Our players just look different players to what we saw last year. We expected to see good body devlopement from our younger guys but even Green looks bigger and Moloney looks in better condition not bigger, it looks to me his body shape has changed not so top heavy more balanced with his muscle mass.

• Like 2

loving the size of chip in those photos.....im looking for him to get back the AA form of 2010

Absolutely.

Looking forward to him throwing Travis Cloke around like a rag doll... Or am I getting ahead of myself?

I was down there as well to check out the match practice. It was a scrappy affair - but only because it was so hotly contested.

I don't know what Neeld had told the players but it did look like the way he wanted them to move it out of defence was by repeatedly chipping it short around the boundary - dare I say it - Collingwood style. I look forward to seeing this strategy abandoned approximately 8-10 minutes into the 2012 season.

Stef Martin really stood out to me today, his mobility and leaping for marks (and taking them) was great to see - I reckon we'll see him go up yet another level again this year.

Magner was solid but looks noticeably less explosive than most of our midfielders.

Blease's pace was fantastic - it buys him more time than any other player but his kicking let him down.

In terms of Fitzpatrick - well..I admit I've never been a fan of his but I always keep a close eye on him.

He was in the ruck against Jamar and was absolutely monstered as you would expect. He probably won about 1 in every 10-12 ball ups. He still looks ungainly and seems to lack confidence in the way he moves i.e I have more than once seen him fall over with nobody around him.

He found himself in the forward line at one point, the ball came in high, he got a good block from another forward, went for a relatively simple grab and unfortunately .... it hit him straight in the face. I had to laugh. A little later he went for a long kick out of defence under little pressure and it helicoptered straight to an opponent in he middle of the ground. Most things he tries do not turn out well for him at this stage. I wish him all the best in his development but I would be very surprised if he gets into the senior team this year based on the size we recruited.

Hot & humid day on the track - I was sweating it up just sitting in the shade.

Thanks for the report Angelus, How was Fitzpatrick going, havent heard much about him.

It was all ruck duties for him today and working with the midfield group, he ran with Jamar for the 45 minute match practice drill. No doubting his speed and athleticism for a big bloke (200cm) but i think its just a case of waiting for the switch to go on that make's him want the ball more and demand the ball more. It can take awhile to click as it did for Jamar but once it does all of a sudden the big blokes just have a presence about them. I hope Fitzy gets to that point where it clicks for him but so many just dont get there.

One thing though is our forward line could potentially be the biggest in the league the way we could lineup with likes of M.Clark, S.Martin, J.Watts, J.Howe looking as if they could all work in the same forward line together Watts and Howe have the footy smarts and motors to not congest to close to the bigger blokes and they are repeatedly beating thier opponents from what i have seen over the duration of pre season so far. in my own opinion this could potentially be Melbournes most damaging forward line i have seen since 94' when we had Jaka, Lyon, Schwarz, Pike and Charles. Its the charles type we are blatantly missing but hopefully someone will bob up be it likes of a Davey, Blease, Jetta etc. 2 types of players we need IMO is an out and out small forward that can kick a goal and tackle, and a quick midfielder that can break the lines and use the ball, as at the moment Blease has neither the tank or body to play midfield all day and he is the only guy on the list with the pace and poise we need running thru the middle. Jack Viney will help with the quality midfield grunt we also need, cannot wait to see him in a demons jumper the kid already puts enormous effort into his training that 1 or 2 of the listed players could well follow. The great thing is the vast majority of players are putting in like i havent seen for quite some time.

• Like 1

"and a quick midfielder that can break the lines and use the ball, as at the moment Blease has neither the tank or body to play midfield all day and he is the only guy on the list with the pace and poise we need running thru the middle."

You make a good point about the potential of our forward line, however I wouldn't dismiss either Bail and Nicholson as highly effective mids. Both have the tank for the mid field and the leg speed. Granted not as explosive as Blease who has the potential to be devastating.

I have read re Blease that he is blistering in speed but he blots the copybook slightly with his disposal.. no good blazing out and sending it straight to the opposition so we can only hope that that speed is soon to be matched with some great accuracy..

He is a twig though and if they catch him, they will pulverise him at the moment.. needs to bulk up a fair bit.. luckily he has some rather tough teammates who hopefully will shepherd the thugs away..

Guest Spirit of 39

If you haven't been to training thus far in the preseason make an effort to get down next week. They will be doing a lot more match simulation and getting ready for the NAB Cup and season proper. The players can not wait. This will give us further insight into the style of footy we will play in 2012, which area of the ground each player will be playing in, and who Neeld will be looking at giving first opportunity to.

We're not far away now!

Funny thing about Blease being 'twiggy' and easily broken - Jordie McKenzie isn't actually a much heavier build but there's something about him that makes him seem completely indestructible.

By coincidence, Blease and Scully were also the same height and weight.

I don't know what Neeld had told the players but it did look like the way he wanted them to move it out of defence was by repeatedly chipping it short around the boundary - dare I say it - Collingwood style.

From what I have read over the years, it's my understanding that Neeld was the mastermind of the around the boundary game style, and Malthouse liked what he saw of it and endorsed that game plan.

From what I have read over the years, it's my understanding that Neeld was the mastermind of the around the boundary game style, and Malthouse liked what he saw of it and endorsed that game plan.

i remember the first time i sore that gamestile and i coodnt beleave my i's!

I'm kidding deeflog. I just see everyone else be annoying at over-correcting and I thought I was due.

Thanks to all, especially Angelus BTVS (whatever that means).

I was particularly excited by your opening statement re Watts holding up in big man body contests: hopefully this will be his real breakout year - I know he progressed a lot last year but just wasn't a game breaker (but then, who was for that matter?). Now is the time, Jack.

GO DEMONS

Training today at Gosch's Paddock.

Jack Viney was doing repeat 300m runs with LJ and, as they continued, Viney left LJ in his wake. Viney looks built to go now one of the most well-built 17yr olds you would see. If he plays u18 this year it would do nothing for him, he would dominate.

If only Morton had Nicholson’s attitude and desire but unfortunately I still see Cale as unfulfilled potential due to lack of desire to push himself.

While the forwards and back were involved in the repeat lead drill a midfield group was going the some centre setup work. I was surprised at how small this group was it featured Jamar and Fitzy rucking to JT, Bate, Nicho, Gysberts, Beamer and I believe Magner. Looks to be a case of you only enter the centre of the ground if you have the body to play as an inside mid.

Gysberts has a body to play inside mid? Must have put on a bit over the break!

Cale, sadly I agree with you.

Viney. A question. Isn't it in our best interest for him not to dominate anything this year?? All we can do is raise the draft pick that others will offer for him. If he dominates and Hawthorn offers, say their first pick - we are then obliged to use our first pick are we not? There is no chance we will not take him so clubs have got nothing to lose by offering a high pick. Could someone pls clarify??

Gysberts has a body to play inside mid? Must have put on a bit over the break!

Cale, sadly I agree with you.

Viney. A question. Isn't it in our best interest for him not to dominate anything this year?? All we can do is raise the draft pick that others will offer for him. If he dominates and Hawthorn offers, say their first pick - we are then obliged to use our first pick are we not? There is no chance we will not take him so clubs have got nothing to lose by offering a high pick. Could someone pls clarify??

Viney will, in all likelihood, be considered a first-round pick irrespective of his form this year. Therefore we're going to have to use our first pick to get him regardless.

we could trade our 2 scully compensations picks for a young gun midfielder and then we would only have to give up a 2nd rounder for Viney. That might be an option too. Because if a club offers to use their 1st round on Viney, then we are obliged to use our NEXT AVAILABLE pick AFTER our first round pick. If we don't have any other 1st round picks then we can use our 2nd round.

Edited by Freak

we could trade our 2 scully compensations picks for a young gun midfielder and then we would only have to give up a 2nd rounder for Viney. That might be an option too. Because if a club offers to use their 1st round on Viney, then we are obliged to use our NEXT AVAILABLE pick AFTER our first round pick. If we don't have any other 1st round picks then we can use our 2nd round.

That makes no sense. If we trade both our compensation picks then we will still have our original 1st round pick. We will be forced to use this pick on Viney. And besides, selecting father son picks is done the week BEFORE trade week. Therefore we not be able to trade anything before nominating a pick to select Viney with.