• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Wednesday 18th January, 2012 at Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

Yeah I went down for an hour or so.

Jurrah, Tapscott, Blease, Williams and one other who I couldn't see (could have been Tynan/Taggert) went off onto a separate oval to do what looked like medium distance running.

At Casey you can't see both ovals at once so couldn't really make out what they were doing but they were over there for over an hour.

The main group consisted of 25ish players but the players who I didn't notice participating were Grimes, Jamar, Sylvia, Cook, Jetta, Davey and Bartram.

They started the session with some warm up kicking and then a very sharp handball drill. Skills were up, however some players lacked a bit of intensity. Some things I noticed were:

- J. Watts needs to up his intensity, look a bit more interested and look like he is working hard. Seemed to just go through the motions and look bored.

- Joel Mac was very clean and working very hard making sure he was pushing right through. Skills looked great.

- Fitz..... The only one who didn't look sharp. I do not know how he has played a senior game. They must see something in him that I can't.

After this they split into two groups doing some contested work in the goal square, however I only saw one end so comments are a little bit limited.

- Bennell has really improved his one-on-one and gets in great positions. Leigh Brown very happy with his efforts in this drill

- Cale Morton battles with strength but persisted and persisted (looks like he should be playing in the Aus Open)

- Howe has unbelievable hang-time, he jumps, holds, then marks. What a gun.

- Jones has been working on his kicking style I reckon, slightly changed for the better.

Then after that drill, they just did some goal kicking.

- Funny how good they all are with no pressure however Fitz struggled and Martin put one out of the full.

They then had a drink and a mini break.

- JT and Moloney are very vocal and natural leaders. Always on the jog and always yapping.

- Frawley is the popular one in the group, they all get around him whenever they can. I think he is too much everyone’s mate to be the captain of this team.

After the break they went into a stoppage, full ground drill which was great to see. I could hear the coaches harping on the defensive pressure and it seemed a real focus in this drill. The intensity was right up and the skills were reasonably good too. Some things I noticed in this one

- Watts took a nice mark over JT and was happy about it

- Green is all class, need 2 of him, one in the forward line and one in the midfield would be perfect.

- Joel Mac was looking good

- Ricky Petterd had a nice smother which lead to a score

- Garland was very instructive of his defenders around him.

- Tommy Mac was playing as a forward

- Rivers is a natural leader too

They had another break for goal kicking.

- Clark can kick a goal!

- They all joke around with Green about being old, needing a wheelchair, calling him fossil etc.

- Dunn has slightly changed his routine, looks better than his old one with the ball waving all over the place.

After their goal kicking break, they went into a clearance/stoppage drill which ended up having to pick the right option up forward. From where I could see there were a lot more defenders then forwards down there which made the execution crucial. It was full contact, full pressure and full on.

- Jade was harping about defence the whole time, I really like his instructions, I learnt a lot for my own game by listening to his words.

- Jones was always yapping and ordering people around

- Bate had a shocking kick where literally the whole group cringed at. Jade was angry but it was pretty funny actually.

- Great lead and mark from Clark into the dead pocket, hard kick and missed.

- Nicho has a shaved head and soooooo quick! Going to be a gun!

- Watts needs to look more hungry in his drill too.

They continued a similar drill but moved the stoppage into CHB.

- Joel Mac sells JT into trouble and stuffs the drill, Mac very angry with himself.

- Magner can tackle!

- Gys kicked a lovely long goal

- Howe was showing some class on the half forward line, he will definitely be playing there this year.

- Martin loves to play on, pity he can't kick.

- The coaches really get stuck into Magner, maybe he is lazy or maybe they need him to work harder on his fitness?

- Bate has picked up some pace.

- Love Mitch Clark

The last drill I saw before I left was a one-on-one drill down in the goal square with Jade (they also had the video camera out)

- Jade very instructive and supportive

- Cale is not strong

- Garland has amazing body position

- Bennell is looking great in these drills

The drill then turned to focus on three efforts, a spoil, run to make another spoil and then go back with the flight. Was a great drill!

- Loving Jade's work

So overall that’s some of the notes I took from what I saw. It was a good solid session but would have loved to see more of the players out there and a bigger turn out by the Dees faithful (maybe only about 30?)

Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 6

Great write-up daveytrain1!

Christ it is sad, but I really hang out for these reports. :unsure::lol:

• Like 2

amazing report.

How was Taggert, Viney and Tynan?

Did not spot them out there.

I think Taggert was with the rehab group on the other oval but not really sure unfortunately.

Viney was not out there either.

First time at a training sesh, first time on here as well......

First impressions, Jurrah is a lot taller than I had thought; makes his athleticism more impressive.

Beamer and Magner are stand outs because of their size.

Chip did most of the talking in the warm up and was asking the boys for more than Monday, saying that Monday was terrible.

Greeny was loud but joking around a lot early on. Once the ball work started I was suprised by Clark's foot skills, was very sharp. 

After some handball drills which looked very clean, they went into a transition drill, in which the first thing I noticed was Sellar looking slow and making poor decisions in congestion. As opposed to daveytrain, I thought Watts stood out in this drill, moving all over the ground confidently and winning 1 on 1s consistently. Garland's run also shone in this drill,  just taking players on. I thought Jones skills looked sub standard even when in the clear. 

At one stage Watts ran down JB trapping the ball in the fwd line, which impressed me. Dunn looked like he needs to slim down a bit, very solid. Sellar was full back on Martin and doing well, but to me Martin just doesnt look like a forward. 

During the set shots I noticed Bate very rarely missed, very good shot. The fact that every drill involved hitting up leading forwards gives me hope that our fwd line might actually click this year and could be very dangerous. I was impressed by Gysberts' skills in pressure, one of my favourite players but looked good. Magner seemed to be very quite in the contested drills, needs a voice as it was costing him touches. 

I was expecting Howe to be bigger. Jmac continues to miss kicks and handballs AFL players shouldn't, he's a worry for me.

Ricky P was great across half forward, and I think he is gonna be a star, could have a big year. looked strong, fast and a great contested mark.

The backs started recording one on one body work during marking contests, in which Sellar impressed me, but you would expect him to when he's that big. 

The next drill where the midfielders worked it round before hitting up the fwd's saw Nicho playing the loose QB role out the back of the pack. Beamer looked like he was playing against kids, and dominated. Bate was clean and creative. At one stage Trenners outbodied and then marked against Martin. The kid is gonna be a superstar. 

In the next 1v1 handball drill Beamer made sure he went against Morton, which I saw as a tactic to get him a bit more physical. Just my opinions, could be wrong but its what I took out of the sesh.

• Like 2

I was there too.

I will not give a drill by drill run down, as it has already been done.

That being said, I cannot remember any of our sessions in the past few seasons being as organised, structured and purposeful as today.

All the drills were done at full pace and under match conditions. There was barely any rest in the drills. You can see Neeld is very big on contested football, 1 on 1 football and decision making. All the drills incorporated body contact, pressure and running.

As a teacher and coach myself, I know there is a large focus on "game sense" which is basically learning and practising under actual match conditions or in match simulation, and that is what Neeld is brining in. I know personally I would rather incorporate all my running into drills rather than a 400m sprint. You will find most players will work harder to chase the ball than following a white line.

There was also a large focus on running both ways, where the ball would be pumped into the forward line for the defenders to take the ball out to the other end, and the forward needed to put pressure on or get the ball off the defenders. Once the ball got to the other end all the players had to run back and the drill would begin straight away again.

Viney was with Blease and Jurrah etc doing some other running. Taggert and Tynan were not there.

Some interesting things I noted:

* Morton was playing as a defender in most drills.

* Nicho was playing in the midfield and I think there is no doubt he will be on the list before the season begins.

* Tom Mac and Watts were getting plenty of practise deep in the forward line.

* Howe will be a GUN. Will play as a leading CHF and dominate. He is almost the best mark in the league! I know that is a big statement

but his hands when on the lead at full pace are fantastic.

* Martin, Tom Mac, Watts and Fitzy all need to learn from Howe on how hard to attack the ball and hopefully get cleaner hands.

* Bennell was training with the backs, maybe one of our running defenders, he just needs to get more of the ball in the game.

* Jack Viney is a large unit, however they are carefully monitoring his training.

* there was no actual running, it was all done in the drills, which I think is better as it is more realistic.

* Garland showed poise and speed. He shows he has the ability to become a more attacking defender.

* For me the most impressive trainers were Howe, Garland, Moloney and Nicho.

* We may not be the greatest team this year, however I believe everything we are doing at the moment is the best training I have seen in years, but of course this is training and not an actual game!

Also happy to answer any questions, as I have been to several sessions while I am on holidays!

• Like 2

I

I was there too.

I will not give a drill by drill run down, as it has already been done.

That being said, I cannot remember any of our sessions in the past few seasons being as organised, structured and purposeful as today.

All the drills were done at full pace and under match conditions. There was barely any rest in the drills. You can see Neeld is very big on contested football, 1 on 1 football and decision making. All the drills incorporated body contact, pressure and running.

As a teacher and coach myself, I know there is a large focus on "game sense" which is basically learning and practising under actual match conditions or in match simulation, and that is what Neeld is brining in. I know personally I would rather incorporate all my running into drills rather than a 400m sprint. You will find most players will work harder to chase the ball than following a white line.

There was also a large focus on running both ways, where the ball would be pumped into the forward line for the defenders to take the ball out to the other end, and the forward needed to put pressure on or get the ball off the defenders. Once the ball got to the other end all the players had to run back and the drill would begin straight away again.

Viney was with Blease and Jurrah etc doing some other running. Taggert and Tynan were not there.

Some interesting things I noted:

* Morton was playing as a defender in most drills.

* Nicho was playing in the midfield and I think there is no doubt he will be on the list before the season begins.

* Tom Mac and Watts were getting plenty of practise deep in the forward line.

* Howe will be a GUN. Will play as a leading CHF and dominate. He is almost the best mark in the league! I know that is a big statement

but his hands when on the lead at full pace are fantastic.

* Martin, Tom Mac, Watts and Fitzy all need to learn from Howe on how hard to attack the ball and hopefully get cleaner hands.

* Bennell was training with the backs, maybe one of our running defenders, he just needs to get more of the ball in the game.

* Jack Viney is a large unit, however they are carefully monitoring his training.

* there was no actual running, it was all done in the drills, which I think is better as it is more realistic.

* Garland showed poise and speed. He shows he has the ability to become a more attacking defender.

* For me the most impressive trainers were Howe, Garland, Moloney and Nicho.

* We may not be the greatest team this year, however I believe everything we are doing at the moment is the best training I have seen in years, but of course this is training and not an actual game!

Also happy to answer any questions, as I have been to several sessions while I am on holidays!

Thanks for that Yoko...how does our training compare to this time last year?

I think our training in previous years had been a little too simple, just your every day drills that you would see at local clubs. There would be more drills using cones and following them.

The drills done today were done under pressure, usually with a player right on the other players back, so if the kick or mark was no good the drill was stopped.

The drills were also more real, where the balls were pumped into the forward half with mongrel kicks to make it more difficult to read, not simply popped into the air gently.

To put it simply, it also seems the players are working harder and trying harder than I have seen previously.

But as I said before, it does not mean it will translate into the game, we can just hope it does!

From what I saw in the drills both his skills and decision making were fine, nothing stood out, either in a good or bad way. I am prepared to allow him 1 or 2 errors in a game in order to have his running ability, line breaking speed and long, penetrating kick.

Ill second, third and fourth the splendid reporting.. a credit to you all...thanks :) Had to pass Casey but of days was Tuesday :((

Cant wait to see Howe in action... im drooling at the prospect of an actual and effective forward line. This will be a different team to the one im used to....marvellous :)

Is Sellars fully fit ?

Tic tic ...how many days now ..lol

I haven't seen it elsewhere. So I'll post it here.I have an unconfirmed feeling blease is injured. I follow blease on twitter. He tweeted. the other day that American tennis player-Andy Roderick was at Victoria house. That's where people go for x-rays, ct, mri and ultra sounds etc. I wonder what blease was there for?

Ricky P was great across half forward, and I think he is gonna be a star, could have a big year. looked strong, fast and a great contested mark.

With all the hype surrounding our forward line, I'm surprised to have heard very little about Pettard. We saw some great signs of him early on in 2010 until he did his shoulder. Could have a big year.

I haven't seen it elsewhere. So I'll post it here.I have an unconfirmed feeling blease is injured. I follow blease on twitter. He tweeted. the other day that American tennis player-Andy Roderick was at Victoria house. That's where people go for x-rays, ct, mri and ultra sounds etc. I wonder what blease was there for?

Couldn't he have been there for a check-up on his leg? Don't start stressing just yet

With all the hype surrounding our forward line, I'm surprised to have heard very little about Pettard. We saw some great signs of him early on in 2010 until he did his shoulder. Could have a big year.

He seems to go under the radar, i remember when there was talk he would go to GC I was shattered, as you said he had dominated some games in 2010 and is still just a kid really. Could be a real smokey this year in a team putting it forward more often.

What is wrong with Tappy and Davey? I was hoping for a big pre season from Davey under a new coaching set up.